• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Individualization: Toon Link

Rhubarbo

Smash Champion
With hacking now readily available to us, we could perhaps alter Toon Link to the degree where he is more unique than regular Link than he currently is. I have a proposal to achieve this goal, and it goes as follows:

1) Toon Link's Wind Waker taunt now pushes foes back as if though they were being pushed by the wind on Picto Chat.

2) Toon Link's up B now resembles his hurricane spin slightly more. After fully charging his up b, link spins around frantically (moving) for an extended period of time. After he does, he is in the broken shield animation.

3) Toon Link's arrows are altered to function like the Wind Wakers Fire, Ice and Light Arrows:

33% of the time, Toon Link's arrows cause a burning effect (PK Fire) on the foe.

33% of the time, Toon Link's arrows cause a freezing effect (PK Freeze) on the foe.

33% of the time, Toon Link's arrows cause a shock effect (Zero Suit Samus' paralyzer) on the foe.

Opinions, suggestions, and hackers (definitely hackers) would be greatly appreciated!

Yingyay

Smash Ace
umm.........prepare for a lock?

Shouldnt this be in the character thread tho?

Rhubarbo

Smash Champion
1) Um...why?
2) O...kay?
3) Interesting, but can they program in a random chance thing for the same move?
1) Individualization
2) Indeed
3) Yup! Random chance can be programmed just like Dedede's waddle dee/doos/gordos.

Well, that'd be cool and all I suppose.

And technically this wouldn't belong in the character boards, as we aren't supposed to be discussing changes in there. Not that anybody actually follows the rules, but still. >_>

Still, it seems like a little too much effort for the sake of "diversifying" when we can change any property of almost any move he has.

goodoldganon

Smash Champion
We talked about Fire or Ice arrows in the backroom to help differentiate the two. We were gonna do fire but we can't (or didn't think we could) get his arrows to look like they were on fire as they traveled. Having someone randomly burst into flames after getting hit would be dumb.

Either way, interesting ideas but impractical. Besides, Toon Link feels plenty different from Link, especially after Link's sweeping overhaul.

sMexy-Blu

Smash Lord
Toon Link is different enough from reg Link, he doesn't need these buffs.

camelot

Smash Ace
You can texture hack the color of the trail on his arrows, so technically you could have fire arrows that actually look like them

Also: Fire arrows > Ivysaur (more hitstun).

Bigman2491

Smash Rookie
I really like the fire arrow idea as it does give a bit of an incentive to actually use them. I might be wrong with this statement but as of right now the arrows (both + and vanilla) are rather useless.

TLMSheikant

Smash Master
Fire arrows would be sexy. If like camelot says the trayectory can be altered to be red. It would look great. +1 for fire arrows. And to the OP i do not agree with anything except for fire arrows. The other stuff u said is practically useless for competitive play and would be there for show/aesthetic purposes.

+1 for fire arrows.
:toonlink:

VietGeek

Smash Hero
Fire arrows would be sexy. If like camelot says the trayectory can be altered to be red. It would look great. +1 for fire arrows. And to the OP i do not agree with anything except for fire arrows. The other stuff u said is practically useless for competitive play and would be there for show/aesthetic purposes.

+1 for fire arrows.
Plasma effect from ZSS would allow arrows to actually combo instead of just be hindrances to the opponent. <_<

Nihongo-ookami

Smash Journeyman
With hacking now readily available to us, we could perhaps alter Toon Link to the degree where he is more unique than regular Link than he currently is. I have a proposal to achieve this goal, and it goes as follows:

1) Toon Link's Wind Waker taunt now pushes foes back as if though they were being pushed by the wind on Picto Chat.

2) Toon Link's up B now resembles his hurricane spin slightly more. After fully charging his up b, link spins around frantically (moving) for an extended period of time. After he does, he is in the broken shield animation.

3) Toon Link's arrows are altered to function like the Wind Wakers Fire, Ice and Light Arrows:

33% of the time, Toon Link's arrows cause a burning effect (PK Fire) on the foe.

33% of the time, Toon Link's arrows cause a freezing effect (PK Freeze) on the foe.

33% of the time, Toon Link's arrows cause a shock effect (Zero Suit Samus' paralyzer) on the foe.

Opinions, suggestions, and hackers (definitely hackers) would be greatly appreciated!

33% of the time, Toon Link's arrows are normal.

Okay, that last 1% should be light arrows, having about the power of a Gordo.

That's really all I can say. Hurricane Spin sounds nice. However, I don't really like the taunting idea...

VietGeek

Smash Hero
Yiff please don't support my main become luck based in any definition of luck. <_<

TLMSheikant

Smash Master
^What viet said. Please. I do not support the random arrows. But I do support fire arrows.
Viet +1 for fire arrows pl0x?

goodoldganon

Smash Champion
Get us a texture hack of arrows that look like fire arrows, then we'll talk guys. It will probably have to hold off till we remove PKMN type weaknesses too.

n88

Smash Lord
I'm assuming that this is meant to be used in conjunction w/Brawl+, in which case, toon Link should be differentiated, but not in such a way that he is improved. I haven't been playing Brawl+ for long, but what I've seen of Toon Link scares me.

Cytrs

Smash Apprentice
and he basically has to star ko. but thats not too hard with his uair/u-smash

MookieRah

Kinda Sorta OK at Smash
oon Link is overhyped. He rarely even has true combos.
This is smash. 90% of combos aren't true combos. That doesn't mean crap. TL is a freakin BEAST. Honestly, he's probably one of the better characters, definitely high tier material. But yeah, please, no random inst-kill crap. Peach and D3 are enough.

Honestly, i'd like to see B+ remove the crazy **** and buff the characters elsewhere to make up for it. I remember MikeG losing to Sastopher at FC3 all because Sas pulled 2 stitch faces in BOTH of their matches... Random = lame for competitive play.

Mattnumbers

Smash Master
This is smash. 90% of combos aren't true combos. That doesn't mean crap. TL is a freakin BEAST. Honestly, he's probably one of the better characters, definitely high tier material. But yeah, please, no random inst-kill crap. Peach and D3 are enough.

Honestly, i'd like to see B+ remove the crazy **** and buff the characters elsewhere to make up for it. I remember MikeG losing to Sastopher at FC3 all because Sas pulled 2 stitch faces in BOTH of their matches... Random = lame for competitive play.
Yeah I think random elements should be taken out for a slightly buffed move that's always the same, this would work for GAW, Luigi, Peach, and D3.

cman

Smash Ace
Or you could just make it so that which type they pull out isn't random, rather than removing them entirely. Like make every 10th a gordo, so that if they aren't keeping track, then they might get screwed.

Mattnumbers

Smash Master
Or you could just make it so that which type they pull out isn't random, rather than removing them entirely. Like make every 10th a gordo, so that if they aren't keeping track, then they might get screwed.
The problem with this is that someone would just spam that move away from an opponent until they get to the number where they have a good one. It would promote spamming/camping.

MookieRah

Kinda Sorta OK at Smash
Plus, how in the world are you supposed to keep up with the amount of things they are tossing in a serious high level match? That's a bit much don't you think? It's best just to remove it and make up for it in some way so that they don't need that stuff. Besides, that's really just flavor fluff anyways.

cman

Smash Ace
The problem with this is that someone would just spam that move away from an opponent until they get to the number where they have a good one. It would promote spamming/camping.
Unless they can then combo into that move, it shouldn't be a problem, since the opponent knows its coming up as well.

I don't see how it would promote spamming/camping though.

Plus, how in the world are you supposed to keep up with the amount of things they are tossing in a serious high level match? That's a bit much don't you think? It's best just to remove it and make up for it in some way so that they don't need that stuff. Besides, that's really just flavor fluff anyways.
Olimar mains keep track of the order/number of their pikman types, so it can be done, but i see your point.

Most of the random moves do have real uses, like peach's glide tosses, but how would you save G&W's side B?

Mattnumbers

Smash Master
Unless they can then combo into that move, it shouldn't be a problem, since the opponent knows its coming up as well.

I don't see how it would promote spamming/camping though.
Say dedede gets a gordo every 10 throws. He would just spam his side b and avoid the opponent until he got 9 nine throws.

TLMSheikant

Smash Master
It would promote camping since its in their best interest to get to that number. And how do they get there? by using it multiple times. :toonlink:

cman

Smash Ace
Say dedede gets a gordo every 10 throws. He would just spam his side b and avoid the opponent until he got 9 nine throws.
If someone were to let a DDD do that, then get hit by his gordo, they are probably going to lose anyway, since that move and DDD are both rather slow. At worst, he would be spamming in between stocks so his gordo would come up more often.

Mattnumbers

Smash Master
It would promote camping since its in their best interest to get to that number. And how do they get there? by using it multiple times. :toonlink:
Exactly, instead we should just make the regular waddle dee do more damage/go faster.

EDIT: The gordo has pretty high priority, and dedede can succesfully keep foes at bay with his waddle dees, at least for a bit.

VietGeek

Smash Hero
Most of the random moves do have real uses, like peach's glide tosses, but how would you save G&W's side B?
IIRC, 6 is a fiery semi-spike, a suitable combo ender since I doubt side-B would be use for anything else other than that, maybe an edgeguard. But again, no. 6 takes care of that too.

Top Bottom