• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Planking Capabilities

GimR

GimR, Co-Founder of VGBootCamp
NNID
VGBC_GimR
Pikachu's Perfect Planking:

Code:
Frame 1: grab ledge
Frame 14: press back
Frame 15: Press up-B or Side B
Frame 16-40: Hold towards the stage if you're up-bing
Frame 41: you're not invincible any more
Frame 43: Let go of control stick
Frame 44: Pikachu grabs the ledge

So Pikachu's invincibility on planking ain't that great

3 frames vulnerable

Marth's Perfect Planking

Code:
Frame 1: Grab Ledge
Frame 26: Press and Hold Back
Frame 32: Let Go of Back
Frame 46: Hold Back
Frame 47: Double Jump(Keep Back Held)
Frame 52-55: Up-B(Invincible)
Frame 56: Grab Ledge
5 frames vulnerable

I set it this way so Marth is really far away from the ledge when he starts his up-B so someone would actually have to come off the ledge to hit him during his 5 frames of vulnerability

If it looks like someone is trying to grab the ledge or attack you you can do the following:

Code:
Frame 26: Press Back
Frame 27: Forward-B
Frame 30: forwardB hit box is out(It's larger then f-air)
Frame 47: Hittable
Frame 55: Press and Hold Back
Frame 56: Jump
Frame 61: Let go of Back
Frame 70: Up-B(Invincible)
Frame 71: Grab the ledge

23 frames vulnerable

This good because it keeps your opponent back, keeps you far from the ledge yet still lets you auto snap it

DK's Perfect planking:

Code:
Frame 26: Press Back
Frame 42: Double Jump
Frame 44: Up-B
Frames 47-49: extra invincibility from up-B(Other wise he would've been hittable) + ultra priority hit boxes
Frame 50: Hittable + hitboxes are gone.
Frame 56: Grabs Ledge.

6 frames vulnerable.

I purposely made it so he's pretty far below the ledge. You can't grab the ledge cause his hit boxes will hit you. since he's low it's hard to hit him but you can still do it if spaced correctly. If you some how grab the ledge he can autocancel his up-b lag by landing on the stage.

GimR

NNID
VGBC_GimR
the probelm is you can just run off and use a lingering hit box and possibly stage spike him.

That's how I tested invincibility. I just ran off the stage with MK when I knew pikachu was invincible and n-aired and waited for it to hit

KayLo!

Smarter than your average wabbit.
3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
Got me excited for nothing. :(

Prime already figured this out a while ago.

Pikabunz

Smash Hero
NNID
Pikabunz
3DS FC
1134-8730-8374
Pikachu's vulnerability should be 9 frames. The maximum amount of invincibility one can have after ledge drop is 21 frames and you have to wait 30 frames after ledge drop to be able to grab the ledge again. So you just do 30 - 21 and you get 9 frames of vulnerability. This should be the same for everyone else unless the character can grab the ledge with a move that has invincibility.

For Pikachu it should look like this:

Frame 1: Grab ledge
Frame 13: Input back
Frame 14: Ledge drop/Input Side B (This is the frame you leave the ledge and your 21 frames of invincibility starts.)
Frame 15: Skullbash starts
Frame 35: Invincibility ends (You can be hit starting on this frame)
Frame 44: Grab ledge

GimR

NNID
VGBC_GimR
I'll retest it, I just ran off the stage with MK's n-air while pikahcu was invincible and wrote down when it hit him. You're right though, it dpesn't make sense that'd be be invincible so long. Also when I say press back on frame 14, that means that frame 14 is the actual frame it's inputed on

@phil: That's what I'm doing if you look at my data closely you'll see that I up-B instantly when close to the ledge. And it's hard to punish if you use the forward B variation

thexsunrosered

Smash Lord
Yeah, that's cool
alright here it is

00: Ganon hangs from ledge
01: Press Down to release from ledge
02: Ganon doesn't move in the air? o.O
03: Ganon begins falling
07: last fall frame before jump
08: input jump
09: input Uair
10-41 : Uair animation
42: input Side-B
43: Ganon begins ledge grab animation even though he is halfway down past the ledge (battlefield)
44: Ganon rises half the distance to the ledge
45: Ganon rises half the distance to the ledge again (closer)
46: controller rumbles
47: ledgesnap sound
48: vulnerable I believe
49: invincibilty begins
Though I initially thought this was only effective on battlefield, after testing the frame map on FD were there aren't slopes under the ledges, I found that it works even there too. I'm not too good at interpreting invulnerablity and stuff like that yet, so if you could let me know what this means in terms of 'perfect planking' it'd be great

GimR

NNID
VGBC_GimR
interesting that you were able to grab the ledge before 56, maybe it's because it's a side B

Pikabunz

Smash Hero
NNID
Pikabunz
3DS FC
1134-8730-8374
It's cause he started counting frames from hanging on the ledge instead of the first frame of ledge grab.

Pikabunz

Smash Hero
NNID
Pikabunz
3DS FC
1134-8730-8374
Invincibility starts as soon as it shows your character reaching for the ledge and the invincibility last for 46 frames.

Top Bottom