• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Everyone confirmed for having their mind in the gutter.

Seriously, what's with you people? I know that Marth is very pretty, heck, she's probably the most beautiful character on the roster! But sometime you need to distinguish fiction from reality and vice versa. This is Super Smash, a unique fighting game, not a visual novel. Although I wouldn't object to a visual novel adaptation...

I'm joking, I'm joking. :laugh:
I know you're not joking. You're probably making a visual novel that involves Marth and Roy holding hands.

YOU MONSTER.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Well, this is probably one of the better Chrom ideas I've seen (although I'm pretty sure Chrom can't learn Sol). The Rightful King/Aether (what exactly are you calling it?) idea is interesting, it fits with his character and would make him unique. I do have to wonder if such an ability would be overpowered, though. After all, Chrom only needs a bit of time to charge it up, and then he'll be healing himself constantly until he gets knocked out, which is prolonged by the fact that he's constantly healing himself. Aside from that, there's also the issue that Ike also uses Aether as a move, yet doesn't get all the benefits Chrom does from it. It strikes me as odd that the signature ability of one person is just a basic attack for them, but on another person, the same ability is an entirely unique and very powerful move.

Overall, I think it's probably the best looking Chrom move set I've seen so far, but I think it still has a few issues.

I still prefer Robin.
Technically he can't learn Sol, but he can learn Aether, which is Sol combined with Luna, so I figured it wasn't too much of a stretch.

Essentially, the charging time requires Chrom to do some spacing before the more is ready to go. As well, only combo strings of three or more attacks will trigger the healing effect, so not every hit will heal. Add in the fact that he's a fast-falling lightweight (relatively) and he gets KO'd really quickly if he doesn't get the healing going. Not to mention his relatively low reach. I think that'd hopefully help the idea be balanced, but I agree it's a thin line to cross.

As far as the other thing, it's only partially based on Aether, but moreso based on the fact that when the Falchion is Exalted, Chrom can heal himself with it without using Aether. That way I figure it makes sense if Chrom can heal himself while Ike wouldn't.

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
This is all I got for Chrom they're just ideas on his gameplay. :/ 'm not posting my moveset because it sucks.

I still would like some ideas on what fighting archetype Chrom could fit into (anything besides being the middle road between Marth and Ike: a jack-of-all-trades)... ho-hum... I like to visualize these things since I don't have that much Chrom knowledge.

Some one mentioned equipping the Shield of Seals in a moveset. Not sure if it could be tricky to implant in the context of Smash, though I'm sure it can be done right... Though I don't really know myself, here are some ideas:

- Have the shield work like Link's. Wherever the shield's static position is, it will have a hitbox. The shield will block most projectiles if hit. Perhaps Chrom can also block attacks when moving and in the air

- Have the ability to bring out the shield during any attack/combo/whatever without any lag to block incoming attacks. Don't know how that will turn out...

- Have the Shield of Seals literally be Chrom's Shield, similar to how Yoshi has his own special shield. Chrom will bring out the shield in front of him as it glows. The shield "bubble" will look more distinguished, and the shield itself will have higher defences, causing the shield to not shrink. This prevents shield stabbing/poking and the shield could also have a faster restore time. Perhaps Chrom won't get stunned when the shield happens to get shattered, but just being unable to shield until the normal duration of the stun time is over (a few seconds). Of course this needs to be balanced, though I'm really not fond of the idea of not being able to jump out of shielding...
I kinda like the idea of an anti-projectile character. Like what has already been said, Pit's a good example of one. Lots of reflectors... and I totally love how Wings of Icarus can cancel out a lot of projectiles. And wingdashing provides so much utility... I'm gonna cry if it doesn't return. Seriously, wingdashing is one of my fave techniques in Brawl. :/

Similar to PSI Magnet, a move could absorb projectiles, and once absorbed, some sort of effect happens. Chrom could be powered up in some way, maybe buffing his defence or offence... or something cuz I'm kinda bad when coming up with ideas like this. No joke. But anything so it will be different than PSI Magnet.

Having a move that could absorb and "store" projectiles is another idea. Maybe the move could be released at any time, and the more moves it adsorbed, the stronger the damage (having a cap of how many attacks it can store). Perhaps if Chrom is a stance-user, the released power would have a different added effect depending in the current stance.

In many fighting games, characters have teleports, multi-hit attacks, and other moves that can cancel and punish projectiles. Not really sure how teleporting would work in Smash though... but yeah, using some standard moves could be an easier way of canceling projectiles.

Evasion is another idea. Perhaps Chrom could have a charge/dash move, that allows him to pass throw projectiles, attacking opponents if in contact. Or some sort of special roll move... Anything that would make him a good fighter to punish projectile users.
Which is funny considering Little Mac has a move that functions similarly. Bleh, copycat. :glare: :laugh:

I like the Shield of Seals. It's a shame if we don't get to see it somehow.

I know you're not joking. You're probably making a visual novel that involves Marth and Roy holding hands.

YOU MONSTER.
OH SHI--

I've been found out! Quick, time to make like a tree and leave! *quickly vanishes*

Last edited:

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Technically he can't learn Sol, but he can learn Aether, which is Sol combined with Luna, so I figured it wasn't too much of a stretch.

Essentially, the charging time requires Chrom to do some spacing before the more is ready to go. As well, only combo strings of three or more attacks will trigger the healing effect, so not every hit will heal. Add in the fact that he's a fast-falling lightweight (relatively) and he gets KO'd really quickly if he doesn't get the healing going. Not to mention his relatively low reach. I think that'd hopefully help the idea be balanced, but I agree it's a thin line to cross.

As far as the other thing, it's only partially based on Aether, but moreso based on the fact that when the Falchion is Exalted, Chrom can heal himself with it without using Aether. That way I figure it makes sense if Chrom can heal himself while Ike wouldn't.
Fair enough, though you do already have Aether implemented into his move set, so I don't see why the move would be split in half for something like that.

Yes, you do take precautions to make the ability balanced. However, even if it does take time to charge up, and even if it only works with combos, being able to heal yourself while attacking until you get knocked out, especially on a juggler character like you made Chrom, seems a little extreme, even then. Also, I have to wonder, would Chrom really be a lightweight? I mean, he's a pretty bulky guy wearing armor and wielding a pretty big sword. I mean, if Ike can be a heavyweight just because of a big sword that he carries around, I imagine a big guy like Chrom would be pretty heavy as well.

You're right about the fact that Chrom can heal himself with the Exalted Falchion without needing to attack with Aether. However, the way you implemented it is by having Chrom attack with Aether. A more accurate way of implementing that ability would be to just have Chrom use a charge up move that healed a portion of his health. Here, you're still using Aether, so the Exalted Falchion's healing abilities don't really mean much.

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
Sounds like someone is rather passionate about this. Any particular reason for your extreme distaste for Robin?
Mostly due to someone on IGN constantly shoving Robin down our throats? I don't really hate Robin, just dislike the idea of Robin being playable when s/he can be AT instead for more FE representation.

Monkeymaner

Smash Cadet
middle of the dessert , on a horse with no name
NNID
Monkeymaner
Mostly due to someone on IGN constantly shoving Robin down our throats? I don't really hate Robin, just dislike the idea of Robin being playable when s/he can be AT instead for more FE representation.
I fully agree, the idea of robin is cool but we already have 1 (possibly 2 if mii's) avatar character I don't want them to go overboard so I would prefer somebody else from FE

Andinus

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kyonyuudaisuki
Last edited:

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
The Vaati propaganda is getting tiring, really. First in the RTC thread, and now here.

And since we're in Fire Emblem central, my prediction roster has Marth, Ike and Chrom (can be swapped for Roy, though.)

Oh, going back a few pages, Pokémon is new controversial topic, huh?

Also, I'm betting nobody is actually going to play as any of these Fire Emblem newcomers.
If by "nobody" you're referring to yourself, then maybe.

Brawl Ganondorf mains exist, for example.

Last edited:

Commander Claus

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
4382-1975-7034
There will never be a character people don't play. You can't just speak on behalf of the whole community LOL.

Pokemon will always be controversial topic to some extent I think.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Made this about ridley earlier in the ridley thread thought i would bring it to the character discussion as well

The Ridley for Super Smash Brothers for Wii U / 3DS Thread
This is part 1

The Ridley for Super Smash Brothers for Wii U / 3DS Thread
Thats part 2

So by this im sure ridley is one character that pretty much nobody will ever resist using atleast once

(I know this should stick with the ridley thread but i thought i should show this to the other people outside the ridley thread as well)

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I wish we could have just gotten Anna and called it a day.... :T

Eh, I hardly care very much with what they do with Fire Emblem anymore. They can just stick with Marth and Ike for all I care.... :T

Glyphoscythe

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Glyphoscythe
3DS FC
0834-0985-0680
Someone said something about the shield of seals, and it got me thinking about shields in general. Link should have a shield bash move. It could function as a way to interrupt your opponent's flow or some such. In Skyward Sword you can create an opening for attack if you shield bash just as the enemy swings at you. It could function in a similar vein as that. I don't know...I just want Link to inflict some blunt force trauma I guess.

That probably sounds too much like a counter type move though.

Gunla

It's my bit, you see.
Administrator
BRoomer
Writing Team
Not much to say about FE since Marth and Chrom is probably the likely case scenario for franchise.
For two characters, yes.
And at this point I'm starting to veer into that 2 slot zone.

Morbi

Scavenger
The Vaati propaganda is getting tiring, really. First in the RTC thread, and now here.

And since we're in Fire Emblem central, my prediction roster has Marth, Ike and Chrom (can be swapped for Roy, though.)

Why is Brawl Ganondorf relevant to people not wanting to play a Fire Emblem newcomer?

Personally, I'll main whichever FE:A character gets in.
That is my sister's mentality as well; she doesn't care who gets in, she will main them. She prefers Chrom because she loves him, but she wouldn't mind Robin at all. Other than that, she doesn't care if we get Donnel.

Last edited:

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Can I ask a stupid question?

Why doesn't Marth have the Shield of Seals (aka, the Fire Emblem) with him in Smash Bros.? Like, can it at least be a taunt or something?

Last edited:

MargnetMan23

Smash Lord

I love using Brawldorf, he's basically my troll character =D

and if Ganondorf gets a revamp... I swear... if they change his side B I'm going to... be EXTREMELY disappointed =P

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
You would be literally stuck to the ground if you were a tree.
Huh, you're right.

Looks like I'm going to spend my life grounded here... Oh woe is me, I hate being a tree!

Y'know those creatures I posted from the No. 1 Bass Fishing series? Well, I'm creating a moveset for them (well, it's just going to be one fighter I think) just for fun. The animal will use a fishing rod as the main weapon, having some unique long range grabbing moves. We need more characters that use fishing pole-like weapons. I mean, there's Big the Cat and Taigong Wang (which I'm drawing inspiration from. Crazy fishing techniques GO!), but I can't think of any others atm.

Cobalsh

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2578-3430-9913
Why is Brawl Ganondorf relevant to people not wanting to play a Fire Emblem newcomer?

That is my sister's mentality as well; she doesn't care who gets in, she will main them. She prefers Chrom because she loves him, but she wouldn't mind Robin at all. Other than that, she doesn't care if we get Donnel.
Characters widely disliked to the basic community still have mains, like you, for example.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Can I ask a stupid question?

Why doesn't Marth have the Shield of Seals (aka, the Fire Emblem) with him in Smash Bros.? Like, can it at least be a taunt or something?
But how can he do his hair when he has his hands full.

Not sure, I guess it would have been pretty neat to have him carry the Fire Emblem too....

Morbi

Scavenger
Characters widely disliked to the basic community still have mains, like you, for example.
This is the first time that I have heard of anyone disliking Ganondorf, the King of Darkness! I mean, he has a lot of negative aspects such as his status as a bottom tier character (which is only relevant to competitive) or his semi-clone status. But I didn't realize that the community actually disliked his character. I just thought they wanted him to be better. Now I am sad.

TeenGirlSquad

Smash Master
This is the first time that I have heard of anyone disliking Ganondorf, the King of Darkness! I mean, he has a lot of negative aspects such as his status as a bottom tier character (which is only relevant to competitive) or his semi-clone status. But I didn't realize that the community actually disliked his character. I just thought they wanted him to be better. Now I am sad.
I honestly dislike his design more than any of those things.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom