• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character balance...

Fox McCl0ud

Smash Apprentice
Do you think the characters will be alot more balanced this time around???

shadydentist

Smash Lord
Its impossible to say at the moment, but I'm going to hazard a no, merely because balancing 35 characters is quite a difficult task.

-Knux-

Smash Ace
A lot of people have noticed that they feel more balanced than in Melee, but we won't know for awhile.

RednaXale

Smash Apprentice
I agree with Brainiac man.
Some characters look like they have improved, others may look nerfed. Marth? He remains the same.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
God Tier:
Marth

Balence:
Everyone else

Thats it in a nutshell

Heroic

Smash Cadet
God Tier:
Marth

Balence:
Everyone else

Thats it in a nutshell
That's what I thought at first. I have had the game for quite some time now, and upon extensive playing, it seems he is not as unbalanced as he may look. He ***** a lot of characters, but some players like Ike can beat him without much trouble.

So, that's my feeling about the game balance:

top tier:
Olimar

balance:
everyone else

Seriously. You dont know how ridiculously STRONG he is. I haven't figured out yet with wich character it is even remotely possible to kill him. Don't be fooled by his innofensive recovery.

He just has too much priority, power and range, as well as having no lag after his insanely long grab. His second pikmin just runs to grab you before the first one has even returned to Olimar. I hope they will nerf it in the American version, like they seem to have done with Marth.

Greenpoe

Smash Ace
I think it'll be more balanced. It's interesting how some disadvantages turn into advantages thus balancing out...such as the tether recovery. It can be easily edgegaurded against, thus making that recovery completely useless if they do edgegaurd. However, the tether recovery makes a great edgegaurd against the enemy (Say, against Marth, or Fox who will up B and hit you, thus they get on the ledge and you fall), but if you're hanging down via tether, they can't do that, thus, it's better balanced than we originally thought.
[Credit goes to Green Link for coming up with the idea]

Chaosblade77

Smash Lord
More so than Melee, yes. But it won't be to the point it's tierless or anything. There will be better characters, the gaps just won't be as drastic unless a game breaking exploit is found.

_NeXuS_

Smash Cadet
personally i like that most any character can do well this time around. it makes for a much more fun experience wen everyone and there brother plays marth, fox, falco ad-nauseum.

Coselm

Smash Ace
This far into the game it seems more balanced to me. I have probably like 50 matches under my belts and every character seems able to win a round. But I doubt that there will be no tiers and everyone will be on the same level. Some characters are way easier to pick up than others though, I'll admit that. DDD took me a while to get the hang of but now I'm pretty good with him.

Wyze

Smash Cadet
The game looks a HELL of a lot more balanced than Melee, but that doesn't mean its perfect, but its pretty **** close. Only a few OP characteristics for some characters, but thats about it...

AquaTech

We hit the potjack
I think this game will be just as tier based as Melee. Remember, the game has only been out for a few weeks... in JAPAN! Most of the people here claiming how good Marth is have probably never played it yet. I'm guessing that after 1 year, we will see the same 6 characters winning tournaments.

sliceblader

Smash Cadet
I do not think they will be "equal" but the difference of top tier and low tier wont be as great so i wont be "impossible" to win with the lowest tier

OrlanduEX

Smash Lord
There is no perfectly balanced fighting game. It cannot exist. Even the most respected games like Guilty Gear and Virtua Fighter have tiers. As long as there is variation between characters, there is bound to be some that are superior to others. Also, the more characters there are, the harder it is to balance the game.

Brawl has 39 characters (if you consider Zelda/Sheik, Samus/Zamus and Pokemon Trainer's Pokemon to be different characters) and all have very unique playing styles for the most part. It would be terribly difficult for anyone to balance out this roster, and I think there is plenty of evidence to suggest that Brawl is NOT balanced. I don't know if it will prove as unbalanced as Melee, but it is apparent that an elite few like Marth and Olimar will dominate the competitive scene.

Though all characters may be more capable of competing with each other, competitive Smash players generally don't pick characters based on favoritism. They try to give themselves the best chance in tournaments by picking the very best characters. This is why Melee tournaments are dominated by Fox, Falco, Marth, Sheik, and Peach despite the fact that Jigglypuff, Ganondorf, C.Falcon, Dr. Mario are also amazing characters.
I feel that this trend will hold true for Brawl.

WKx7x

Smash Cadet
I think it's gonna depend on what character you use. For instance, I plan on maining Pit. I think a match vs. metaknight will be fair, whereas a match vs. marth is borderline suicide. That's what I like about Brawl; you're going to NEED to know how to adequately use at least 2 separate characters if you want to have a shot at winning every time.

So to answer your question, no, i do not think the characters are balanced.

Metzger

Smash Apprentice
I guess it is in the sense that there are more "top tier" type characters to compete with each other than there was in Melee. Not really so much in the sense that all the characters across the board are more in line with each other, though. You'll sleep better at night if you just admit to yourself that the folks that create these games don't really care that much about character balance on the whole. When you see Marth practically walk straight from Melee to Brawl near untouched and Ganondorf get held up at customs for a stiff round of nerfs, it's pretty obvious the end result will not be all that balanced.

rove

Smash Apprentice
I think so.
Even though I haven't played the game yet(4 more days :chuckle:)
It seems since they've had alot more time to complete it( I say to much time since theyve delayed it about 3 times:mad:.
But anyway, the physics have changed.

Solid Samus

Smash Cadet
My opinion after playing it for a couple of weeks:

Olimar/Marth/Pikachu - "overpowered" (Olimar not so much cause his tether recovery screws him)

C. Falcon and to a lesser extent Samus - Nerf Bat

From the looks of it they balanced the space animals out, but I think Marth is only SLIGHTLY less capable than in melee...he seems similar enough to still dominate. Pikachu has Peach's dsmash now and overall his moves all seem stronger/gained a lot of priority.

TwilightSky

Smash Cadet
The 64 version is the most balanced, Melee was very unbalanced, Brawl is like in the middleish.

DRaGZ

Smash Champion
How was 64 balanced at all? Link was absolute trash, Mario/Luigi couldn't perform well in more advanced levels of play, Kirby, Ness, Fox, Falcon, and Pikachu ***** everything. I see no balance.

kutebabidear

Smash Rookie
Sydney Australia, fast internet. no items & s
i have played this game for over 80 hours already, and I must say the characters are much balanced than before.

I heard sakurai tried his best to keep things balanced as possible and it worked out :bee:

Every character has its strengths and weaknesses, and it seems you can most definately develop a metagame for every character, including Yoshi.

Even IGN's review mentions it. "Tight control, more balanced character move sets, new final smashes and more."

Rapid_Assassin

Smash Master
It should feel balanced now. The game has been out for a short amount of time, and no game dominating tactics have been discovered yet. I'd be more concerned if it didn't feel relatively balanced right now.

Doctor T

Smash Journeyman
Without the Wavedashing and L-Canceling glitches, it is very likely that Brawl will be much more balanced on a tournament level. But theres really no way to know until it has been out for quite a while, and people are actually good at the game.

Top Bottom