• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
There's probably not much point in making this, but this is how I'd list potential DLC candidates:

S-Rank (Shoo-Ins)

-Nobody

A-Rank (Fairly likely, about 35%)

-Dixie Kong
-King K. Rool
-Wolf

B-Rank (Moderately likely, about 20%)

-Isaac
-Impa
-Lucas

C-Rank (Not too likely, but still a contender; about 10%)

-Bandana Dee
-Inkling

D-Rank (Unlikely due to some sort of issue, about 5%)

-Ice Climbers
-Snake

This obviously doesn't include everyone, but I think I got most of the notable and arguably most likely candidates.
Actually, S-Rank is wrong. Mewtwo is an S-Rank. :D

I'd probably put Isaac up one tier, but overall that's a pretty good analysis I think.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
I feel like the Henry Fleming support thread ought to be reopened.

Do you have to make a request to a mod or something?

Staarih

Smash Master
Seeing as the Duck Hunt trailer was tied in with the announcement of Duck Hunt coming to the Virtual Console, I wouldn't be surprised if we saw something similar happening with (possible) other DLC-characters. What I'm mainly thinking about at the moment is Lucas and Mother 3 but I guess there could be other examples of such as well.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
In that case, now that they have all the time in the world to develop DLC characters, and have to convince customers that these DLC characters are worth buying, why would they go with a character previously chosen to be a last-minute addition? Wouldn't it be wiser to use all that time to develop unique characters that many people would love to have in Smash, like Mewtwo?
I can see semi-clone characters being added to a DLC pack (that, of course, would already include wanted characters) as extras, similar to Tanooki Mario and Cat Peach in Mario Kart 8. And honestly as far as LoZ potential semi-clone goes, Toon Zelda is far more likely than Young Link considering his role has already been taken by Toon Link, being outright replaced. Heck, I'd say Roy is more likely than Young Link to be part of a DLC pack, considering at least he wasn't replaced and that, unlike Young Link, was actually planned for Brawl.

Burruni

Smash Hero
I'm just gonna put this out here, and I am almost certainly going to get pretty flamed for it. I don't think Impa and to a lesser extent Dixie are as likely as people say.

Impa has a few issues that I feel hold her back from being that likely
  1. Repeatedly changing designs, the ones people are asking for were SS (As a replacement for Sheik because Skyward Sword Zelda would be taking the slot, then as a clone, then as a semi-clone) or Hyrule Warriors (Still technically a non-canon source for Zelda material). Unlike the differences in, for example, the Link or Zelda designs, this is not just a matter of art style adjustments but they have different body structuring and scaling. Between those two it isn't as notable as Link to Toon Link, but I feel like it's important to note.
  2. Her importance to Zelda as a series. Impa has always been a side character, in some cases only existent in the instruction manual, to help progress the story in one way or another, as Zelda's overseer. Her jump to Hyrule Warriors is about as grandiose as the jump for characters like Midna or Ghirahim who became assist trophies despite them having bigger roles in their games... at least directly.
  3. Relation to the other Zelda representatives. When we look at who has been chosen or at least planned as a Zelda character in Smash, we have 3 Links (Normal, Toon, Young). 4 Zeldas (Normal Zelda/Sheik, Toon Zelda/Sheik), and a Ganon(dorf). These characters have one big thing in common: The Tri-Force, the relic that the series revolves around. The fact that we have not had a non-triforce Zelda character yet at least sets a standard that I don't see Impa being large enough to break. Arguably, Ganon the Wizpig is more likely because then the Smash roster would have 2 Links, 2 Zeldas, and 2 Ganons.
  4. Where I've seen her popularity swell from. Legitimately, I've seen Impa's support become more pronounced at a few stages of the speculation for this game (Not saying it wasn't present otherwise, this is just when I noticed it being more open). First was the hype for her being shown off for Hyrule Warriors originally, followed by shared Ghirahim fans because of the Fi trophy in the April direct clearly having to mean a character (or people convincing themselves later on that this would prove Ridley via King Ki Hunter) and basically got a chunk of the remaining supporters from the Dazzling Sword when he was confirmed as an assist trophy. The last peaks for her supporters being more populous and vocal were the few on-cartridge, link-game, or DLC rumors that come every once in a while.

With Dixie, it is just the fact that the only thing that she has had to differentiate from Diddy are slower speed for more jump height, the helicoptering hair, holding objects above her instead of ahead, and appearing in less games as a less pronounced character. Her entire plan in Brawl was to be a tag-team which didn't work out.

I still believe Dixie is fairly likely for DLC, but I don't see the expectation for Impa. The desire, yes. But the expectation is lost to me. I just needed to vent this out a bit.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
I'm just gonna put this out here, and I am almost certainly going to get pretty flamed for it. I don't think Impa and to a lesser extent Dixie are as likely as people say.

Impa has a few issues that I feel hold her back from being that likely
  1. Repeatedly changing designs, the ones people are asking for were SS (As a replacement for Sheik because Skyward Sword Zelda would be taking the slot, then as a clone, then as a semi-clone) or Hyrule Warriors (Still technically a non-canon source for Zelda material). Unlike the differences in, for example, the Link or Zelda designs, this is not just a matter of art style adjustments but they have different body structuring and scaling. Between those two it isn't as notable as Link to Toon Link, but I feel like it's important to note.
  2. Her importance to Zelda as a series. Impa has always been a side character, in some cases only existent in the instruction manual, to help progress the story in one way or another, as Zelda's overseer. Her jump to Hyrule Warriors is about as grandiose as the jump for characters like Midna or Ghirahim who became assist trophies despite them having bigger roles in their games... at least directly.
  3. Relation to the other Zelda representatives. When we look at who has been chosen or at least planned as a Zelda character in Smash, we have 3 Links (Normal, Toon, Young). 4 Zeldas (Normal Zelda/Sheik, Toon Zelda/Sheik), and a Ganon(dorf). These characters have one big thing in common: The Tri-Force, the relic that the series revolves around. The fact that we have not had a non-triforce Zelda character yet at least sets a standard that I don't see Impa being large enough to break. Arguably, Ganon the Wizpig is more likely because then the Smash roster would have 2 Links, 2 Zeldas, and 2 Ganons.
  4. Where I've seen her popularity swell from. Legitimately, I've seen Impa's support become more pronounced at a few stages of the speculation for this game (Not saying it wasn't present otherwise, this is just when I noticed it being more open). First was the hype for her being shown off for Hyrule Warriors originally, followed by shared Ghirahim fans because of the Fi trophy in the April direct clearly having to mean a character (or people convincing themselves later on that this would prove Ridley via King Ki Hunter) and basically got a chunk of the remaining supporters from the Dazzling Sword when he was confirmed as an assist trophy. The last peaks for her supporters being more populous and vocal were the few on-cartridge, link-game, or DLC rumors that come every once in a while.

With Dixie, it is just the fact that the only thing that she has had to differentiate from Diddy are slower speed for more jump height, the helicoptering hair, holding objects above her instead of ahead, and appearing in less games as a less pronounced character. Her entire plan in Brawl was to be a tag-team which didn't work out.

I still believe Dixie is fairly likely for DLC, but I don't see the expectation for Impa. The desire, yes. But the expectation is lost to me. I just needed to vent this out a bit.
1.) Not necessarily an issue; they gave Sheik a brand new design to make her fit with the Twilight Princess look. They could probably make Impa look fine.
2.) Rosalina was also a "side" character, and that didnt stop her.
3.) This uses the same logic as "only Lords can be playable Fire Emblem reps," something a lot of people stood by until Robin was revealed.
4.) Doesn't really matter where her popularity came from, just that it exists.

Burruni

Smash Hero
1.) Not necessarily an issue; they gave Sheik a brand new design to make her fit with the Twilight Princess look. They could probably make Impa look fine.
2.) Rosalina was also a "side" character, and that didnt stop her.
3.) This uses the same logic as "only Lords can be playable Fire Emblem reps," something a lot of people stood by until Robin was revealed.
4.) Doesn't really matter where her popularity came from, just that it exists.
1) Actually, that design wasn't "Brand New." It was originally made for Twilight Princess but was later removed. But that wasn't my point. Going from Ocarina of Time to Twilight Princess versions of Link, Zelda, and Sheik were more just shifting to the art style than a change in body structure. Ganondorf had a fair bit of change between Ocarina and TP and is a bit of a more fair comparison than SS to HW Impa. This is, as you said, not necessarily an issue but worth nothing.
2) Rosalina had more popularity, uniqueness as a fighter representing the Mario Galaxy games, and a more dominant place in a single design thanks to the side games. Her appearance at the very end of Galaxy 2 is still larger than some of the roles Impa has been delegated to. It's give and take but I believe Rosalina had more behind her,
3) Actually, that is my point. Like the FE-characters-are-Lords "rule", there is/was a standard. Robin as the iconic character who was the face of Awakening alongside Chrom and Lucina as a trio of protagonists with the Tactician/Magiknight fighting style was a big enough character (who also had tons of fan support) to break that standard which now is being retitled as "Fire Emblem Reps are Protagonists." I don't feel like Impa has the power to break the Zelda standard that Robin had to break the Fire Emblem standard.
4) I'm just saying that the value that many have for her seems to come more of "She's the last Skyward Sword character." or "Hyrule Warriors hype!" than the value of Impa herself especially. Hyrule Warriors meant to Impa as much as it did Midna and Ghirahim who many also believed would become playable characters (Midna moreso in Brawl).

Edit: I'm not saying Impa doesn't have popularity nor arguing that Skyward Sword and Hyrule Warriors gave her more spotlight focus. I just doubt that these will overcome what is against her.

We still have DLC rumors?

:joyful:
Yes, one particular person who claims to have a demo of a version of the game with Mewtwo, Isaac, Wolf, and Bandanna Dee already installed as DLC. Go back about 5 pages to get the gist.

Last edited:

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Rosalina was a side character who was being used recently as a marketing tool for the newest Mario games and also notably represents two most unique and successful Mario games out there (Galaxy 1+2). Impa doesn't have any notable roles in many Zelda games that can help her inclusion for DLC.

You don't bring up just her being a side character as an argument you know. :p

Last edited:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Rosalina was a side character who was being used recently as a marketing tool for the newest Mario games and also notably represents two most unique and successful Mario games out there (Galaxy 1+2). Impa doesn't have any notable roles in many Zelda games that can help her inclusion for DLC.
You don't bring up just her being a side character as an argument you know. :p
Hyrule Warriors and Skyward Sword?
EDIT: Nvm, misread.

Last edited:

ElPanandero

Smash Lord
NNID
ElPanandero
The announcement of 3D Majora's Mask

Happy Mask Salesman? Young Link Reborn? Skull Kid Graduation to playable? The Return of Temrina? Anything? Please?

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
Does anyone get a feeling that trailers increase the appeal of characters. Duck Hunt was meh to being ridiculed when they were leaked, but when people played them, they held them in better light. Now, we have this humorous trailer that basically gives the theme of them: a funny and endearing team.

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
Does anyone get a feeling that trailers increase the appeal of characters. Duck Hunt was meh to being ridiculed when they were leaked, but when people played them, they held them in better light. Now, we have this humorous trailer that basically gives the theme of them: a funny and endearing team.
Definitely a huge yes.

Kriven

Smash Journeyman
Off topic...
Er, no it's not. People were talking about Codename STEAM characters... Which Lincoln is a pretty big aspect of, being the Nick Fury of the Steampunk Avengers here.

For real ask yourself this before you decide to be a **** to somebody else: "Are they saying something relevant that I don't understand?" Then, just in case, maybe google the topic a little bit.

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
Anyone know any other currently running third-parties that have been doing successful recently.
Bravely Default and Monster Hunter come to mind, and wanna add 1 more 3rd party to my prediction list. (I'm planning to put Agnes in the list)

ElPanandero

Smash Lord
NNID
ElPanandero
Er, no it's not. People were talking about Codename STEAM characters... Which Lincoln is a pretty big aspect of, being the Nick Fury of the Steampunk Avengers here.

For real ask yourself this before you decide to be a **** to somebody else: "Are they saying something relevant that I don't understand?" Then, just in case, maybe google the topic a little bit.
I wasn't being a ****. Sorry I don't know about every ****ing game out there, he could have mentioned it, I'm not gonna google every name someone throws out if it belongs to another medium, that's asinine. Abraham Lincoln isn't a well known video game character, and it's a stupid request considering the red tape that would be involved, so stop being an elitist ******

Furthermore, if I google Abraham Lincoln, stuff about the president comes up anyway, so sweet theory dude, you win.

Last edited:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
You both need to calm down. It was a simple misunderstanding.

Anyone know any other currently running third-parties that have been doing successful recently.
Bravely Default and Monster Hunter come to mind, and wanna add 1 more 3rd party to my prediction list. (I'm planning to put Agnes in the list)
I'm gonna put my vote to Agnes. Though I'm curious what your third-party predictions are...is one of them Snack?

ElPanandero

Smash Lord
NNID
ElPanandero
You both need to calm down. It was a simple misunderstanding.

I'm gonna put my vote to Agnes. Though I'm curious what your third-party predictions are...is one of them Snack?
My B Kenith :sick:

I'll support Agnes, though a monster Hunter sounds dope

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319
1) Actually, that design wasn't "Brand New." It was originally made for Twilight Princess but was later removed. But that wasn't my point. Going from Ocarina of Time to Twilight Princess versions of Link, Zelda, and Sheik were more just shifting to the art style than a change in body structure. Ganondorf had a fair bit of change between Ocarina and TP and is a bit of a more fair comparison than SS to HW Impa. This is, as you said, not necessarily an issue but worth nothing.
2) Rosalina had more popularity, uniqueness as a fighter representing the Mario Galaxy games, and a more dominant place in a single design thanks to the side games. Her appearance at the very end of Galaxy 2 is still larger than some of the roles Impa has been delegated to. It's give and take but I believe Rosalina had more behind her,
3) Actually, that is my point. Like the FE-characters-are-Lords "rule", there is/was a standard. Robin as the iconic character who was the face of Awakening alongside Chrom and Lucina as a trio of protagonists with the Tactician/Magiknight fighting style was a big enough character (who also had tons of fan support) to break that standard which now is being retitled as "Fire Emblem Reps are Protagonists." I don't feel like Impa has the power to break the Zelda standard that Robin had to break the Fire Emblem standard.
4) I'm just saying that the value that many have for her seems to come more of "She's the last Skyward Sword character." or "Hyrule Warriors hype!" than the value of Impa herself especially. Hyrule Warriors meant to Impa as much as it did Midna and Ghirahim who many also believed would become playable characters (Midna moreso in Brawl).

Edit: I'm not saying Impa doesn't have popularity nor arguing that Skyward Sword and Hyrule Warriors gave her more spotlight focus. I just doubt that these will overcome what is against her.

Yes, one particular person who claims to have a demo of a version of the game with Mewtwo, Isaac, Wolf, and Bandanna Dee already installed as DLC. Go back about 5 pages to get the gist.
Is that the one with the obviously fake menu screen or is a text based one?

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
I know nothing about Monster Hunter, and only have a vague idea on Bravely Default...
Of course, my question is:

Why are we talking about Agnes when we should be talking about Black Mage?

ElPanandero

Smash Lord
NNID
ElPanandero

Maxwell is just a placeholder for a third party character. Anymore suggestions?
Young Link is all I need, you win

I know nothing about Monster Hunter, and only have a vague idea on Bravely Default...

It'd be interesting to see if they ever went with a generic but supes popular, non main-character, third party choice

ElPanandero

Smash Lord
NNID
ElPanandero
Although I don't expect Bandana Dee, I'm gonna have to agree, considering you have characters like Young Link and Fiora.
I dunno, I really don't see the value of Banana Dee, he's a minor character from a well repped series who barley has an identity. Young Link at least has the reboot, and I don't really know Fiora so don't have much to say on that front

Kriven

Smash Journeyman
I wasn't being a ****. Sorry I don't know about every ****ing game out there, he could have mentioned it, I'm not gonna google every name someone throws out if it belongs to another medium, that's asinine. Abraham Lincoln isn't a well known video game character, and it's a stupid request considering the red tape that would be involved, so stop being an elitist ******

Furthermore, if I google Abraham Lincoln, stuff about the president comes up anyway, so sweet theory dude, you win.
"Abraham Lincoln Nintendo" since you're too illiterate to figure out context.

And right, since you don't know every game out there is exactly why you shouldn't be presumptuous. If you're unwilling to fact-check before making statements, it isn't anybody else's problem if you don't know what's going on.

JSYK: there isn't any red tape involved with Abraham Lincoln, Tom Sawyer, The Cowardly Lion, or Henry Fleming. The only character from Code Name: STEAM with a copyright or trademark is Tiger Lily.

There's also a fundamental difference between telling you not to be flippant about posts you don't understand and being an elitist.

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod

Because she's the face of Bravely Default for some reason. Also, it's Agnès not Agnes.

ElPanandero

Smash Lord
NNID
ElPanandero
"Abraham Lincoln Nintendo" since you're too illiterate to figure out context.

And right, since you don't know every game out there is exactly why you shouldn't be presumptuous. If you're unwilling to fact-check before making statements, it isn't anybody else's problem if you don't know what's going on.

JSYK: there isn't any red tape involved with Abraham Lincoln, Tom Sawyer, The Cowardly Lion, or Henry Fleming. The only character from Code Name: STEAM with a copyright or trademark is Tiger Lily.

There's also a fundamental difference between telling you not to be flippant about posts you don't understand and being an elitist.
This argument is annoying people, so I'm not gonna bother responding after this, but telling someone not to be aggressive in the same statement you call them illiterate isn't really solid etiquette

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom