• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

God Robert's Cousin

Smash Hero
NNID
RepaignPalsims
3DS FC
4339-2483-2603
Characters have trophies.

Not that I'm defending that leak, just Rayman.
The only thing then is why would Sakurai ask Ubisoft for permission to make the trophy when they sent him the model just for this purpose? Wouldn't they, you know, use his Smash model for his trophy? Because that seems to be that way for the other characters this game, like using the Mega Man X model and using an identical Phosphora model.

Had he not mentioned that this model was imported from outside the Smash team, I think Rayman would have a chance at another role. Rayman's not gonna be playable, guys.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Yeah, it was a completely random disconfirmation, but it was a disconfirmation nonetheless.

On the bright side, his trophy could mean trophies for Layton, Bayonetta, and other Nintendo focused third-parties like, say, Cooking Mama.
Though I digress.

RadRedi

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, it was a completely random disconfirmation, but it was a disconfirmation nonetheless.

On the bright side, his trophy could mean trophies for Layton, Bayonetta, and other Nintendo focused third-parties like, say, Cooking Mama.
Though I digress.
Heaven forbid this game lack a Cooking Mama trophy. :chuckle:

epicgordan

Smash Ace
Did I not just say that I was defending Rayman?

I don't believe that leak for a second, why would Rayman be outright playable while Snake, a veteran, is DLC? It's fake.

Now Rayman as DLC? Hell yes.
Rayman was leaked? Who leaked it?

Okay, let me clarify a few things here:

1. I'm predicting only three cuts from the Brawl roster in Squirtle, Ivysaur, and Snake--the latter being potential DLC.
2. Rayman was added just because of the trophy reveal; Sakurai does love confusing us with potential candidates, after all.
3. Mewtwo is in by virtue of Sakurai's comment in his regards: "We are thinking about it."
4. Ridley's shadow was shown, plus trophy quiz theory.
5. Ghirahim is also trophy quiz theory. It could also be Impa, but Fi supports Ghirahim better.
6. The gematsu leaker gave Shulk the guarantee, and Monolith Soft seems unusually excited for Smash.
7. The Sneaky Spirit Enemy teases at a Rhythm Heaven character.
8. While not solid evidence of him being playable, the Kremlings seem to tease King K. Rool as playable.
9. While the gematsu leak says that Lucas is likely to be cut, it is very probable that both him and Ness return.
10.The Rayman vs. Snake bit can be summed up as such: Rayman fits Smash Brothers' aesthetics better, and we got his trophy as evidence in his favor. While his trophy reveal does help Snake's chances, there's still various issues working against him at the moment. Thus, why I'm saying he might be character DLC.

The roster I presented wasn't a leak; it was a prediction. It was just awkwardly sandwiched between two sets of comments about these recent leaks. But I still stand by that the Coro Coro one is currently the most reliable, even if the last time it happened, they didn't give us much information.

Was the Palutena leak true? It looks like it was, but I'm still not entirely sure.
Some guy in a random reaction video to Palutena's trailer off-handedly stated that he knew the guy that leaked the images, and the rest of the guys didn't bat an eye to it. I'll give you the link once I find it.

Last edited:

Con0rrrr

PPMD Kreygasm
NNID
Con0rrrr
3DS FC
4656-6340-0779
Alright here's my predicted roster. Went for likely/reality, not what I want (otherwise, K Rool would be over Dixie.

Yellow around the character means im not sure. This is Zelda rep and Bandanna Dee and the Unknown. I was tempted to make a 51 roster as that is what I think is happening, but 54 lines up with website (which still may not be good evidence for 54?)

Anyway, Captain Toad is there because he's the only character I'm sure we'll be getting as DLC. Others will come though

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
The only thing then is why would Sakurai ask Ubisoft for permission to make the trophy when they sent him the model just for this purpose? Wouldn't they, you know, use his Smash model for his trophy? Because that seems to be that way for the other characters this game, like using the Mega Man X model and using an identical Phosphora model.

Had he not mentioned that this model was imported from outside the Smash team, I think Rayman would have a chance at another role. Rayman's not gonna be playable, guys.
We don't know when this exchange actually happened, you guys seem to think that they just sent it to him the day before he made the post and he just decided then and there to add the trophy and randomly tell us all about it.

There are a multitude of scenarios that could have happened:

A: Rayman was planned from the start and Sakurai was just mentioning how, when he asked for references as he was making the character, Ancel sent him a complete model, much to his surprise.

I don't believe this one, but it is a possibility.

B: UbiSoft asked for Rayman to be included but it was too late in development, Sakurai agreed to the possibility of adding Rayman as DLC and asked for references in advance, so an entire model was sent.

This is what I believe may have happened.

C: UbiSoft asked for Rayman to be included but Sakurai only agreed to a trophy, UbiSoft agreed and sent the model.

No idea why this would happen.

In any of case, if Rayman isn't a character, it's entirely possible for him to be DLC, and the trophy helps immensely.

Swift Fox

Smash Lord
Here's my dream roster but, I'll call it a prediction roster so we're on-topic.

It's a WIP btw, I'll add 4 more slots if the actual roster surpasses 50+

Order:
1st row: Mario, Luigi, Princess Peach, Bowser, Toad, Wario, Yoshi, Kamek, Little Mac, Sonic, Mega Man, Pac Man, Yoshimitsu
2nd row: Link, Princess Zelda, Impa, Ganondorf, Skull Kid, Samus Aran, Ridley, Anthony Higgs, Kirby, King Dedede, Meta Knight, Marx, ROB
3rd row: Fox McCloud, Wolf O'Donnell, Donkey Kong, Diddy Kong, King K. Rool, Marth, Ike, Chrom, Aversa, Pit, Palutena, Hades, Alexandra Roivas
4th row: Pikachu, Jigglypuff, Mewtwo, Feraligatr, Charizard, Ness, Masked Man, Captain Falcon, Captain Olimar, Mr. Game & Watch, Tom Nook and Aged Snake

Rationale on newcomers:
Toad: I feel is more relevant than Rosalina
Kamek: Another Yoshi rep, spellcasting.
Yoshimitsu: Represents 2 franchises for Namco, very awesome personality too.
Impa: Represents more females and Hyrule Warriors, long history with LoZ too since NES.
Skull Kid: Represents the second LoZ N64 villain next to Ganondorf, also a spellcaster to make it more fun. Cool personality too.
Ridley: No explanation needed.
Anthony Higgs: I thought Metroid was underrepresented and he seemed fit cause the Other M theme they have, he's also got moveset potential to be heavy artillery.
Marx: A TRUE Kirby villain, also represents Superstar Saga.
King K. Rool: No explanation needed.
Chrom: Main protagonist of Awakening, I don't like Avatar characters so I decided not on Robin.
Aversa: Female antagonist of Awakening, also a spellcaster. Also... waifu.
Hades: KI villain rep
Alexandra Roivas: Well, this one is interesting. I loved Eternal Darkness and I thought this game needed a horror rep, also a female.
Feraligatr: I like him more than Greninja, just a bias.
Masked Man: Villain and another rep for Mother.
Tom Nook: Decided against villager cause again... I hate avatar/customizable characters (no depth imo)

Why I cut a lot of characters:
Most of them that I cut were clones.

Others I thought didn't add much depth cause they're ambiguous avatar characters (Robin, Mii, Wii Fit Trainer and Villager)
It is your dream roster and yet call it a prediction roster even though not all confirmed characters are in? You can't be serious. It isn't even a prediction roster and it is off-topic no matter what you think.

xXIke-SamaXx

Smash Lord
NNID
Azureflame92

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
It's his 2nd most used weapon.
And his Figma has both it and the Silver Bow as weapons for him to hold (while Pit just gets the Palutena Bow).
Why I bring up his Figma is because Sakurai has it, and made this pic quite a while back:

....with him using it.
This means if Dark Pit is playable in Smash, he's using the Dark Pit Staff somewhere (even if it's just for a Special attack or two).
Unless Sakurai and his team go the lazy way and make a quick clone character. It's a shame and I'm sure Dark Pit supporters would want to see his other weapons, but it's sadly possible.
So I guess no one wants to talk about Bandana Dee's chances....like always. :(
I'm thinking he has a decent chance to be playable. He's the only other Kirby character that I can see making playable status. Which I would look forward to.
I don't understand why if we're getting a Kid Icarus clone, it's Dark Pit when the superior choice is clearly Medusa.

- Appears in all games in the series
- Visually diverse from her base (Palutena)
- Freaking cool evil snake lady
- Did I mention she is a freaking cool evil snake lady?
She was my most wanted Kid Icarus rep. So much potential. :ohwell:
It would be cool if she can turn her enemies into stone for a short time(kind of like a frozen affect.)

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/633202-super-smash-bros-for-wii-u/69440637

Guys this thing is quite eerie!

you need to read it...someone actually did correct the Gematsu leak, and they are right about Lucina in everything, I have a feeling it's someone from the Treehouse...It was on the day of E3 or something...something for the Gematsu believers to grab on!
The guy is actually a supposed troll and said that there would be a playable boss mode using the Wii U gamepad.

That contradicts what Sakurai said.

Also, Mewtwo as a boss would make people riot.

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319
Alright here's my predicted roster. Went for likely/reality, not what I want (otherwise, K Rool would be over Dixie.

Yellow around the character means im not sure. This is Zelda rep and Bandanna Dee and the Unknown. I was tempted to make a 51 roster as that is what I think is happening, but 54 lines up with website (which still may not be good evidence for 54?)

Anyway, Captain Toad is there because he's the only character I'm sure we'll be getting as DLC. Others will come though

I agree with the roster completely.

My version is slightly different, but all I want is the Dee so I don't care who else gets added or not.

Last edited:

xXIke-SamaXx

Smash Lord
NNID
Azureflame92
The guy is actually a supposed troll and said that there would be a playable boss mode using the Wii U gamepad.

That contradicts what Sakurai said.

Also, Mewtwo as a boss would make people riot.
It's not that I don't believe you, I'm someone who's interested in reading rumours wither fake or true xD, so would you mind giving me the source of his other supposed "leaks" ?

epicgordan

Smash Ace

I think we all came to the conclusion that Captain Toad is a near guarantee DLC character. I don't see Bandana Dee being playable happening at least for the time being; maybe as character DLC, but there's really nothing suggesting that he might be playable. I'm going out on a limb here and saying that Sakurai has planted hints towards almost all of his remaining newcomers. Because of this, I believe we are going to get Ghirahim (Trophy Quiz) and Dark Pit (Palutena trailer; possibly a Secret character explaining his lack of a banner; and now we know that there could be newcomer trophies) as well as possibly King K. Rool (the Kremlings). Dixie Kong could still happen, and if so, then it's pretty much the only way we are getting a newcomer trailer dedicated to the Donkey Kong franchise (Dixie and K. Rool).

In regards to these hints, Shulk appears to be he lone odd duck since we have yet to receive any official confirmation on the Mechon trophy; however, given just how, um...excited Monolith Soft appears to be for Smash 4, I do think it's a safe bet that they practically gave him away last weekend. Besides, the Gematsu leaker gave the guarantee to Shulk, so his credibility is pretty much all riding on his status as a playable character.

But, assuming that we are only getting one Donkey Kong representative (either King K. Rool or Dixie Kong), that just leaves us with that questionmark, huh? One theory could be yet another 3rd party rep like Rayman due to the trophy, or even the return of Solid Snake. Another possibility could be a retro character as Sakurai is still looking for a character who is strictly a retro character. Some people say Takamaru, others say Excitebiker/Mach Rider. But here's a crazy theory; during one of the screenshots advertising the amiibos, we were given a bunch of characters in these bubbles that mostly include characters that are to be the in game, with even a couple who have yet been disconfirmed (Mr. Game & Watch and Lucina were both shown in that screenshot). The only characters left on there that have been disconfirmed playable were Annabelle (Animal Crossing), and Toad (part of Peach's moves), and in both cases, they are technically still in the game. The odd duck in that group, however, is an 8-bit Mario from the first Super Mario Brothers game on NES. So, what if this is to hint at 8-bit Mario being playable? Just an outlandish theory that I have; don't pay it any mind if you find that highly unlikely.

But who could character 55 be, then? It'd sure help a ton if we knew a little bit more.

ElPanandero

Smash Lord
NNID
ElPanandero
Anyone now what kind of character modificaion software is available on the WiiU? If clones are in, I can see some sweet modification possibilities for the creative types out there while still retaining the essence of the character with the original base character. (Ie someone making a unique lucina while still having marth's moveset attached to marth)

Morbi

Scavenger
Is Captain Toad really the only potential DLC character you guys can come up with?

:|
Sceptile was thrown around a lot. Other than that, it is difficult as to which characters to speculate in favor of. Unique newcomers from recent series, perhaps Krystal around the release of the new Star Fox? However, others believe that clone characters or characters that missed their opportunity will make an appearance.

... such as Dr. Mario. :denzel:

ElPanandero

Smash Lord
NNID
ElPanandero
Other fun idea, what if instead of just characters one by one, the release bigger themed packs of characters/alt costumes, simple things like a retro alt (gives characters alts inspired by their first appearance in a game [who doesn't wanna see goofy original pit]), or a villain pack with some combination of characters like (assuming none get in on their own merit) KRool, Mewtwo, Ghiriam/Vaati, Black Knight (my idea my bias :laugh:). This is way DLC feels like an expansion not just single character plugs trickling in.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
In response to the Rayman discussion earlier:

"In order to make Rayman's trophy, we asked Ubisoft to share their references."

"In order to make Rayman's trophy."

It was specifically stated in the caption of the pic that they had asked for Ubisoft's input for a trophy.

You can make the argument that Rayman might be planned DLC, but even in that case this just seems like a way too upfront and direct way to tease a character, even by Sakurai's highly unpredictable standards. I can't say that latter part for certain though, but given all this I don't think Rayman's gonna be playable, or at the very least not planned to be at the moment.

Again, I can't say for certain that this isn't a potential tease, but IMO it just seems like an incredibly odd way to handle it. Just don't get your hopes too high up guys.

Last edited:

Con0rrrr

PPMD Kreygasm
NNID
Con0rrrr
3DS FC
4656-6340-0779
I still hope that the Inklings will get in as DLC as a way for Nintendo to promote Splatoon.
I'd love to see them, but I feel stage or trophy is better at this point in time. Roster is saved for Nintendo's all stars, and for a series as new as Splatoon, not even out when Smash releases, they haven't become a Nintendo All Star series yet.

Morbi

Scavenger

It was specifically stated in the caption of the pic that they had asked for Ubisoft's input for a trophy.

You can make the argument that Rayman might be planned DLC, but even in that case this just seems like a way too upfront and direct way to tease a character, even by Sakurai's highly unpredictable standards. I can't say that latter part for certain though, but given all this I don't think Rayman's gonna be playable, or at the very least not planned to be at the moment.

Again, I can't say for certain that this isn't a potential tease, but IMO it just seems like an incredibly odd way to handle it. Just don't get your hopes too high up guys.
I am not insinuating that Rayman is a playable character, but the PoTD was a Rayman trophy, so it does not have any feasible correlation with the alleged playable Rayman as it was just a trophy.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux

Take another look at that wording.

"Rayman's trophy."

Rather than "In order to make a trophy of Rayman."

Not saying anything, but it could be implying something.

Just because he specifically pointed out the trophy doesn't mean anything, as I've said before, playable characters have trophies. As someone else mentioned, Phosphora was specifically mentioned as a trophy, yet appears to be an assist.

God Robert's Cousin

Smash Hero
NNID
RepaignPalsims
3DS FC
4339-2483-2603
@ JamesDNaux JamesDNaux
Don't forget that this was the work of Sakurai's translator, not the man himself. Wording such as that doesn't necessarily imply anything, considering how "Rayman no Torofi" could just as easily translate to "Rayman's Trophy" as it could "The Rayman Trophy".

Plus, it'd be unprecedented for a character to have their trophy shown before their own reveal. This is in addition to how, if Rayman had Classic and All-Star trophies, he'd have his in-game model posing for them, as we've seen from the multiple Wii Fit Trainer trophies during the Smash 3DS portion a while back. It literally makes no sense for Rayman to be the sole character to have such trophies as a different model from their in-game model.

I think people are looking too deeply into this. We may as well say Wonder Red, Saria, Big Mac, and Brittany all stand a chance at being playable too, considering we've only seen their trophies thus far.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
@ JamesDNaux JamesDNaux
Don't forget that this was the work of Sakurai's translator, not the man himself. Wording such as that doesn't necessarily imply anything, considering how "Rayman no Torofi" could just as easily translate to "Rayman's Trophy" as it could "The Rayman Trophy".

Plus, it'd be unprecedented for a character to have their trophy shown before their own reveal. This is in addition to how, if Rayman had Classic and All-Star trophies, he'd have his in-game model posing for them, as we've seen from the multiple Wii Fit Trainer trophies during the Smash 3DS portion a while back. It literally makes no sense for Rayman to be the sole character to have such trophies as a different model from their in-game model.

I think people are looking too deeply into this. We may as well say Wonder Red, Saria, Big Mac, and Brittany all stand a chance at being playable too, considering we've only seen their trophies thus far.
I don't believe Rayman is playable.

I'm just sick of Rayman detractors, so many people are outright hating on my second favorite character of all time.

The trophy gives me high hopes for him to be a downloadable character added after the games are released, it doesn't make me think that he's already in the game. People are taking what I say to mean something different than what it is.

God Robert's Cousin

Smash Hero
NNID
RepaignPalsims
3DS FC
4339-2483-2603
I don't believe Rayman is playable.

I'm just sick of Rayman detractors, so many people are outright hating on my second favorite character of all time.

The trophy gives me high hopes for him to be a downloadable character added after the games are released, it doesn't make me think that he's already in the game. People are taking what I say to mean something different than what it is.
DLC definitely seems possible, that's for sure. I was just speaking more towards the retractors (is that a word?) that think this trophy confirms Rayman in the base game. We're both speaking towards the well-intentioned extremists of each other's sides, it seems. At least that means we're not really in disagreement!

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
I still think it would be incredibly bizarre to tease a character this directly, even as planned DLC.

Still... as I said before, I admit that I can't be certain of this myself, it's just how I personally feel about the matter.

Last edited:

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
DLC definitely seems possible, that's for sure. I was just speaking more towards the retractors (is that a word?) that think this trophy confirms Rayman in the base game. We're both speaking towards the well-intentioned extremists of each other's sides, it seems. At least that means we're not really in disagreement!
Well I'm just glad you're not a Rayman hater.

I surely don't think he's playable, but I won't deny that this kind of thing is far from beneath Sakurai's trolling.

But when I saw that trophy, while most people would become depressed that their most wanted character just got deconfirmed, I cried. Tears of joy. I could only imagine in my wildest dreams that Rayman would ever be in Smash in any form whatsoever, but seeing just a trophy has opened up the possibility and I'm happier than I could ever be at this point. Now I know that Rayman is here, he's here, and there's a chance for DLC this time, with that... Rayman has all the support of every character I want, added together and multiplied tenfold. I'm still waiting to get the go ahead to make a thread in the DLC group, he needs to get support.

ShrekItRalph

Smash Ace
The smasher comes from the bottom of the arena
I'd love to see them, but I feel stage or trophy is better at this point in time. Roster is saved for Nintendo's all stars, and for a series as new as Splatoon, not even out when Smash releases, they haven't become a Nintendo All Star series yet.
Honestly, that's why I want them to be in Smash Bros, it's like the best way to become a Nintendo all-star and I hope that Splatoon isn't a franchise that fades away into obscurity. Just look at Captain Falcon, he went from no one to one of Nintendo's most popular characters because of Smashbros. That and the Inklings look like they could have a very fun and unique moveset if handled right.

Jiggly

Drop the mic, cause these fools sleeping on me
The FBI Surveillance Van outside your house.
NNID
Jiggly101
My smash roster predictions:
~ The holy Nintendo trio (Mario, Zelda, pokemon) will each have 6 characters.
~ Pokemon will have Jiggly and either mewtwo or Sceptile come back
~ Mario will get bowser jr or Paper mario (I hate paper Mario to no end, but I feel like it has a chance)
~ Zelda will get ganondorf back, and prob Girahim will join the fray
~ Kirby Is getting a newcomer. Sakurai's first ever project was creating Kirby, wynaut have 4 reps? Who will be the last rep? Bandana Dee
~ Shulk isn't gonna make it
~ Rhythm heavan gets a rep
~ Isaac doesn't make it
~ Bayonetta Makes it
~ hades from Kid Icarus will be in, due to Kid Icarus being Sakurai's creation, and hades was the main villan. I'm sure KI deserves 3 reps.
~ Wario is back, no one to join him
~ King K Rool or Dixie make it in. I'm sure one will be in, but not both.
~ Birthday Suit Samus as Costume
~ Smash Rated M
~ Smash Fanfiction Explodes

Thoughts?

Last edited:

mark welford

Smash Ace
I still hope that the Inklings will get in as DLC as a way for Nintendo to promote Splatoon.
no just no too new of a series and it has to pick up that popularity first to even be considered for smash I know there are people out there who would like to see that because of their weird fetishes

Jiggly

Drop the mic, cause these fools sleeping on me
The FBI Surveillance Van outside your house.
NNID
Jiggly101
no just no too new of a series and it has to pick up that popularity first to even be considered for smash I know there are people out there who would like to see that because of their weird fetishes
Greninja was picked before the public knew about it. Popularity wasn't involved, and it was new. Splatoon soldier could be a great and very interesting character. And seriously, why would tentacle lovers resort to smash as their outlet? I'm sorry, but it seems that many of your points are invalid...

G0LD3N L0TUS

Smash Lord
NNID
G0LD3N_L0TUS
3DS FC
3007-8158-6601
Greninja was picked before the public knew about it. Popularity wasn't involved, and it was new. Splatoon soldier could be a great and very interesting character. And seriously, why would tentacle lovers resort to smash as their outlet? I'm sorry, but it seems that many of your points are invalid...
People could easily think that the Splatoon Soldier got in the way of misc. that may not have gotten in like Isaac or Saki. So, I think it'd be less realistic to do that with misc. than with Pokemon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom