• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Hitboxes - HARDCORE DOTS EDITION

bloodpeach

Smash Journeyman
Individual frames can be extracted from GIFs. It's a pain though. I don't like doing it. I may get sidetracked and look into other web-based hitbox viewing things though. Or maybe I'll start doing my actual job...

Sangoku

Smash Master
What I mean is I doubt the GIFs where made by recording every frame of the gameplay. Simply because a video is generally not recording at more than 30 FPS whereas you'd need 60 for smash and because there's no way to slow down pj64 to record every frame.

Fireblaster

Smash Lord
I used FRAPS to slow the emulator down to 15 fps and then recorded all the GIF's at that speed since FRAPS forces whatever it is recording to slow down in framerate to the recording speed. However I do agree that it is still possible it may have skipped a frame or two and if you want to help build a truly comprehensive guide to hitboxes with frame data, go with sangoku's project.

I'm gonna keep updating this thread with my own GIF's just because I want this table to exist as a quick access guide with easy to view images from anywhere as long as you have internet on any device.

Sangoku

Smash Master
oh i didnt even think of that. i assumed they were done in mupen or something that allowed frame advance.
Well the whole problem is we never figured out a way to play it in Mupen. Thus the excitement when Madao finally found a way to have it there...

I used FRAPS to slow the emulator down to 15 fps and then recorded all the GIF's at that speed since FRAPS forces whatever it is recording to slow down in framerate to the recording speed. However I do agree that it is still possible it may have skipped a frame or two and if you want to help build a truly comprehensive guide to hitboxes with frame data, go with sangoku's project.
Oh I didn't know that was the way to do it. Then it's more accurate than what I thought.

I'm gonna keep updating this thread with my own GIF's just because I want this table to exist as a quick access guide with easy to view images from anywhere as long as you have internet on any device.
Yes I agree, that's a good argument for keeping it and finishing it. But what I meant is we should prioritize the other project since it would still give more info.

Madao

Really it's a matter of preference between whether to do gif's or individual images. Gif's are easier to do, more accessable, and smaller filesize, but images are better quality and you can do transparency with that frame display program.

In GIMP you can easily extract images from gif's but most people optimize their gif's so it removes color from frames that have the same exact color in the same spot. As far as the frameskip problem goes, you can generally tell when there's a frameskip. I noticed when I recorded too fast, the animation would look more choppy. You can screenshot frame by frame and turn it into a gif. If you decide to go that route, I recommend screenshotting in bitmap format so that you don't lose as much image quality when you convert it to a gif. You could make gif's and do separate images at the same time, but it would take extra work lol. Hotkeys and scripts are a must if you want to do it fast. Having a faster computer also speeds up the process.

The only thing I still want to improve on is image quality. I can do all of Captain Falcon this week, and do a few changes to Fox.

I'll also take suggestions on what colors to pick for each character I do.

Edit: Well who knew... It turns out that the issue with my captain falcon was my rom. I noticed that Captain Falcon looked fine on my JPN rom lol, so I went and got a new rom. I am writing a moveset data extracting program so I can compare the moveset data of different regions.

Fireblaster

Smash Lord
Finished samus at the request of cobre
Added for samus:
  • Air Up B
  • Down smash
  • Low, Normal, High angled fsmash
  • Ground B (uncharged)
  • Crouch
  • Face up wake up
  • Face down wake up
In other fighting games, attacking as a character is standing up is referred to as their wake up. So from now on to avoid confusion I'll refer to ledge get up attacks as ledge attack and the non-ledge get up attack as wake up.

mixa

Banned via Warnings
Samus is finished for the Frame Display, cobr. Just FYI

I hate your nomenclature, Fireblaster. Never.

Fireblaster

Smash Lord
Samus is finished for the Frame Display, cobr. Just FYI

Don't act like the two threads are competing. If I really wanted to I could have finished this table a long time ago since it's much easier to finish. The two threads have different purposes too. Frame Display will be useful for those that really want to know the exact details of what's going on with these attacks. My thread will be useful for quick and easy access like being able to view any attack on any smartphone or showing a friend on his computer.

I hate your nomenclature, Fireblaster. Never.
Deal with it nerd, the smash community could learn a thing or two about cleaning up its glossary and terms. Notice how many people lost points in sangoku's hitbox quiz because there was confusion between ledge getup and "normal" getup.

EDIT: Cleaned up the table to make it more compact and easier to read

Cobrevolution

Smash Master
javi's response is ****ing gold
thanks for finishing my bbygrl

i don't know what frame display is mixa

The Star King

Smash Hero
Deal with it nerd, the smash community could learn a thing or two about cleaning up its glossary and terms. Notice how many people lost points in sangoku's hitbox quiz because there was confusion between ledge getup and "normal" getup
You mean ballin?

It's been "ledge attack" and "getup attack" forever idk why that confused him

ballin4life

Smash Hero
You mean ballin?

It's been "ledge attack" and "getup attack" forever idk why that confused him

hehe i didn't lose points for that I was more saying other people might have meant "ledge attack" when they said "getup attack", though I could of course be completely mistaken about that.

I guess I have called it "Falcon's 100% get up attack" before (instead of "100% ledge attack") so I have been contributing to the confusing terminology.

mixa

Banned via Warnings
I actually use that. After I saw the Fireblaster post I went there to see if it was updated already. It's way better than smashboards no-table formatting.

Puffer

Smash Apprentice
Um - I think all the links to the hitbox images are broken - I'm just getting ImageShack ad videos when I click them...can you please fix/update? Thanks!

Top Bottom