• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Competitive Impressions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vincent21

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2595-3155-0496
On another topic, Dabuz posted this about Rosa and Olimar with customs-on:

"Customs legal for Evo? I suggest no one lets me on stream if they want to see anything but a snoozefest~"

"No but real talk, Rosa and Oli with Customs, broke as **** GG everyone <3"
I'm not gunna lie I was messing around with Oli and I'm pretty scared that he said that...

Wait I just tuned in on Shofu's because of the whole "customs are legal thing" and they're talking about smooth lander and equipment balancing... did that come with the Evo decision under the banner of customs? Is that a thing?

Because if it is I regret everything about being pro customs because smooth lander does not belong in this game. At all. Neither does Mirror Shield, the perfect shield buff, or pretty much anything involving equipment.

Last edited:

Saturn_

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Saturn.1000
I'm not gunna lie I was messing around with Oli and I'm pretty scared that he said that...

Wait I just tuned in on Shofu's because of the whole "customs are legal thing" and they're talking about smooth lander and equipment balancing... did that come with the Evo decision under the banner of customs? Is that a thing?

Because if it is I regret everything about being pro customs because smooth lander does not belong in this game. At all. Neither does Mirror Shield, the perfect shield buff, or pretty much anything involving equipment.
I thought they said equipment was definitely going to be off?

On another topic, Dabuz posted this about Rosa and Olimar with customs-on:

"Customs legal for Evo? I suggest no one lets me on stream if they want to see anything but a snoozefest~"

"No but real talk, Rosa and Oli with Customs, broke as **** GG everyone <3"
There is already talk of banning certain custom moves, like Olimar's Order Tackle...The thought of Smash having some ridiculous Smogon-style tier listing of custom moves makes me super sad :( :(

Last edited by a moderator:

SatoshiM

Smash Cadet
I do think that they'll patch out the Olimar exploit, so it shouldn't be a big deal.

For Rosa, I guess it just cements her place as a high tier character. I haven't seen anything game breaking from them yet so I don't see a real problem; just like we haven't banned Diddy we shouldn't ban Rosa just because we don't understand the matchup fully yet.

Conda

aka COBBS - Content Creator (Toronto region)
His point is that some customs on some characters will, in his view, allow him to play in ways that are even more campy/evasive/defensive/avoidant than in some of his sets at Apex. He is fantastic at using defensive and evasive tactics during a match to gain the upper hand, and it's clear to him that certain custom moves will arm him to the teeth to be even more successful with these strategies.

Last edited:

Saturn_

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Saturn.1000
His point is that some customs on some characters make the game more camp-heavy and makes that tactic very successful, as some customs provide very strong 'defensive' options, the kind Dabuz excels at utilizing.
Will there be counterpicking customs? Will you be allowed to change loadouts to suit character or level?

Conda

aka COBBS - Content Creator (Toronto region)
Will there be counterpicking customs? Will you be allowed to change loadouts to suit character or level?
Dunno, I haven't read the details of Evo's ruleset in detail. If you want to find out about ruleset news, be sure to head to the ruleset thread. It'd be just as strange to go to the ruleset thread and ask "So what do you guys think about the Mario vs Sheik matchup?" :p

So - are the anti-camp/evasion/timeout strategies bolstered by customs-on as much as the anti-camp/evasion/timeout strategies are bolstered?

Last edited:

HeavyLobster

Smash Champion
NNID
HeavyLobster43
Rosa definitely gets better at keeping out Sheik/Diddy with customs, but most other characters get something that helps them get around Luma. Rosa in general becomes less of a gatekeeper and polarizing character and becomes better at winning tourneys but is less imposing for any number of lower-tiered chars(Ganon says hi).

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
Rosa definitely gets better at keeping out Sheik/Diddy with customs, but most other characters get something that helps them get around Luma. Rosa in general becomes less of a gatekeeper and polarizing character and becomes better at winning tourneys but is less imposing for any number of lower-tiered chars(Ganon says hi).
I don't understand why people say this about ganon vs rosalina. What does ganon get that changes the mu?

I don't think thats entirely true because if she was as bad as people claim than I wouldnt be beating a high level player such as nietono or going to game 5 with false etc with such a bad character. Even if its just me I still got pretty good enough results to show that she isnt bottom 3 for sure or at least better results than some characters who arent seen at all lol (if you base it off results/MU of course).

Care to explain why you feel Zelda is good other than check my results bro? I'm not trying to take away your accomplishments but you could be doing a lot better if you stopped messing around with Zelda and Robin. But I'm probably wrong you did well at Apex.

Last edited:

HeavyLobster

Smash Champion
NNID
HeavyLobster43
I don't understand why people say this about ganon vs rosalina. What does ganon get that changes the mu?
Dropkick and Dark Fists make Ganon significantly harder to gimp, and Flame Chain is good at getting rid of Luma. Really the recovery buffs by themselves make things so much better.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Dropkick and Dark Fists make Ganon significantly harder to gimp, and Flame Chain is good at getting rid of Luma. Really the recovery buffs by themselves make things so much better.
Kind of niche, but Warlock Blade could also poke outside Rosaluma range.

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
Wizard's Foot is really difficult to use in the Rosalina matchup for a few reasons; it's probably the matchup where Dropkick shines the most.

Anyway, here's an incomplete list of customs that put Luma in tumble, hit through Luma, or otherwise have some anti-Luma behavior that their defaults don't.
  • Shocking Cape
  • Dash Slash
  • Lick
  • Koopa Drift
  • Impatient Mechakoopa
  • Giant Mechakoopa
  • Speeding Bike
  • Kong Cyclone
  • Battering Banana Peel
  • Power Bow
  • Quickfire Bow
  • Ripping Boomerang
  • Phantom Strike
  • Piercing Needles
  • Warlock Blade
  • Flame Chain
  • Dark Fists
  • Wizard's Dropkick
  • Piercing Arrows
  • High-Speed Boomerang
  • Short Fuse Bombs
  • Slow (Super) Missiles
  • Melee Charge Shot (lol)
  • Apex Screw Attack
  • Plasma Dash
  • Shooting Star Flip Kick
  • Whip Lash
  • Piercing Bow
  • Impact Orbitars
  • Explosive Flame
  • Super Speed
  • Rocket Jump
  • Celestial Firework
  • Crescent Slash
  • Dashing Assualt
  • Heavy Blade
  • Close Combat
  • Unyielding Blade
  • Aether Wave
  • Arcfire+
  • Quick Thunder
  • Fire Wall
  • Hammer Bash
  • Wave Cutter
  • Grounding Stone
  • Leaping Inhale
  • Giant Hammer
  • Upper Cutter
  • Dedede Storm
  • Topspin Gordo
  • Rising Dedede
  • Taste Test
  • Bouncing Gordo
  • Quick Dedede Jump
  • Dash Jet Hammer
  • Entangling Tornado
  • High-Speed Drill
  • Blade Coaster
  • Dreadful Tornado
  • Stealth Smash
  • Flaming Straight Lunge
  • Guard Breaker
  • Rising Smash
  • Dash Counter
  • Fox Burst
  • Twisting Fox
  • Falco Charge
  • Distant Fire Bird
  • Thunder Burst
  • Thunder Shock
  • Heavy Skull Bash
  • Fire Fang
  • Blast Burn
  • Rising Cyclone
  • Dragon Rush
  • Rock Hurl
  • Snaring Aura Sphere
  • Glancing Counter
  • Piercing Aura Sphere
  • Long-Distance Force Palm
  • Extreme Speed Attack
  • Relentless Rollout
  • Hyper Voice
  • Leaping Rest
  • Pound Blitz
  • Shadow Strike
  • Exploding Attack
  • Shifting Shurikin
  • Shadow Dash
  • Zigzag Shot
  • Clay Break
  • PK bonfire
  • Lasting PK Thunder
  • Rolling PK Thunder (lol)
  • Forward PSI Magnet
  • Dashing Falcon Punch
  • Falcon Kick Fury
  • Garden
  • Pushy Lloid
  • Huge Header
  • Jumbo Hoop
  • Volatile Breathing
  • Sweeping Sun Salutation
  • Weighted Header
  • Advancing Air Slash
  • Dash Vision
  • Power Vision
  • On-Fire Hydrant
  • Enticing Power Pellet
  • Dire Hydrant
  • Ice Slasher
  • Tornado Hold
  • Shadow Blade
  • Plant Barrier
Some of these customs people won't actually use. Some they are going to use regardless of Luma, in the Rosalina matchup or otherwise. But the bottom line is, the world becomes a scarier place for lumas.

Nairo

Banned via Administration
I'm still intensifying over here on that knowledge drop on Robin I was supposed to get from you when said question was passed along @ Nairo Nairo my hopes were officially raised and everything
What question lolol I musta missed it. I usually explain stuff about Robin and others on my stream when people ask so I'll see if its something I answered before.

Nobie

Smash Champion
NNID
SDShamshel
3DS FC
2809-8958-8223
Wizard's Foot is really difficult to use in the Rosalina matchup for a few reasons; it's probably the matchup where Dropkick shines the most.

Anyway, here's an incomplete list of customs that put Luma in tumble, hit through Luma, or otherwise have some anti-Luma behavior that their defaults don't.
  • Shocking Cape
  • Dash Slash
  • Lick
  • Koopa Drift
  • Impatient Mechakoopa
  • Giant Mechakoopa
  • Speeding Bike
  • Kong Cyclone
  • Battering Banana Peel
  • Power Bow
  • Quickfire Bow
  • Ripping Boomerang
  • Phantom Strike
  • Piercing Needles
  • Warlock Blade
  • Flame Chain
  • Dark Fists
  • Wizard's Dropkick
  • Piercing Arrows
  • High-Speed Boomerang
  • Short Fuse Bombs
  • Slow (Super) Missiles
  • Melee Charge Shot (lol)
  • Apex Screw Attack
  • Plasma Dash
  • Shooting Star Flip Kick
  • Whip Lash
  • Piercing Bow
  • Impact Orbitars
  • Explosive Flame
  • Super Speed
  • Rocket Jump
  • Celestial Firework
  • Crescent Slash
  • Dashing Assualt
  • Heavy Blade
  • Close Combat
  • Unyielding Blade
  • Aether Wave
  • Arcfire+
  • Quick Thunder
  • Fire Wall
  • Hammer Bash
  • Wave Cutter
  • Grounding Stone
  • Leaping Inhale
  • Giant Hammer
  • Upper Cutter
  • Dedede Storm
  • Topspin Gordo
  • Rising Dedede
  • Taste Test
  • Bouncing Gordo
  • Quick Dedede Jump
  • Dash Jet Hammer
  • Entangling Tornado
  • High-Speed Drill
  • Blade Coaster
  • Dreadful Tornado
  • Stealth Smash
  • Flaming Straight Lunge
  • Guard Breaker
  • Rising Smash
  • Dash Counter
  • Fox Burst
  • Twisting Fox
  • Falco Charge
  • Distant Fire Bird
  • Thunder Burst
  • Thunder Shock
  • Heavy Skull Bash
  • Fire Fang
  • Blast Burn
  • Rising Cyclone
  • Dragon Rush
  • Rock Hurl
  • Snaring Aura Sphere
  • Glancing Counter
  • Piercing Aura Sphere
  • Long-Distance Force Palm
  • Extreme Speed Attack
  • Relentless Rollout
  • Hyper Voice
  • Leaping Rest
  • Pound Blitz
  • Shadow Strike
  • Exploding Attack
  • Shifting Shurikin
  • Shadow Dash
  • Zigzag Shot
  • Clay Break
  • PK bonfire
  • Lasting PK Thunder
  • Rolling PK Thunder (lol)
  • Forward PSI Magnet
  • Dashing Falcon Punch
  • Falcon Kick Fury
  • Garden
  • Pushy Lloid
  • Huge Header
  • Jumbo Hoop
  • Volatile Breathing
  • Sweeping Sun Salutation
  • Weighted Header
  • Advancing Air Slash
  • Dash Vision
  • Power Vision
  • On-Fire Hydrant
  • Enticing Power Pellet
  • Dire Hydrant
  • Ice Slasher
  • Tornado Hold
  • Shadow Blade
  • Plant Barrier
Some of these customs people won't actually use. Some they are going to use regardless of Luma, in the Rosalina matchup or otherwise. But the bottom line is, the world becomes a scarier place for lumas.
Mega Man's Danger Wrap does a ton of damage to Luma and can explode on either Luma or Rosalina. All you need is 4 hits. Of course, that's easier said than done, but between all of the other moves Mega Man has, slipping one in there can go a long way towards taking Luma out of the picture.

Ultinarok

Smash Lord
I'm still intensifying over here on that knowledge drop on Robin I was supposed to get from you when said question was passed along @ Nairo Nairo my hopes were officially raised and everything
I'm no Robin expert like Nairo, but have some experience with her, and she really isn't bad. She just requires patience and control to use well, she can't spam and she can't get too greedy. Her defensive game is one of the game's best, between three versatile projectiles, a good grab, a command grab, and the excellent range of the Levin Sword. Her aerial game is among the game's best in terms of power-to-speed ratio due to her very quick nair, lethal uair, effective bair and dair spike and her quick pressure-reducing fair. Her smash attacks also possess very favorable hitboxes and excellent power.

Her mobility is poor, but that's not a problem for her because she isn't meant to be offensive, she is a defensive punish character and has good spacing tools for exactly that reason. Thunder + Arcfire core is better than you give it credit for. Yeah its too slow for Sheik or Diddy, but every projectile is for the most part, and Robin at least has good survivability and smash attacks that can tip the scales (pun intended) on a good read.

Robin is not top tier material, but she is definitely not bottom either. She's a solid mid, probably close to where Marth is sitting. She can projectile camp and punish heavyweights all day too.

On a different topic, I agree that Wii Fit Trainer, Dedede, G&W, Samus and Zelda are probably the "bottom five" everyone seems to talk about. Bowser and Charizard probably narrowly avoid bottom five, and Dr. Mario, Lucina and POSSIBLY Ganondorf, depending on how the meta evolves with customs, probably come in next.

The overall balance is still good, but the very first time I used those five I noticed immediate flaws.

Zelda is weaker, inconsistent as hell, Din's was nerfed for no reason, Phantom doesn't hit properly much of the time and she still can't combo well, despite clear efforts to make this easier for her. SDI smashes (why is this still a thing in a world of flawless foxcopters and Mach Tornadoes?) and while faster and heavier, she's still too easy to KO. Credit to Nairo for his success with her, because even Brawl Zelda was better it seems.

Wii Fit suffers from a poor, gimpable recovery and terrible range and hitboxes on her moves that make her whiff continuously, forcing her user to play exceptionally well to land good strings on a good player. Her attacks are also too laggy for how hard they are to land.

Dedede has atrocious mobility and his aerial game is too slow, plus being able to reflect gordos takes away his otherwise stellar defensive game, since he lacks a safe projectile.

G&W, one of my old favorites was nerfed way too hard, losing kill power on everything, still being a super lightweight, losing many great hitboxes on signature attacks, having his damage output reduced and nerfing his Down B options. I like his new speed and better combo ability but he needs at least more power on fair and a bit more damage on nair and bair (his bread and butter attacks need to be really good).

Samus still suffers from a terrible neutral game, a lack of many combos, inconsistent kill moves that can be SDI'ed, asinine priority, a loss of good zair, dair and DSmash. She's arguably still worse than Brawl despite her buffs in other areas. In free-for-alls she's probably amazing though.

Last edited:

Kofu

Smash Master
NNID
Atoyont
3DS FC
1521-4492-7542
is dong cyclone the best custom in the game?
No, it's Spinphony. Melee Charge Shot is a close second.

In all actuality that's a pretty tough thing to quantify. Are you measuring it by how much it improves a certain character, or by how good the move is on its own?

Ultinarok

Smash Lord
Hammer Spin Dash
Super Speed
Jumbo Hoops
Zigzag Shot
Timber Counter
Lightweight
maybe some others?

I'm not sure the Dong can quite match the stupidity of these.
I may be crazy or ignorant, but Twisting Fox and Power Bow (at least in 3DS) may be among these. Twisting Fox sacrifices only a slightly lower movement speed for the ability to trap opponents and kill early. Really early. Earlier than USmash. Power Bow is crap unless fully charged but when fully charged is easily the most powerful projectile in Smash history. It moves quickly, does over 20% if I recall and kills offstage at like 50%. Ridiculous.

Oh and Lick is absurd too. It may not be as good because it makes Yoshi lose his Egg Lay setups but it aids his recovery and kills earlier than his Side Smash while also being faster than it and usable in the air. Aggro Yoshis will have a field day with it.

Then there are some other stupidly good ones like Dark Fists and Dropkick for Ganon, Meteor Quick Attack for Pikachu, Dragon Rush for Zard, and Clothesline Tornado and Fast Megavitamin for Doc.

I unlocked every custom in the game shortly before the Wii U version came out so I can testify that not all customs are created equally good, and some (like Timber Counter) are just plain dumb.

Last edited:

Terotrous

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1762-2767-5898
Now for some responses that no one will care about anymore because CUSTOMS!

Mobility is above average, if not outright good.

People still talk about Mario because he's relevant to the competitive scene. You can say this for any character.
You know full well we talk about Mario like 5 times more than most characters. Compare the amount of Mario discussion to, say, Fox.

There's nothing average about Mario, I thought we got this all figured out way back in page 300's. Guess not.
I would argue that his survivability and damage output are both pretty average.

Actually, wait, no, forget I said that, now I'm becoming part of the problem.

But the 3 worst are definitely Samus, Dedede and G&W imo.
A lot of people are putting GW near the bottom, and I just don't really see it. Sure, he lost Bucket Braking and Bair isn't as good, but Nair and Dair are still great and he did get some nice buffs, like faster FSmash. USmash is also still bonkers with invincibility and power, you just do not challenge that thing.

And of course, there's still Oil Panic, which is a pretty big factor in some matchups, most notably vs Pika, Luigi, and Fox.

I doubt he's high tier or anything but I definitely don't see him as dead bottom. At worst he's kind of lacklustre rather than totally broken the way most of the bad characters are.

Well I'm just gonna change the subject...
Instead of whose the worst, let's talk about a perceived high mid tier: R.O.B.
How do people feel about him?
I'm still a pretty big believer in ROB. He's kind of similar to Yoshi in that he's a hybrid zoner who can mix it up between fighting at range and up close (in his case via good pokes and throws) and I think this is a pretty strong playstyle in general. Like Yoshi, he's also got good survivability and solid kill power too, and he even has a combo throw where Yoshi doesn't. A kill throw also definitely never hurts.

I should probably play some more ROB. He was one of my best characters in BBrawl. Maybe that explains why I ended up transitioning over to Yoshi, come to think of it.

Eh, I never really trust training mode. AI doesn't DI and moves don't stale properly. When I see this done against real players we can talk.

Also could be super % dependent.

Why the f are you people still talking this BULL****!?!?!

CUSTOMS ON AT EVO!!!!!!!

LES GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!
I heard about this last night at Gamefaqs and I was like "wow, some people at Smashboards are really going to be happy".

We now commence 400 pages of discussion about the Customs On metagame.

warionumbah2

Smash Master
Go to the MK video thread, he posted matches from twitch and he pulled off the combos in that video. So yes NOW you can talk.

Last edited:

Terotrous

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1762-2767-5898
Go to the MK video thread, he posted matches from twitch and he pulled off the combos in that video. So yes NOW you can talk.
Shoulda linked that video instead then. There's been approximately 10 million instances of someone posting some "super OP infinite combo" that doesn't even come close to working outside of training mode.

For reference, here is the actual post where he shows the stuff so other people don't have to hunt for it.

http://smashboards.com/threads/meta...n-critique-thread.371317/page-2#post-18620264

Some cool stuff in here for sure but some of it definitely looks a bit situational.

Last edited:

Terotrous

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1762-2767-5898
He uploaded it like a half hour later, anything else?
No need to be so hostile bro. I said I wanted to see it done in a match, you could have just provided it. Not everyone is going to be scouring the character video threads for characters they don't use.

Last edited:

Terotrous

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1762-2767-5898
Well it's nice to see MK finally being the character he basically should have been all along. I think it's been clear since patch 1.0.4 that he's got potential but some people are probably still sleeping on him. Dtilt to Dash Attack is pretty bananas, even if you can't always get the footstool that's still a solid combo starter.

It's also kinda scary to have a character who is that fast and safe having such solid kill power and gimps. At least his sword isn't quite as long as it was before.

Last edited:

Ultinarok

Smash Lord
Just played some games as Samus since I barely used her at all since getting the game, to get a better idea on why she's so bad for myself. First off, the good:

-I like her mobility, much better than before. She moves more fluidly and follows up better.
-Her tilts are all more useful and faster, even if dtilt is much weaker.
-Charge Shot is great when it actually connects.
-She definitely kills a little easier than before.
-Great grab and excellent pummel. Throws have some follow ups like fair or uair.

The bad:
-USmash is asinine. Why can't it hit next to her AT ALL? Even tall characters like Link avoid it. She literally has to juggle to connect this thing.
-Bair and Uair are TOO WEAK. There is no reason Samus should have less kill power with these moves than Sheik, who is supposed to be fast, combo-friendly and weak. Bair literally can't kill even at the stage edge until well above 100%.
-Missiles suck. Too slow for how ineffective they are in knockback. Smash missiles need to kill way earlier.
-Uair and fair need the Sheik/Fox treatment of trapping the opponent in their gravity to ensure the final blow connects.
-Jab hits are terrible at both connecting.
-Dair is too slow on startup, easy to hell to avoid.
-Dash attack has awkward startup frames that make it possible to lunge through an opponent before using the shoulder bash, even though Ganon and Falcon don't have that issue.
-Side-smash should have a bit more power on sourspot.
-Down-smash is horrendous. No damage OR knockback. Not that great in speed either.

There's a lot of issues that need to be worked out here.

Last edited:

Terotrous

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1762-2767-5898
-USmash is asinine. Why can't it hit next to her AT ALL? Even tall characters like Link avoid it. She literally has to juggle to connect this thing.
The worst part is that Gunner's version of this move works properly.

Even if you juggle it still frequently doesn't link properly.

Last edited:

HeavyLobster

Smash Champion
NNID
HeavyLobster43
The worst part is that Gunner's version of this move works properly.

Even if you juggle it still frequently doesn't link properly.
I guess Sakurai's basically just telling us to play as Mii Gunner in a Samus helmet if we actually want to win as her.

Ultinarok

Smash Lord
Testing Dedede now for the same reason as Samus. Overall, he actually isn't bad. But a couple things are definitely holding him back.

-He has great tilts. Seriously, one of the best set of tilts in the game hands down. Dtilt is fast, moves him forward, can KO at high percentages and has a HUGE hitbox. Side tilt has phenomenal range and links well, much better than Brawl. Utilt is nerfed and much worse at killing, but is still fast, has a great arcing hitbox, and is one of Dedede's most reliable tools. Good juggling too.
-Jet Hammer is awesome. Really solid move. Its like a mobile Eruption for Ike, but a little harder to land. Seriously kills super early though. Excellent edgeguarding tool for sure.
-His aerials aren't as bad as suggested. They're actually very quick and reliable on their own merits. Uair connects better and kills decently, dair is a great meteor when sweetspotted, fair and bair are solid. Nair doesn't seem great though edit: scratch that, nair is pretty good.
-His grab and throw game is still supreme, even without chaingrabs. Incredibly solid. Does anyone have a better overall grab game than this guy? Not even Sonic, Ike or Palutena seem as good.
-His dash speed is actually decent.

The problem though:
-His aerial mobility is ludicrous. He's so slow and his jumps are so low that his aerials seem to be worse than they actually are, because his jumps do nothing to help space them or gimp with them, and they cause him terrible landing lag on all of them too.
-Gordo SHOULD NOT BE REFLECTABLE WITH BASIC MOVES. Why do this to a character that isn't overpowered? He needs this projectile to be consistent. Only strong moves should reflect this, if anything.
-Dash attack is laggy as all hell. SO punishable. Really hurts his approach since he otherwise has a decent dash.
-This one is, in my opinion, the biggest issue:
THE SOURSPOTS. They're terrible. All of his hammer attacks have these abysmally weak close-up sourspots with NO kill power at all. Even his side Smash has laughable knockback if it doesn't land squarely. His dair becomes crap, his bair becomes punishable, and his side smash and up smash become unreliable even on a good read. Get rid of these or make them stronger, please.

I'd go so far to say that without the sourspots, Dedede wouldn't need much else, as his other weaknesses are par for the course. These seriously ruin his KO ability.

Last edited:

David Viran

Smash Lord
-Bair and Uair are TOO WEAK. There is no reason Samus should have less kill power with these moves than Sheik, who is supposed to be fast, combo-friendly and weak. Bair literally can't kill even at the stage edge until well above 100%.
Her Bair is one of the most powerful in the game

Ultinarok

Smash Lord
Her Bair is one of the most powerful in the game
How? MK's kills 40% earlier, Fox's kills 30% earlier, Sheik's kills 30% earlier when sweetspotted, Falco's kills about 40% earlier sweetspotted, Robin's kills 30% earlier, Bowser's kills like 60% earlier at least, Ike's kills 20% earlier and is much faster, Dedede's kills earlier, Kirby's kills earlier and is faster, ZSS (yes, her WITHOUT armor) kills about the same and is easier to land, Falcon's kills 40% earlier, Ganon's kills 50% earlier...the list goes on and on...how is her's one of the strongest?

Unless you think I'm talking about ZSS, in which I agree, in terms of overall speed, utility and KO power its one of the best. I'm talking armored Samus.

Last edited:

David Viran

Smash Lord
How? MK's kills 40% earlier, Fox's kills 30% earlier, Sheik's kills 30% earlier when sweetspotted, Falco's kills about 40% earlier sweetspotted, Robin's kills 30% earlier, Bowser's kills like 60% earlier at least, Ike's kills 20% earlier and is much faster, Dedede's kills earlier, Kirby's kills earlier and is faster, ZSS (yes, her WITHOUT armor) kills about the same and is easier to land, Falcon's kills 40% earlier, Ganon's kills 50% earlier...the list goes on and on...how is her's one of the strongest?
Where are you getting these numbers at samus's Bair kills at 80-85 percent from the ledge. Were you hitting some kind of sour spot or staling the crap out of it before killing with it. Also did you say sheiks Bair kills earlier than zss's because zss's kills about 20% earlier.

Terotrous

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1762-2767-5898
Where are you getting these numbers at samus's Bair kills at 80-85 percent from the ledge. Were you hitting some kind of sour spot or staling the crap out of it before killing with it. Also did you say sheiks Bair kills earlier than zss's because zss's kills about 20% earlier.
Dude, we're talking about clothed samus. The bad one. Those numbers might be slightly off but her Bair definitely doesn't have the kill power it did in Brawl.

I feel like Samus's entire design was based around the notion that UpB would be a potent kill move, then they took that out just before release.

Last edited:

san.

1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
Bair is really strong, but it has a sourspot.

Terotrous

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1762-2767-5898
Have you guys used her I swear it killed very earlier. I remember going through a lot of the powerful Bair and samus's was one of the most powerful.
I've definitely played her some in Smash4. I can't verify those numbers right now (I'm at work), but numerous times I've landed the Bair at percents where I expected it to kill and it didn't even come close.

It's possible it's just an obnoxious sourspot, but either way the move just isn't that reliable for kills.

EDIT: Samurai'd

Last edited:

Ultinarok

Smash Lord
It very well may. I may be overestimating Sheik's bair because of how easily Sheik can gimp offstage with it compared to ZSS. They're both insane bairs either way. Samus' is among the weakest in the game when sourspotted, which is VERY often. Even fresh it fails to kill a DI-ing Mario at the edge of Brinstar at 140%. Most characters can end a stock with bair much earlier than that more reliably.

I've played Samus many times and I've never landed a sweetspot on her bair. And I'm not what you'd call terrible at landing attacks because I consistently land knee of justice and lightning kicks, attacks infamous for brief sweetspots. Maybe I just time it wrong. Either way, the sourspot needs to be stronger.

Edit: just played Samus again and tried a different timing on bair. Landed it, and it killed at 75% offstage. The timing is way too precise for it to be reliable though. It basically has to hit frame 1 at the very edge of her foot. This wouldn't be a problem if the move was like Wolf's bair from Brawl, where it was still solid when sourspotted, but its terrible when it you land the sourspot.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom