• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Idea Submission Thread

Nemiak temp

Smash Apprentice
Few thoughts on that last post ^ and the ICs in general.
Dair is great on floaties as it has enough hitstun to keep them in the air and also is probably their best option in grab combos. If anything is to be changed about it maybe give it less cool down but please don't increase knockback or any other nonsense. I saw Fly comment in a stream that Wobbling would not be returning to PM, kind of disappointed but I suppose it's best for the future of their meta. Is it safe to assume that their grab game will remain in it's melee glory other than the wobbling? I think the tilts are great as they are, especially u-tilt. Might be a good idea to give their Nair a similar treatment as was done to DK's? Give it a tiny bit more horizontal range for a slightly better aerial approach option?
What exactly is wrong with the ICs as they are now in PM? I hear lot's of talk about Nana being difficult to code. Is it stuff like desynching not working properly or Nana just being an extra stupid AI?

NewJerusalem

Smash Apprentice
Though this isn't a big change (maybe it is?) I feel like it fits.

Ike's dash animation seems a bit off to me. I feel (yes this is opinion but take a second to think about it.) that he should have a Marth/Roy esque dash animation.
Their dash dancing was iconic and I think it would fit very well with Ike. Maybe make it look a little 'rougher' to fit his tough guy feel.

Not to mention the psychological effects of a dashdance that looks like that.

Eh I could've worded this better but I hope it made sense.

Zerthex

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3883-6084-5037
For Jigglypuff
I was just thinking what if Puff could use rollout right out of shield? I got the idea from the Pokemon games, when a Pokemon uses rollout after using defensive curl it will do twice the damage. Not that it should happen or if it would really help her out much, just an idea.

KayB

Smash Master
BRoomer
I think characters like Falcon, Puff, and Marth need to get a few buffs in the next update. Its a given that many people consider that they fare a lot worse against many new match ups in Project M and I think it should be taken to consideration to improve them. None of them are quite nearly as good as the spacies especially when it comes to the new MUs, thus to treat them under the same "bcz melee" mentality is a bit silly.

Generically Epic

Smash Ace
I think the stage list should be updated and so should the characters. :3
I'd also HEAVILY suggest releasing a non finished version with all the characters playable before smash 4 comes out.

| Kailex |

I smell like salty coins and milk
NNID
pootis
3DS FC
2578-3225-2678
If all the cast were to join it would be better to make them stick with their brawl moevesets until they get completely polished

CORY

wut
BRoomer
musing i had:

luigi's still kinda not so great.

he has a really bad dash attack.

what if you could end the dash attack early? like, press a again, during the attack, the make it do the last hits quicker. probably with certain preset end times, ala spacie illusions. make it so it's not just total balls on shield and maybe help it be better on hit?

OrangeSodaGuy

Smash Journeyman
I think that the move that would most likely use Ganondorf's sword would probably be his F-Tilt. Just have a simple sword slice or something.

I'd keep his kick. Remember his hilariously laggy Melee/Brawl uptilt?

I wonder how things would play out if he used his sword for THAT move.
Think of Ike fully charging up his Fsmash. What if that was Ganon's up-tilt?

Back on the topic at hand, I was liking the changelist I saw on SD remix Kirby. It would be great if they could somehow work in a few more of his copy abilities into his moveset (beam, parasol, wheel, mirror, burning, etc)
As crappy a move as his fire tackle may have been, I still miss it ;__;
Having a heavier weight, more midair agility like Puff , a safer inhale, and a less laggy Stone will really help his game as well.

From what I've read here from people who know the character way better than I do, Samus doesn't really seem like she's going to need too many substantial changes from her Melee self. I liked the idea of her having buffed missiles, a quicker jab, and being able to combo out of her bombjumps more easily as roymaster noted a few pages back.

As far as Samus is concerned, I'm really keeping my fingers crossed that Melee's tether system will be restored... if that's at all feasible for the PMBR. Great work guys!

CyberZixx

Smash Lord
I'd be fine with that for olimar and yoshi.
I would not. Olimars brawl design is awful. Would be even worse in PM, as in brawl it plays to that games faults.
I don't agree that puff/falcon/marth needs buffs. They are well designed right now and can still compete. This coming from a Marth user who thinks Marth is far better in melee. I don't think minor buffs would make him all that better anyway. He struggles on a macro scale in this game.

GigasOverlord

Smash Apprentice
Back on the topic at hand, I was liking the changelist I saw on SD remix Kirby. It would be great if they could somehow work in a few more of his copy abilities into his moveset (beam, parasol, wheel, mirror, burning, etc)
As crappy a move as his fire tackle may have been, I still miss it ;__;
I know that feel. I was gonna pitch a huge idea list back when I first joined. One of the large ideas on it was having centralized powers for Kirby that came from his original games. If you copied Samus, you would get Plasma from Kirby Super Star and it would charge with rapid horizontal plane movement, similar to in the game. If you copied Link, Toon Link, Marth, Ike, or Meta Knight, you'd get Sword. Bowser and Charizard, you'd get Fireball.
It'd make it a little easier to code because you could just replace character centric values for copy with the specific copy abilities, and, as a Kirby player, you might actually have an easier time wielding the powers instead of just using Copy as a combo starter.

| Kailex |

NNID
pootis
3DS FC
2578-3225-2678
I think that would suit better on his down throw if he has his b charged fully, actually, why not make his throws stronger if his b was charged? Maybe mess around with his charged smashes so that he wont be overpowered or something like that

KayB

Smash Master
BRoomer
musing i had:

luigi's still kinda not so great.

he has a really bad dash attack.

what if you could end the dash attack early? like, press a again, during the attack, the make it do the last hits quicker. probably with certain preset end times, ala spacie illusions. make it so it's not just total balls on shield and maybe help it be better on hit?
In essence, a cancelable dash attack? I actually kinda like that idea.

I would not. Olimars brawl design is awful. Would be even worse in PM, as in brawl it plays to that games faults.
I don't agree that puff/falcon/marth needs buffs. They are well designed right now and can still compete. This coming from a Marth user who thinks Marth is far better in melee. I don't think minor buffs would make him all that better anyway. He struggles on a macro scale in this game.
Dunno Brawl Olimar that well. Is he really that EZ mode?

CyberZixx

Smash Lord
In essence, a cancelable dash attack? I actually kinda like that idea.

I don't know how difficult Olimar is to play but his whole design seems to be hucking pikman at people. Slowing gaining damage from a distance and finishing them off with a strong pikman. Brawl rewards campy play that is hard to get past so Olimar does really well with his pesky pikman. He seems one dimensional and straight forward yet effective. Not a great design for a successor to melee if you ask me. I frankly don't know what they will do to the character.

The_NZA

Smash Lord
I think that would suit better on his down throw if he has his b charged fully, actually, why not make his throws stronger if his b was charged? Maybe mess around with his charged smashes so that he wont be overpowered or something like that

In what world would you like to buff uthrow?

| Kailex |

NNID
pootis
3DS FC
2578-3225-2678
After reconsidering, I think it'd fit with olimar much more than lucas

Pwnz0rz Man

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1950-9089-5761
I know that feel. I was gonna pitch a huge idea list back when I first joined. One of the large ideas on it was having centralized powers for Kirby that came from his original games. If you copied Samus, you would get Plasma from Kirby Super Star and it would charge with rapid horizontal plane movement, similar to in the game. If you copied Link, Toon Link, Marth, Ike, or Meta Knight, you'd get Sword. Bowser and Charizard, you'd get Fireball.
It'd make it a little easier to code because you could just replace character centric values for copy with the specific copy abilities, and, as a Kirby player, you might actually have an easier time wielding the powers instead of just using Copy as a combo starter.
Wouldn't Charizard/Bowser give Kirby just standard Fire, not Fireball? I like the overall idea of this, though it would probably make making Kirby even more difficult since instead of an alteration to the B moves he takes, it would give him completely new powers with each absorbed character.

OrangeSodaGuy

Smash Journeyman
Wouldn't Charizard/Bowser give Kirby just standard Fire, not Fireball? I like the overall idea of this, though it would probably make making Kirby even more difficult since instead of an alteration to the B moves he takes, it would give him completely new powers with each absorbed character.

I can't speak for anyone else but I think I can see what he's getting at.
There could be 8 or 9 different copy abilities total spread out among the different characters.

Charizard/Bowser might give Kirby the fire/burning ability.

Link and Toon Link might give Kirby the sword ability.

Pika/ZSS etc might give him the beam ability.

Peach might give him Parasol.

If there's 38 other characters besides Kirby himself, then maybe having four or five characters per ability might work. Then again, all of this hinges on what's feasible and won't break the character (or make hm useless).

I was thinking more along the lines of replacing a few of his normals with moves lifted from abilities like Parasol, Burning, Beam, etc.
Giving him a new throw based on his parasol juggle from superstar, and/or the capture beam from Superstar. Due to being escapable, his forward and back throws didn't see much use in Melee as far as I know outside of Kirbycides (which if IIRC, the PMBR isn't trying to make a staple of Kirby's fighting style this time around).
An aerial where Kirby fires the waddle-doo beam in front of him.
A burning tackle Fsmash.
Giving him a wheel Kirby inspred dash attack.
Maybe his shield can flash weird colors like his mirror shield from superstar. It would be neat if Kirby's mirror body attack (where he splits in half) somehow made it into Project M.

Please stop me if this sounds like a coding nightmare, haha.

himemiya

Smash Lord
KIRBY NEUTRAL B POWER IDEAS

Charizards - How about if kirby gets charizards smaller side b instead (maybe they could give him bigger wings for the hat to make it more legit)

DDD - since its the same thing how about making d3 power-up be more combo friendly like reducing pop up from spit to set-up for grab/fsmash

if they changed kirby's charizard power up to be charizard's side-b but smaller there won't be a need to change bowsers.

Windstar120025

Smash Apprentice
I don't see how you can decide whether another persons opinion is correct or not.
Yoru totaly right im sorry im just realy SALTY about many things and Ganon is on the top of the list, Its jut honestly i dont see how many people can think he needs more i have had nto much experiance with his down-b ripping through majority of projectiles.

TreK

Is "that guy"
His strength in Brawl mostly comes from how hard it is to reach him : he's a small target with a lot of range and priority on his normals, and a lot of projectiles. His fire rate basically allows him to shut down campers, so everybody goes aggro on him. On top of that, he hits hard, and has no trouble setting up a kill move, which is a valuable asset in Brawl. He also has a bunch of early stock combos that forces you to respect him at low percent.
So he definitely is a strong character in that game. The thing is, the pikmen mechanics make the character insanely deep and complex. Depending on your current pikmin, each move technically has six very different variants, and it's up to you to alter your decision making process to take this into account. You are to optimize your game plan by tossing the pikmins that are not the best ones in your current matchup off the stage, while still retaining enough diversity in your pikmin army to be able to keep your mixups fresh. Olimar is one of the few characters you literally have to plan a few moves ahead with.
So to sum it up : not easy, but strong. At least in a Brawl environment.

Wrestlemania

The Steel Chair
Yoru totaly right im sorry im just realy SALTY about many things and Ganon is on the top of the list, Its jut honestly i dont see how many people can think he needs more i have had nto much experiance with his down-b ripping through majority of projectiles.
Ganon's Down B clanks with projectiles it does not go through them.

Windstar120025

Smash Apprentice
maybe but i would like some variety to her n-b with like a tuant able to change the type of beam she uses

\Apples

Smash Journeyman
If Samus' Neutral B fired on button release, she could run while firing only small ones (short hop mechanic applied to the B button) and she could dash cancel the recoil just like her sexier counterpart... mmmmm mmmm mmmm.

GigasOverlord

Smash Apprentice
Since I got the ball rolling with Samus, figured I'd just post my entire character idea thing that I've been sitting on for like 3 months.

Samus:

- Fire little pew pews by tapping B. Up to 5 lemons could be on screen at a time, and would do minimal knockback and damage. They'd be kinda like Falco's laser, but have a much shorter range and faster knockback decay.

- Hold B to charge Power Beam; releasing B would just fire it. This would open up an incredible amount of options with the next one. It also feels more like canon because, as a Super Metroid 100% runner, you have to hold the button the entire time. At least in Smash you can shield to save the charge.

- Being able to Moonwalk while charging the Power Beam. Super Metroid nods, ho! Also incredible mind games and whatnot. It'd just add to her zoning options as a "GTFO, or I'll let go of B".

- Hold B to charge Power Beam midair. She is the only character that can't do it. What even is this? Shield storing would obviously apply to this.

- Press B to little pew pew midair. These would fire diagonally downward at a 45 degree angle. Creates shield pressure and approach options.

- Fire Power Beam 45 degree diagonally midair. Combo finishers and missile lockdown options everywhere.

- Smash Down-B when storing a full charge to unleash 3 bombs at once, one in front, and one in back. Tilt-B would just drop one bomb. This would add a little to Samus' GTFO game, and is also a canon nod.

- Change the graphic on Neutral B to red and give it fire damage for her Metroid Prime Plasma Beam. It makes sense for her to bring her best gear to fight, right? The only weird thing about this is that every iteration of Plasma Beam's shot is a long searing column of death instead of little pew pews. Giving Samus a Falco laser wouldn't even be that bad, because she doesn't have the speed to capitalize on it.

- Make Missiles and Super Missiles have an easy-to-break Freeze effect. I loved Ice Missiles, and Seeker Missiles would be hella cheap. The freeze would just be cosmetic, too, which is the nice part.

- Give her green speed trails when she runs as a nod to the Speed Booster, or make her Dash Attack the Speed Booster on a limited scale with same knockback and damage.

Kirby:

- Give more canon attacks to him, such as Needle/Spike for a D-Smash, a limited Wheel or Fireball for a Dash Attack, Cutter for a Side B, Sword for F-Smash, things like that. While I would love to see Plasma from Kirby Super Star with its "rapidly mash left and right" charge style, I don't think giving a strong projectile to Kirby would be a smart idea.

As a side note, why the hell did Sakurai not make Mike his Final Smash?!

- Make F-Air more like 64's with its weird as hell properties. I love that move, and Melee and Brawl F-Air just don't work properly. I'm pretty sure that a single hit attack with the same animation would work much better, though.

- Make it so you don't lose Copy abilities from taking damage. I know that this is a canon nod to the games, but it doesn't work for a competitive game.

Yoshi:

- Give Neutral B the ability to stock Yoshi with a little egg trail when he eats someone. Up to 3 eggs can be carried in a trail, and it follows him like in Yoshi's Island/Story. When he uses Egg Toss, a stocked egg is depleted, but the thrown egg is slightly boosted in damage and knockback. This would be a nod to the games, but also make Egg Toss a little more viable.

- Change Side-B to Egg Toss and make it holdable if he has an egg trail; otherwise, he would throw an egg without delay. It makes more sense for a projectile attack to be either Neutral or Side-B instead of Up-B.

- Change Up-B to Yoshi Bomb and have it act like Aether with the increased horizontal plane control.

- Change Down-B to Egg Roll and just make it more P:M in general. I never really used this move before, so I don't know what would make it better.

Ice Climbers:

- Change their Up-B to the Condor in their stage intro. It would instantly appear, flap it's wings 3 times with them holding its talons, then it would disappear, not dealing any damage in the process. The distance covered would be comparable to about Link's Up-B or so. The Ice Climbers could disengage from Condor's talons at any time during this. It would make SoPo's recovery a little less garbage than it already is and regular Climber's recovery not so dumb looking. Belay was just unusable as SoPo and punished the user when used as regular IC recovery, seeing as how Nana is half of the IC game and she ends up below Popo.

Sadly, I have no damn idea about what to do with Olimar aside from Pikmin count and Whistle properties, both of which I have no insight to and have already been addressed.

SmashBeatsALLFGC

Smash Rookie
For Fox, Falco, and Wolf Shine or Reflector here's a thought if he reflects the projectile he can wavedash out of reflecting the projectile kinda like waveshining a projectile and go on the offense so he is NOT stuck reflecting the projectile. Example if Mario uses fireball projectile and Fox Reflects it then he can wavedash as soon as he reflects the Fireball so he can keep the pressure going and attack back at Mario same thing goes with if Falco Short Hop Lasers ect.

Nguz95

Smash Lord
For Fox, Falco, and Wolf Shine or Reflector here's a thought if he reflects the projectile he can wavedash out of reflecting the projectile kinda like waveshining a projectile and go on the offense so he is NOT stuck reflecting the projectile. Example if Mario uses fireball projectile and Fox Reflects it then he can wavedash as soon as he reflects the Fireball so he can keep the pressure going and attack back at Mario same thing goes with if Falco Short Hop Lasers ect.
...broken...as hell...

Why are you posting the same stuff everywhere?

CORY

wut
BRoomer
- Make Missiles and Super Missiles have an easy-to-break Freeze effect. I loved Ice Missiles, and Seeker Missiles would be hella cheap. The freeze would just be cosmetic, too, which is the nice part.
i'm pretty sure, actually, that once you break out of being frozen, you regain all your jump options again, so it wouldn't really just be cosmetic, it'd be more of a nerf ;x

Top Bottom