• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
If we get a newcomer in the next direct, which we obviously will, my bet is on Ridley.

If we truly get an extensive overview of Pyrosphere, and he's playable, I doubt he will be kept hidden much longer after it's shown. Especially if there is indeed a Clone Ridley boss hazard.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
If we get a newcomer in the next direct, which we obviously will, my bet is on Ridley.

If we truly get an extensive overview of Pyrosphere, and he's playable, I doubt he will be kept hidden much longer after it's shown. Especially if there is indeed a Clone Ridley boss hazard.
Do we have any idea on when there will even be a new direct? Or was one announced while I was gone?
There should be the general direct this month... I'm banking on K. Rool and Snake, for obvious reasons.

Absolutely fabulous signature, btw.
Very jelly.

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
Do we have any idea on when there will even be a new direct? Or was one announced while I was gone?
There should be the general direct this month... I'm banking on K. Rool and Snake, for obvious reasons.

Absolutely fabulous signature, btw.
Very jelly.
I think the direct is next week or in 2 weeks.

As for who, I think that Ridley is a good bet, but if I got this right, Paper Mario would.

Because it has to do with a WiiU stage reveal and in teases, if the stage was hidden for it to work, it would be revealed when it ends which has to be done before release.

I don't see particular reasons for others, but maybe mewtwo.

Getting like 5 newcomers announced in a video is super unlikely. I think the remains in small teases would be after release.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
but if you ask someone who doesn't know pokemon well they would know what a pokeball is but not a rare candy

I think more people by far know what the Pokedex is than the Orre Club.
Or Steel Diver.
Smart Bomb.
That EyeTurrett.
Back Shield.
Bumper.
Flipper.
Gooey Bomb.
Rocket Launcher.
Beetle.
Spicy Curry.
Or virtually 90 percent of the items.

...until they were in smash.

mark welford

Smash Ace
I think more people by far know what the Pokedex is than the Orre Club.
Or Steel Diver.
Smart Bomb.
That EyeTurrett.
Back Shield.
Bumper.
Flipper.
Gooey Bomb.
Rocket Launcher.
Beetle.
Spicy Curry.
Or virtually 90 percent of the items.

...until they were in smash.
I certainly didn't and your just saying for your biasness towards pokemon which is a series in my opinion has ran out of ideas and is ultimately doomed the last generation that was a good one was the dawn generation after that it feels like pokemon is going downhill I was once a pokemon fanboy i had over 300 cards at one time but I was a little boy that was expected of me but im a teenager more into sports now. good things never last

ThePsychoWolf

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3926-5863-0271
I certainly didn't and your just saying for your biasness towards pokemon which is a series in my opinion has ran out of ideas and is ultimately doomed the last generation that was a good one was the dawn generation after that it feels like pokemon is going downhill I was once a pokemon fanboy i had over 300 cards at one time but I was a little boy that was expected of me but im a teenager more into sports now. good things never last
Pokemon is doomed? Lol good one.

ThePsychoWolf

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3926-5863-0271
im my opinion it is every pokemon generation since the iris black&white generation it gets stupider and stupider like I said good things and nothing never last FYI my favorite generation is the may ruby/sapphire generation
...There's only been one generation since B/W...
You're entitled to your opinion, and I won't argue, but how could you not love Tyrantrum? That thing's BA as hell.

Edit: Wait, are you talking about the anime? Cause that's been bad since season 1.

Last edited:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I'm sorry. If you are trying to claim that you would have known what any of those items I stated were, WITHOUT smash, and that you have ever played Pokemon, I just do not believe you. Flat out, you cannot be telling the truth. If you have played a Pokemon game, you know a version of the Pokedex.

mark welford

Smash Ace
You're entitled to your opinion, and I won't argue, but how could you not love Tyrantrum? That thing's BA as hell.

Edit: Wait, are you talking about the anime? Cause that's been bad since season 1.
im talking about the anime the niceness the way they act in the anime is sickening I loved advanced battle

mark welford

Smash Ace
I'm sorry. If you are trying to claim that you would have known what any of those items I stated were, WITHOUT smash, and that you have ever played Pokemon, I just do not believe you. Flat out, you cannot be telling the truth. If you have played a Pokemon game, you know a version of the Pokedex
no I did not say I would know these items without smash you are misinterpreting my words I am well aware what a pokedex is I did not say I have played every game I have played every game up to ruby/emerald/sapphire
Dude, you need to play the games. Like, NOW.
I have played some of the games

Last edited:

Masonomace

Yeah Shulk, get stuck in!
NNID
Masonomace
Woah woah WOAH. Let's relax on the debate over items, they aren't people worth discussing themselves.:troll:
But seriously, I knew about rare candies thanks to missingno rare candy glitch, you know, the most notorious pokemon game glitch since 1999?
But in all seriousness, people who don't know what Pokemon is, but then reads the words, "PokeDex" & "Pokeball", both with "Poke", it's bound a matter of putting 2 & 2 together. Rare Candies are also something you can know about without having to play the games, because they're a godsend. . . . . . . .after you fully EV train:p.

In before SSB4 texture hack / DLC palette swap, featuring Robin with a Pokemon Trainer swap, & his Tome Book = PokeDex with the same color swaps.

Not sure if to discuss about Pokemon characters in the discussion or not. But Sceptile / Mewtwo / Purin ?

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
I'm guessing next trailer is DK themed. It just seems most apt to me this close to release.

Shiny Tyrantrum is awesome, and Tyrantrum in general is a really cool Pokemon aesthetically. It's a shame its Hidden Ability is unreleased though.

xyt4n

Smash Cadet
I think a villain trailer is the most realistic. A lot of important villain chars are missing.
A trailer could be revealed on the gamescom. There are only a few weeks away to the release in japan, so the hype must be raised.
I think Wario, Metaknight, Ganondorf and as a newcomer King K. Rool could be revealed.

One week before the release, would come the last trailer in a Nintendo Direct, which takes the hype to maximum.
This trailer should revealed Ness, Mewtwo, Bomberman and as last Ridley. I think lot of people would not handle this hype anymore :D

Here my new 52er roster. Right are 2 DLC Packs, one Newcomer Pack and an another one which ist called Veteran Pack.

Last edited:

Masonomace

Yeah Shulk, get stuck in!
NNID
Masonomace
I think a villain trailer is the most realistic. A lot of important villain chars are missing.
A trailer could be revealed on the gamescom. There are only a few weeks away to the release in japan, so the hype must be raised.
I think Wario, Metaknight, Ganondorf and as a newcomer King K. Rool could be revealed.

One week before the release, would come the last trailer in a Nintendo Direct, which takes the hype to maximum.
This trailer should revealed Ness, Mewtwo, Bomberman and as last Ridley. I think lot of people would not handle this hype anymore :D

Here my new 52er roster. Right are 2 DLC Packs, one Newcomer Pack and an another one which ist called Veteran Pack.

Yeah a few veteran villains are missing, along with some fresh meat newcomers. Wario & MetaKnight are not true villains but will end up personifying as Evillains for the "Villain Trailer" anyway(?).

Nice organization in your list, making Mario LoZ & Pokemon as the biggest branches of roster slots have their own vertical row. Kind of surprised you don't have a 6th slot for LoZ. Seeing the two captains together makes sense, but I wished to see an extra rep from Pikmin & F-Zero. . .:ohwell:. I've noticed Metroid & Starfox near the same area in these rosters, not complaining with that row.:p I'm skeptic of Bomberman but I don't mind his inclusion. Lastly for your last row ignoring Random & DLC button, I like that you treat the Mii Fighters as 3 separate playable characters, & that might be how it goes but I'm swaying more toward the likelyhood they'll all be in one slot to choose from, like PT's selection was from Brawl. No need to separate 3 Mii's for 3 roster slots, however that would look great for Sakurai's lack of care for roster slots.

Finally your DLC pleases me, including nostalgia Brawl pack, despite thinking ROB has a shot for being in the original SSB4 roster.
:4falcon::4falcon::4falcon::4falcon: out of 5 HYESZ!

ElPanandero

Smash Lord
NNID
ElPanandero

Sorry homie, but Jimmy T, Krystal, Medusa, Prince Fluff, Ridley, before a Loz newcomer, important (non DLC) vets, Dixie, and Issac

Not a fan personally man, I'd be the least hyped for this roster as possible. Sorry, nothing personal

BillE

Smash Cadet
Does anyone think this roster would happen?

Duck Hunt Dog could be replaced with any retro rep and Karate Joe with any Rhythm Heaven rep.

xyt4n

Smash Cadet
Sorry homie, but Jimmy T, Krystal, Medusa, Prince Fluff, Ridley, before a Loz newcomer, important (non DLC) vets, Dixie, and Issac

Not a fan personally man, I'd be the least hyped for this roster as possible. Sorry, nothing personal
Nah, its just normal critic, so why being offended?

Star Fox need minimum 3 chars and for me is krystal way more special than wolf.
Prince Fluff is also more special and interesting as waddle dee.
Medusa >> Dark Pit
Bomberman fits perfect between Mario, Megaman and Sonic. Only Rayman would be missed. He could be such a good stage controller.
Paper Mario, I love his design. I just played Super Paper Mario and was a little bored, but he is like Prince Fluff, Mr. G&W, and Jimmy T. very special and could have funny attacks
Jimmy T. as a surprise character. He could have dance moves and include some music-sounds to the game. He is the last important on the list, but could add some flavor to the game like Mr. G&W and Wii Fit Trainer

Impa could push the hype for the next LoZ as a DLC char next year.
Sceptile was to late coming in the progress, like Captain Toad. Both of them are important for the roster. Sceptile is needed, because he is a grass starter and toad is the last missing main from the Mario franchise and now he has his own game and movement-style.
If splatoon will be successful, then inkling would be a great new fighter for smash.

That are my thoughts ;)

Last edited:

ElPanandero

Smash Lord
NNID
ElPanandero
Nah, its just normal critic, so why being offended?

Star Fox need minimum 3 chars and for me is krystal way more special than wolf.
Prince Fluff is also more special and interesting as waddle dee.
Medusa >> Dark Pit
Bomberman fits perfect between Mario, Megaman and Sonic. Only Rayman would be missed. He could be such a good stage controller.
Paper Mario, I love his design. I just played Super Paper Mario and was a little bored, but he is like Prince Fluff, Mr. G&W, and Jimmy T. very special and could have funny attacks
Jimmy T. as a surprise character. He could have dance moves and include some music-sounds to the game. He is the last important on the list, but could add some flavor to the game like Mr. G&W and Wii Fit Trainer

Impa could push the hype for the next LoZ as a DLC char next year.
Sceptile was to late coming in the progress, like Captain Toad. Both of them are important for the roster. Sceptile is needed, because he is a grass starter and toad is the last missing main from the Mario franchise and now he has his own game and movement-style.
If splatoon will be successful, then inkling would be a great new fighter for smash.

That are my thoughts ;)
Star Fox reasoning is sound, I just don't like Krsytal so that's chill
I actually love prince fludd over BD, I love anyone over BD, so since that's your reasoning, points for you
I like Bomberman, he'd be dope
I don't have a problem with Paper Mario, I could roll with him
Still meh on Jimmy T, but fun reasoning
I actually liked all the DLC options, I just wish they didn't have to be DLC

Probably the best defending of a roster that I didn't like, kudos to you

elephant13

Smash Apprentice
Going for a Starfox themed reveal.

edit: wasn't reading the thread, it's good other people see it too.

Last edited:

xyt4n

Smash Cadet
Star Fox reasoning is sound, I just don't like Krsytal so that's chill
I actually love prince fludd over BD, I love anyone over BD, so since that's your reasoning, points for you
I like Bomberman, he'd be dope
I don't have a problem with Paper Mario, I could roll with him
Still meh on Jimmy T, but fun reasoning
I actually liked all the DLC options, I just wish they didn't have to be DLC

Probably the best defending of a roster that I didn't like, kudos to you
hahaha, thank you! :)

I also think Bowser and K.K. Rool are very similiar. Fat, looking like an animal, having attires, big choppers, feeling like a king. Never player a game with him, but I associate him with bowser.
Dixie is very easy to make. Just a clone. K.K. Rool should be special. So it will be the decisions between them including time as a factor. One of them must be in the new Smash!
I dont think that both could made it. Only Fire Emblem had become 2 new characters and now we dont have a lot of spots left
I prefer K.K. Rool, he looks so cool and interesting. Dixie is a girl, thats going for her, but she would not be an eyecandy in this game.

Last edited:

CJ Falcon

Smash Lord
hahaha, thank you!

I also think Bowser and K.K. Rool are very similiar. Fat, looking like an animal, having attires, big choppers, feeling like a king. Never player a game with him, but I associate him with bowser.
Dixie is very easy to make. Just a clone. K.K. Rool should be special. So it will be the decisions between them. One of them must be in the new Smash! I prefer K.K. Rool, he looks so cool and interesting. Dixie is a girl, thats going for her, but not an eyecandy in the game.
Dixie can't be a clone. In her games, her hair has a ton of uses, so it would be a total waste if they just gave her Diddy's moveset which makes no use of hair. Also, Dixie never used Diddy's rocket barrels or peanut popgun before, so it wouldn't make sense for her to be using them. Also, some of Diddy's attacks use his tail and Dixie does not have a tail, so that wouldn't work. Dixie should be unique just like K. Rool, I'm confident both will be playable in Smash 4.

Last edited:

xyt4n

Smash Cadet
Yeah right, but maybe they switch only few attacks? Sorry thats my fault, forget her hair factor :D

TheNerdyOne_

Smash Ace
So Smash Bros Wii U and 3DS will be at Gamescon. Does anyone think we will get anything out of that?
I'm hoping we'll get a direct on Tuesday, as it would line up with Gamescon, CoroCoro's release (which may or may not include a character that will be revealed before/on it's release) and also with past Direct patterns.

NickerBocker

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2492-4251-5054
I really hope there is a villains trailer very soon. I find it ridiculous that the only villain we have right now is Bowser, who was revealed at E3 2013. Villains are important members of the series. Without villains, there would be no struggle.

No Ganondorf? No legend of zelda.
No K Rool? No DK country.
No Ridley? Well there are other villains, but no one strikes fear into the heart of Samus more than Ridley. She struggles with it.

Brawl was seriously underrepresenting in villains. We had Ganondorf, Bowser and Wolf. Depending on ylur interpretation, Wario as well, and the combination of MK with Dedede I suppose is a villain, but thats a bit of a stretch. Big series should have their villains. They are just as important as the protagonist.

CJ Falcon

Smash Lord
I really hope there is a villains trailer very soon. I find it ridiculous that the only villain we have right now is Bowser, who was revealed at E3 2013. Villains are important members of the series. Without villains, there would be no struggle.

No Ganondorf? No legend of zelda.
No K Rool? No DK country.
No Ridley? Well there are other villains, but no one strikes fear into the heart of Samus more than Ridley. She struggles with it.

Brawl was seriously underrepresenting in villains. We had Ganondorf, Bowser and Wolf. Depending on ylur interpretation, Wario as well, and the combination of MK with Dedede I suppose is a villain, but thats a bit of a stretch. Big series should have their villains. They are just as important as the protagonist.
Well, one could argue that we did have DKC without K. Rool, but we know that Tiki Tong and Frederick ain't the real deal. K. Rool is the real nemesis.

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
So with all this talk for potential clones earlier, I think I'll make my fail Paper Mario clone-set:

Special: Hammer Toss, Paper Mario launches his hammer. The longer you hold the Special-Button, the farther the hammer is thrown.

OR

Shell Toss: Paper Mario kicks Kooper or Koops. This acts similar to a Boomerang.

Side-Special: Paper Mario uses Barry as a shield. This deflects(or destroys) projectiles and causes light damage upon contact with an opponent.

Down-Special: Paper Mario summons Sushie who then sprays water.

Up-Special: Paper Mario summons Parakarry and uses Air-Lift.

OR

Paper Mario uses his Spring-Jump ability.

His normal moves are all different from Mario's however, so this moveset is more of a pseudo-clone. I do not want to see Paper Mario as a clone, however, this moveset wouldn't be so bad in my opinion.

WayfaringElf

Smash Master
NNID
tobytwo
I'm banking on a Ridley reveal on the August direct. He has been built up for so long by Sakurai and it would only do good to pay it off. Not only that, but reveals so far line up with anniversaries, not new games coming out. Little mac was punch out's, Cpt. Falcon/Lucina/Robin was the FE and F-Zero anniversary.

NNID
TheSir24
3DS FC
2191-8079-5484
I'm banking on a Ridley reveal on the August direct. He has been built up for so long by Sakurai and it would only do good to pay it off. Not only that, but reveals so far line up with anniversaries, not new games coming out. Little mac was punch out's, Cpt. Falcon/Lucina/Robin was the FE and F-Zero anniversary.
There's no better opportunity to reveal him than this month, too. Last month before release and the whole roster leaking like a rusty pipe, matching the series anniversary and icing the cake by showing the most requested character ever.

I'll find it really dumb if they don't reveal him this month.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom