• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

also... for the Yoshi alt costume, we could get Boshi

Actually, not sure we could. I think Boshi belongs to Square-Enix.
Otherwise, Nintendo really missed out on making a "Wa Brothers" game with Wario, Waluigi, and Washi (Boshi's Japanese name).

ElPanandero

Smash Lord
NNID
ElPanandero
I think you are misunderstanding me.

What im saying is that in the same way something like Zamus exists, the same way other characters can exist, because im sure people will be suggesting the Zero Suit as an alt otherwise.
Dry Bowser could throw his bones like a boomerang and Dr Mario use his stethoscope to freeze or something stethoscopic... an Alt will be a waste.
But realistically, Dry Bones Bowser would never be in Smash, he's not even like the 20th most important chaarcter in Mario's universe. Could he be playable? Aboslutely. Will he? Not anytime in the near future.

Thus, alts are fine for characters that will never make it in (DRy Bowser) or popular characters that just aren't quite popular enough (Hector :p). Not really sure where Doc fits but I'd guess the latter, thus alt is fine with me..though I don't know how the pills would work (though PM made it work just fine, so it's clearly doable, but I digress)

Maxilian

Smash Ace
Source? If anything i remember him saying some costumes would take away from a characters uniqueness
FOUND IT!

here what Sakurai said at Famitsu after Lucina and Robin were shown (July 16)

Initially, I had considered including Lucina as one of Marth's alternate costumes. After all, she has a close relationship with him in FE:A. In such cases, even if two characters' names and voices differ, as long as they function the same way, I assign them as alternate costumes. The Wii Fit Trainers, Villagers, and Robin are examples of this setup.

I think you are misunderstanding me.

What im saying is that in the same way something like Zamus exists, the same way other characters can exist, because im sure people will be suggesting the Zero Suit as an alt otherwise.
Dry Bowser could throw his bones like a boomerang and Dr Mario use his stethoscope to freeze or something stethoscopic... an Alt will be a waste.
Wait what? so... you want clones instead of costumes? we are talking about alts because... well is easier to just make an alt than make a completely new character and that's something we can get, and what you say would not help the game at all, it may make Smash Bros get the same problem that Mario Kart 8 have..., the roster in MK8 is hated by many people cause.... the roster is the same thing repeated over and over again (7 Koopalings, more babies, and some of the important/popular/classic characters removed)

Last edited:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
@ pupNapoleon pupNapoleon
I find that decent. But would you put Wolf in the same category of 'Clone' in with Fox & Falco? Falco is more 'clone' to Fox than Wolf is to Fox, so surely Wolf is a sub-category analogy of Clone, being semi-clone. Your characters posted are clones, but the degree of 'clone' can be divergent to extents like :falcon: / :ganondorf: to :foxmelee: / :falcomelee:. Their standards are not alike, while both are still placed in that main clone grouping.
I don't think there are 'degrees of clones.' Going on the DNA analogy I was using before, identical and fraternal twins are still both twins, even if one set are not of a split ovum. They are still related.

D

Deleted member

Dry Bowser seems rather reasonable as a Bowser alt.
Especially since Mario Kart Arcade DX recently did just that.

FalcoPaunch!121

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
5386-9681-7388
Actually, not sure we could. I think Boshi belongs to Square-Enix.
Otherwise, Nintendo really missed out on making a "Wa Brothers" game with Wario, Waluigi, and Washi (Boshi's Japanese name).
That would be amazing. I mean, they could be like the Chorus Men in a way!

Richard 89

Smash Lord
NNID
Wesker08
3DS FC
4768-7987-3562
Maybe this will inspire you!!!

My Ultimate Prediction Roster!!! (if sakurai truly wants this to be the best character game ever.)

EVERYBODY WINS!!! (Cue's main theme music)
Marth, Ike, Falco, Wolf, and Bowser, even K. Rool and Ridley, My hopes that someone would have this mindset to post a roster like this have come true.:estatic: 20/20

Sobreviviente

Smash Lord
But realistically, Dry Bones Bowser would never be in Smash, he's not even like the 20th most important chaarcter in Mario's universe. Could he be playable? Abo****ely. Will he? Not anytime in the near future.

Thus, alts are fine for characters that will never make it in (DRy Bowser) or popular characters that just aren't quite popular enough (Hector :p). Not really sure where Doc fits but I'd guess the latter, thus alt is fine with me..though I don't know how the pills would work (though PM made it work just fine, so it's clearly doable, but I digress)
Yeah thats what i dont consider myself a hatter, just dont like the idea of certain alts, and i could enjoy dry bowser as an Alt anyways.
I dont really like FE but lucina as an Alt would've been disgusting in so many levels... so thats about it :p

Wait what? so... you want clones instead of costumes? we are talking about alts because... well is easier to just make an alt than make a completely new character and that's something we can get, and what you say would not help the game at all, it may make Smash Bros get the same problem that Mario Kart 8 have..., the roster in MK8 is hated by many people cause.... the roster is the same thing repeated over and over again (7 Koopalings, more babies, and some of the important/popular/classic characters removed)
I know my opinion is not the most popular, but is my opinion :p and i actually love MK8 roster.

When i saw the 7 koopalings i was like holy koopa... and then gold peach which i thought was kinda badass.
I dont think is the same thing repeated though, i could say the same about FE "too many swordsman" and i dont believe it is.

Last edited:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Just to quote my Daily POTD response since we have been talking about shirtless Ike :D

Now let's get Ike in a Thong!

...or I call Sexism.

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
I'd love to see a Dry Bowser alt, but I'd rather see a Rookie alt. I loved Mario & Luigi Superstar Saga and I think the series deserves some recognition.

HylianHeroBigBoss

Smash Lord
NNID
HylianHeroSnake
FOUND IT!

here what Sakurai said at Famitsu after Lucina and Robin were shown (July 16)

Initially, I had considered including Lucina as one of Marth's alternate costumes. After all, she has a close relationship with him in FE:A. In such cases, even if two characters' names and voices differ, as long as they function the same way, I assign them as alternate costumes. The Wii Fit Trainers, Villagers, and Robin are examples of this setup.
Ah I see, I never saw that one, its recent though. Thanks for clearing that up, I guess it's another case of sakurai flip flipping on what he said at an earlier date.

I'm still not expecting some of the more outlandish costumes some are hoping for.

~Krystal~

True American Heroine
Just to quote my Daily POTD response since we have been talking about shirtless Ike :D
Ooooh! You know what should happen if Snake gets in? They should give him his shirtless appearance from the final confrontation with Liquid Snake in MGS. It's totally canonical and is in no way sexual!

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Ah I see, I never saw that one, its recent though. Thanks for clearing that up, I guess it's another case of sakurai flip flipping on what he said at an earlier date.

I'm still not expecting some of the more outlandish costumes some are hoping for.
Flip flopping?

When did he ever say anything to the contrary?
He said don't expect the roster size to be too big-- and even that, I remember defending myself, sounding like a point of, "don't set your expectations high because I want to crush them!...and because people were unrealistic about Brawl."

Even still, I would not know how that is anything contrary to Character Alt costumes. We still may not have an enormous cast (even if I think that statement was for crowd control).

Gold_Jacobson

Smash Journeyman
Ooooh! You know what should happen if Snake gets in? They should give him his shirtless appearance from the final confrontation with Liquid Snake in MGS. It's totally canonical and is in no way sexual!

Can't tell if you are being sarcastic or not.

That wouldn't be a bad alt. I'd prefer a Liquid Snake or Raiden Alt. That'd be cool.

Marakatu

Smash Ace
Name only 3 of your Miis that you have planned. 1 of each type.

Sword: frog from chrono trigger
Blaster: old revolver ocelot
Brawler: krillin from Dbz.

Yours?
Sword: Kenshin Himura
Blaster: Yusuke Urameshi
Brawler: Son Goku

Also, Samus and Pit as Blasters vs Link and Takamaru as Swordsmen (and eventually throw Mario and Luigi as Brawlers).

Oh, I just had more ideas!
Paul McCartney as a Swordsman (because he's a knight).
John Lennon as a Gunner (he once said that happiness is a warm gun).
George Harrison as a Brawler (he would kick ass while wearing an old brown shoe).
Ringo should be an assist trophy, because he can only fight with a little help from his friends.

Niala

Smash Ace
I'm curious, how many people are still expecting multiple newcomers to be revealed? We're approaching the end of August now, still no direct nor any focus on the game whatsoever, and with Sakurai having said "we're nearing the bottom of the barrel [...]" he might have meant there was only one more video left.

I'll admit, when he first said that, I was expecting two videos, even if I accepted the possibility that it might have only been one. At this point, I'm really leaning to there being just one left.

Maxilian

Smash Ace
I'm curious, how many people are still expecting multiple newcomers to be revealed? We're approaching the end of August now, still no direct nor any focus on the game whatsoever, and with Sakurai having said "we're nearing the bottom of the barrel [...]" he might have meant there was only one more video left.

I'll admit, when he first said that, I was expecting two videos, even if I accepted the possibility that it might have only been one. At this point, I'm really leaning to there being just one left.
I'm waiting for at least 2 newcomers, both could be in 1 video or 1 of them could be a secret character

Doompatron3000

Smash Journeyman

http://www.smashbros.com/wii/en_us/characters/index.html
This is what keeps me optimistic. Sakurai didn't reveal all the characters before Brawl's release in Japan, granted most were revealed before, but there still was some hidden.

Maxilian

Smash Ace
http://www.smashbros.com/wii/en_us/characters/index.html
This is what keeps me optimistic. Sakurai didn't reveal all the characters before Brawl's release in Japan, granted most were revealed before, but there still was some hidden.
Well there were 5 newcomers hidden but 3 of those 5 were clones or semiclones (Lucas, Toon Link and Wolf) and want it or not Toon Link just took the place of Young Link... the only 2 completely new characters that were hidden were R.O.B and Lucario

Last edited:

Protom

Smash Lord
NNID
Toonfearow
3DS FC
1521-4412-3019
3 Miis?
Brawler: Monkey. D Luffy
Swordsman: Zero (From Mega Man)
Gunner: Protoman (who I have a feeling has a shot at being an alt)

SegaNintendoUbisoft

The Amateur Artist
NNID
S.N.U0203
3DS FC
4725-8740-7336
So guys, which alts would you like to see?

Spoiler because it's kind of a long list
Mario - Dr. Mario / Hawaiian Shirt
Donkey Kong - Funky Kong / Boxing gloves
Link - Fierce Deity / Twilight Princess villager outfit
Samus - Classic Varia Suit / Phazon Suit
Kirby doesn't need alts, palette swaps are enough.
Fox - James McCloud / Assault outfit
Pikachu already has some hats.
Bowser - Dry Bowser / Dark Bowser
Pit - Dark Pit / Light Vs Dark Fighter
Villager already has alts.
Mega Man - Other forms adapted to his classic size
Wii Fit Trainer already has an alt.
Olimar - Louie / Alph
Luigi - Mr. L / Dr. Luigi
Peach - Sports outfit
Toon Link - Outset Island outfit / Engineer outfit
Sonic - Metal Sonic
Marth - Classic appearance
Rosalina - Biker suit
Zelda - Hyrule Warriors armor
King Dedede - Masked Dedede
Meta Knight - Galacta Knight
Lucario shouldn't have alts, but a shiny palette swap is a must.
Little Mac already has an alt.
Diddy Kong - I honestly don't know
Zero Suit Samus already has an alt.
Sheik - Impa (if she's not playable) / Hyrule Warriors outfit
Yoshi doesn't need alts, just palette swaps.
Charizard shouldn't have alts, but a shiny palette swap is a must.
Greninja shouldn't have alts, but a shiny palette swap is a must.
Ike - Brawl outfit
Palutena - I honestly don't know
Pac-Man - New boots, maybe?
Captain Falcon - Blood Falcon / Black Shadow
Lucina - I honestly don't know
Robin - Different faces and hairstyles

As for the Mii Fighters, I'd thought of...

Mii Swordsman: Iñigo Montoya
Mii Fighter: Chuck Norris
Mii Gunner: The Joker
Sonic: Classic Sonic/Sonic Boom
Mario: Dr.Mario
Megaman: Megaman X outfit (Classic Megaman in X's armor)
Pac-Man: Ms. Pac-Man
Villgaer: Already has enough
Wii Fit Trainer: Already has enough
Little Mac: Already has enough
Pit: Dark Pit with different voice clips
Palutena: Pseudo Palutena Old School Design

Last edited:

God Robert's Cousin

Smash Hero
NNID
RepaignPalsims
3DS FC
4339-2483-2603
Well there were 5 newcomers hidden but 3 of those 5 were clones or semiclones (Lucas, Toon Link and Wolf) and want it or not Toon Link just took the place of Young Link... the only 2 completely new characters that were hidden were R.O.B and Lucario
Lucas being hidden? What on earth are you going on about?

The only hidden newcomers were Toon Link (replacement), Wolf (semi-clone at worst, you folks need to press a button besides the goddamn B button), R.O.B. (hidden and unique) and Lucario (hidden and unique).

Which means that, at worst, we'll have one more Direct to show off a newcomer, and 2 hidden newcomers after release. Shulk, Chorus Kids, and Ridley seem like our minimum at this point. Mewtwo, K. Rool, Isaac, and/or Bandana Dee being additional goodies.

Maxilian

Smash Ace
It's interesting. Sakurai did reveal only 27 characters for Brawl, and now we are already at 39.
Well having in mind what's the difference of character per game (12 or 14 i think) it wouldn't be weird

Lucas being hidden? What on earth are you going on about?

The only hidden newcomers were Toon Link (replacement), Wolf (semi-clone at worst, you folks need to press a button besides the goddamn B button), R.O.B. (hidden and unique) and Lucario (hidden and unique).

Which means that, at worst, we'll have one more Direct to show off a newcomer, and 2 hidden newcomers after release. Shulk, Chorus Kids, and Ridley seem like our minimum at this point. Mewtwo, K. Rool, Isaac, and/or Bandana Dee being additional goodies.

1- I know that wolf is a semi-clone, that's why i said (clones or semi-clones)...

2- Ups, i mean Ness and he was not even new so there were 4 newcomer hidden

now... IMO Chorus Kids will be one of those character that will be hidden (Based on the fact that we had weird character like him hidden in the past, melee with Mr.G&W and Brawl with R.O.B)

Last edited:

ElPanandero

Smash Lord
NNID
ElPanandero
I think we'll get a little more than in brawl in terms of amount, only because they're not wasting all that time on the subspace emisary. Characters seem to be their focus this time around

God Robert's Cousin

Smash Hero
NNID
RepaignPalsims
3DS FC
4339-2483-2603
1- I know that wolf is a semi-clone, that's why i said (clones or semi-clones)...

2- Ups, i mean Ness and he was not even new so there were 4 newcomer hidden

now... IMO Chorus Kids will be one of those character that will be hidden (Based on the fact that we had weird character like him hidden in the past, melee with Mr.G&W and Brawl with R.O.B)
I just got the vibe that you were saying Wolf was semi-clone to Fox in the same way Toon Link is to Link. If you didn't intend to say that, that's my bad then. I'm just tired of hearing people act like Wolf is less unique than he is. When one actually uses his standard moves, it's blatantly obvious that calling him even a semi-clone is a stretch.

But yeah, Chorus Kids being hidden the same way G&W and R.O.B. were makes sense. Shulk and Ridley would draw in much more hype in their own trailers anyhow. Given how we're at 25 days before 3DS release, I can't imagine us getting any more than 2 newcomer trailers left.

wizardto1

Smash Lord
NNID
waddledee3
3DS FC
1676-4166-2291
For my mii fighters:
Brawler: Me
Swordfighter:Me
Gunner:Me
I'm not really creative with my miis honestly.¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
So, I imagine that you guys are still discussing that box art, correct?
Or maybe not?

I see there is some alternate costume discussion going on, so I'm add my two cents.
I hope Lucina's alternate colors are not the exact same as Marth's.
Especially if ZSS gets short shorts.

That is all.
In fact, I would love it if Lucina gets Roy's old color swaps.

HylianHeroBigBoss

Smash Lord
NNID
HylianHeroSnake
Flip flopping?

When did he ever say anything to the contrary?
He said don't expect the roster size to be too big-- and even that, I remember defending myself, sounding like a point of, "don't set your expectations high because I want to crush them!...and because people were unrealistic about Brawl."

Even still, I would not know how that is anything contrary to Character Alt costumes. We still may not have an enormous cast (even if I think that statement was for crowd control).
At one point after e3 there was a quote somewhere that said he mentioned something like "costumes would take away from the unique characters themselves" or to that extent. Ill keep looking for the quote though, but this was way before we had any costumes, which is why many toned down their expectations about them (i dont know why your bringing up his mention of the roster size though since thats not what we were talking about)

GunGunW

Smash Lord
NNID
GunGunW
I'd like to see Marth or Lucina have a color swap where their outfit and their hair are red. Like, red red not redhead red.

D

Deleted member

At one point after e3 there was a quote somewhere that said he mentioned something like "costumes would take away from the unique characters themselves" or to that extent. Ill keep looking for the quote though, but this was way before we had any costumes, which is why many toned down their expectations about them (i dont know why your bringing up his mention of the roster size though since thats not what we were talking about)
He said customizing costumes onto characters.
As in, the player editing Mario to give him a cowboy hat, an eyepatch, etc.
"Since each version of the game has completely different stages, cross-platform play wouldn't work," Sakurai told Joystiq through an interpreter. He did, however, tell us that players will be able to take characters they've customized in the 3DS version and transfer them to the Wii U version.
Sakurai wouldn't go more specifically into these what these "customizations" would be, but stated that they would not be custom costumes, as he feels they would take away from what makes each character unique.
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/new...r-Wii-U-and-3DS-Wont-Have-Cross-Platform-Play

Last edited by a moderator:

HylianHeroBigBoss

Smash Lord
NNID
HylianHeroSnake
He said customizing costumes onto characters.
As in, the player editing Mario to give him a cowboy hat, an eyepatch, etc.
Is that what it was? I guess mistranslations were the case in what I read then, I remember so many people shooting the idea of costumes down just from that alone. A case of purple monkey dishwasher it seems.

D

Deleted member

Edited the quote into my previous post.
If anything is flip-flopping, it is that Miis can be given custom costumes based on their type as well as a hat that may or may not fit with the design.
But then again, that's what Miis are for; personal customization.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom