• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character customization

To what extent do you feel character customization is acceptable in a competitive setting?

• None at all. Characters should be left in their default state, and Mii Fighters disallowed.

Votes: 6 14.3%
  • Gear / stat customization is allowed, but not movesets. Thus, Mii Fighters should be disallowed.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Moveset customization is allowed, but not gear / stats. Thus, Mii Fighters should be disallowed.

Votes: 23 54.8%
  • All customization is acceptable, but Mii Fighters should still be disallowed.

Votes: 2 4.8%
  • All customization is acceptable, and it's OK to use Mii Fighters.

Votes: 11 26.2%

• Total voters

Shuckle89

Smash Apprentice
I am all but certain that weight will affect a given Mii's attributes.

I hope there is a quick and easy means by which to review the stats, because then I may reconsider my stance. I think it'd be ideal if it gave a number, but if it's a slider or something then we'd still be dealing with approximations, and I don't like that. Still, even if it does give exact numbers, my point stands that a player will not have had the opportunity to experience fighting that particular Mii in advance. From what we've seen of the game so far, it seems like there are thresholds after which characters are suddenly knocked back much farther. I want to know where those thresholds are for each character so that I know whether I can continue a combo, and that's not necessarily something I can figure out after one attack on a Mii.

It is indeed also possible that Miis may not be competitively viable at all no matter the size/weight and this is all just not going to be an issue, but I'm setting rules for my tournament under the optimistic assumption that the game will, in fact, be well balanced. :p

I feel that the main difference between characters with random attacks and characters with customized stats is that you know in advance that Peach has random turnips, and can research their exact properties ahead of time, whereas again, you have only vague, general knowledge of a Mii's stat range.

That said, "adapt or die" is a good mantra. Better players certainly will adapt to unknowns faster. However, my concern remains that Mii Fighters have the potential to cause upsets due to lack of exact match up knowledge in advance for one of the players.

I'm also planning a Smash Run side event in which any sort of customization is allowed, so people will be able to play any Mii Fighters there without restriction. However, in a competitive setting, I think that both players should have access to exact match up info for the most fair fights possible.
Well, I think, at first, you should just try mii's and see how it turns out. Not knowing how balanced they will be, I'd focus on the speed to set it up. Just make a few mii's of average height and see if it is easy to pick them.

If there simply is a correlation between hight and weight, we just need to see what the impact of it is. If that's really all there is to it, I don't think it's much of a problem, because mii's are probably shown at the match so opponents can see whether it's small or big. At least, that's what I'd think.

Well, only time will tell.

200X!!

Smash Apprentice
NNID
sweetidealism
3DS FC
5327-0916-5405
Well, I think, at first, you should just try mii's and see how it turns out. Not knowing how balanced they will be, I'd focus on the speed to set it up. Just make a few mii's of average height and see if it is easy to pick them.

If there simply is a correlation between hight and weight, we just need to see what the impact of it is. If that's really all there is to it, I don't think it's much of a problem, because mii's are probably shown at the match so opponents can see whether it's small or big. At least, that's what I'd think.

Well, only time will tell.
Hmm. I suppose that if there were ever a time to test them out, a release tournament might be it since people won't really have experience with any matchups, haha. I could collect information on who was using Mii Fighters, how those Mii Fighters were designed, and how they placed. When I think about it that way, it sounds like a fun experiment, haha.

I still think that, in the future, I'll end up limiting them, but maybe just this once it'd be alright to give it a shot. I'll have to talk to my core group and see what they think though. Last thing I wanna do is divide my local community. D:

Last edited:

Shuckle89

Smash Apprentice
Hmm. I suppose that if there were ever a time to test them out, a release tournament might be it since people won't really have experience with any matchups, haha. I could collect information on who was using Mii Fighters, how those Mii Fighters were designed, and how they placed. When I think about it that way, it sounds like a fun experiment, haha.

I still think that, in the future, I'll end up limiting them, but maybe just this once it'd be alright to give it a shot. I'll have to talk to my core group and see what they think though. Last thing I wanna do is divide my local community. D:
That's exactly what I tried to say. I didn't mean to test beforehand, but see the release tournament as a test.

Would have loved to be there though.

200X!!

Smash Apprentice
NNID
sweetidealism
3DS FC
5327-0916-5405
That's exactly what I tried to say. I didn't mean to test beforehand, but see the release tournament as a test.

Would have loved to be there though.
Hey, you'd be more than welcome if you find yourself visiting southern California around Oct. 5th! :p

infomon

Smash Scientist
If you're throwing a smash4 tournament, I expect you to be hosting Smash4 -- what it is, not whatever you want it to be. Miis are characters in the game, so people should be able to pick them unless there's something fantastically wrong.

The principle that players should be able to know 100% what they're walking into each match -- that's a philosophical choice that you want to make, but if it isn't intrinsic to the game, it seems weird to take someone's character off the roster for it. If you're playing smash4 then I expect you to play against the diversity that the game provides.

Some games let players memorize combos that work 100% guaranteed when executed properly. Smash has never particularly been one of those games, and smash4 is its own game. That some Miis can be slightly different than others, is maybe part of the whole point of Smash. Players will learn to deal with it, or lose because they aren't as good as the players that can deal with it.

My perspective. I'm done ranting now :)

200X!!

Smash Apprentice
NNID
sweetidealism
3DS FC
5327-0916-5405
If you're throwing a smash4 tournament, I expect you to be hosting Smash4 -- what it is, not whatever you want it to be. Miis are characters in the game, so people should be able to pick them unless there's something fantastically wrong.

The principle that players should be able to know 100% what they're walking into each match -- that's a philosophical choice that you want to make, but if it isn't intrinsic to the game, it seems weird to take someone's character off the roster for it. If you're playing smash4 then I expect you to play against the diversity that the game provides.

Some games let players memorize combos that work 100% guaranteed when executed properly. Smash has never particularly been one of those games, and smash4 is its own game. That some Miis can be slightly different than others, is maybe part of the whole point of Smash. Players will learn to deal with it, or lose because they aren't as good as the players that can deal with it.

My perspective. I'm done ranting now :)
I appreciate the feedback.

KiraFlax

Smash Lord
Dont ban MII fighters...... already banning stuff, are you serious. by banning them right off the bat your destroy any hopes of people figuring out ways to utilize them with fair rules in tournaments. Also you are discouraging players from using them, having fun with them, and discouraging other hosts for having them in their rule sets. They are an element of the game that is not yet explored. You might as well start banning stages already.

Top Bottom