• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Competitive Impressions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Road Death Wheel

Smash Champion
NNID
Kairos-Xman
3DS FC
2406-5636-9789
D3, Bowser, Zard, DK Probs do well with him kinda like how they did in brawl.

Do they win? Dunno but they do well at least.
im not sure if its a concreate win but im more than sure they give him problems.
but honestly i think ganon does the best out of the heavys.

Last edited:

HeavyLobster

Smash Champion
NNID
HeavyLobster43
Like half of what people are saying about Lucario and his downsides are pretty much true (he does have the worst neutral of potential tops), but it doesn't matter. So lets say Lucario is at high aura and his opponent is at zero. What does it take for Lucario to take the next stock? It's about three reads as long as the last one is Force Palm, and they don't really have to be in a row. That's insane; no other character can do anything even vaguely like that. Lucario just has to focus on not dying (pretty easy when you're heavy and have an infinite recovery) and hitting sometimes and he wins. Snaring Aura Sphere is significantly better than default Aura Sphere but default is honestly still a pretty good move especially at high aura; both are among the better projectiles in the game. I can put up with a lot of mediocre frame data in exchange for the damage differential I need to win being 2:1 which is pretty close to what Lucario can expect if played optimally. Right now people are hitting a lot of buttons; when the game slows down and Lucario players just stop losing stocks early (Lucario *has* to stretch stocks), I'm scared of this character especially if people keep playing characters who don't kill early which is what a lot of people are doing right now. IMO right now people are more enamored with consistent safe neutral than potential pay-offs (hence the consistently high ranks of Sheik and Pikachu), but I'm impressed with the raw rewards Lucario offers that are second to none and are pretty crazy favorable on the old risk-reward scale.
Part of me feels as though Lucario will mainly function as a pocket character for everyone who gets trashed by Pika/Sheik, though he can certainly work solo as well. He's a good enough character but I feel his popularity will be more meta-dependent than most.

ChronoPenguin

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4253-4494-4458
What character gets trashed by Sheik in the first place. I don't know, I don't play Sheik bait characters.

Actually nobody gets beat by Pika she's horrendous.

Just use DDD.

In seriousness why would you have a pocket Lucario for Sheik? If your playing a Sheik bait character then they're going to end up your pocket character.

Last edited:

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
I have never seen the Shulk vs Lucario match-up in particular, seems like a weird one since Lucario should be pretty good at capitalizing on the downsides of the Monado artes and Shulk is committed enough on a lot of stuff that Double Team might actually do some work. Shulk is really good at killing and his neutral is just kinda weird (like good overall but not very traditional) so I dunno how it hashes out. I wouldn't buy it as a hard counter without some solid evidence for that proposition, but otherwise I have no real position on which side wins it. I actually think Shulk is a decent character which is apparently not universal so this doesn't bother me. In general I dunno about match-ups to be honest; this game's design is pretty good and most of the time I can see one reason a match-up would be bad for a character I can see another reason it might be okay. I think Lucario has a flexible enough design to be able to adapt to a variety of opposing strengths, and that's not an uncommon situation which is why I can't imagine making a match-up chart anytime soon.

My custom tier list presumes you can see their character before you pick your moves. Obviously you don't take Snaring Aura Sphere against Ness/Mii Gunner/Fox, but against most characters, I'm pretty sure it's a fair bit better since it just makes the neutral a lot easier for him to have these orbs of doom hanging around.

As per Mac vs Lucario, I don't see why Lucario wouldn't be able to platform camp Mac like almost all of the other characters. Just ban FD with your stage ban against a Mac and you can kinda force the issue. It's not even really about Lucario at that point; I just fight Little Mac like Ice Climbers with a worse uair, lame him out the whole way, and it seems very hard for Mac to win, and I think every character can do it. Honestly it makes Mac hard to tier since I think he cares more about the stage than the enemy character unlike everyone else; I just kinda look at it as "really bad" and move on...

---

To talk about Doc, all of his attacks other than dair have the same start-up as Mario's, he can still do some combos, his recovery isn't really much worse when you factor in the tornado recoveries (honestly probably better with down-2), his projectile is a bit better (though it's a wash if you go with the fast variations), and he does at least kill earlier than Mario which is nice. The blows to his combo game and the honestly just worse dair make him distinctly worse overall, but the degree to which he's worse just seems exaggerated by most people to me given his list of positives and how much of Mario's strengths he keeps in-tact. It's hard because I would never, ever recommend picking him in a game in which Mario exists and he's worse in ways that matter more than the ways Dark Pit and Lucina are worse, but there is a limit to how much worse he is.

Road Death Wheel

Smash Champion
NNID
Kairos-Xman
3DS FC
2406-5636-9789
What character gets trashed by Sheik in the first place. I don't know, I don't play Sheik bait characters.

Just use DDD.
good question. im curiousl as well.
like i know ahe apparently has no bad mu's but does she absolutly abolish some character? iv never really felt that was the case.

M15t3R E

Smash Master

Just use DDD.
EXCUSE ME? Pikachu is arguably even better in this game than in Brawl, and in Brawl Pikachu was high tier. I (and ESAM if you were to watch his tournament videos) can attest to the fact that Pikachu can easily keep up with Sheik and indeed all of the cast.

ChronoPenguin

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4253-4494-4458
EXCUSE ME? Pikachu is arguably even better in this game than in Brawl, and in Brawl Pikachu was high tier. I (and ESAM if you were to watch his tournament videos) can attest to the fact that Pikachu can easily keep up with Sheik and indeed all of the cast.
Pikachu is HyLowrule tier. Hyrule tier was too high to put her in.

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Lucario would definitely want to watch out for Shulk in a customs environment.
Hyper Monado Smash and Power Vision say hello.

ChronoPenguin

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4253-4494-4458
You know it's a bad habit to make such bold yet ignorant statements. Have you watched ESAM videos? Pikachu is not bad just because you suck with him. Pikachu is not a pick-up-and-play character.
You're too easily baited.
I wonder if the same devices were used for ZSS if all the "she's nerfed from Brawl" would suddenly come out in uproar.

Last edited:

Nobie

Smash Champion
NNID
SDShamshel
3DS FC
2809-8958-8223

Of all the heavies, I feel like Ganondorf is the biggest threat to Lucario, at least in terms of theory. Practice might play out differently.

The big thing is that while the other heavies and even a few other characters have early killing moves, if they want to end Lucario's stock early they have to aim for using those specific moves. Ganondorf's moveset in contrast is packed with kill moves, including his forward tilt, down tilt, dash attack, every aerial, aerial Wizard's foot, and all of the smashes (not to mention the hilarious but mostly impractical up tilt and Warlock Fist). A lot of what gives Lucario his boost in power seems to be that aiming for a reliable hit can often only make him stronger. Although Ganondorf has more potential to end stocks early, even if he ends up pushing Lucario past 100%, almost anything Ganondorf lands can very well be "the" hit that takes the stock.

Smog Frog

Smash Lord
Of all the heavies, I feel like Ganondorf is the biggest threat to Lucario, at least in terms of theory. Practice might play out differently.

The big thing is that while the other heavies and even a few other characters have early killing moves, if they want to end Lucario's stock early they have to aim for using those specific moves. Ganondorf's moveset in contrast is packed with kill moves, including his forward tilt, down tilt, dash attack, every aerial, aerial Wizard's foot, and all of the smashes (not to mention the hilarious but mostly impractical up tilt and Warlock Fist). A lot of what gives Lucario his boost in power seems to be that aiming for a reliable hit can often only make him stronger. Although Ganondorf has more potential to end stocks early, even if he ends up pushing Lucario past 100%, almost anything Ganondorf lands can very well be "the" hit that takes the stock.
lucario has a projectile, so he wins the ganon matchup

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
ESAM has dropped the ball twice in two weekends but that doesn't really retract from his dominance over Florida (a region unfortunately plagued with no tournament streams or matches being recorded to give people things to refer to) since the game's release. Pikachu has nothing easy on Sheik to say the least and this can be a big part to what's keeping Pika from top 3, but this is the 'curse' of anyone who isn't Sheik or Diddy right now. You could understand why people think ZSS is top 5 (or anyone else) just by looking at how they're playing in those two match ups. Probably loses to Diddy but doesn't seem bad against Sheik. That's pretty big, who doesn't seem to do poorly against Sheik?

Pika actually doesn't look to be deficient in either Diddy or Sheik match ups, but Pika's top tier cheese of hurtboxes don't really apply to either character as much as it applies to others (funnily enough, practically everyone else). In short~, Pika doesn't have a better off stage game than Sheik, nor does Pika have better on-stage tools/rewards than Diddy.

Last edited:

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
U.S., Maryland (Eastern Time, UTC - 5hrs)
NNID
EquinoXYZ
Some Megaman talk that I'd like to address.

:4megaman: holds his own with a good deal of the cast and invalidates some characters with his camp game. Nobody is playing him perfectly/optimally and there's a lot to be explored. Zucco, SSGuy, and NinjaLink are great players and have been great for the character in terms of representing and getting exposure, but they're all working on parts of their game that are lacking. He is a hard character to master mostly because he is unconventional with some AT-like things that are very important to his gameplay and his non-safe moves are so punishable. Things like item-tilting, z-drop aerials, and SH lemons need to become second nature if you want to push the character to his potential.

And then his punish game requires you to be precise and confident. His grab game is so good, but I'm starting to think of it almost as a crutch for how punishing the character can actually be. It's the safe option that yields good reward, but he has better punishes. How many perfect shield utilt punishes have you seen? Furthermore, anything that has a 13 frame window of vulnerability in front of Mega Man's shield should be shield-drop utilted for a kill around 80%. However, shield grabbing is so much safer.

Since the game is so young and he's a new character, his potential is far and away above the level where he's being played at now. This is true for a lot of characters, but the more conventional ones have a foundation to be built off of (Sheik and Diddy thrive off of fundamentals built from previous Smash games) while there hasn't been a mid-range zoner like Mega Man in Smash before.
Very much agreed. Mega Man is definitely one of the more unique characters in this game (up there with duck hunt, pac-man, and bowser jr. imo) so it's natural that people would underestimate him. I remember back when the demo first came out and I picked him up. He felt so...abnormal in a very good way. However, everyone else in my circle of smash friends would say how terrible he is because of his unique playstyle. I've heard, "megaman sucks", "he feels disgusting" and even the rediculous notion of, "he's doesn't belong in a smash game".
But boy were they wrong. His pellet game lets him play a zoning game not yet seen in smash bros.
He brings the game down to his pace, and forces the opponent to play safe...which is just what mega man wants. He doesn't even have any severe weaknesses (like pac man's grab) , but rather smaller ones like large end lag and startup on his smashes (outside of the 6 frame startup usmash).
The only thing really holding him back is how much harder you have to work than your opponent, and the arguably low versatility in his moveset. You must have precision in everything you do, or get ready to be punished, and you have to think a few steps ahead of your opponent, or they will catch on to your shenanigans.
He also HAS to keep the opponent in the mid range, or he starts to falter (which is why people like samus and gunner can invalidate him with their long range playstyle, and why he struggles a bit against characters like captain falcon if they get too close)
I can definitely see him going places though. An optimal mega man sounds very scary, and I can definitely see him as a future high tier.

But on that note...

Onto Pac-Man:4pacman::4pacman::4pacman:
Now I know most of you are tired of me and my pac-man fever talk. And I will admit that I may have been irrational in the past few pages while discussing pac-man's flaws. But I understand now.

His grab really hurts his nuetral game, his hydrant can be used against him in nuetral, his camping game can be worked around, and he struggles to kill right now...but each and every one of his weaknesses has a remedy.
Let me give you all some input from over at the pac-man thread:

I'm not going to lie, I am dying a little on the inside from both reading some of the messages and watching the Abadango videos in this thread.

I'm going to dump a huge wall of text here with a mixture of tech, general theory, strategies, matchup knowledge and stuff to avoid based on what I've experienced. I won't claim to be the best, but then again if Abadango is the best then wow we are coasting on opponents not knowing the matchup and need to step up our game (He gave away all 3 matches at least once but the opponents couldn't recognize it).

______

First off, let's talk about SH Fair.

You can, in one SH, do a Fair and any aerial or special before you land. If you did the Fair while rising and DON'T fast fall, you will also have no landing lag.
I need to test when my training partner comes over next against characters with really good OoS options, but most characters cannot punish a well spaced Fair if you retreat with it and don't Fast Fall. This makes it a relatively safe poke option (Still punishable on read obviously) and opens a lot of mixups.

Say they try to roll, even if you whiffed your Fair, if you were retreating back then you can punish the roll with Nair before you land (For far rolls, you can use fruit, but depends on which one you have). Spotdodge gets punished on reaction with Fair/Nair/fruit/etc.

This means that at spaced Fair range, they have to respect a SH and either shield or pre-emptively throw out a move to beat Fair. This is where the mindgames start. If your opponent tends to opt for shield, you can just empty hop into a grab (This is probably one of the most reliable ways to get grabs for me). You can also FF into a trampoline to make them feel like shield is not a safe option. If you're feeling ballsy you can even Fair then go behind them and throw a Bair to catch an OoS option.

If they decide to throw out a move to punish a Fair and you didn't throw out a move, then you can easily punish.

One option at this range to mix them up and make them feel like they can't just wait it out in shield is to empty jump at this range and not move forward at all (AKA stay out of most character's range) then just fast fall a fruit charge. At that point you can just release whatever fruit you have as soon as you see the shield drop (Or if you can't react to that then either shield cancel or guess and throw it; you're safe regardless, but make sure to stay close to stop them from grabbing the fruit).

______

Also one thing I'm seeing a lot in this thread is talk about how Pac rushes down, or how he deals with shields, or how he camps. I am getting flashbacks to the Injustice Joker forums where they assumed neutral game and traps were separate and 90% of them ended up playing the character completely wrong.

Pacman is not a zoner nor a rushdown; he is a setup/traps character. This character archetype is new to the series and Pacman actually differs from typical trap characters in fighting games in two important ways:

1) His traps can be used against him.

2) Unlike typical trap characters, Pacman is actually a well rounded character outside of his setups.

I do like the idea Dragontamer just presented about getting people off of the edge; this is the sort of thing we should be looking at. We need to limit our opponent's options whenever possible.

Take the ledge for example. At the ledge an opponent has 6 options:

-Ledge Jump
-Ledge Roll
-Ledge neutral getup
-Ledge getup attack
-Ledge drop
-Stay on the ledge

Worst case scenario, you want to be covering at least 3 of these options. With time to setup, you can and should cover all 6 at once (I already gave an example with hydrant, trampoline and bell a few weeks ago).

There are also actually a lot of ledge setups that look similar but cover different options based on how you do it. For example, in the bouncing hydrant setup Dragontamer just mentioned, there are a few ways out if you don't throw out an attack:

-Ledge roll
-A well timed Neutral Ledge wakeup
-An early ledge drop to avoid the hydrant

Now here's the thing: Based on what Pacman does, he can cover all of these options, just not all at the same time. Dsmash and Fsmash in either direction can cover the first two options, and a run off aerial or fruit can cover the 3rd. The opponent has to make a decision before he can check what you do otherwise his window to escape shrinks. This sets up a 33/33/33 guessing situation completely in our favor.

This was just an example, but these are the sort of things we need to mess with.
Here's another example that can be used in the neutral:

Grab your own apple. The best way I've found to do this is to throw it at a hydrant when the water is spraying. Once you have it in hand throwing it down makes it bounce in place, creating a wall.
If you can put this wall on one side of them and an active hydrant (I mean spraying water) on the other, their only options to avoid getting hit become to jump over the water, spotdodge the water, or shield the apple.
At this point throwing aerials at them is 100% safe (Unless they have an invul on startup move that makes them jump over the water like SL or Dolphin Slash) and punishes jumping and spotdodging.
A grab at this point beats spotdodging and shielding the fruit.
If you're riding the water charging a smash can beat the jump and the spotdodge, and is safe against shield.

If in this situation you somehow managed to set this up AND be behind the hydrant, then launching the hydrant behind the water is 100% safe, will punish anything except shield and will allow you to follow with anything against an opponent who did shield and probably shield poke if the hydrant didn't already do that.

These are just examples, and while I have landed both before in real matches, they are all situational.

That said, we are playing a trap character, so be creative and use whatever setup you can. Keep in mind that Apple and Melon when thrown up/down create a wall (In different ways, but still a wall) and that fruit gushing is a thing that can help a lot. In fact fruit gushing CAN be used to cover whiffed grabs. I've thrown bell upwards in front of an active hydrant, ran up and grabbed, then when they spotdodged and came to punish, they were hit by a gushed bell allowing me to punish.

I cannot stress this enough: Be creative and remember that we are playing a trap character. We should be trying to be tricky and set up stupidly broken traps. The goal should be to make the opponent feel like they have no options and that anyone who doesn't know the matchup should be completely free. Use slants. Use water. Use platforms. All of these things affect our ability to set up traps.

On a related note... Key is not the only fruit. In fact I would say it's not even the best fruit unless you are really, REALLY needing to kill an opponent. It is strong, sure, and it moves fast, but it has less utility than any other fruit and picking it up is nigh impossible unless the opponent grabs it first.

Speaking of grabbing fruits, having the fruits in your hand is much MUCH better than having it charged but not out. For one your fruits get a lot more versatility in that you can Z-drop them and jump cancel glide toss them (Very important!), but they also act differently when thrown up and down than they normally do. This makes them all much more useful for setting up traps, punishing OoS (More on this later), and edge guarding.
For example, throwing a melon downwards/upwards in front of the ledge will prevent an opponent from grabbing the ledge for the melon's duration.

Now picking up the fruits in the first place can be a challenge. Here's some ways I've found to pick these up easily:

-Cherry: Just follow it, water gush it back to yourself, or throw it at a slant.
-Strawberry: Same as the above.
-Orange: I honestly don't have a clue on how to grab this one easily. Maybe with a slant? I don't remember if that works for Orange.
-Apple: Water gush it. Slants don't work, although it does get interesting properties on slants.
-Melon: Following it works, but the opponent can easily grab it away from you. Slants are another way, or hitting your hydrant then catching it.
-Galaga Ship: Follow it or throw it at a platform.
-Bell: Follow it. It can be caught through Hydrant gushing, but the water gushed bell is so good it's sometimes worth leaving it out.
-Key: I don't know. Have the opponent catch it, throw it back, then catch it yourself?

_________

Speaking of fruits... DON'T LET THE OPPONENT GRAB YOUR FRUIT (ESPECIALLY BELL)! This is very, VERY important, especially if the character in question has projectiles of any kind.
Once an opponent has your fruit, if they know the matchup then they know they have literally nothing to fear from you at a range anymore. Hydrant launches are reactable, so they can just wait and shield, or even worse, if they have a decent projectile, shoot it right when you are about to use a move that launches.

This forces Pacman to approach, and against some characters that can be very bad, or in some cases borderline impossible.
If the other player has the life lead, then they can literally just run away from you for the rest of the match, especially if they are someone like Sonic.

I had my training partner, air camp me as Kirby with my bell on the Kongo Jungle 64 stage the other day. After 4 minutes I killed myself and ended the match so we could play a less stupid match.

______

Now as for the reason I said to ESPECIALLY not let the opponent grab bell is the same reason as why I said having a fruit in hand helps with OoS game.

I'm sure many of you know that the fastest ways to drop shield are through either grabbing, jumping or jump canceled actions like UpB (By the way, UpB OoS is godlike) or Usmash.

However, there is one more jump canceled action: The jump canceled item toss. This allows you to drop shield as fast as the jumping or grabbing and throw the item in your hand, and item tosses are already fast. When the item in question is bell, this allows the person holding the bell to punish nearly anything with a jump canceled glide tossed stun which can combo into the kill move of your choice.

____

Another piece of random tech one of the guys at my local scene who dabbled in Pacman gave me:

When the opponent dies, throw a trampoline right where they will respawn.
This will kill their invulnerability time and can even sometimes lead to a punish as they have no choice but to hit that as soon as they come back.

If they got star KO'd/screen splatted, make it either red or set it to the highest bounce, depending on the stage (Example, free fall is less useful on a stage like BF since they won't fall far, but on Skyworld it can eat the entire invulnerability time and give you a punish.).

_________

I feel like I'm forgetting some important things, but oh well. I just wrote out 5 full pages, so I'm done for tonight.

________

EDIT:

Wait, actually I forgot some anti-diddy tech:

If Diddy throws out a banana, walk over to it and lay a trampoline right on top of it. It prevents Diddy from grabbing it while simultaneously preventing him from pulling one out, essentially taking it out of the game.
On a side note, I am still labbing and found some interesting things. And by interesting things, I mean we can set up Fsmash>Bell>Fsmash combos, footstool>hydrant>Bell>Fsmash combos and Bthrow>Bell>Fsmash combos.

With the exception of the footstool one, the other two are done by grabbing bell in your hand. After that throw out a hydrant, immediately run off of it and throw the bell up in the air. For the grab combo, run forward and grab. For the Fsmashx2 combo, start charging a smash roughly a character length in front of where you threw the bell.

For the Fsmashx2 combo, the water will push you to them, then push the bell right behind you so that no matter the %, the two will combo. After that you can connect a second Fsmash. I sadly am doing training mode alone right now, so I don't know what this does to shields.

For the Bthrow, you need to run forward and grab ASAP and throw them back towards the bell. If you do it right, the bell will hit right as they leave your hands, allowing you to Fsmash.

For the footstool combo, well that one is pretty self-explanatory. At %s where hydrant won't knock them too far (30-50% range), you can do a grounded footstool (Probably works for aerial too) into a dropped fire hydrant, and since throwing an item is faster than neutral B's normal startup time, you can throw bell after this and have it combo. At the percents, the bell will hit right next to you and a buffered Forward Smash will combo.

I will get a recording of this done in the next few days to better explain what I mean.

I really want to end a tournament match with one of these now.

EDIT:
When I get a training partner over, I'll test if a Fair can combo into the water gushed bell used in the first 2 setups to cover their ability to jump. If it does then this goes from a flashy and gimmicky trap to a truly stupid setup.
I noticed this glaring issue more so today. I did take some liberties and started learning how to use SIdeB as an effective kill move. I have made some progress on that. I lost to a megaman that out spaced me, that I whiffed one too many a throw. I changed it up with falcon in friendlies and grabbed much much easier. We need to expand on Pac-man's traps. That has been my number one most effective killing method. Baiting with hydrant and striking with a key when they go to strike, or even just going straight at hydrant with Side B has got me very effective kills. I have great ideas that I could take Pac-man up with, and I've been making suggestions in the critque thread. However, my own fundamentals need work, I've lost many from being unable to close stocks.
Not just traps, though those are indeed very useful. Pac-Man can play AT LEAST:

Pure Aggressive: Self-explanatory.
Pure Defensive: Hide behind hydrant and trampoline, punish opponent for getting too close, maintaining the area on the stage that you have. Fruit is useful to knock opponents out so that you can set up.
Spacing: Keep opponent out of your range with fruit and hydrants, doing as much damage as possible from a distance. While an aggressive Pac-Man would go offstage to gimp an opponent with aerials, a spacing one would use fruit (and hydrants) to kill from the stage.

From there, there are combinations of playstyles that we don't really have fully defined yet, such as: Passively Aggressive (responsive aggressiveness to bad actions that just happen, not forcing the opponent to mess up), Defensively Aggressive (use your defenses to force opponents into punishable positions before going ham), Defensively Spacing (use hydrant and trampoline to control stage, use fruit to do damage from afar), a potential combination of all three, and more that I'm positive I'm not thinking of.

We need to clearly define these, and use them all together for our most effective Pac-Man play.
Now you may be wondering, "why are you throwing such a large wall of text at me?!"
For those wondering, this is to show how undeveloped our character is right now. We still haven't fully unlocked his potential, and this is for a very good reason: he's just so damn versatile.
Pac-man can play in more ways than anyone else in the cast. He can camp, he can be more agressive due to his great frame data and well-rounded stats, he can set up awesome traps in nuetral to steal options and to kill opponents, and much more.
Each of his weaknesses can be solved by switching his playstyle during the match. Is the opponent pressuring you by ignoring your camp game by blasting the hydrant away? Then use it in another way, like using the water to launch your fruit to cover your approach.
Is the opponent shielding heavily because of your slow grab?
Use the trampoline to punish sheild happy opponents and condition them so that they don't feel safe in sheild, letting you go ham with the bonus fruit.
Lacking kill power?
Set up a trap with the red meteor trampoline and the hydrant or freak strawberry so that the opponent gets pushed into it, netting you a free Usmash punish.

There are so many things to do with this character that it is rediculous. And I can clearly see why there are so many differing opinions on his viability; because he's being judged by only one of the many things playstyles he can take on.

This ability to take on different roles and have an answer to everything really helps him hold his own against every top tier.

Diddy: trampoline stops diddy from grabbing and can take his banana out of the game if we plant a trampoline on top of it. We can also keep up with him in neutral with our long, fast tilts and lower tier fruit, that can space him out. Also, our hydrant gives us a good way to come back to the stage safely without an uair risk, and with the trampoline, helps us on the ground by messing up diddy's normal approach. Gimping him is too easy with the hydrant, side B, and BF.

Sheik: being on top of the hydrant is safe for us in this match up, as we can charge our fruit while the hydrant sheilds the needles. When she tries to knock the hydrant down with her fsmash, we can fall off and nair, or throw down an apple.
In this matchup, we force sheik to play very differently than normally, since she can't approach the way she wants to. EVERY fruit eats her needles, the strawberry and trampoline Out-of-shield stop her bread and butter SH approaches, and her bouncing fish is stopped by our fruit while we stand in our charging animation (the fruit has a hurtbox while charging, and blocks us from the attack)
This is definitely a battle of patience, as sheik is forced to approach us, while we can keep her at a safe distance with our fruit and traps. But sheik is still very threatning up close as her neutral is better than ours, and we can't set up many traps in neutral because planting a hydrant too close to her can get us punished pretty hard.
When it comes to killing, we win in this matchup because sheik's main kill options in uair, usmash, and bouncing fish become harder to land because of falling hydrant to cover our landing, and BF to stop her bouncing fish. Meanwhile our bell can steal a kill for us at around 90% since the stun is enough for us to kill her with a usmash or fsmash, or we can stage spike her with a well spaced bell during the vulnerability frames sheik has in the ledge after her recovery. The key also helps us steal kills at higher percentages if we catch her landing or we aim well in the air.

Of course, there is a lot more to the matchups than just these short descriptions, but you should be able get the big picture. We can compete.

There are also many more characters in top tier that we go toe to toe with.(captain falcon, ness, ZSS, pikachu, and yoshi comes to mind) but this post is getting long enough already lol. Maybe I'll discuss them in another post.
But I do hope that you all can see what pacman is about.
Pac-Man is a very strong character that thrives when the opponent is creative, versatile, and unpredictable with their options, and can definitely be a high tier threat in the future of the meta.

TL;DR:
Pac-Man's awesome versatility and unpredictability will be more than enough to allow him to keep up with the best in the game in the future.

Last edited:

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
I don't see AS shutting Ganondorf down in the same way other projectiles do. As a way to keep someone out I don't think AS is the best in that department. AS to me feels like a punishment on a mistake, or a way to condition an opponent into doing something you can punish. Either way, I feel like Ganondorf wouldn't be too bad in this MU because flame choke is really good even when teched as a kill setup.

Last edited:

Road Death Wheel

Smash Champion
NNID
Kairos-Xman
3DS FC
2406-5636-9789
one projectile really aint no problem for ganon its when u can control with it or zone.
it was never just ughp checkmate projectile auto lose. most ganon's know very well how to deal with projectles when aproaching.
maybe if u were talking about some with actually spammable AND potent zoning tools like DhD i would agree.

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light

I think Luke/D3 is even-ish, imo. D3 can kill him well and early before his Aura stuff kicks in, thanks to a slightly weaker neutral than what we're accustomed to from characters of his ilk. I wouldn't count the little metal ******* out, though. His neutral game isn't that bad. And that rubber-banding B.S. can really hurt in the attrition aspect, and it's especially so with D3, for reasons that are kinda...well, he's fat and he's cumbersome. A few hard reads for D3 are great and all, but Lucario at higher percentages doesn't have to work quite as hard.

@ Shaya Shaya

We're a little disorganized down here, but I'm pretty sure there are Florida vids somewhere.

Smooth Criminal

Last edited:

M15t3R E

Smash Master
ESAM has dropped the ball twice in two weekends but that doesn't really retract from his dominance over Florida (a region unfortunately plagued with no tournament streams or matches being recorded to give people things to refer to) since the game's release. Pikachu has nothing easy on Sheik to say the least and this can be a big part to what's keeping Pika from top 3, but this is the 'curse' of anyone who isn't Sheik or Diddy right now. You could understand why people think ZSS is top 5 (or anyone else) just by looking at how they're playing in those two match ups. Probably loses to Diddy but doesn't seem bad against Sheik. That's pretty big, who doesn't seem to do poorly against Sheik?

Pika actually doesn't look to be deficient in either Diddy or Sheik match ups, but Pika's top tier cheese of hurtboxes don't really apply to either character as much as it applies to others (funnily enough, practically everyone else). In short~, Pika doesn't have a better off stage game than Sheik, nor does Pika have better on-stage tools/rewards than Diddy.
The key to winning the Pika vs Diddy or Pika vs Sheik MU as Pikachu is to read them harder than they read you. ESAM's creativity augments his unpredictability and that is why he (generally) keeps up with these characters. Pikachu also has less trouble approaching these top tier characters than most if not the rest of the cast. I have a friend who I play the game with frequently and he is a very competent Sheik player, having played Sheik and Fox in Melee tournaments since 2006. Our games go back and forth. We are both very adept in using our entire character's moveset and the momentum in the match shifts wildly back and forth like a small vessel in a sea storm. I really need to upload said matches. :ohwell:

Last edited:

Road Death Wheel

Smash Champion
NNID
Kairos-Xman
3DS FC
2406-5636-9789
The key to winning the Pika vs Diddy or Pikachu vs Sheik MU as Pikachu is to read them harder than they read you. ESAM's creativity augments his unpredictability and that is why he tends to keep up with these characters. I have a friend who I play the game with frequently and he is a very competent Sheik player, having played Sheik and Fox in Melee tournaments since 2006. Our games go back and forth. We are both very adept in using our entire character's moveset and the momentum in the match shifts wildly back and forth like a small vessel in a sea storm. I really need to upload said matches. :ohwell:
This is top level advise right here...

for ganondorf.....

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
@ Shaya Shaya not sure how relevant this is, I was looking up stuff from Choco and stumbled across a match with a Sheik and thought "oh, relevant!" so I'll post it here. Not sure how much of the MU is adaption and player skill (probably a lot considering the first game), but by the last game Sheik almost 2-stocks Choco. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WF_YiDl26_w

From a theoretical standpoint both characters seem to rack up damage on each other nicely and both have fantastic mobility options but have issues killing. Sheik seems to slightly force ZSS' hand in neutral because needles, and Sheik has some grab followups as well as ZSS. What other good matches showcasing this MU have we seen so far? I'd be interested to watch them. :)

Last edited:

Road Death Wheel

Smash Champion
NNID
Kairos-Xman
3DS FC
2406-5636-9789
@ Shaya Shaya not sure how relevant this is, I was looking up stuff from Choco and stumbled across a match with a Sheik and thought "oh, relevant!" so I'll post it here. Not sure how much of the MU is adaption and player skill (probably a lot considering the first game), but by the last game Sheik almost 2-stocks Choco. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WF_YiDl26_w

From a theoretical standpoint both characters seem to rack up damage on each other nicely and both have fantastic mobility options but have issues killing. Sheik seems to slightly force ZSS' hand in neutral because needles, and Sheik has some grab followups as well as ZSS. What other good matches showcasing this MU have we seen so far? I'd be interested to watch them. :)
is japan still doing fd only? i clicked through many japanese fights on youtube and only found fd being used.

Last edited:

Chinaux

Smash Ace
Having a projectile =/= you beat Ganon.

Ganon can **** up Lucario hard and I would honestly be more afraid of him than Lil'Mac.
Ganon can **** anyone up. He's really read reliant, similar to a heavy pac-man. Both characters need to be good at reads to be at all useful.

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
how the **** do you beat ddd?
Abuse projectiles against him in neutral if he has the audacity to spam gordos. Otherwise don't let him get a break basically. He's a weird character in that under the right circumstances he can walk all over you if you're not sure how to go against him, and then as soon as you realise how to play against him he suddenly fails to keep up.

Well, I dunno, I reckon if your character has good combos and a decent projectile then you'll be fine. :3

Road Death Wheel

Smash Champion
NNID
Kairos-Xman
3DS FC
2406-5636-9789
He has dumb priority and his moves are really weird in ways that they come out later than anyone would expect. I've been to a few smash 4 tournaments and 4/5 times I get out because of DDD.
no but seriously if ur losing to dedede using peach or zzs u are probably just respecting him 2 much.
not to discredit competent players using him of course.

Last edited:

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
Abuse projectiles against him in neutral if he has the audacity to spam gordos. Otherwise don't let him get a break basically. He's a weird character in that under the right circumstances he can walk all over you if you're not sure how to go against him, and then as soon as you realise how to play against him he suddenly fails to keep up.

Well, I dunno, I reckon if your character has good combos and a decent projectile then you'll be fine. :3
Pretty much this. Don't let D3 play his game. If you let D3 play his game, you're going to get overwhelmed.

Smooth Criminal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom