• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Idea Submission Thread

RedGamer

Smash Ace
Unless they're buffed in some way, all of those moves suck *** compared to their Melee counterparts. I'll take kicks over wing attacks any day.
I do mean if they're buffed. I wouldn't want to play brawl falco in P:M unless his moves are buffed, even if it's only a slight difference.

You talking aesthetically or functionally? Either way all he needs is Dair and Down/Nspec :troll:
:chuckle: yeah!
However, in terms of function, I'm just curious as to how it would change him.
It would be cool if we could play melee falco vs brawl falco to see how they fare against each other.

I always thought the idea of having 64, P:M, and Brawl styles of characters (where each applies) was interesting as hell, if not waaaaaaay more work than it was actually worth.

Kind of like a combination of the Styles from CvS2 and Old vs. New characters in ST.

Coastward

Smash Lord
I always thought the idea of having 64, P:M, and Brawl styles of characters (where each applies) was interesting as hell, if not waaaaaaay more work than it was actually worth.

Kind of like a combination of the Styles from CvS2 and Old vs. New characters in ST.
it would be really hard to balance that kind of style imo

Vashimus

Smash Master
N64 Pikachu vs P:M (Melee) Fox? Or Brawl Fox vs. N64 Falcon? Aaaaaawwwwwww ****! Think of all the matchups!

No.

MVP

Smash Ace
I know my ideas aren't very popular, but I'll share them again anyway.

Please excuse the crudity of this mock-up image, it's meant to interpret attack direction, range, and hitboxes. (The first one more than the second one).

MULTIPLE BEAMS system (you switch them via taunt buttons)

Samus really needs to adapat to other characters, and what bugs me is, she HAS the tools to do that. But Sakurai has sort of hindered her badly since the first game.
The ability to switch between beams would be the best way to raise her up a few tier levels, as her arm-cannon would now play a major role in her metagame.

BETTER ARM-CANON "FIRE" ATTACKS

Because her arm-canon NEEDS to shoot everytime she pulls the trigger (thing). Instead of small bursts of flame, she should actually shoot with these attacks.
I mean, if Samus is to remain a hard-to-kill-with character, at least make her a good damage racker!
If Snake can have a long-ranged uSmash, why not Samus? :p

I like this A LOT!

also, quick question:

Why isn't the idea submission thread divided into characters like it was on smashmods? It made idea submissions a LOT more productive and easier to navigate.

Vaerix

Smash Journeyman
Just because there were too many threads, so they were consolidated into one.
I dunno about productive, but almost every character that hasn't been released yet has been discussed to some degree. That and people tend to put the character they wanna talk about in the post title, so there's that.

#HBC | Joker

Space Marine
NNID
HBCJoker
3DS FC
1864-9780-3232
Yoshi is allowed to be different and still good. He's far from being the worst character in SSB64 and his recovery is just as bad there. I'd really like to see his design emulate that incarnation. DJC juggles, dair spikes, stupidly powerful smashes, etc. I've also heard that in PAL Melee his recovery isn't so bad because he's heavier and can't be hit out of his double jump until high percents. I hope they go that route rather than drastically changing his up-b. I'd be ok with using the egg roll for recovery and/or making up-b give him a slight boost, though.
You should take note that everyone not named Kirby, Jigglypuff, and Pikachu, has pretty terrible recovery range in smash64, so Yoshi not having a 3rd jump, but having armor on his dj actually makes his recovery par for the course. He can be pretty susceptible to gimps, but overall he recovers much better than, say, Link. That is no longer the case, as everyone else's recoveries have gotten much better. That said, Yoshi getting infinite upb hops (ala vBrawl) actually sets him up pretty well, you just have to be smart with him.

D

Deleted member

I really like that multiple beam system for Samus, but unfortunately I don't think it'll happen.

I personally think these changes would be cool and wouldn't give her too many extra options:

-Charge Shot charges like Sheik's needles (hold B to charge, shield to store the charge, you can charge it in the air).
If you just press B and release it right away, she'll rapidly fire 3 small shots instead of the usual one.

-Every 15th missile or so is an Ice Missile

Vashimus

Smash Master
I believe KayB made suggestion about Egg Roll renewing Yoshi's double jump when he uses it in the air and breaks out of it, like Falcon Kick.

:phone:

SunJester

Smash Ace
I'm not sure if it's even possible, but in Super Mario Galaxy 2 Yoshi has a set amount of time that he can use his "flutterjump", he can use it partially, and then use the rest of it later in the jump.

It might be really neat and different for Yoshi's recovery if he could choose when (while he is in the air) to use a certain "percentage" of his jump. I really think this would make his recovery better (especially when recovering high) and it might give him some interesting on stage options too.

Jandlebars

Still fallin'!
I believe KayB made suggestion about Egg Roll renewing Yoshi's double jump when he uses it in the air and breaks out of it, like Falcon Kick.

:phone:
Doesn't sound too bad, at least for Yoshi. It'd grant him even better recovery if you could cancel the Egg Roll before getting to the distance that a Falcon Kick or Wizard's Foot typically does, but I have no idea how much of an impact on balance it would have if he could cancel it more quickly than the aforementioned moves.

Kink-Link5

Smash Hero
I like how in SD remix it does a little hop afterward.

Little hop to aid in recovery+ledge sillies
Faster ending animation
No free fall when it ends
Can wallbomb with diminishing height each time

My input. Renewing double jumps always seemed odd to me, so I like to think of other recovery options where possible.

Swordplay

Smash Lord
Just a couple thoughts.

Some people are against taunting changing beams. What if it was only cosmetic. Taunt animation changes beams too. This way you are not changing her power shot too much

2 nd thought is I feel she should be a more moonlike and mobile spammer. What if hard forward b was missile and light tap was more of a quick hover dash using the jet pack this can be multi directional and even be used for recovery missiles multi directional to.

Lastly I'd love if she had a powerbomb by holding down b instead of tapping. It could be cool edgegaurd bit interrupt able because of low priority and you become immobile on use

RedGamer

Smash Ace
@vashimus
Brawl fox is exactly the same as melee fox in terms of moves (move properties and animations were nerfed), but brawl falco is COMPLETELY different from melee falco (in move properties AND in the moveset).
that's why I believe it would be awesome just to see what the difference is between the two. I was just wondering...

Sync8699

Smash Cadet
As a gaming analyst dedicated to P:M's success I feel I might have some useful info to contribute...

KIRBY: I think Kirby's specials should be different/have different properties based on which power he's absorbed. I'm sure it would take forever to finish him if this were the case, but it would be amazing if the power he's absorbed mattered more than just which neutral-B he had. Perhaps if he absorbed Charizard, Mario, Bowser, etc. his side-B would be a fireball rocket like in Return to Dreamland. Or if he absorbed Ice Climbers or Dedede he'd have a (stronger?) hammer instead. Obviously his normals need to be better as well...think 64. Kirby's my favorite Nintendo character...I just hope he's good!

YOSHI: I suppose DJC should work the same as it does for Ness/Lucas, although I like the idea that only the Earthbound characters can actually choose if they want to DJC. Yoshi should function the way he did in Melee - without the option to not DJC - but he should get super armor from DJCing. It would make replicating v3ctorman's play style a little easier for those of us who thought it was the coolest but hardest thing ever.

SAMUS: Keep all her gimmicks from Melee. Extended grapple, homing grapple, superwd, missile-cancelling, etc. BUT make her extended/homing grapple able to grab aerial targets. Make her homing missiles faster and her up-B a better comboing/anti-edgeguarding tool.

ICE CLIMBERS: Breaking out of grabs should not be more difficult due to damage taken while being held, only the damage the grabbed character was at upon being grabbed. Also, the desynched climber should not be able to grab while the first climber is holding/throwing.

OLIMAR: No idea.

META KNIGHT: Will he really even need to be changed much at all? With the Melee physics I feel like his over-poweredness won't matter so much.

KayB

Smash Master
BRoomer
Admittedly, that wasn't actually my idea. I just brought it up. That was an actual thing Yoshi used to have in the early builds of PM (v1 I believe) and I thought it was a nifty idea.

Also, I was playing YL in Melee another day when it occurred to me.... what if we gave Toon Link a wall jump?

V-K

Smash Ace
As a gaming analyst dedicated to P:M's success I feel I might have some useful info to contribute...

KIRBY: I think Kirby's specials should be different/have different properties based on which power he's absorbed. I'm sure it would take forever to finish him if this were the case, but it would be amazing if the power he's absorbed mattered more than just which neutral-B he had. Perhaps if he absorbed Charizard, Mario, Bowser, etc. his side-B would be a fireball rocket like in Return to Dreamland. Or if he absorbed Ice Climbers or Dedede he'd have a (stronger?) hammer instead. Obviously his normals need to be better as well...think 64. Kirby's my favorite Nintendo character...I just hope he's good!
I like this idea of improving the absorb-ability but it shouldn't be too complicated to code. What about giving Kirby better stats? Like absorbing Bowser makes him heavier, absorbing Fox makes him faster, absorbing Falco increases jump height etc.
So Kirby players basically need to copy their opponents strengths and use them against them. That would be sick.

But then you shouldn't be able to "punch" out Kirby's ability like you could in earlier games, that made the absorb-ability pretty useless.

Dinowulf

Smash Journeyman
YOSHI: I suppose DJC should work the same as it does for Ness/Lucas, although I like the idea that only the Earthbound characters can actually choose if they want to DJC. Yoshi should function the way he did in Melee - without the option to not DJC - but he should get super armor from DJCing. It would make replicating v3ctorman's play style a little easier for those of us who thought it was the coolest but hardest thing ever.

I seriously agree with this. I also have a few more suggestions. Yoshi's egg toss should be slighty faster when shooting. One of the biggest problems with Yoshi (melee/brawl) is that while there are charecters that Spam simple projectile's (Fox's lazer). Yoshi can't really fight back and doesn't have any options to deal with. I agree with the Super Armor during DJC. It's one of Yoshi's biggest moves he had from (64/Melee)

Juushichi

sugoi ~ sugoi ~
Idk, Yoshi could camp pretty freaking hard and eggs were one of the best projectiles in the game in Brawl.

delta-CAMP(cod) could tell you just as much.

JOE!

Smash Hero
lolwut @ Egg Toss being a bad move

Also, I know we're not supposed to do suggestions for existing roster, but Charizard's Nspec would be so much cooler as an Akuma-styled fireball.

Shadic

Alakadoof?
NNID
Shadoof
You know, people like to crap on Toon Link's recovery all the time.

...But Toon Link already can wall jump.

Sync8699

Smash Cadet
Yeah Yoshi's eggs don't need to be any better. Although, their color should vary depending on Yoshi's color for sure : )

Edit: Samus' extended grapple should be a little easier to activate too.

Litt

Samus
When is samus going to be released?!? I really want to get into project M, but still no normal samus :'(, any info about release date or anything please let me know. Thanks!

DocStrange

Smash Apprentice
I think it would be cool if you guys re-added Pokemon Trainer. Obviously the Pokes wouldn't be able to switch on the fly, but they would still be switched after getting KOed. I don't see how this would negatively impact balance and could be interesting as the opponent would have to adjust to fighting against a new character after each KO, but the player would have no control over which character he was using once the match starts. And since the player is forced to switch I can't imagine it making the individual Pokemon obsolete or even detracting from their use. Give it some thought, it would be an easy, interesting and non-intrusive way to add another character.

roymaster803

Smash Apprentice
Samus: Need some transcendent priority on her F-air and U-smash. This makes them better in clashes and is logical since you really can't hit fire. Fair would be a better approach tool with it and it gives her something to fight off characters that can out trade her missiles and projectiles. U-smash could use some animation work in the form of starting from a lower angle. For instance instead of the first hit coming out at a 45 degree angle make it 35 instead. It makes the move more optional against shorter characters. Fox, Falco, Wolf, would be able to be hit by it and paired with the new priority stated above it makes a good approach if missiles fail and the foe is in your face. Bombs still help but a better U-smash and Fair would be appreciated. Of course U-smash connecting all it's hits better would be needed to pull this off and I know I've stated my transcendent priority before, but I'm positive it's a good idea.

Jevedor

Smash Cadet
1. It would be great if Snake could move left and right when in his box, and his box would stay on until cancelled with jump, attack or shield. It doesnt provide him any extra defense and should move pretty slow. I dont thin it would be a balance issue, just a neat extra thing he can do.

2. I like the idea of adding back in Pokemon trainer... maybe make A+B do the switch outs.

3. I'm all aboard any idea that gives Samus different beams. I don't care if its an A+B switch or the taunt button. She should be able to roll around as her ball, jump in ball form, and charge a super bomb. I also read an idea about giving her dash attack aesthetics to make it look like speed dash.. That would be swell.

4. I would love it if Mario had a Dr. Mario costume.

5. I REALLY love the idea of Kirby getting buffs and other changes to his other moves from what power he has. Using the fire dash attack after eating Captain Falcon, Ganondorf, Charizard or Bowser , but use a rolling dash by default. The buffed hammer if he has Ice Climbers or Dededed. Maybe give him slash attacks instead of punches if he has eaten Link, Marth, Ike, Meta Knight or Pit. Double jump could be a screw attack if hes eaten Samus. Make his shield an Egg if he has eaten Yoshi. Have him float like Peach when he has eaten Peach. Give him electrical effects to his attacks when hes eaten Picachu, Lucas, or Zelda. Give him the aura type effects when hes eaten Lucario... maybe even let him build up his own Aura Bomb. Give him water based effects when hes eaten Squirtle. Any of these extra things would be amazing.

6. I like the idea of Yoshi hopping higher when he does egg toss, as well as having better explosive effects on the exploding eggs.

7. I would like it a lot if Meta Knight had a sweet spot with dimensional cape, so that it did a critical if you appeared right on an opponent.

Sarix

Smash Ace
Personally with Samus I would like her to become more of a hybrid zoning and mix-up character who can use her projectiles to force the opponent to guess how she will follow up instead of just blandly spamming from afar. She should still have a good projectile pressure game; but I think it would be more flavorful if she zoned by creating guessing games with her projectiles and approaches in neutral on the stage to mount an effective rushdown game and taking advantage of knockdown for strong okizeme and mix-up games. Given she would still be a zoning character she would not be able to bull rush in as her normals would still be a bit inferior to more close range oriented characters and have to rely on setting up projectiles to get in. It would also be more interesting to see her bombs become useful as a trapping projectile amidst her strong direct projectile pressure.

This is just my two cents, and I won't deny that playing other fighting games influenced my opinion.

Juushichi

sugoi ~ sugoi ~
To be honest, Samus's physics would probably have to change for her to be approaching with fair of all things. Making fair and usmash stronger I can get behind though.

Personally, I love SDR's gunpunch upsmash though. +1 thousand for that.

DocStrange

Smash Apprentice
Just want to point out that I think Trainer would be broken if he could switch at will. The new Pokes are too good for that.

Would it be blasphemy to want a bunch of new moves for Kirby? I think his moveset could be a lot more representative of his different powers, like maybe make uSmash Needle, or dSmash Spark. I think it would also be cool to get rid of Hammer and give him Burning for his sSpec, then maybe move fAir to nAir and make his new fAir a single hammer smash like in the actual Kirby games. Beam could be very interesting also if implemented carefully.

I've always loved Kirby in Smash, but I've also always felt they wasted a lot of opportunity to work in more of his abilities than just Fighter.

Would it be completely lame if Yoshi's Egg Lay became his dThrow, Egg Toss became nSpec, his second jump became uSpec and he got multiple jumps that work like in Yoshi's Island (were he can get a lot of horizontal distance but only the first one gives him any kind of upward movement) I think he'd be a lot more fun and powerful, but it may take away from what makes him special.

OrangeSodaGuy

Smash Journeyman
^I'm totally with you on Kirby. I'd love to see more of his abilities like Burning Kirby, Beam Kirby, Mirror Kirby, Plasma Kirby, Parasol Kirby, Wheel Kirby, etc. worked into his moveset. He already has so many cool and fun abilities, and I feel like it would be a waste to ignore so many of his other powers.

As cool as the multiple beam idea is, I'm not sure if it's possible (I'd love to be wrong about that though), and frankly, I'm not sure she'll really need it. (If I'm wrong on this one though, I'm all ears.) Not trying to be mean-- it's an awesome idea, and it's clear you put a lot of thought into it.

As for Pokemon trainer... what if you guys added him back in, but without the ability to switch? I think the new Pokes are already so good that there's really no need to switch-- that could be kinda broken. It would still be a cool touch to just see PT chilling in the background if you picked Ivy, Squirtle, or Charizard though. There just wouldn't be a switching mechanic. Thoughts?

#HBC | Joker

Space Marine
NNID
HBCJoker
3DS FC
1864-9780-3232
but the pokes are Wild pokemon. Which explains why they are so much more powerful than they were when they had a trainer, because Red was clearly an awful trainer.

humble

Smash Ace
I feel like it's a struggle wading through this thread trying to find actual feasible suggestions, as it is clogged with **** like "what if we included three versions of every character to account for their minor differences in games?" Yeah, lemme just pop open my clone engine to increase the roster threefold, then try to balance a **** load more characters. Good idea, definitely the best way for the development to spend their time and completely practical. **** like Kirby having a completely different moveset off swallowing each character, extremely resource intensive, hard to code, and a balancing nightmare.

Less is more guys. If I was a PM:BR member looking at this thread, which would I think is a more practical, balanced suggestion that could be implemented, the ability to enable several kinds of beams with varying effects to swap between mid battle, or just changing the priority and angles on her fair and usmash?

You can suggest all the wild **** you want because of how cool it is in your head, but remember that the project has a conservative mindset, they will only change things if they think it's necessary, they aren't here to reinvent the wheel, they're just refining an already great game.

Vashimus

Smash Master
META KNIGHT: Will he really even need to be changed much at all? With the Melee physics I feel like his over-poweredness won't matter so much.
Quite the opposite.

Shield eating Tornado. Some of the fastest attacks in the game, with transcendant priority on all of them. 5 midair jumps, 4 special moves and a glide not only making his recovery ridiculously safe, unpredictable and a pain in the ass to edgeguard, but when combined with his aerials give him an unrivaled edgeguarding game. Can pull off nice combos and Isn't easily comboed himself due to his light weight. Now on top of all that, add him to a faster, more offensive environment reminiscent of Melee.

The PMBR tried leaving Meta Knight as he was, and not surprisingly, he still dominated the rest of the cast since his character design was too perfect for a Melee environment. He'll definitely be revamped, hopefully with the spirit and feel of the character still in tact. Meta Knight is supposed to be this strong and badass character that not even DDD wants to **** with. We still wanna reflect that in his gameplay, not make make him completely suck.

Top Bottom