• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Doubles Ranking List

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
u sure u know how to do the formulas and everything? lol w/e

this would be cool if u know how to do it

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero
2 points that may prove this to be difficult:

1. Do you know how many possible teams there are? Bum and Snakeee did quite well just recently with a DK + Zamus team. How often do you think that team combo happens? Plus, what happens when someone changes characters after a match? Like M2K and Azen playing DSF and Edrees at HOBO11, where they played MK + Lucario/MK instead of just one or the other. Would you rank them separately? Give MK + Lucario then MK + MK half points?

2. If you decide to not rank this by pairs, and instead rank this by characters alone, then you're probably making the right decision. But there is also a problem with that. What if (and I'm making this up) Lucas is horrible in teams, but if paired with G&W he becomes an absolute beast?

While I applaud your dedication to try and do something like this, Ankoku's ranking system does not logistically work with doubles very well.

2 points that may prove this to be difficult:

1. Do you know how many possible teams there are? Bum and Snakeee did quite well just recently with a DK + Zamus team. How often do you think that team combo happens? Plus, what happens when someone changes characters after a match? Like M2K and Azen playing DSF and Edrees at HOBO11, where they played MK + Lucario/MK instead of just one or the other. Would you rank them separately? Give MK + Lucario then MK + MK half points?

2. If you decide to not rank this by pairs, and instead rank this by characters alone, then you're probably making the right decision. But there is also a problem with that. What if (and I'm making this up) Lucas is horrible in teams, but if paired with G&W he becomes an absolute beast?

While I applaud your dedication to try and do something like this, Ankoku's ranking system does not logistically work with doubles very well.
1: 1561 possible teams I believe and to your last question yes I would rank them separately as teams so each would half points

2: : Depending on the results that are received I will decide how to rank them based on the results. It is more likely for me to rank them as a double so I will likely limit the main ranking to the top 75 ish (which is not a particularly large amount) and remotely keep track of other pairs in case they rise but it is likely it seems to me to have at most 100 I will have to keep track of regularly which again isn't a particularly large number

If it,however does derail, or it becomes unmanageable i will ask for a lock instead of letting it cripple along.

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
This will require a lot more work than Ankokus rankings JFYI. You not only have to calculate all the points but also have to spread them according to the team constilations...have fun

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
I think a different way of viewing the results may help with this endeavor.

Ankoku's list is useful because it presents the data in a visually easy way. In 1v1s, it's best to have it as a list. In this case, a list would be long and unwieldy. Therefore, I propose a different presentation. A chart.

It would be a complicated process. For one thing, you'd have to calculate the point totals for every team, then for each character individually. Then, you would have to order the chart according to each character's individual performance. This would be likely to put all of the best teams in the upper left hand corner, and less good ones in the bottom right. Any anomalies would hopefully stand out.

You could also rank each team into various rankings, and color code it, so that highly ranked teams using low-ranked characters would stand out even more.

Good luck with this, though. It looks like a hell of a lot of work, and if you can pull it off, then you're basically amazing.

The Real Inferno

Smash Hero
Ha well I don't mind providing you with your first results I guess if you're serious and want to try this. It could be quite neat to have a list for doubles.

Wichita Bi-weekly
9/20/08
$10 per Team
10 teams
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=190884

1: Ky (Pit/Marth) & Domo (Metaknight)
2: Affinity (Metaknight) & Karmacide (Snake)
3: InfernoRage (Donkey Kong/ROB/Wolf) & Clel (Marth/Fox)
4: Attackstorm (Falco) & Zeton (Fox)

Crizthakidd

Smash Champion
this is why u have to think of your own ways of dealing with a ranking lists for teams and not copy someoens singles one lol

Rhambo

Smash Apprentice
Me, a Donkey Kong, and a DDD got first in a tournament with 48 people and a pot of $480.
(It was a doubles tournament- 24 teams.) (9/02/2008)

Everyone flaming the guy-

stfu and let him do his work :laugh:

J4pu

Smash Champion
I think a different way of viewing the results may help with this endeavor.

Ankoku's list is useful because it presents the data in a visually easy way. In 1v1s, it's best to have it as a list. In this case, a list would be long and unwieldy. Therefore, I propose a different presentation. A chart.

It would be a complicated process. For one thing, you'd have to calculate the point totals for every team, then for each character individually. Then, you would have to order the chart according to each character's individual performance. This would be likely to put all of the best teams in the upper left hand corner, and less good ones in the bottom right. Any anomalies would hopefully stand out.

You could also rank each team into various rankings, and color code it, so that highly ranked teams using low-ranked characters would stand out even more.

Good luck with this, though. It looks like a hell of a lot of work, and if you can pull it off, then you're basically amazing.

The Chart is a good idea, but arranging from best teams top left to worst bot right would cause you to end up with a TON of problems
for example, let's say Snake does awesome with Lucas, Lucas does terrible with Fox, Fox does great with Falco, and Falco does terrible with Snake, you end up not being able to place them by rank
Instead I would propose color coding the scores of each rank in the chart and then have a key above or below the chart to give more information

@ whoever said Luigi isn't in green, first lol, 2nd that would mean every character would have to be in green (when they are paired with luigi)

I really hope this idea goes well since doubles are a bit of a mystery to me atm.

*waits patiently for somebody to make a "best vids of each doubles team" thread /joking

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
The Chart is a good idea, but arranging from best teams top left to worst bot right would cause you to end up with a TON of problems
for example, let's say Snake does awesome with Lucas, Lucas does terrible with Fox, Fox does great with Falco, and Falco does terrible with Snake, you end up not being able to place them by rank
That's why you rank each character individually by how well they do in teams, then cross-reference the list with itself so you can break down their performance.

Adapt

Smash Lord
Interesting project, but it will be a lot of work.

Idea for organization:

You could set it up like the character matchup chart only instead of a matchup it is a pair of characters. Cut it in half diagonally (you don't need to have 2 blocks for the same pair)

I know this does not actually "rank" the teams, but it would give valuable information as to what would be the best team-mate for a specific character.

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
Interesting project, but it will be a lot of work.

Idea for organization:

You could set it up like the character matchup chart only instead of a matchup it is a pair of characters. Cut it in half diagonally (you don't need to have 2 blocks for the same pair)

I know this does not actually "rank" the teams, but it would give valuable information as to what would be the best team-mate for a specific character.
This is exactly what my idea is. Stop stealing my good ideas, Adapt. <3

akkon888

Smash Journeyman
Instead of this:
Snake+Metaknight=10 wins
Snake+Ike=4 wins
Snake+CF=6 wins
Metaknight+Ike=8 wins
Metaknight+CF=7 wins
CF+Ike=9 wins

Do this, for each character:
Snake=20 wins (10 from MK, 4 from Ike, 6 from CF)
Metaknight=25 (Same analogy)
Ike=21 wins
CF=22 wins

Do you see how I got this? If you use this instead of the classic combos, YOU will have an easier life. Trust me on this. It is so much easier.

Top Bottom