• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

ElPanandero

Smash Lord
NNID
ElPanandero
Well it seems some people seems to interprete Palutena's 12 specials as favouritism I have to disagree with that notion it is just that people tent to forget about characters status and only see movesets, Palutena is a goddess if you go and read about gods in different cultures and religions, most of the gods are beings beyond human imagination, with a pletora of powers and abilities no mortal being can do, obviously Sakurai isn't going to represent Palutena as an omnipotent unbeatable character, because that would be unbalanced for the game, yet putting her 12 specials is a way to still represent that side of Palutena as a goddess, I have said this in other places before but "powers" are known as "miracles" in the japanise version and are even called that way in the very first trailer for the international release.

I still laugh at the counter arguments some people gave to make her unlikely, some of my personal favorites:

"Pit needs Palutena to guide him and give him the power of flight, because of that she can't fight"
"Palutena is a goddess if she joins she would be overpowered" And just in case someone tries to imply this, please the game isn't even out and Palutena hasn't been in any demo, so calling her overpowered because of a trailer designed to make her look strong lacks any credibility.

Now jumping on this veteran list I would say.

1.- :4yoshi: Favorite character since Yoshi's Island SNES, that game was epic also my main in Melee and Brawl, I was 100% sure he will return this time around so I haven't even shown my face on the Yoshi thread
2.- :4kirby: Main in 64 and 2nd in both Melee and Brawl, I don't care about tiers list I have managed to bet worthy oponents with both Yoshi and Kirby.

3.- Mmmmm every other veteran already confirmed yes I like every character, hope more people could really apreciate any character they get

Still to appear
1.- :popo:
2.-:metaknight:
3.-:ganondorf:
4.-:ness2:
5.-:jigglypuff:
That's a dumb argument. She should not get special treatment because of what her source material says she is.

Burigu

Smash Ace
That's a dumb argument. She should not get special treatment because of what her source material says she is.
Well if you are blind enough to see every character draws from their source material then go ahead, maybe it's favoritism but it is justificable and it has a reason behind the mechanic and not only because Sakurai saw her and decided that, she is still a goddess and for that alone the mechanic is justificable, like it or not and I would sugest you to NOT call arguments DUMB I don't recall calling yours that and I expect my opinion to be respected, you can argue with people without putting negative adjetives, that doesn't make your argument counter mine neither makes you look cooler.

"Oh look Robin use NOSFERATU he can't in the game" Sakurai favoritism!!
"What? Little Mac got an KO move" Sakurai favoritism!!
"Kirby has super armor when in stone move" Sakurai favoritism!!
"Wario got to different outfits in Brawl" Sakurai favoritism!!
"2 Fire Emblem newcomers" Sakurai favoritism!!

You can find "evidence" of favoritism in almost anything if you look good enough

ElPanandero

Smash Lord
NNID
ElPanandero
Well if you are blind enough to see every character draws from their source material then go ahead, maybe it's favoritism but it is justificable and it has a reason behind the mechanic and not only because Sakurai saw her and decided that, she is still a goddess and for that alone the mechanic is justificable, like it or not and I would sugest you to NOT call arguments DUMB I don't recall calling yours that and I expect my opinion to be respected, you can argue with people without putting negative adjetives, that doesn't make your argument counter mine neither makes you look cooler.

"Oh look Robin use NOSFERATU he can't in the game" Sakurai favoritism!!
"What? Little Mac got an KO move" Sakurai favoritism!!
"Kirby has super armor when in stone move" Sakurai favoritism!!
"Wario got to different outfits in Brawl" Sakurai favoritism!!
"2 Fire Emblem newcomers" Sakurai favoritism!!

You can find "evidence" of favoritism in almost anything if you look good enough
Those are different than "let's use extra development time to give this one character that happens to me my creation 3 times as many moves as everyone else" none of the things you described are comparable at all. Ganondorf can only be killed by the master sword, so he should probably have that in smash too. Olimar is the size of a penny, that should be in smash. The source material argument is stupid illogical because every other character is treated as an equal despite their source material saying otherwise.

Burruni

Smash Hero
For newcomers, I'm most excited for a Rhythm Heaven Rep or Bandanna Dee.

For Veterans... :039: My :warioc:Three :ganondorf:Mains.

Seriously, I'm getting a little hysterical over the fact that NONE of my three mains have been confirmed.

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
Are we talking about favorite to least favorite? Well...

:4greninja: - Greninja was actually decent back in Smash Demo at Best Buy. Love his playstyle and want to main him at least.

:4lucina: - Marth main and one of my most wanted. Marked the **** out when she was revealed

:4littlemac: - I was so happy to see Little Mac got promoted from AT. His playstyle looks interesting being a heavy hitter on ground and weak in the air. He will actually be used quite often and I'm curious to see how he will go

:4megaman: - MEGAMAN CONFIRMED! Interesting playstyle with mid range game and would love to try him out

:rosalina: - Rosalina provides an interesting playstyle being puppet master and would love to give her a shot.

:4mii: - Before Miis were revealed, I didn't want them in. It wasn't until they showed us the customization where it blew me away and was quite impressed with the Miis. Not high on my list, but not as bad. TOMMY FROM POWER RANGER CONFIRMED FOR OVERRATED MII

:4palutena: - Never played KI, but happy to see her in. Her moveset just looks weird and can't really say anything about it.

:4wiifit: - Hilarious character to add, hilarious moveset. What more can you ask for from a master troll like Sakurai? Love the yoga style attacks and willing to give her a shot

:4pacman: - Not as hyped to see Pacman in, but it was quite refreshing to get a retro. Will give him a shot.

:4villager: - Interesting playstyle, but I have a gut feeling I won't use this guy as much. Could change after the game's out

:4robinm: - Always found Robin overrated and never really a fan of this character. Quite pissed when I found out Robin's in but I have a punching bag, so there's something. Plus having two Fire Emblem newcomers was a bit overkill

Sue me :p

Most wanted veteran?

:wolf: :mewtwopm::lucas::popo::falco: for top five

Most wanted newcomer? I'd like to see Dixie make it followed by Isaac

Burigu

Smash Ace
Those are different than "let's use extra development time to give this one character that happens to me my creation 3 times as many moves as everyone else" none of the things you described are comparable at all. Ganondorf can only be killed by the master sword, so he should probably have that in smash too. Olimar is the size of a penny, that should be in smash. The source material argument is stupid illogical because every other character is treated as an equal despite their source material saying otherwise.
Funny how you forget how I said Sakurai would NOT make Palutena broken just because she is a goddess, ONE THING IS to draw INSPIRATION AT THE SOURCE MATERIAL and another follow the canon by word which guess what I NEVER SAID THAT.

Last I knew every character has 12 moves, so try again putting the variations of all characters is the same time consuming AND it's not like Sakurai had to thick from zero her special, he already had a reliable source.

Finally last I knew Palutena was NOT created by Sakurai.

But since you insist in using words as STUPID or DUMB to try to make you argument valid, I won't take you seriously, you only make it like I said "make Smash canon with the series" which I never did so when you have actual fact that I said and you aren't using negative adjetives you can try again, if you find my opinion that annoying go ahead and ignore it.

But I wouldn't call my argument stupid since your answer has more mistakes than anything I actually said :awesome:

Last edited:

Pizzanigs

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Pizzanigs
Just gonna throw out my most wanted veterans and newcomers:

Vets: :mewtwopm::gw::rob::ganondorf::wolf::ness2::lucas: (I know, I have a lot.)
Newcomers: King K. Rool has always been my most wanted newcomer. I've also wanted others like Little Mac and Palutena, but I obviously don't have to worry about that anymore.

ElPanandero

Smash Lord
NNID
ElPanandero
Funny how you forget how I said Sakurai would NOT make Palutena broken just because she is a goddess, ONE THING IS to draw INSPIRATION AT THE SOURCE MATERIAL and another follow the canon by word which guess what I NEVER SAID THAT.

Last I knew every character has 12 moves, so try again putting the variations of all characters is the same time consuming AND it's not like Sakurai had to thick from zero her special, he already had a reliable source.

Finally last I knew Palutena was NOT created by Sakurai.

But since you insist in using words as STUPID or DUMB to try to make you argument valid, I won't take you seriously, you only make it like I said "make Smash canon with the series" which I never did so when you have actual fact that I said and you aren't using negative adjetives, if you find my opinion that annoying go ahead and ignore it.

But I wouldn't call my argument stupid since your answer has more mistakes than anything I actually said
Platuena has been given more than 12 moves, because so far she is the only character revealed that has been stated to have customizable standards, as far as I know. That makes her, as of now, a character who received special priority. Drawing inspiration from source material for moves isn't my problem, it's giving a character more than 12 moves because he can. Ganon has appeared in so many forms, Mario has a dearth of untapped source material you could make 5 movesets out of, All of the pokemon can learn like 30 moves each. I don't know how to phrase what you consider this since canon offended you, but whatever it is, Plateuna is the only one receiving special attention to our knowledge and that is, be definition, favoritism.

And I thought Sakurai was the creator of Kid Icarus, I misunderstood some posts people have made apparently. So now instead of creator bias, it's just general favoritism. Which is still bad.

saggernaut724

Smash Rookie
NNID
sagwinsl
3DS FC
4785-6664-3260
For newcomers, I'm most excited for a Rhythm Heaven Rep or Bandanna Dee.

For Veterans... :039: My :warioc:Three :ganondorf:Mains.

Seriously, I'm getting a little hysterical over the fact that NONE of my three mains have been confirmed.
SSB4 was listed in the Wario section on the 3DS e shop. Not confirmation, but it might be something.

AncientTobacco

Smash Lord
Platuena has been given more than 12 moves, because so far she is the only character revealed that has been stated to have customizable standards, as far as I know. That makes her, as of now, a character who received special priority. Drawing inspiration from source material for moves isn't my problem, it's giving a character more than 12 moves because he can. Ganon has appeared in so many forms, Mario has a dearth of untapped source material you could make 5 movesets out of, All of the pokemon can learn like 30 moves each. I don't know how to phrase what you consider this since canon offended you, but whatever it is, Plateuna is the only one receiving special attention to our knowledge and that is, be definition, favoritism.

And I thought Sakurai was the creator of Kid Icarus, I misunderstood some posts people have made apparently. So now instead of creator bias, it's just general favoritism. Which is still bad.
Palutena does not have customizable standards.

Second Power

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0774-5502-4430
Favorite newcomers, now in tiers because I'ma hipster.

A Tier
:4robinf::4lucina::4littlemac:
Fire Emblem fanatic, if you can't tell. While Awakening isn't my favorite game, Lucina is awesome and Robin shows off more of the series. Never played Punch Out but Little Mac is cool, seems to have an interesting playstyle.

B Tier
:4greninja::4megaman::4palutena:
Greninja was a good choice for 6th gen rep and seems like a Squirtle successor, so I'll probably try him out at some point. I haven't played the original Megaman series, but I did play Zero's sub series. I thought Palutena would be my favorite newcomer but I don't like how she transitioned to 3D. If her model isn't final, she could leap to A Tier.

C Tier
:4mii::rosalina::4villager::4pacman::4wiifit:
Don't really care much for anyone in this tier. I generally don't lean towards 'zany' characters. I'll experiment with Mii Fighters a bit, but beyond that, I don't think anyone here will get more than a passing glance.

Most wanted veterans
:ivysaur::wolf::ness2::metaknight::popo:

Last edited:

ElPanandero

Smash Lord
NNID
ElPanandero
Last edited:

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
Well I come back to see how things are going only to find out that Takamaru commited Sudoku. Lovely.
Just after I think speculation is safe to come back to after Gematsu blows up, this happens.
I can only sit in a corner and hope King K. Rool and Ridley aren't bosses...

So, veteran and newcomer shlick?

Newcomer ratings:
:4pacman: Out of the five characters I actually wanted, Pac-Man is the only one. And he was number six.
:4robinf: 30% of my like for this character is because of this character. 70% because s/he killed Chrom.
:4palutena: Decent enough addition, better than the rest.
:4villager: A character I predicted but didn't particularly want, still a wonderful addition.
:4megaman: Good addition, though I'm not Mega Man crazy like everyone else.
:4littlemac: People wanted him, fair enough.
:rosalina: People wanted her, still kind of meh.
:4mii: Get out.
:4greninja: I don't even care about Mewtwo, I just don't like this addition. Love Greninja though.
:4wiifit: Sakurai.
:4lucina: Oh well.

Most wanted veterans:
:snake:Snake? :snake:SNAKE. :snake:SNAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAKE!
:ganondorf: Can I stop being a clone yet?
:ness2: One of my main three in each Smash, he needs to join the good Captain in HD.
-
:pt: Transformations may be gone, but why not make him a summoner? Come on, DLC.

Burruni

Smash Hero
SSB4 was listed in the Wario section on the 3DS e shop. Not confirmation, but it might be something.
I know about this soft confirmation, just like Mr. G&W's in the Pac-Man trailer. But until I see that fat gut jiggling in gloriously in HD from a POTD I will have my hectic mind as it is.

Burigu

Smash Ace

More than 12 specials? she has 12 like any character and please inform yourself SHE DOESN'T HAVE CUSTOMISABLE STANDARDS

I never said others can't have that I said it makes sense to give that to Palutena since she is a goddess and nothing more, and considered how some people don't even like the concept, the variations are way cooler in MANY people eyes, don't believe me? ask them

The only one with custom specials? you are wrong again fan favorite avatars: :4mii: all these have that.

• So neither is she reciving more than 12 specials
  • Neither she is receiving custom Standards
  • Neither she is the only one with that mechanic
  • And as far as some people this mechanic actually hurts her.
AND CANON doesn't offend when did I said that? so apparently saying drawing inspiration from the canon = canon offends me (when you were the one who went over the top impliying I was saying smash must follow canon word by word which I never) you are funny, what offended me is your use of dumd and stupid or any other word on those lines you might know, to make your argument more solid, but look around you are the one making the mistakes here, not me.

Last edited:

ElPanandero

Smash Lord
NNID
ElPanandero
More than 12 specials? now you are being funny, she has 12 like any character and please inform yourself SHE DOESN'T HAVE CUSTOMISABLE STANDARDS

I never said others can't have that I said it makes sense to give that to Palutena since she is a goddess and nothing more, and considered how some people don't even like the concept, the variations are way cooler in MANY people eyes, don't believe me? ask them

The only one with custom specials? you are wrong again fan favorite avatars: :4mii: all these have that.

• So neither is she reciving more than 12 specials
  • Neither she is receiving custom Standards
  • Neither she is the only one with that mechanic
  • And as far as some people this mechanic actually hurts her.
AND CANON doesn't offend when did I said that? so apparently saying drawing inspiration from the canon = canon offends me (when you were the one who went over the top impliying I was saying smash must follow canon word by word which I never) you are funny, what offended me is your use of dumd and stupid or any other word on those lines you might know, to make your argument more solid, but look around you are the one making the mistakes here, not me.
I admitted the standards was a mistake, but that's because I was recalling her 12 specials incorrectly. The mii's are a special circumstance because they are smash's equivalent of "create-a-fighter'. Everyone else has 4 specials with tweaks, one is a create a fighter, and one is platenua who's justification is that she's a goddess? If all your arguing is that its the reason Sakurai chose to do it, then fine, you're right Sakurai made the dumb decision and played favorites. If you're arguing that its a fair move because you like the character think being a goddess makes Platenua better than the other fighters from a devleopmental standpoint, thats where I have a problem. There's no conceivable way that creating 8 extra moves for only one character (sans the create a fighter) is fair to the other characters in any way.

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
If Lylat Cruise from Brawl were to return as a stage do you think that would mean both Falco and Wolf are most likely back? I ask because it would be weird to bring back the stage with one of the characters cut making it so you are only able to activate some and not all of the possible secret conversations that were available on that stage in Brawl. I just can't see them doing that.

WishOn

Smash Cadet
NNID
WishOn
3DS FC
4828-5426-2919
Most wanted veteran: :pichumelee:

Sakurai pls. It's all I want. This small electric mouse has been neglected in Smash for TOO LONG. Pichu WILL rise again.

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
I admitted the standards was a mistake, but that's because I was recalling her 12 specials incorrectly. The mii's are a special circumstance because they are smash's equivalent of "create-a-fighter'. Everyone else has 4 specials with tweaks, one is a create a fighter, and one is platenua who's justification is that she's a goddess? If all your arguing is that its the reason Sakurai chose to do it, then fine, you're right Sakurai made the dumb decision and played favorites. If you're arguing that its a fair move because you like the character think being a goddess makes Platenua better than the other fighters from a devleopmental standpoint, thats where I have a problem. There's no conceivable way that creating 8 extra moves for only one character (sans the create a fighter) is fair to the other characters in any way.
Maybe because Sakurai saw the potential in Palutena to have different moves? Just doing a few moves for her he thought would be an injustice to her character. And can you actually spell her name correctly if you're gonna bash the character?

You're saying that the Miis are a special case because they're "create-a-fighter"... that's the special case? If anything, Sakurai is showing the bias to Miis with the amount of attention they're getting, amount of development (3 characters?), and 36 different customized moves. That's crazy. Palutena having customizable, unique moves is not crazy.

Burigu

Smash Ace
So in other words.
First you were saying Palutena is favorited because she is the only character with 12 special, then I point you the Mii fighters, and out of no where you arbitrarely dismiss them under the "create a fighter" banner, it amaze me how you go to such problems to make your "Palutena is the only one" original argument valid again. But guess what? avatars or not they are still characters. Go check the official page Mii fighters are under the "Characters" section and not in the "create a fighter section".

In all my discution with you I never manifested my bias for the character, pointing out a character status is far from that, so no I don't think Palutena is better than anyone I never implied that in anyway. I just pointed out the mechanic is a good way to represent her status, that doesn't make better than others, that don't make her broken. Every character have mechanics and playstyles that applies to them, that don't make them better, simply different:

• Sakurai decided to make Ice Climbers and Rosalina duo characters, does that mean he favorited them? no and this is not unfair to other characters.
  • Charizard, Pit and Meta Knight were the only ones that can glide in brawl, does that means they are favorited? no that is one of their mechanics.
  • Little Mac has his KO punch, does that means he is favorited? no
  • Kirby, Jigglypuff have multiple jumps does this makes them favorited? no
  • Palutena and Miis have different specials does that makes them favorited? no

Every character have strengths and unique characteristics in Palutena's and Mii's case it's their multiple specials, that is far for favoritism, every character is different in some way, no one think certain character is favorited by just ONE MECHANIC, strengths and cons every character have them.

For many people here Palutena's gimmick IS A COMPETITIVE DISADVANTAGE not an advantage so as the mechanic has strong points it also has weaknesss, and I will drop this already people here have far more interesting things to do than watching these. Have a nice life!

I bet it consume your brain more spelling her name wrong only to show your displesure about her, that actually show your madurity

Last edited:

ElPanandero

Smash Lord
NNID
ElPanandero
Maybe because Sakurai saw the potential in Palutena to have different moves? Just doing a few moves for her he thought would be an injustice to her character. And can you actually spell her name correctly if you're gonna bash the character?

You're saying that the Miis are a special case because they're "create-a-fighter"... that's the special case? If anything, Sakurai is showing the bias to Miis with the amount of attention they're getting, amount of development (3 characters?), and 36 different customized moves. That's crazy. Palutena having customizable, unique moves is not crazy.
I think the Mii's are dumb too, but they're justifiable because Sakurai chose to make a CAF which is a real thing. Giving Plat (Which I will call her from now on to avoid offending you) customizable moves to an extent that no other characters get is favoritism and unnessecary. If you think it's fair because you like Plat that's your prerogative, but you can't say it's not an unfair amount of attention for a standard character.

EDIT: @ Burigu Burigu

You don't get what I'm saying. I never said she was broken. And the fact that her extra special moves make her unique isn't what I'm arguing. I'm saying that by giving her 12 special moves to everyone else's 4 is unfair to other characters because that requires extra development time that could be spent making other character have extra special moves, or work on another character, or do anything else. You're raising random points about other characters that has nothing to do my problems with Plat.

And the Mii's are a special case, Sakurai included them to be the customizable figher, that's who they are, literally a create-a-fighter, anything in contradiction to that is just plain incorrect. I don't suppoer the Mii's inclusion, but that's why he put them in.

Last edited:

Burruni

Smash Hero
I think the Mii's are dumb too, but they're justifiable because Sakurai chose to make a CAF which is a real thing. Giving Plat (Which I will call her from now on to avoid offending you) customizable moves to an extent that no other characters get is favoritism and unnessecary. If you think it's fair because you like Plat that's your prerogative, but you can't say it's not an unfair amount of attention for a standard character.
We know that Palutena and the Mii Fighters' specials have more distinct-ness from one to another than what was shown on the only other character we've seen all 12 moves for: Mario. But Mario is meant to be the "average" the "norm" the "Jack-of-all-trades."
We know Pit's arrow has one option where it is much easier to direct mid-flight, Kirby has an ICies style frost breath, and DK has his Storm Punch.

Can we really call Miis/Palutena having "Special Treatment" when we don't know any of the customizable moves for about 5/6ths of the roster?

PS. Can anyone cite other custom specials we know of, if I'm ignorant to them?

Last edited:

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691

You don't get what I'm saying. I never said she was broken. And the fact that her extra special moves make her unique isn't what I'm arguing. I'm saying that by giving her 12 special moves to everyone else's 4 is unfair to other characters because that requires extra development time that could be spent making other character have extra special moves, or work on another character, or do anything else. You're raising random points about other characters that has nothing to do my problems with Plat.

And the Mii's are a special case, Sakurai included them to be the customizable figher, that's who they are, literally a create-a-fighter, anything in contradiction to that is just plain incorrect. I don't suppoer the Mii's inclusion, but that's why he put them in.
Every character has 12 specials. Whether they are different or not, they still are all different and take time to develop. Some are just unique. It depends on the character and what they are capable of, and what their original special moves are (if they can be rehashes or not). I'm guessing Palutena's original specials couldn't really be tweaked, so they made unique ones.

ElPanandero

Smash Lord
NNID
ElPanandero
We know that Palutena and the Mii Fighters' specials have more distinct-ness from one to another than what was shown on the only other character we've seen all 12 moves for: Mario. But as Mario is meant to be the "average" the "norm" the "Jack-of-all-trades."
We know Pit's arrow has one option where it is much easier to direct mid-flight, Kirby has an ICies style frost breath, and DK has his Storm Punch.

Can we really call Miis/Palutena having "Special Treatment" when we don't know any of the customizable moves for about 5/6ths of the roster?

PS. Can anyone cite other custom specials we know of, if I'm ignorant to them?
If it's revealed to be that every other character has 12 fully different specials, I'll gladly concede, but the page i listed a couple posts back seems to suggest Plat's 12 is special and unique to her.

Every character has 12 specials. Whether they are different or not, they still are all different and take time to develop. Some are just unique. It depends on the character and what they are capable of, and what their original special moves are (if they can be rehashes or not). I'm guessing Palutena's original specials couldn't really be tweaked, so they made unique ones.
Changing MArio's fireball to make it slower and bigger or adding hitstun to Fox's laser is different that 12 unique moves with unique animations and properties.

Last edited:

The Light Music Club

Smash Master
NNID
_TLMC_
3DS FC
0576-6097-0725

Palutena's special moves is her gimmick though. Every character, well most characters have a gimmick to them. Robin's is having his weapons break, Little Mac has the KO Punch, Rosalina has the power to send of Lumas as a puppeteer, Mii's are banned from online (I'm not being serious with that one). Every character gets there own special little thing, and for Palutena its that she can use all those powers.

ElPanandero

Smash Lord
NNID
ElPanandero
Palutena's special moves is her gimmick though. Every character, well most characters have a gimmick to them. Robin's is having his weapons break, Little Mac has the KO Punch, Rosalina has the power to send of Lumas as a puppeteer, Mii's are banned from online (I'm not being serious with that one). Every character gets there own special little thing, and for Palutena its that she can use all those powers.
Yea I get that, but her gimmick is creating 3 movesets for one character while everyone else gets the development time of 1 moveset. I understand it's her gimmick but It's an unnecessary and unfair gimmick in my opinion.

Thanks @ 3Bismyname 3Bismyname , appreciate the support

Last edited:

Gold_Jacobson

Smash Journeyman
So, something I thought of and I'm probably an idiot... but wouldn't the late addition of Lucina being a character space effect the pre-determined character select screen layout?

Meaning, let's say they did the same thing for Brawl (where Roy would have been planned to be a Marth alt but instead they added him with his own slot.)

Here's the true Brawl Roster:

But what if they added Roy (Lucina) later with his own slot...

So, I'm trying to picture how they may have prevented / corrected this with Lucina. It might depend on when they decided to give Lucina her own spot. But also, could this mean that there may be gaps in the character select screen and not full rows (Like how Melee's bottown row on the character select screen was not complete)? Could this help us predict the number of characters?

Any thoughts?

Last edited:

The Light Music Club

Smash Master
NNID
_TLMC_
3DS FC
0576-6097-0725
Yea I get that, but her gimmick is creating 3 movesets for one character while everyone else gets the development time of 1 moveset. I understand it's her gimmick but It's an unnecessary and unfair gimmick in my opinion.

But having all those powers is Palutena's thing. Every character has 12 different moves technically. It's just since Palutena has all those powers that they made her that way.

So, something I thought of and I'm probably an idiot... but wouldn't the late addition of Lucina being a character space effect the pre-determined character select screen layout?

Meaning, let's say they did the same thing for Brawl (where Roy would have been planned to be a Marth alt but instead they added him with his own slot.)

But what if they added Roy (Lucina) later with her own slot...

So, I'm trying to picture how they may have prevented / corrected this with Lucina. It might depend on when they decided to give Lucina her own spot. But also, could this mean that there may be gaps in the character select screen and not full rows (Like how Melee's bottown row on the character select screen was not complete)? Could this help us predict the number of characters?

Any thoughts?
He considered having her be an alt costume in the interview. That makes me think that they added her before they made the roster selection screen and stuff.

Last edited:

MagnesD3

Smash Master
Top vets wanted back:
:wolf:: The starfox antagonist who should have been in since melee.

:mewtwopm:: The Iconic Legendary who should have never been cut from brawl.

:ness2:: My n64/pm secondary who is part of the original 12

:gw:: One of my best characters in brawl, turtle for life.

:ganondorf:: The ultimate LoZ villain besides demise who should be decloned.

:falco:: This cocky bird from one of the most memorable games ever with an awesome playstyle that I main in pm.

3Bismyname

Smash Champion

But what if they added Roy (Lucina) later with his own slot...

Any thoughts?
it probably wont be straight lines with an even amount of characters in each. that was never an established formula. just an assumption anyways.

ElPanandero

Smash Lord
NNID
ElPanandero
But having all those powers is Palutena's thing. Every character has 12 different moves technically. It's just since Palutena has all those powers that they made her that way.
But everyone else's extra 8 are mostly (so far) variations of the properties of moves they have (Mario's fireball properties, Fox's hitstun laser) stuff like that. Plat gets an extra 8 totally unique moves.

Burigu

Smash Ace

Three moveset you are serious?

So according to you 12 special gimmick equals to. 3 Different set of smash, 3 different set of tilts, 3 different set of normal attacks, you know whaat CHARACTER actually do that?

MII FIGHTERS! yeah I forgot you don't consider them "characters" my bad, seriously think a little in your answers, Palutena has ONE moveset and 12 specials that is all so no, her normal movepool took the same time as everyone else baring ironically Mii fighters that you don't count.

Seriously I wanted to drop this but your statements only show how uninformed you are

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom