• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Competitive Impressions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kofu

Smash Master
NNID
Atoyont
3DS FC
1521-4492-7542
My only real gripe with @ Kofu Kofu 's list is how he explains
Samus's spot on the list, the only actual gameplay
aspect he mentions is how her game is based around Charge
Shot and then he just bemoans how Samus is not as
good as the developers made her out to be and
how they didn't give her a more fanservicey (not the sexual kind)
moveset.
Her moves come out quickly but have bad end lag that leaves them really punishable, her multi-hit moves still have people fall out of them half the time where most others are far more reliable. She's too tall and floaty to take advantage of her moveset. Her kill power is better than Brawl but still kind of ineffective outside of Charge Shot. There's also eclectic issues with her moves that are similar to other characters' moves, but theirs actually work well. To wit, her two-hit jab doesn't link but Bowser's does (there may be a balance point to this but it's still a bad design choice), her bombs don't explode on contact with foes but Mii Gunner's do, and Captain Falcon's UTilt has a meteor hitbox on part of the move for aerial opponents but Samus's only has the effect on grounded ones. The last two are especially egregious since Gunner is a new character and the meteor effect is new to Falcon's UTilt, meaning that giving their moves those effects and not giving them to to Samus's is a deliberate design choice. The UTilt one is really a problem since grounded meteors can now be teched immediately, giving foes a chance to punish her.

Those are my gripes with Samus. As far as her customs go, though, Apex Screw Attack is really strong. Like, KOs-around-100% strong. That's pretty handy.

ZHMT

Smash Lord
NNID
zeeehmtee
You do realize that most of a match is fought outside the last stock right? Wanna see an example of what can happen to Jigglypuff if it kills someone with Rest anywhere but the final stock?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sdJAjufBQNQ#t=2261

Downplay this if you want, but that's kind of a huge deal if a move can be an enormous detriminent to you for most of the match.

The Waft is a much more versatile and well rounded attack. Only takes 55 seconds of charge to get it to kill, you can combo into the Waft too (late nair and dair set ups) and far more consistently because it has more range than the Rest attack (which is sad because the Waft has pretty bad range in general). Sure, Rest has some guaranteed set ups, but even then Jigglypuff can miss a lot do to tricks in DI and variable character weights. If Jiggs misses Rest, that's pretty much good game for the Jigglypuff player, if Wario misses a Waft he just gained some elevation.

No matter how you look at it, the most punishable attack in the game that isn't a reliable move to use unless you're on the final stock is never going to be as good as a move as the Waft. It's just way more consistent.
I agree that Waft is more of a well rounded move and a great one at that. I'm not saying the move is bad. I don't even mean to compare the moves too much, they are far different in nature. What I was saying is that Rest is a great move and overall it is in the same league in terms of power.

Also that video you linked was an extremely good example of when not to use Rest. Wario was at kill percent for so many other moves and didn't have to Rest in that situation at all. Puffs Nair could have KOd Wario there if it was fresh.

Also we don't know if we are doing 3 or 2 stocks. With 2 stocks the last stock is a lot larger of a portion of the match. Even then, she's not going to be KOd from most moves under 50% or so. Its not like she can only use it last stock for it to be effective. The game isn't over for Puff if you whiff, and even then our discussions should be based on high level play imo and Rests should rarely be missed if used properly.

Waft is easier to use properly than rest, I can understand and respect your opinions because of that.

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
Swordfighter is k, he has decent mobility, disjoints, and a better zoning game than Samus funny enough. Also has a cape, and capes are awesome. Like, Swordfighter is bad, but he has SOME things going for him, even if they arent much.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
For what it's worth, Samus's moves are surprisingly quick
on the draw which can make her a mean punisher.

I don't get why people make such a big deal about
Samus's ground-only meteor Utilt. Yes, it can be
teched, but so can air meteors. How many times
have you actually seen a Utilt spike kill from Falcon, like
really? Use the move as frontal anti-air like it's supposed
to be used and Samus's kills better onstage due to no
surprise meteors onstage on air opponents. Not that
either move is easy to hit, but...

Samus does need to work hard at getting the opponent
to make mistakes she can capitalize on with her quick-
starting moves, and a good part of getting those mistakes
to happen come from down-b momentum screwing.
Stop lamenting about the bomb not going off on contact
(Metroid authenticity doesn't seem so cool now, doesn't it?),
and just treat it as icing on the cake as you subvert
the enemies expectations of Samus's movement.

(Can Mii Gunner do the same with her grenades?
I know Fair can).

san.

1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
Mii Gunner has full aerial control when using grenades and bomb drop, and bomb drop triggers much earlier than Samus' bombs. Gunner can't drift away immediately without a B-reverse. Honestly, Samus' bombs triggering earlier (around the same time as Mii Gunner's bomb drop) and not putting her in stun when she's not using an attack will easily fix her, along with the multi-hit attacks linking properly.

Last edited:

Kofu

Smash Master
NNID
Atoyont
3DS FC
1521-4492-7542
For what it's worth, Samus's moves are surprisingly quick
on the draw which can make her a mean punisher.

I don't get why people make such a big deal about
Samus's ground-only meteor Utilt. Yes, it can be
teched, but so can air meteors. How many times
have you actually seen a Utilt spike kill from Falcon, like
really? Use the move as frontal anti-air like it's supposed
to be used and Samus's kills better onstage due to no
surprise meteors onstage on air opponents. Not that
either move is easy to hit, but...

Samus does need to work hard at getting the opponent
to make mistakes she can capitalize on with her quick-
starting moves, and a good part of getting those mistakes
to happen come from down-b momentum screwing.
Stop lamenting about the bomb not going off on contact
(Metroid authenticity doesn't seem so cool now, doesn't it?),
and just treat it as icing on the cake as you subvert
the enemies expectations of Samus's movement.

(Can Mii Gunner do the same with her grenades?
I know Fair can).
It's not that it doesn't spike aerial opponents, per se, and it IS a fantastic anti-aerial move (such a good move for trapping opponents at the ledge <3) but the fact that it meteors grounded opponents- and ONLY grounded opponents- seems like a somewhat blatant oversight. The move is good in general, I didin't mean to say thst I didn't like it overall.

If I had to sum up my issues with Samus's moveset, it's that she has a lot of moves that function at suboptimal levels while other characters have similar moves that work just fine.

Also, touché about bombs being true to the games. My complaint there is that they didn't even try to approximate any of her moves. I'm not asking for a Wave Beam that literally goes through stages or a Screw Attack that allows her to jump infinitely while killing everything (although the item kind of replicates that) but at least SOME recognition that she has a vast arsenal at her disposal from her own games. The closest they came was with the Mega Bomb custom to Power Bombs, but the latter would be a bit too strong while the actual implementation is a little overly weak.

Last edited:

YAYCONFORMITY

Smash Apprentice
It seems that pretty much every character has their proponents, but I haven't yet seen someone defend poor Wii Fit Trainer. Anyone think they're anywhere above bottom tier?

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
It seems that pretty much every character has their proponents, but I haven't yet seen someone defend poor Wii Fit Trainer. Anyone think they're anywhere above bottom tier?
Wii Fit Trainer has AMAZING specials. She even has really good combos, edgeguarding, and a zoning game.

But her pokes are laughable except B-air and Sun Salutation, and she's food for juggles even factoring stalling properties of SideB. Oh and her Smashes are generally bad, even though they're all pretty strong.

I feel like the character was basically designed around her special moves...in a sense. Her design is one where she has some of the best special moves in the game (including customs too), and has terrible normals to compensate.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Safety IS static. I'm talking about a move when spaced well on block CANNOT be punished due to either shield pushback, really good frame data or a combination of both. This is not very hard criteria to test moves against. Not talking about power shielding because that is essentially a parry.

So knowing, that if I say Sheik has alot of safe buttons and then you look at f-tilt, d-tilt, sh fair, sh, bair....OH ****!!!!!

Safe ninja ***** is safe.

Anything around 12 frames of landing recovery is fairly safe, but that depends how much range it has.

There is a reason why the top ten get away with alot of bull**** compared to the rest of the cast. It's because they don't commit as much in their offense and get alot of reward.

They are safe or at least "safer" then everyone else.

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
Check out TKbreezy who's been playing her a lot. He's probably still figuring out a lot of stuff about WFT, but he does her Deep Breathing as a bait move since you can cancel it.

YAYCONFORMITY

Smash Apprentice
Wii Fit Trainer has AMAZING specials. She even has really good combos, edgeguarding, and a zoning game.

But her pokes are laughable except B-air and Sun Salutation, and she's food for juggles even factoring stalling properties of SideB. Oh and her Smashes are generally bad, even though they're all pretty strong.

I feel like the character was basically designed around her special moves...in a sense. Her design is one where she has some of the best special moves in the game (including customs too), and has terrible normals to compensate.
Unfortunately, none of those specials have KO potential, aside from Sun Salutation charged by deep breathing. If she had a couple of reliable KO moves, she'd be decent I think. Only reliable ones I've been able to use are B/Uair, and Salutation, but those need deep breathing to get to average power.

Edit: I'll check out Breezy's stuff. Thanks for the tip.

Last edited:

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
WFT's Nair is a good combo move and it can kill, but I don't know when.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Unfortunately, none of those specials have KO potential, aside from Sun Salutation charged by deep breathing. If she had a couple of reliable KO moves, she'd be decent I think. Only reliable ones I've been able to use are B/Uair, and Salutation, but those need deep breathing to get to average power.

Edit: I'll check out Breezy's stuff. Thanks for the tip.
Honestly I sometimes feel her real problem is her Smashes are just so incomprehensibly awful. F-smash has basically no range but has a ton of ending lag. U-smash is cool except the sheer lack of horizontal range is actually just pretty painful. D-smash is almost good, but just slightly too slow to punish most things that aren't spotdodge for the most part.

Deep Breathing aerials are great KO moves, but of course your opponent will likely try to turtle there unless you're in a position to juggle or edgeguard. She can get KOs with some reliability by edgeguarding with her decent aerials (she can go pretty deep with default Up-B) not to mention Sun Salutation.

I think the most underrated part of WFT is like Lucario, she's able to charge her Neutral B while in the air, which lets you get away with stalling shenanigans as you try to set up your stuff.

Imo the best way to make this character more competitive is to slightly buff the healing properties of both Sun Salutation and Deep Breathing. And then make her grab less awful against small characters.

Last edited:

Kofu

Smash Master
NNID
Atoyont
3DS FC
1521-4492-7542
Wii Fit Trainer's aerials have low landing lag but it's not enough to make them safe on shield to approach.

From my experience her only strong moves (relative to other characters) are USmash and FSmash. DSmash is actually pretty weak but it sends foes at a low angle which is nice for gimping. I've also killed with BAir (which would probably be her most reliable kill move if it wasn't going to be stale by the time you want to kill), UAir, DAir, FAir (meteor hit), Sun Salutation, and FTilt. She does have Deep Breathing to augment her power but it lasts a little too short to really take advantage of it IMO.

madworlder

Smash Apprentice
WFT is the most underrated character. Her specials are kill moves, with fully charged Sun Salutation posing a huge threat, Header being a meteor smash, and Deep Breathing buffing all her normals to kill around 100%. D-smash goes under many attacks and has a great angle. Both sides of f-tilt have kill potential, especially in Deep Breathing. B-air is also very powerful with good reach. Sun Salutation is an incredibly strong projectile for space control, charged or uncharged. She can crouch under many important attacks and whiff punish. Deep Breathing cancels all momentum in the air, which is a big deal. Her big weaknesses are the short range of n-air and having to jump with her back facing the opponent to hit the space in front of her, in addition to her low grab range (although this is mitigated by jumping backwards as to be able to pivot grab).

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
Yeah, but at least someone in VGBootCamp is repping her, TKBreezy. Meanwhile, Peach isn't seeing much and she's a fantastic character. Strong aerials, good aerial mobility, good zoning tools through Vegetable, good spacing with both ground and aerials, and she's fairly fast on the draw with her attacks. The thing is that she and WFT are technical characters like Marth and I want to say, Jigglypuff. You can't rush in and hope to win. Peach requires a mastery of her float like how Marth requires a mastery of spacing. WFT seems to be a mastery of direction since her attacks have different properties depending on where what's hitting.

Oh, and Vegetable can destroy a tether recoverer if they don't get up fast enough. Throw one down and if they don't have a good Up Special recovery, wall jump, and/or second jump, they're screwed. It's probably the same with using Link's Bombs, Mega Man's Metal Saw, etc.

I just noticed that (Dark) Pit introduces players to a lot of gameplay mechanics: super armor through their Side Special, ranged through their Neutral Special, meteoring through their Dair, infinite jab and Gentleman jab combos; reflecting through their Down Special, tippers, sweet-spots, and sour-spots; and multiple jumps rather than the typical double jump.

Last edited:

David Viran

Smash Lord
Oh, and Vegetable can destroy a tether recoverer if they don't get up fast enough. Throw one down and if they don't have a good Up Special recovery, wall jump, and/or second jump, they're screwed.
Not all tethers cough zss and her tether cancel shenanigans.

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
Not all tethers cough zss and her tether cancel shenanigans.
Well, I did mention- Wait, what?

Link would probably not survive if that happened, especially without customs, but Toon Link, Samus, and ZSS - am I missing someone else?- would probably survive.

Morbi

Scavenger
Yeah, but at least someone in VGBootCamp is repping her, TKBreezy. Meanwhile, Peach isn't seeing much and she's a fantastic character. Strong aerials, good aerial mobility, good zoning tools through Vegetable, good spacing with both ground and aerials, and she's fairly fast on the draw with her attacks. The thing is that she and WFT are technical characters like Marth and I want to say, Jigglypuff. You can't rush in and hope to win. Peach requires a mastery of her float like how Marth requires a mastery of spacing. WFT seems to be a mastery of direction since her attacks have different properties depending on where what's hitting.

Oh, and Vegetable can destroy a tether recoverer if they don't get up fast enough. Throw one down and if they don't have a good Up Special recovery, wall jump, and/or second jump, they're screwed. It's probably the same with using Link's Bombs, Mega Man's Metal Saw, etc.

I just noticed that (Dark) Pit introduces players to a lot of gameplay mechanics: super armor through their Side Special, ranged through their Neutral Special, meteoring through their Dair, infinite jab and Gentleman jab combos; reflecting through their Down Special, tippers, sweet-spots, and sour-spots; and multiple jumps rather than the typical double jump.
Is Pink Fresh not still maining Peach? I thought that he was her champion on the VGBootCamp end of things. As you state, she has the tools necessary to compete at higher levels, I am surprised that more people are not giving her the benefit of the doubt.

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
Is Pink Fresh not still maining Peach? I thought that he was her champion on the VGBootCamp end of things. As you state, she has the tools necessary to compete at higher levels, I am surprised that more people are not giving her the benefit of the doubt.
Whoops, forgot about Pink Fresh, but still, I don't see a lot of Peach despite her being a good character. Also, sometimes VGBootCamp has messed up thumbnails like sometimes there's Diddy Kong, but it's someone else or Falco, but it's Diddy Kong which happened with one of Keitaro's uploaded matches. Thing is that I haven't seen what @ Antonykun Antonykun once linked for Peach gameplay. It's usually, I guess, normal - I haven't seen enough of Pink Fresh, though. The one Antonykun linked had insane float usage.

Especially on For Glory, but, well, it's For Glory where like half the cast is MIA, especially Olimar/Alph for some people. It's usually populated by Ness PKT2 spammers, (Toon) Link spammers, Samus spammers, Little Mac spammers, and oh, a trend, let's break it with Bowser's like in Brawl's early days, charged stuff and waited to hit you.

Peach, Wii Fit Trainer, Wario, Pikachu, ROB, and Falco - sorry, bias :p - just don't see a lot of action. Hell, I would like to add ROB, Meta Knight, Pac-Man, Mega Man - I'm aware of like one dude on VGBootCamp who plays Mega Man -, Olimar, Ness, and Shulk - I've seen like one dude play as Shulk. Oh, and Ike, despite Ryuga showing the world what Ike can do.

It's probably that hype or whatever way early on that lead to this influx of ZSS's, Rosalina & Luma, Luigis, and Diddy Kongs. Add tried and true characters and you get Foxes, Captain Falcons, and Sheiks. Unfortunately, that's like only 14% of the cast.

Well, this was uploaded on VGBootCamp and IloD's Meta Knight and Peach are shown against Shofu's Fox: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFPoO6MpFLg.

I'll see about editing that video Antonykun linked a while back.

Edit: Found it! It's Slayerz's Peach against Salem's ZSS: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BLHOu9mynuA.

Last edited:

Makorel

Smash Apprentice
@ Ffamran Ffamran I would argue that Pit's infinte jab isn't a good introduction to that kind of move. It's a lot easier to get out of compared to other infinite jabs so it's not really typical of infinite jab moves. Although I suppose it could be considered a good introduction to getting out of jab moves.

Zelder

Smash Journeyman
You know, I bet Little Mac is better in the Japanese meta, because they only play on For Glory stages.

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
You dont see many Pecah players because she's a VERY technically demanding character and the game is still pretty new. Top players want results, and with a game this young, none of the top level players have had time to invest in harder to play characters, theyd rather play easy but strong ones and win money.

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
@ Makorel Makorel , it's more like an introduction that these sort of Jabs exist and that there are characters who can Gentleman them. Like, Upperdash/Electroshock Arm aren't that great of a super armor move, but Little Mac's super armor on his Smashes tremendously help at times.

You dont see many Pecah players because she's a VERY technically demanding character and the game is still pretty new. Top players want results, and with a game this young, none of the top level players have had time to invest in harder to play characters, theyd rather play easy but strong ones and win money.
Even at a slightly basic level, she's fine to use, plus at least have Peach mains use her.

Last edited:

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
Literally every option you listed is incredibly unsafe or relies on Samus to be in the air where she's slow and has no fall speed, meaning she either does a rising aerial and gets punished hard if it doesnt work, or she has to prepare for the aerial WAY before she gets to use it to make it safe. Theyre not BAD options so much as theyre situational, and when EVERY option requires either specific use, set ups, reads, etc, then your options generally arent reliable enough to regularly help you in tight situations.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
You know... We always talk about who's worst in the game, but let's spice it up.

Which characters do the character you think are the worst win against?

CaliburChamp

Smash Master
3DS FC
1392-6575-2504
So I've been looking for competitive Greninja tournament videos. The ones I've seen is mostly with Greninja losing even though the Greninja player was very skilled. I've been trying to get good with Greninja myself, but he seems to be lacking the most out of all the other characters I play as. He's fast but he seems to lack the offensive pressure that other fast characters have in their moveset. When I'm fighting a good Greninja player, I find them to be very predictable, they just use jabs, RAR b-air, n-airs and upsmash. I never had a problem with Greninja after the nerf. So why are people listing Greninja as high tier still? If anything he feels like Middle tier at top potential. The loss of his AT's seem to really hurt him the most in the patch more than any other character. Any one else agree?

Last edited:

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
Ive been putting Greninja in mid tier towards the top of it. Not THE top of mid tier, but in High Mid.

Karaoke Man

Smash Apprentice
It's based on watching how Ally wins his games. And what happens when he loses. And just me generally knowing a lot about the character.

Obviously, you don't seem to want to defend your position if that's your response. However my reasons for citing Mario being worse are simple. People claim Mario is good, and cite results. I research the matches, and find their claims faulty for several reasons, one being Ally is literally just way better than everyone. Two being a lot of the games he plays, he often makes ridiculous comebacks that shouldn't have happened, but do because he is actually better than everyone.

And three, a simple analysis of Mario compared to other characters is that his only real advantage over most is above average startup, and most of his "combos" which are cited to make him "good" are not actually combos, but require reads to work, reads which could have netted much more damage on different characters.
Honestly, I don't doubt that you know a lot about the character, but I want you to realize the very thing that's holding metagames back. It's not something that can clearly be seen in the quoted post.

It's because you keep dwelling on how "terrible" your character is percieved as.

You can have all the knowledge and data in the world about the character, but if you don't have appropriate application or different ways of putting it to use, then relying sorely on data means absolutely NOTHING. This is not to say that you haven't ever done it, but that must be more of your mode of focus.

It doesn't matter how "bad" you think Mario is, but it also doesn't matter how "good" anyone else's character is either, your character (much like all the others) is a unique design and is built the way he is for a reason. That is why you never base an opinion of a character only on frame data alone because the comparison of that data builds a perception. Mario has doesn't have a huge slew of strengths; No, he doesn't have range the size of a football field. No, his attacks don't grow into a Spirit Bomb that KO's anyone at 13%. No, his attacks aren't quick enough to cut lighting bolts before they even touch the ground. He does however, have a strength. It's his strength of Versatility. All of his stats are relatively average, but this does not make him a "weaker" character (In fact, that is only the case when you compare it to another character in a negative connotation), this just means that all of Mario's stats, attributes and capabilities just follow the same margin of success. I will stress again however, that it's how you apply that data. You have to take Mario for how he is, and not how you'd like him to be. That goes for any other character as well.

Ally is a great player, but also doesn't know everything about the character or how to go about utilizing it. You can push the boundaries of Mario by believing in the design of your character instead of doubting it. But more importantly; Believing in yourself as a player. Yes, that's right. Saying your character is buttcheeks is in fact, the same as "johning" for the reason that you lose being because of your character. No matter how you put it, it's always going to come down to player skill regardless of character.

If you can focus more on your character's strengths (and learn more of what they are), you give your metagame freedom to grow. Mario is technically, the most balanced character in the game after all.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I'm also not following that. U-Tilt and U-Smash aside, which you'd only use as anti-air/punishing reads, she's far from lacking melee options.
Also don't forget short-hopped Uairs, which can
get you neat followups like Usmash (especially
on biggies. Samus loves big characters), Screw Attack
if you're feeling gutsy, shield grab if you foresee
a sex kick, or a Dtilt on a bad dodge.

The best Samuses will probably do their best
to keep the opponent guessing on where they'll
go or how or even when they'll attack next.
That's how she gets her "jack of all trades" moveset
to work. Of course, characters who don't commit much
to their attacks make this harder to do (Sheik comes to mind).

CaliburChamp

Smash Master
3DS FC
1392-6575-2504
Ive been putting Greninja in mid tier towards the top of it. Not THE top of mid tier, but in High Mid.
I have to see if I can try to think of new things with Greninja, cause currently I can't get the hang of him. He just has to commit to his attacks so hard, which often hurts him in the end. Having a bunch of laggy moves hurt his viability I think.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Mii Gunner has full aerial control when using grenades and bomb drop, and bomb drop triggers much earlier than Samus' bombs. Gunner can't drift away immediately without a B-reverse. Honestly, Samus' bombs triggering earlier (around the same time as Mii Gunner's bomb drop) and not putting her in stun when she's not using an attack will easily fix her, along with the multi-hit attacks linking properly.
But then Samus wouldn't be able to Bomb Jump
and stall in the air.

Edit: It's an awkward situation when you request
a buff to a move and there's a custom move that has
what you're looking for. Namely in this case, Slip Bomb.

Last edited:

Gunla

It's my bit, you see.
Administrator
BRoomer
Writing Team
Greninja is a very strange character; he's got lots of tools to mix up the opponent, but he has trouble KOing early, requires a lot of timing and precision, and simply must commit more than others.

After seeing his nerfs in 1.0.4, lots of people fled and called him trash. I'd say he's Top 20 now, as despite the nerfs, the buffs he got were really good as well and he still has many viable options.

As for tourney level play that gets streamed in his absence, I'd argue it's due to Greninja's higher skill ceiling; he's less "pick up and play" than others, and takes time to get the hang of him. There's characters who are much easier to learn, hence his absence mostly.

Last edited:

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
If you can focus more on your character's strengths (and learn more of what they are), you give your metagame freedom to grow. Mario is technically, the most balanced character in the game after all.
I largely agree with this. While I believe you overstate Mario's versatility, it is a big part of his character and a large reason why he can fight the entire cast and not suffer from heavy defeats. Every tournament I go to, every stream I watch, and every time I practice I learn more and more on what I can do with Mario and how to win each match. Having knowledge of a character doesn't really matter when it isn't put to the test.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom