• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Frame Data

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCOTU

Smash Hero
This thread will define a template to use for describing all the data on an attack, and describe what each element in the template is, and how to find that element in a standardized way. Additionally, when individual threads are made to contain all the info for a given character, they will be linked here to keep track of/ centralize them.

For finding any frame data, the correct way is to capture video in either 60(59.94)fps or in interlaced 30(29.97)fps (which can be de-interlaced into 60fps via a bob doubler filter). Using video editing software such as the open source freeware VirtualDub, you can count any frames that need counting.

Template

General
Jump Speed: #F
Dash Length: #F
Run Speed: #
Falling Speed: #
Falling Acceleration: #
Knockback Resistance 1: # (see knockback version Colin)
Knockback Resistance 2: # (see knockback Colin model)

Attack
Move Name
Visual Description (maybe picture)
Input
Hits on Frame: #F
Duration: #F
(aerials only)Landing Lag: #F (#F) - second #F is non-IASA landing lag
Hitlag: #F
Blockstun: #F
Blockhitlag: #F
Base Damage: #%
Knockback:
Angle (degrees above forward): # [range = -180<x<=180]
Base: #
Growth Rate/ variance: #
(Element: element)

Grabs
Grab Name
Description (Maybe picture)
Input
Grabs on: #F

Rolls/ Dodges/ Wakeup options/ Edge returns/ etc...
Move Name
Description (maybe picture)
Input
Invincible on: #F (maybe through #F... maybe)

Input
Directions are "Forward", "Up", "Down", "Back", and "Neutral"
Attacks to combine with a direction are "Tilt", "Smash", "Special" or "B", "Throw", "Air", "Dash" (doesn't take a direction)
"Jab" refers to a standing neutral A
From the edge there is a "Slow Edge Getup" (>=100%) and a "Fast Edge Getup" (<100%)
From a fallen position there is a "Front Wakeup" (lying on front side) and a "Back Wakeup" (lying on back)
Names involving a direction can be abbreviated by taking the first letter of the direction and adding it to the attack type.

List of All attacks with proper names:
Jab
2nd Jab
3rd Jab
Rapid Jab
Forward Tilt
Up Tilt
Down Tilt
Forward Smash
Up Smash
Down Smash
Neutral Air
Forward Air
Back Air
Up Air
Down Air
Z Air (some character's tethers have a hitbox)
Dash Attack
Neutral B
Forward B
Up B
Down B
Forward Throw
Back Throw
Up Throw
Down Throw
Front Wakeup Attack
Back Wakeup Attack
Fast Edge Getup Attack
Slow Edge Getup Attack

Hits On
This is the first frame the attack starts to hit on. Frame 1 is the first frame of the animation of the attack.

Duration
This is the total number of frames the attack lasts. You can buffer a Shield in most cases to see when an attack ends. When the shield is first visible is 2 frames after the end of the attack.

Hitlag
This is the number of frames of freezeframe animation when an attack connects. The first frame of hitlag is the frame that the attack connects, the last frame is the frame before the attack animation resumes. Hitlag affects both the attacker and the attackee.

BlockHitlag
This is the number of frames of freezeframe on the animation of a shield when an attack hits it. The shielder does not slide during this time. The first frame is when the attack hits the shield, the last is the frame before the shield starts sliding.

Blockstun
This is the number of frames after shield hitlag that the shielder cannot unshield in. Simply release the shield button as soon as your shield is hit and count the number of frames from when shield hitlag is done until you can start dropping your shield.

Base Damage
In VS mode (NOT TRAINING) hit someone when they're at 0% (so there's no hidden decimal error that's not built into the attack). The percent they end at is the Base Damage.

Knockback Angle
in training mode, set cpu = jiggs (pretty floaty so gravity has very little effect in the first frame after hitlag)
set the jiggs to 999%. set her standing on the edge of a platform and hit her while capturing video. In frame by frame, find the frame after hitlag. From that frame you can find the angle at which the opponent is sent. These angles are measured in degrees above forward, which means that if you draw a line from the hitter straight in front of him, that's 0 deg, straight up is 90, straight down is -90, and directly behind (for say, a bair) is 180. If the character turns around in the attack, "forward" refers to the direction prior to the attack. Pro Tip: DON'T have the jiggs DI.

Knockback Base & Growth

Growth is found using this equation:

g = (f - m) / e

where g is the growth, m is the knockback mario takes at 0% (before the hit), e is any percent, and f is the knockback taken by mario at e% before the attack.

in a new VS game, hit a mario at 0% with a non-stale attack. End the game. In the mario's stats screen find "Mas Launch Speed" this is m

start a new VS game, shoot mario with a fox laser until he is at some % (this % is e). Hit him with the non-stale attack. End the game, check his launch speed, this is f.

subtract m from f, and then divide by e to get the growth.

now that you have the growth,

Base Knockback is found by taking m and subtracting d * g from it, where d is the damage the non-stale attack does.

aka

*NOTE* NEEDS TO BE DECIDED
base knockback = m - d * g

OR

base knockback = m
*/NOTE*

FOR FIXED KNOCKBACK ATTACKS

Base Knockback is just how much knockback Mario takes

and Variance is
V = (K - B) / R1
where V is variance, K is the knockback that character takes, and R1 is that character's Knockback Resistance 1

So find the knockback the move does on Mario, then find it on some other character, subtract the Mario one from the other character one, and then divide by the other character's Knockback Resistance 1

Element
I'm not entirely sure what all the elements are, nor who has weaknesses/ resistances to what elements, but I do know that Ivysaur has a weakness to element "fire" and squirtle has a resistance to it. If an attack has a 1.1 multiplier to the expected knockback on either of these (1/1.1 in case of a resistance) then that attack has the element that the attackee is weak/strong against.

Kirk

Smash Champion
Looks like I'll be having to reformat my Ike data thread. :o

Also, will we be adding other things like...

Standing/Dashing/Pivot Grab
Grab Pummel
All the Dodges(Total Duration, Invincibility, etc.)
All the Edge actions less than/greater than 100%(Invincibility, Roll, Stand, Jump, etc.)
All the Wakeup actions Front/Back(Invincibility, Roll, Stand, etc.)
Tripping stuffs(Duration, Roll, Stand, Attack, etc.)

That's all I can think of for now...

SCOTU

Smash Hero
Already had the the edge attacks and wakeup attacks. As for dodges, i guess i should add that, and i somehow managed to forget to put grabs in there, especially after meaning to.

Levitas

the moon
Dibs on the psi kids and I'll also do marth and ROB if nobody does it. Though I believe marth has frame data done already.

I have some data on the psi kids already, but I want to double check some stuff.

Kirk

Smash Champion
I know you had the wakeup/edge attacks listed already. I just wanted to make sure the other actions besides attacking were included...such as rolling, standing, jumping, etc.

More stuffs:

Jumping(Duration/Airborne on frame __)
Short Hop/Full Hop Duration
Second/Double Jump stuff?
Item throwing frames/durations
Teching Durations
'Missed Tech' Durations(Before the wakeup options...the name escapes me atm)
Hard/Soft Landing frames(Though I think they are the same for each character?)

I don't know if all of this is even necessary...but if you want to make the list super complete... xD

Mmac

Smash Lord
I guess I'll do Yoshi. Maybe Ganondorf too, but I think there is already Frame Data for him

Can't really think of anything else that Kirk didn't already suggested

SCOTU

Smash Hero
Jumping times is good, same with item throw duration if it doesn't vary by item, jump duration is a pretty worthless stat imo. Came in handy for melee research like... once, and that had to do with shield pressure, something that's not worth doing in brawl. Teching duration vary strength of attack iirc hard/soft landings are 17/34 across the board iirc.

Kirk

Smash Champion
More questions...

For the 'Duration' you say that you can buffer a shield in most cases when the attack ends. Wouldn't this be the IASA (Interuptable As Soon As) Frame? In some attacks, the total animation length goes longer than when you can first perform an action, which is what I thought the 'Duration' should be. For example, Ike's Upsmash can be interupted on frame 67, but if you don't perform an action, Ike returns to his neutral stance on frame 87, which is technically the total animation length.

Should there be an IASA value and a total Duration value for the attacks? Or did you not include it because you thought it wasn't necessary?

Also, from what I understand, you can see shield animation start and the shield itself(small as it may be) on frame 1, but the shield cannot take an attack until the next frame...frame 2. Or am I wrong in this?

Yay? Nay? Just trying to clear some things up.

SCOTU

Smash Hero
I just used the IASA frame becuase that's more or less the duration that anyone cares about, since that's when you can start taking an action again. And yeah, you see a tiny shield on frame 1, but i was refering to the whole shield on frame 2

Kirk

Smash Champion
Gotcha.

Maybe its just me, but I still feel both an IASA and a Duration value should be included for completeness sake. Even though it's basically an unecessary value, it might be good to see the difference between the two, if any.

*shrug*

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero
Does the duration value hold any importance at all? In my opinion, the only numbers that would truly matter in a competitive setting would be the IASA.

Kirk

Smash Champion
I only suggested it to make the frame data more 'complete.' But you are right, there really is no 'good' reason to have a total duration value. IASA is definitely more important.

I'm sometimes anal about having every little detail. But in the end it would probably make the list less confusing and more concise.

...I gotta stop lurking and get back to work. xD

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Since IASA is now interruptible by **** near everything (excluding maybe stand up and crouch), I've long been considering just counting the IASA frame as the "true" duration.

SCOTU

Smash Hero
Since the IASA is the point where you can take another action, that's the effective ending point of the move, the rest (up to the "real duration") is just some extra animation after the end to make little kids feel good about themselves.

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero
Then its settled, the IASA is our definition of the true duration of the attacks. Now, what about finding values for staling? I'm personally rather curious to know how much frame advantage changes on staling, and how much each subsequent usage of the attack changes these values.

Also, I heard a long time ago that, through someone else's research, attacks will never return to 100% full knockback if you use it even once on a given stock. Even if you do hundreds of other attacks to unstale the move. At the time, I was sworn to secrecy, but I think sufficient time has passed and this is a prime opportunity to reveal this information. Can I get a confirmation on this? I'd hate to imagine that it isn't actually true, as that has been part of my game for quite some time now.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Technically, all attacks start at 105% full knockback anyway.

SCOTU

Smash Hero
ColinJF has already figured out how much staling affects damage and knockback, plz refer to the knockback thread for that.

@ankoku: technically, it doesn't matter whether you label it as 100% and have what single player starts at as less than 100% or using 105% as starting for vs. It's the same thing. It just changes your frame of reference. I'll confirm/ disprove the permanent knockback decay later today when a friend's not playing GH4 on my wii :p

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero
Are you talking about this Panda?

http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=6035854&postcount=427

edit: frame stuff on bottom of post
Yes, that is exactly what I'm referring to. Is there a specific formula to how staling changes frame advantage? Do different moves have different properties? How much staling causes frame advantage to change? There are tons of questions that are yet unanswered, as far as I know.

Also, Scotu, I'm hesitant to use any of Colin's numbers. When I quoted Colin once in the SBR, I had quite the negative response:
Ok I just need to get this out. I know Colin from another community. He may provide us with some useful data, but he is an idiot. I have never met, in my entire history of using the internet, anyone else more of an idiot than he is. Please, take this into consideration when ever looking at his posts. Stop and ask yourself, does this make sense, or is he being an idiot? I'll give an example.

He is honestly convinced that PK Thunder 2 is the best move in the game, and he will back it up with data and "Statistical Evidence," no matter what you say he'll fall back on some weird stats that you don't want to look at because they don't make sense.

And he thinks Ness has the advantage in like every matchup.
This is so true. The guy is an idiot. He came on the G&W boards and pissed them off so much that someone PM'ed me and asked me to shut him up. So I went in the thread they were arguing in and eventually it led into him trying to convince me that G&W has trouble edgeguarding ness and that the match-up is even.

It was soooo horrible. You have to read some of his posts to understand :/.
I need to step in and agree with X about Colin. His analysis cannot be trusted. He thinks he is incredibly intelligent and that the "numbers" always make him right. He should be completely ignored over the course of this discussion.
Names have been changed to protect the innocent.

Levitas

the moon
Staling and frame advantage changes shouldn't be too hard to find out, and I suspect that it follows one formula based on damage entirely for all characters (modifiers for elements, of course).

SCOTU

Smash Hero
ok, well then, for attacks don't include anything on knockback yet, since what i templated was Colin's model since i'm more lazy than him and just blindly trusted his model over mine. I'll have to compare his model against mine for accuracy before we pick which numbers to use.

as for blockstun and blockhitlag, in melee they were both based off a formula that's only independent variable was the damage the attack dealt. I suspect that won't have changed much, just the formula.

SCOTU

Smash Hero
Ok, i just tested the decay resetting.

I had two DK's and a fox. I usmashed the first DK at 0%, then i drill kicked it 11 times (a few extra for good measure), then i usmashed the other DK. Both times, the knockback was 2233 for a 0% undecayed Fox usmash on DK on the same stock.

Sorry Panda, looks like you've been throwing off your game for quite some time now.

SCOTU

Smash Hero
ok, We'll need to include both IASA and Full duration for aerials, since you can do an aerial after a recovery move and not be able to IASA the landing lag. I put that # in parenthases after the IASA duration. This is also quite easy to test because you can just buffer a shield the same way you did for IASA landing, except after sweetspotting the edge and not landing again.

For any other attack, however, only the IASA matters.

Kirk

Smash Champion
Full duration as in how long the aerial lasts in the air without touching the ground? Like the airborne IASA frame as opposed to the landing IASA frame. To test that one can buffer a jump as soon as possible I believe...

Which also reminds me...should we include another value for aerials: The earliest auto-cancel frame(if applicable)?

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Aerials have two autocancel windows - frame 0 to frame X, and frame Y to final frame. While it's practically impossible to find the exact number with the current resources we have, generally we'll want to list both X and Y.

Kirk

Smash Champion
Two autocancel windows...I'm unaware of this. I was always under the impression that an aerial can autocancel anytime from frame X(some point in the middle of the aerial's animation) to the final frame...if said aerial can autocancel at all.

And yeah, it'd be very difficult to collect accurate data for this value. The best hope at the moment would be to do trial and error and with some luck be able to get the correct frames.

SCOTU

Smash Hero
I even included the format for labeling autocancels in the terms sticky and how it had 2 values <_<

I'd say don't worry about autocancel values because we have no solid technique, we'd just be guessing around and that's too not good.

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero
Ok, i just tested the decay resetting.

I had two DK's and a fox. I usmashed the first DK at 0%, then i drill kicked it 11 times (a few extra for good measure), then i usmashed the other DK. Both times, the knockback was 2233 for a 0% undecayed Fox usmash on DK on the same stock.

Sorry Panda, looks like you've been throwing off your game for quite some time now.

Let me get you the actual quote of what he said...
I originally thought the secret to ROB lay in his nair... but using it all the time wasn't as good as I thought. I later found that moves, once used on a life, NEVER EVER UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES go back to their 100% power. I'm not sure the % weakened, but if you do one nair and then one zillion d-tilts, your nair will never go back to full power. It caps earlier, at like 80 or 90% or something.
This is a source I trust, so could you run one more test, perhaps with an aerial this time? I'm inclined to believe you more than him, but I'd rather not find out that an important part of my game is no longer valid >_<

Steel

Where's my Jameson?
BRoomer
Where to start with this? It's a big project.. better to start sooner than later.

Assign people to have so many moves done in a week? Assign them a character to be done in 2-3 weeks? (I understand it can be done faster than this, but I'm giving us lax time since we have lives).

etcccccccc

3GOD

Smash Ace
Finding the auto-cancel window isn't that difficult. It just takes a few minutes of trial and error analysis (maybe 5 to 10 minutes per move). I've already found auto-cancels for a few characters.

However, I prefer not bothering with finding the first auto-cancel window since it is usually (always?) before the hit box of the move comes out.

Duration
This is the total number of frames the attack lasts. You can buffer a Shield in most cases to see when an attack ends. When the shield is first visible is 2 frames after the end of the attack.
Why are you saying 2 frames after the end of the attack? It should be that the shield is visible 1 frame after the end of the attack.

For instance, I just tested with Zero Suit Samus's Dtilt...She can shield OR jab on frame 26, meaning that her Dtilt has Duration of 25 frames.

Hitlag
This is the number of frames of freezeframe animation when an attack connects. The first frame of hitlag is the frame that the attack connects, the last frame is the frame before the attack animation resumes. Hitlag affects both the attacker and the attackee.

BlockHitlag
This is the number of frames of freezeframe on the animation of a shield when an attack hits it. The shielder does not slide during this time. The first frame is when the attack hits the shield, the last is the frame before the shield starts sliding.

Blockstun
This is the number of frames after shield hitlag that the shielder cannot unshield in. Simply release the shield button as soon as your shield is hit and count the number of frames from when shield hitlag is done until you can start dropping your shield.
Why is there a need to separate BlockHitlag and Blockstun? Why not just combine them into one quantity called Blockstun or something?

Also, for testing Blockstun, it's probably better to jump out of the shield or do a shield grab since these animations are easier to see than shield dropping (at least for me).

SCOTU

Smash Hero
IASA: buffering will take 1 frame to enter the input, and 1 frame to show the shield, iirc

BlockHitLag and BlockStun change at different rates with respect to damage dealt. Also, i'm not sure, but one might be dropped when you powershield, that's how it worked in melee.

Steel

Where's my Jameson?
BRoomer
I don't want to screw these numbers up for leafgreen so I'm going to make sure of my method here...

When calculating hit stun (when a character is sent flying) what is the best way to determine the number of frames of hit stun? Just spam A until an aerial comes out? Spam air dodge? Also, is hit stun variable or does it always have a set amount of hit stun pending the percent and how much a move is decayed?

Thanks

SCOTU

Smash Hero
hit stun is weird in brawl because it's different depending on if you try to break out with a air dodge, an attack, or a special.

Hitstun is based on the knockback of an attack.

ColinJF

Smash Ace
The number of frames of hitstun is a multiple of launch speed.

Hitstun prevents the use of double jumps and specials for its whole duration, so you could use either of those to ascertain when it's over. However, I'd be interested in knowing when you can use an air dodge and an aerial (they are different times) for a variety of cases as well, to try to figure out the relation between those times and the hitstun

3GOD

Smash Ace
IASA: buffering will take 1 frame to enter the input, and 1 frame to show the shield, iirc
So, for my example of ZSS's Dtilt, you would say the duration is 24? I think it's easier for most people (just my opinion) to consider the duration as 25 since ZSS actually takes action on frame 26.

Steel

Where's my Jameson?
BRoomer
Marth's fthrow on wolf:
0%
Frames until DJ: 31
Frames until Aerial: 31
Frames until Air Dodge: 31

20%
Frames until DJ: 33
Frames until Aerial: 33
Frames until Air Dodge: 14

Interesting...

infomon

Smash Scientist
Is the OP up-to-date with the additions suggested by the first page etc.? There were some suggestions (ex. tripping #F) which I wondered about.

General
Jump Speed: #F
Dash Length: #F
Run Speed: #
Falling Speed: #
Falling Acceleration: #
Knockback Resistance 1: # (see knockback version Colin)
Knockback Resistance 2: # (see knockback Colin model)
Fastfall Speed should be added.

What exactly is Jump Speed, I mean, are we just talking about the #F to get off the ground?
I don't understand Dash Length, and I'm not sure how to collect speeds/accelerations.

Also, dashes are.... strange. We probably want to figure out the #F of each characters' initial-dash before they go into a foxtrot/run, as well as for a dash-turnaround. But it gets tricky; dash-turnaround has different states which can be controlled by different inputs.... Furthermore, Sonic's foxtrot's length (distance and time) can be controlled by tilting the control stick; we call this a "grind". I'm not sure what could be measured about it, but I wonder if it exists at all for other characters, or if they could have their foxtrot distances / #F measured.

SCOTU

Smash Hero
I plan on completely remaking this section by section right before each section of the project will take place.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom