• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

?????????????

Smash Master
I feel bad for some of the Brawl veterans, but what I don't get is why Dr. Mario and Dark Pit got higher priority than Mewtwo and Wolf.
I'm fairly certain they were last minute clones, like Lucina. That they already had models in the game from originally being alternate costumes for Mario and Pit, so turning them into clone characters was much more doable in their spare time then creating either Mewtwo or Wolf from scratch.

RoseyBetch

Smash Journeyman
My guess is that they simply ran out of time for that. They prioritized giving Doc, Pittoo, and Lucy their own slots above Alph.

Don't they have enough Mario characters?
The bias is real, then. Kid Icarus and Pikmin have the same number of games -- three. He gave Kid Icarus a third before he gave Pikmin a second. Alph could have used Rock Pikmin or something. :/

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
He at least saved some of the really popular/iconic choices for the next game. If Dixie, Rool, Ridley, and Mewtwo were added in this game there wouldn't be any new all-star characters to add in the next game.

Pakky

Smash Hero
No Mewtwo this is terrible, So what's up with Ridely then?

Last edited:

?????????????

Smash Master
He at least saved some of the really popular/iconic choices for the next game. If Dixie, Rool, Ridley, and Mewtwo were added in this game there wouldn't be any new all-star characters to add in the next game.
I don't think Sakurai views them as All-Stars in the same way we do; otherwise, they'd be playable already.

Going into the speculation of this game, who would you have said the "All-Star" characters are? I would have said those 4 before anyone else that did make it into the roster.

Sakurai simply doesn't believe those four are necessary.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
The bias is real, then. Kid Icarus and Pikmin have the same number of games -- three. He gave Kid Icarus a third before he gave Pikmin a second. Alph could have used Rock Pikmin or something. :/
Olimar is too gimmicky of a character to make a clone out of though. It'd actually take it away from him.

Plus the focus is on the Pikmin who do most of the fighting, like how the Koopa Clown Car is the focus of Bowser Jr's moveset. The only difference Alph would make is Rock Pikmin, who are pretty redundant with the Purple Pikmin around.

Last edited:

Pakky

Smash Hero
I hope this isn't it because, wow, hype is dead

Last edited:

Crescendo

Smash Journeyman
I wouldn't be so sure of that.
We don't know how many new characters and licenses can appear during the inevitable long wait that will be before Smash 5. We already have Splatoon and Project STEAM around the corner, retro revivals can happen, series could outright die. Characters could by some kind of miracle get revamped, Palutena could get 3 other set of specials, there are so many unknown variable to the process just assuming they will automatically be in the next game is kind of risky.

bballstar23

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-2383-6686-1312
I told myself this after Brawl too, and they still didn't make it into this one. Not trying to put a damper on your dreams or anything, but for some reason or another it doesn't seem like Sakurai considers them as important or noteworthy as the fans here do. Who knows though? There could be a multitude of reasons explaining why they weren't included.

I don't think Sakurai views them as All-Stars in the same way we do; otherwise, they'd be playable already.

Going into the speculation of this game, who would you have said the "All-Star" characters are? I would have said those 4 before anyone else that did make it into the roster.

Yeah I pretty much agree with what you've said. I had hope again for those 4 this time around, but after being burned last time I learned my lesson not to get my hopes too high for them.

Last edited:

Pakky

Smash Hero
All that advertisement for Mewtwo and nothing, I don't care what anyone says this was a bad move. I mean Dr.Mario though? Really, over Mewtwo, this is lazy.

Last edited:

Dudemaster47

Smash Cadet
Honestly, while I'm disappointed about Ridley, the only part of the roster that I outright dislike is Dark Pit. It's not that I'm pissed about him taking up a slot, it's more that...well, why couldn't they just make a clone character that WASN'T just a glorified recolor of Pit? Beef up a series that actually deserves more reps, like putting in Dark Samus for Metroid or Dixie Kong for DK (admittedly, I wouldn't want either to be a clone if they were in but Dixie being a Diddy clone at least makes a hell of a lot more sense than Captain Falcondorf...and it'd at least be sort of acknowledging that the franchises in question actually deserve more representation than they're getting).

Admittedly Dark Pit getting in over someone who wasn't just a recolor is obviously due to bias on Sakurai's part but STILL.

camzaman

Smash Journeyman

I respectfully disagree. They are all-stars, but he is hyping up new characters and franchises going into release to build a bigger fanbase to buy the game. So they're all stars, but if anything they would be unlocked last because they please existing fans of the series itself and the series the characters belong to.

Ganonthegreat

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ganonthegreat
3DS FC
3780-9005-2627
If Sakurai isn't holding at least Ridley and Mewtwo for DLC then honestly I believe they need a new director. Sakurai does a great job of making good games but his methods of character selection and public relations are awful.

Good characters should never get booted for the sake of being surprising. I do like this roster but there's no reason at all to have characters like Bowser Jr and Wii Fit Trainer over such heavily requested characters, not to mention the endless and potentially fruitless teasing of Ridley.

Of course if those slots do end up getting filled with the characters that people have asked for I will take all this back but until then I do think he needs to take his own pride out of the equation. Especially when it comes to overrepping games he made himself like with Dark Pit.

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
I wouldn't be so sure of that.
We don't know how many new characters and licenses can appear during the inevitable long wait that will be before Smash 5. We already have Splatoon and Project STEAM around the corner, retro revivals can happen, series could outright die. Characters could by some kind of miracle get revamped, Palutena could get 3 other set of specials, there are so many unknown variable to the process just assuming they will automatically be in the next game is kind of risky.
Yeah, I'm just trying to be optimistic here. Ridley very well could continue be seen as an "impossibility" [laughs] and if K. Rool doesn't appear in any future games there's a good chance he wouldn't be added. I just hope he gives into the requests and adds them anyway.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I'm only bothered by Dark Pit since he is a clone in Smash. But if they had given him his own unique moveset using the different weapons from Uprising, I would have been all for him, since I like the character. Which makes his inclusion as a clone even more bothersome for me.

Pakky

Smash Hero
If Sakurai isn't holding at least Ridley and Mewtwo for DLC then honestly I believe they need a new director. Sakurai does a great job of making good games but his methods of character selection and public relations are awful.

Good characters should never get booted for the sake of being surprising. I do like this roster but there's no reason at all to have characters like Bowser Jr and Wii Fit Trainer over such heavily requested characters, not to mention the endless and potentially fruitless teasing of Ridley.

Of course if those slots do end up getting filled with the characters that people have asked for I will take all this back but until then I do think he needs to take his own pride out of the equation. Especially when it comes to overrepping games he made himself like with Dark Pit.
The Wii Fit trainer doesn't even get me what gets me is Dr.Mario, I mean why, what would compel you to put him in. Also why be so suggestive with Ridely? I'm wavering on getting it now.

Last edited:

MYU2

Smash Apprentice
Wow.... Hype is dead for me.

No Zelda Newcomer?
No Donkey Kong Newcomer??
No Metroid Newcomer???
No Mewtwo????
Falcondorf
SF & Mother getting one rep cut meanwhile KI gets 2

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276

Bowser Jr. has been heavily requested.

Pakky

Smash Hero
Wow.... Hype is dead for me.

No Zelda Newcomer?
No Donkey Kong Newcomer??
No Metroid Newcomer???
No Mewtwo????
Falcondorf
SF & Mother getting one rep cut meanwhile KI gets 2
You know what man I feel you I'll wait for the Wii U version because this is garbage, the roster has it good spots, but man apologists need to go somewhere because any way you slice it some things just don't make sense.

Last edited:

bballstar23

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-2383-6686-1312

I'm not sure if Sakurai will be the Director next time around, but that might be more due to him stepping down rather than getting fired. I do believe he may have shot himself in the foot with the inclusion of Dark Pit, especially given the negative attention he and Dr. Mario are receiving from the fans. Though I think everyone will eventually get over it once they get their hands on the game. It just seems like a lot of focus was placed on emphasizing newer and more recent characters/franchises, meaning a lot of the characters who were heavily requested for years got shelved in favor of those.

EDIT: Just so my words aren't misconstrued, by newer I also mean franchises that are new to Smash such as Punch Out, Duck Hunt, Mega Man, etc.

Last edited:

ZecaOMestre

Smash Apprentice
Well, I don't want to be that guy who says "told ya", but yeaah

I, for one, am really happy with the roster. Although I'm sad to see Ice Climbers, Lucas, Wolf and Snake go, I believe they are the least necessary Brawl characters in a Nintendo All-Star game. I think that everyone who was expecting Ridley and is now disapointed brought it to themselves. I mean, Sakurai showed us a Ridley shadow while talking about Stage Bosses, and people really think he was teasing him as a playable character?
As for Mewtwo, I'm sad to see he did not make it again, but that too was expected. The only characters I thought for sure were in and were not are Chorus Kids and Dixie. Still, DHD is a great character and Bowser Jr looks like really fun, so I'm really happy with the roster and looking forward to it lauching here

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Welp.... At least I still got my Toon Link! c:

And then there is Ness, Villager, Palutena and Rosalina too. Guess that will do.

I am a little surprised Mewtwo didn't return though....

Pakky

Smash Hero
I'm not sure if Sakurai will be the Director next time around, but that might be more due to him stepping down rather than getting fired. I do believe he may have shot himself in the foot with the inclusion of Dark Pit, especially given the negative attention he and Dr. Mario are receiving from the fans. Though I think everyone will eventually get over it once they get their hands on the game. It just seems like a lot of focus was placed on emphasizing newer and more recent characters/franchises, meaning a lot of the characters who were heavily requested for years got shelved in favor of those.

EDIT: Just so my words aren't misconstrued, by newer I also mean franchises that are new to Smash such as Punch Out, Duck Hunt, Mega Man, etc.
But still the exclusion of Mewtwo is just strange.

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
Alph plays EXACTLY the same as olimar. Literally if he used rock pikmin, stronger attacks,then he would get a character slot(as funny/stupid as that sounds

Lucina-Balanced blade(I didn't see the stream when they unlocked her, so I'm not sure if there is anything else like being faster)
Dr. Mario-Stronger, pills, tornado instead of FLUDD
Dark Pit- PURPLE ARROWS:awesome:, diagonal up special(someone correct me on this, hamayama used up b with regular pit and it was vertical, I don't know if you can change the direction), certain moves are slightly different

TL;DR they had slight alterations to their stats/movesets that it warranted a character slot, Alph doesn't have any stat/moveset changes so he is literally just an alt.
I have to disagree and say that Alph could be a semi-clone of Olimar if given the same priority that Dark Pit received. I'm questioning why Dark Pit was promoted and Alph was not. Especially considering that Kid Icarus already received a newcomer while Pikmin did not. I believe Pikmin is a more successful series and also is having a short movie released sometime in the future. It would seem fair to promote Alph before Dark Pit but ones not from KI so.....

Last edited:

Crescendo

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, I'm just trying to be optimistic here. Ridley very well could continue be seen as an "impossibility" [laughs] and if K. Rool doesn't appear in any future games there's a good chance he wouldn't be added. I just hope he gives into the requests and adds them anyway.
I would argue that if he did tip toe around Ridley because he legitimately didn't know how to make him playable and wanted to delay the inevitable boss reveal, he's probably never getting in a Smash game.
No idea if it applies to K. Rool as well, but the only way I can see in Smash is that he becomes a main part of the DK series again through the Retro games. But even that could be difficult. At worst, Lord Frederick from TF becomes the new main villain and gets in before him not that I would mind that but it would still kinda suck for his fanbase.

Deathcarter

Smash Lord
Disappointing that there aren't any other characters but I'm mostly over it since I got Robin, Ike, and Solo Charizard and Mewtwo was the only missing character I hadn't given up after the videos leaked.

The only two thing I'm miffed about is the Ridley tease as Sakurai would have saved us a LOT of trouble and frustration in the long run by just confirming him as a boss and Shulk being on the 6th row (Seriously, why not just put him at the end of the 5th row? Jesus.).

Pakky

Smash Hero
I would argue that if he did tip toe around Ridley because he legitimately didn't know how to make him playable and wanted to delay the inevitable boss reveal, he's probably never getting in a Smash game.
No idea if it applies to K. Rool as well, but the only way I can see in Smash is that he becomes a main part of the DK series again through the Retro games. But even that could be difficult. At worst, Lord Frederick from TF becomes the new main villain and gets in before him not that I would mind that but it would still kinda suck for his fanbase.
"Looks at project M and modders " That's pretty sad then.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Well disapointing but im still very very happy with the roster

But guys remember DLc is still possible so mewtwo, ridley, king k rool may just be dlc

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom