• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character discussion: How to beat Mr. Game and Watch

B.A.M.

Smash Lord
NNID
Bambatta
Just as someone said before. Patience saves you in this matchup. I perfer to doop walk or just regular walk in this matchup. Sonics walk is fast enough to ruin spacing in his aerials. Bair is VERY telegraphed and for that reason run and fair, u can get G&Ws all the time once u pick up their bair pattern. Watch for that pattern specifically. remember you can spot-dodge the splash hit from his bair and punish. There are 3 things that should be *****'d out this entire matchup: IDA OoS ftilt and walk back Fsmash. Ftilts really messes him up. G&W Dtilts seems amazing at first glance but FF Bairs shut it down. Remember if youre not walking and you are within close proximity of G&W if you feel the need to dash it to punish plese remember to SDSC. Otherwise you are giving your stock to the G&W. Footstool any land camping up-smash or any land camping in general ( you dont want to be there.) Uhh If they start fairing, then they are dumb so be kind and punish them to let them know. Remember how light G&W is, even if you spam F-smash, grabbing with a couple of pummels with get u the killpower you need. Now U-throw can kill at a decent percent anywhere so be wary of that, if they dont give you the opening for a bair,f-smash, or d-smash just let it be. Rack that damage. If you can, PLEASE kill him at the edge. Dont allow the chance to bucket brake. know your kill percents as u cant afford to play a stock tanking G&W. One matchup where edgeguarding is extremely difficult. FF fairs and bairs can catch him off guard at times, but u shouldnt count on it. Try to at least seem as if you are giving pressure. Ledge Drop Invincible Fairs/Nairs/Bairs may aid you if you are so hell bent on getting damage but thats it. Land camp him and know when to walk away from dair on reaction to punish. DONT USE ANY SPINS UNLESS YOU HAVE A GOOD READ ON THE G&W. This matchup isnt as bad as it initially seems. You have to slow down your game for the majority of the time let him throw things out there evade with walking/running movements and then punish. His hitboxes stay out for a decade which means hes a sitting duck if u evade properly. As long as you understand his range Sonic can do this. I dont believe this matchup should be 65-35, we **** his spacing. G&W is all spacing vs us because we can punish otherwise. Hopefully i get to play Leepuff soon and Oki's G&W again so i can give more advice.

I play a patient G&W and aggressive on occasion so I feel i understand the matchup fairly well. Hope this helps or makes any sense.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
How do you doop walk anyway?

Does that even have any use besides going "derp derp derp" while you move?

I'm being serious. just in case anybody thought I made this post only to insult.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
How do you doop walk anyway?

Does that even have any use besides going "derp derp derp" while you move?

I'm being serious. just in case anybody thought I made this post only to insult.
the easiest way is to just rotate the joystick in a manner that causes you to walk forward, turn around, walk forward, while still keeping your forward motion without stopping.

it's really hard for me to explain, you just feel it with your thumb >_< you kinda just wobble the joystick left and right...i'm sure you'll get the timing down eventually. just practice it for awhile.

and have you learned to DDP yet, dammit?

:093:

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Yes, I have learned how to consistently DDP and perform it at will.

I need to get Tails to upload the video of me doing so. I may not DDP in-tourney yet, but I do it whenever I remember.

B.A.M.

Smash Lord
NNID
Bambatta
Also this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xDmzXG7eVgw&NR=1

Second stock Espy plays it virtually similar as to what i described; Espy just owns. You let him swing and you react accordingly. The way you dont win this matchup is what Espy did afterwards; you dont go toe to toe with his aerials and spins will never work from that far unless you have the read especially in this matchup. The real reason why this match up messes sonics up is because we think that we have to go all out and rack damage with our spins. That is not the case in this match up. You follow the G&W DI and punish any retaliation of his. he cant do anything worthwhile even if he powershields a ftilt, he cant kill you as long as you space appropiately. Just look at how he effectively racked damage and it was fairly safe. O you make a wrong read and get hit by what dtilt? a dash attack? space his *** out. Hes screwed. And if you want an early spring kill, remember come at him from the side; its much easier.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Homing Attack = "I Quit" Button

JMan8891

Halfrican-American
Doop walking: Do an aerial with the A button, and keep it held down.

With the gamecube controller, set to c-stick smashing, begin to walk (you can vary that speed, for trippy-ness). From there, hit the C-stick in an 11 o'clock or 1 o' clock ish area. If your too straight vertically, nothing happens. If your too far horizantally, you begin a Fsmah. If done properly, you doop walk. Spam it, and you go all topsy turvy.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
^^^that's the insanely hard/impractical way.

just learn the motions with the joystick. once you get it down it you'll be able to do it with every character. if you want to know if you're doing it right, try it with link since his doop walk is nuts. sonic's is good too, but you can really notice it with link.

JMan8891

Halfrican-American
But its MUCH easier to vary the speed with that method. Try it after you've knocked the opponent far away, its a hilarious way to approach, and often legit throws them out off there read

~TBS~

Smash Champion
Rolling around at the speed of Sound, Maryland.
Also this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xDmzXG7eVgw&NR=1

Second stock Espy plays it virtually similar as to what i described; Espy just owns. You let him swing and you react accordingly. The way you dont win this matchup is what Espy did afterwards; you dont go toe to toe with his aerials and spins will never work from that far unless you have the read especially in this matchup. The real reason why this match up messes sonics up is because we think that we have to go all out and rack damage with our spins.
wut? Spinning into GnW is...:confused: I dont even...It wouldnt be advised IMO. If you go all out (already doing it wrong in this MU), and use spins to rack up damage (definitely doing it wrong), then GnW will punish you badly. Dont go all out, read his moves and use options that wont get you killed while doing it. Do more of a "Passive Aggressive" thing while playing GnW to get the best results...i think. I'd also say Spindash, but dont use it often. If you wait it out, you could surprise the GnW with a spindash from out of nowhere. I like how i say these things, yet i dont apply it. Stay moving, and annoy that 2D guy for being so OP. You just might find an opening. And if you spring, wont GnW just UpB it and destroy our spring?

I dont know why GnW *****...My problem is the long lasting hit-boxes with the most stupidest knockback. Really, getting killed so early is annoying. >_< Plus, bucket-braking makes GnW live too long, causing you to fish for killing moves, and all GnW has to do is bair to rack up your %, then he kills you. Ergh, this MU can be really bad if you are playing a really good one, or the ones that knows the Sonic MU.

B.A.M.

Smash Lord
NNID
Bambatta
You're not reading my post correctly. Im stating that alot of sonics tend to place spin-dashes into their playstyle during the G&W matchup, which gets us killed. We screw up spacing on his bair and if shielded you can spotdodge the last splash hit and punish. Thats how we give damage, and theres no need to fish for the kill, this whole match should be walking and punishing by the time kill percents roll around you either figured out his pattern,screw his spacing up again, and fsmash. This should be done in the right areas to prevent bucket-braking. You shouldnt be fsmashing someone in the middle of FD (just an example) with Sonic anyways. OoS Ftilt,IDA destroy G&W even walking out of bair range during his sh fsmashing or what ive been working on (Speed im sure ur pro at this) short DDP to dodge the bair then DDP fsmash ( i think thats how you would describe it lol) that messes up bairs. Again dude G&W lightness and bucket-bracket being not too great veritically, U-throw can kill. The matchup is hard, it just takes patience. Advanced Ground Movements make this matchup easier in my opinion but theyre not required. You just need to walk and watch. You have to play the spacing game with G&W plain and simple while being weary of any followsup if you chase his knockback.

~TBS~

Smash Champion
Rolling around at the speed of Sound, Maryland.
oh i see...Im too slow. >_<

Its just frustrating sometimes. Im in no means a pro at DDP, thats for Espeh. :p

also, arent we going to continue this? I think we went over GnW and syonryoken just pretty much explained everything else.

smashmaster8701

Smash Rookie
I have a friend who Plays G&W what you need to do is use a fast character who can punish for example MK tornado or side B, Marth or Ike down B, Snakes dash attack or anything that;s quick and can rack up damage. If the player is just too good for you with these moves than try to use a character that has brute strength. Hope this helps

Danny of AD 1

Smash Apprentice
Mr game and watch can't win against meta knight ice climbers snake or Mar th and is hard countered by olimar diddy Kong falco and pikachu try using any of the top 8 on the 2013 tier list

Top Bottom