• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Rankings List - Post-March 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bouse

Smash Ace
Hey Ankou, I'm almost done with my model. I'll post the completed model in probably a few days. For the most part all I was having trouble with was the "fee" part of the model. Since generally fee translates into pot size relative to the number of people playing it works. However the problem in controlling the variable lies in the fact that you might have a high cost entry tournament with crappy turn-out, or just a cheap tournament with massive turnout. So using the fee as a direct method of modifying the point system is inherently flawed. However, while your system has little problem with that it's issue lies in the fact that you always consider the "top 8" when if you were to look at it purely from a statistician's point of view that won't work with different base populations. Also your data points will skew much more if you just have a basic divisor to control the point value increases. You need to use a top %, and higher math functions to describe the fee/population relationship. Here's what I have so far...

% Ranked

The % Ranked of a given tournament population (P) is 12%. If a number of similarly ranked players exist that are equivalent to players within the top 12% that comprise of 50% or more of that ranking level then they will all be counted. If not that entire ranking level will be discarded. All point values will be assigned the following points based on % divisions, the greater value the player could receive is always the one received.

#1 Placement: 8
Top 25% of % Ranked: 6
Top 50% of % Ranked: 4
Remaining % Ranked: 2

These point values will be divided by the RANKED POPULATION TOTAL (#R).
The highest level of points is always assigned unless multiple occurrences of a character exist. If multiple character appearances occur then the included data will consist of the top number of players equivalent to 3% of the INITIAL TOURNAMENT POPULATION(P).*

For example: In a tournament of 64 people the top 8 (12%=7.68 rounded up to 8) are...
1. Snake
2. Metaknight
3. Lucario
4. Marth
5. Luigi
5. Metaknight
7. Snake
7. Snake

Point assignments would be:
Snake = ([8+2]/8) = 1.25
Metaknight = ([6+2]/8) = 1
Lucario = ([4]/8) = .5
Marth = ([4]/8) = .5
Luigi = ([2]/8) = .25

*The alternative to this is to apply the following equation which will also limit point gain, but the first part does it in a much simpler manner....
ALTERNATIVE POINT GAIN LIMITATIONS

{[A(.6)^(X-1)]+ [B(.6)^(X-1)]+[C(.6)^(X-1)]+...[n(.6)^(n-1)]}

#R

Occurrences of Snake and Metaknight in the above example:
Snake
[A(.6)^(X-1)]+ [B(.6)^(X-1)]+[C(.6)^(X-1)]
[8(.6)^(1-1)]+[2(.6)^(2-1)]+[2(.6)^(3-1)]
[8(.6)^(0)]+[2(.6)^(1)]+[2(.6)^(2)]
[8(1)]+[2(.6)]+[2(.36)]
8+1.2+.72 = 9.92 divided by 8= 1.24

Metaknight
[6(.6)^(0)]+[2(.6)^(1)]
6+1.2= 7.2 divided by = .9

This method ends up with all recurrences but at an exponentially decreased value. Thus, they contribute to the data but do not skew it so drastically in favor of their recurrences but from their ability to place high. Popular characters will still maintain a lead, but their popularity will not place them in an insurmountable lead.

The Fee Factor

Now we reach the real issue with this model is the fact that while population and entrance fee are both important variables in establishing how a tournament should be weighted, the extreme values created by some potential tournaments could throw data off course.
The average tournament fee tends to come out to about $7.84 from what I've compiled from both your list and other sites worth of information. If someone comes up with a different number let me know.
The average tournament population tends to come out to about 31 (30.85) people. If someone comes up with a different number let me know.
Population will take care of itself for the most part, since the bigger the population the more potential points to be distributed. HOWEVER, population also needs to be included with the fee to properly weigh the prize pool. Since most of you do not POST PRIZES, I need to spend time compiling data on the average ratios between population, prizes, and entry fees; since all of those are a factor.

Let me know what you think Ankou, I'll get back to you with the information on fee/population/prize payout. Hopefully fee+payout stay consistent with each other that way I can use them as a constant ratio instead of worrying about them as a variable.

P.S. I know this is a bit technical, but every good mathematician knows: If your equation outputs data that isn't in a line or a curve, you're not trying hard enough.

Yoshi Kirishima

Smash Lord
Wow very well done. I've also seen some of those flaws and such. This reminds me a lot about the stuff we learned in math:)

I'm cool like that. I blame it on my Canadian upbringing though. =P

The board are really being held togeather by its vets. We seem to be the only ones who still know to talk to one another with respect and politeness. I'd be very sad if I saw the old pros leave the site and let it degenerate into something else, so I've been trying to show my gratitude to great posters like Ankoku.

Does anyone think the 2008 syndrome is disappearing yet? I don't know how much more I can handle...
Hey I'm Canadian too :)

fkacyan

Smash Hero
Jeebus christ, and I thought I could escape math for the summer.

Oh, and it's oh-so tempting to get back into it... >.>

Falconv1.0

Smash Master
I'm glad I stopped something from getting hit by a 2x4. Especially if it was going to be a person.

I find it interesting that I've been called grateful and loving, AND rude and obnoxious in the same thread, on the same page.
Yeah, it would either be A.) A person or B.) A stray cat.

@Bouse:Get that math away from me and keep it to PM's, my head hurts.

Anyways, once again for my staple leaving comment.

****ING USE SHEIK ****IT

Pikaville

Pikaville returns 10 years later.
That maths stuff just remind me of how good it is not to have to do maths anymore.I wanna see pika move up that list.We have tournamnets every week/second week in Dublin if you want to take those into consideration.

Yoshi Kirishima

Smash Lord
I'm glad I stopped something from getting hit by a 2x4. Especially if it was going to be a person.

I find it interesting that I've been called grateful and loving, AND rude and obnoxious in the same thread, on the same page.
And now I call you grateful and loving, AND rude and obnoxious, so now you're grateful and loving, rude and obnoxious, and grateful and loving and rude and obnoxious XD. jk

and btw, why does the Fee have to be accounted into Character Rankings? Im guessing its like the more you have to pay the more it should weigh cus the more you pay the more serious you get?

FishkeeperTimmay!

Smash Ace
And now I call you grateful and loving, AND rude and obnoxious, so now you're grateful and loving, rude and obnoxious, and grateful and loving and rude and obnoxious XD. jk

and btw, why does the Fee have to be accounted into Character Rankings? Im guessing its like the more you have to pay the more it should weigh cus the more you pay the more serious you get?

Thats exactly the idea. Random tournaments with nearly no pot don't attract player from abroad. When 1000+ dollars is on the line, people will travel for the chance at that. Its to help keep big tournaments more meaningful than small ones. =)

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Bouse, what do you intend me to output with that formula? I kinda figured I'd just have a simple formula with which to compile a list where both popularity and performance had a weight on it, seeing as how I intended to gauge how the average tournament scene might look in terms of character population/possible prediction on which characters might win.

Bouse

Smash Ace
Your list definitely puts a very large weight on popularity. I'm not saying it's not a factor, but to just directly input data like that will mean that even MONTHS from now when say Character X grows in popularity the amount of points attained by Snake will grant him an insurmountable lead and even though Character X is currently played the most it will take months upon months for your ranking list to reflect that data. This is the problem.

It's fine for now if nothing ever changes, if nothing new is discovered, or if no new play-styles are built. However, since your method of calculating data SUPPORTS popularity in a raw format then that's what it will primarily be influenced by. To leave it as an unfettered variable will just perpetuate that ranking chart's information. "Snake is most popular? He must be most popular because he's the best. I should play Snake."

My opinion is that tournament PLACEMENT is what is important. If people just flood tournaments with Snake's which is probably what will most likely happen sooner or later, if he wins those tournaments he'll still be on top. Hell he'll probably maintain a lead if he's at least ranks in top 4.

The point being that limiting the growth of a character due to popularity is reasonable, because then your list will only exhibit that. Metaknight could end up placing relatively similar in a tournament, with my example of having two Metaknight's who both did well, and there was a .25 difference between the two for that tournament. The difference is much smaller than if you had counted all data equally (.5 difference).

Yes, on a scale this low a change of .25 is relatively large, add together a hundred tournaments with fees and population considered and that could account for anywhere from 50-200 points on a ranking system.

To be honest, I'm just offering a method I see as being more accurate, if you don't want to use it then it's no skin off my back. I'm just trying to do my part as a member of this community to help make it as accurate as possible. If you don't want a method to enter data that will require a little extra work on your part that's alright by me, and it's completely understandable. I don't even know if I'll finish it because of how much random data I'm getting for the prize-fee ratio which I had hoped would turn out a bit better.

Another issue is that you do NOT take into consideration the prize-fee ratio. I could see this as an invaluable piece of information. Potential Gain against Potential Loss. I hope to the Flying Spaghetti Monster that someone had brought this up before I did, otherwise I'd feel sad all over.

Bouse

Smash Ace
It will still always be an equation that favors popularity over placement, and will end up perpetuating its own results.

The Kurt

Smash Cadet
Of coarse popularity will affect the results a little. I'm sure metaknight and snake aren't that high because of popularity. If popularity was such a factor ike and marth would probably be higher. Even if a character is unpopular if the character is good then people will play as them in tournaments just look at wario.

Yoshi Kirishima

Smash Lord
Bouse, may be you should consider making your own Character Rankings List? I think that would be a good idea, I mean there isn't a rule about how many dif Char Rank Lists there can be. That way there'd be more than 1 way to look at data, which would be useful.

Bouse

Smash Ace
Of coarse popularity will affect the results a little. I'm sure metaknight and snake aren't that high because of popularity. If popularity was such a factor ike and marth would probably be higher. Even if a character is unpopular if the character is good then people will play as them in tournaments just look at wario.
First of all, Ike is a character who won't rank high for his obvious short comings. I'm not saying that the entire list will be drastically changed. In the A and B levels a few characters may shift places, but I doubt the S rank which change other than the fact that it won't have it's ranks separated by such outlandish a number of points.

Odds are I will try to though (to Ragnarok17), the main issue that seems to exist is that the data being recorded isn't extensive enough and the models people are willing to use are too simplistic to describe and properly weight point distribution.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
The large section, being only updated once a week, will no longer have the archaic results either at the time of the next update.

h4rdcor3

Smash Journeyman
Just wondering, how much of the Lucario representation in the top8/top4/topwhatever is solely Azen?

I bet it's quite a large chunk of it =)
As a lucario main, i'm gonna say he gets a lot of credit for the larger tourneys. There still aren't very many lucario players but more and more are showing up on the boards. We may be seeing some more lucario wins in the near future.

goodkid

Smash Lord
Just wondering, how much of the Lucario representation in the top8/top4/topwhatever is solely Azen?

I bet it's quite a large chunk of it =)
He has a large chunk, but there are some Midwest Lucario players like Bloodhawk & Mendoza that take some credit. If you want to see the names, just search Lucario on the tourney list, I bet Azen has about 5 placements up there.

Hardcorenesser

Smash Journeyman
Tournament #1

Number of entrants: 24
Entry fee: 5 dollars
Where: Visalia, California
Top 8, mains only:
1st: Yoshi (Jon)
2nd: Lucas (Me)
3rd: Jiggs (Alan)
4th: Ness (George)
5th: Lucas (Erik)
5th: Ike (John)
7th: Pokemon Trainer (Michael)
7th: Kirby (Alex)

Tournament #2

Number of entrants: 24
Entry Fee: 5 dollars
Where: Visalia, California
Top 8, mains only:
1st: Lucas (Me)
2nd: Yoshi (Jon)
3rd: Marth (Jose)
4th: Lucas (Erik)
5th: Snake (Daniel)
5th: Jiggs (Alan)
7th: Falco (Angelo)
7th: Ness (George)

asob4

Smash Champion
AVC Tournament 2up
Pacific West
57 entrants
$5
1. Teba - DeDeDe
2. Creepy Fingers - Falco
3. Lite - Snake/Olimar
4. BoA - Lucario
5. Mike Haze - Marth/DeDeDe
5. Aphro - Kirby
7. Shadow - ROB
7. Lee Puff - Game and Watch

everyone with two characters put significant time in with those characters

Xiivi

So much for friendship huh...
Premium
BRoomer
You people need to remember thread links and dates. Also, Hardcorenesser posted the most unbelievable results I've seen.

Besides this of course:
Fireworks Brawl
Midwest
459 Enterants
Entry Fee: 600$$ (Although the TO took 95% of the pot to cover food costs)
Date: 7/4/08
Thread: gameFAQs thread already deleted sorry
1: Xiivi (Captain Falcon)
2: M2K (Yoshi/Sheik/ROB/Peach/Snake/Metaknight/Luigi) He seriously used them all equally.
3: Ankoku (Sheik/Zelda/SheikZelda/ZeldaSheik) Yeah, all those were used equally.
4: Ken's Mom (Zero Suit Samus/Samus)
5: I forget
5: I said I forget
7: Overswarm (Pikachu/Jigglypuff/Lucario/Mewtwo)
7: My friend Fred who doesn't have a smashboards tag (Roy)

I swear they're true.

GUIGUI

Smash Journeyman
(...)

DETAILS
S Rank <Uber>
1 Snake (25 top8, 20 top4, 10 top2, 11 wins) - 875.4
2 Meta Knight (24 top8, 13 top4, 14 top2, 8 wins) -624.925
3 King Dedede (15 top8, 8 top4, 7 top2, 7 wins) - 543.73125

A Rank <Overused>
4 Marth (13 top8, 9 top4, 2 top2, 6 wins) - 316.29375 - 5
5 Mr. Game & Watch (9 top8, 7 top4, 6 top2, 5 wins) - 284.037535 - 8
6 Lucario (8 top8, 4 top4, 3 top2, 5 wins) - 228.66875 - 10
7 ROB (13 top8, 10 top4, 2 top2, 4 wins) - 221.14375 - 4
8 Wario (12 top8, 8 top4, 1 top2, 4 wins) - 211.14375 - 9
9 Falco (10 top8, 5 top4, 3 top2, 2 wins) - 196.46875 - 7
10 Olimar (8 top8, 8 top4, 3 top2, 3 wins) - 185.30625 - 6

B Rank <Standard>
11 Donkey Kong (4 top8, 5 top4, 1 top2, 4 wins) - 125.74375 - 13
12 Wolf (11 top8, 1 top4, 1 top2, 2 wins) - 115.4625 - 11
13 Fox (3 top8, 1 top4, 2 wins) - 111.2375 - 14
14 Ice Climbers (3 top8, 3 top4, 2 top2, 1 win) - 99.625 - 16
15 Kirby (5 top8, 6 top4, 1 top2, 1 win) - 92.0625
16 Pit (4 top8, 1 top4, 1 top2, 2 wins) - 86.725 - 12

C Rank <Borderline>
17 Peach (5 top8, 1 top4, 2 top2) - 39.15625 - 20
18 Ness (2 top8, 1 win) - 36.9375 - 17
19 Diddy Kong (10 top8, 2 top4) - 36.79375 - 18
20 Toon Link (4 top8, 1 top4, 1 top2, 1 win) - 35.15625 - 32
21 Pikachu (2 top8, 4 top4, 1 win) - 31.25 - 25
22 Luigi (1 top8, 1 top2) - 27.125 - 19
23 Captain Falcon (1 top8, 1 top2) - 25.0625 - 35

D Rank <Underused>
24 Zelda (4 top8, 1 top4) - 19.35 - 21
25 Zero Suit Samus (1 top8, 2 top4) - 18.35 - 22
26 Samus (3 top8, 1 top4) - 17.25 - 24
27 Bowser (1 top8, 1 top2) - 16.25 - 23
28 Ike (4 top8, 1 top2) - 13.125 - 27
29 Jigglypuff (1 top8, 1 top4) - 12.25 - 26
30 Pokémon Trainer (2 top8, 1 top4) - 10.8125 - 29

E Rank <Never Used>
31 Lucas (2 top8, 1 top4) - 8.1875 - 28
32 Sonic (2 top8) - 7.1875 - 30
33 Ganondorf (1 top4) - 6 - 31
34 Sheik/Zelda (1 top8, 1 top4) - 5.125
35 Mario (2 top8) - 3.625 - 33
36 Link (1 top4) - 2

Most up-to-date rankings, no details: (last updated July 11, 2008)
S: Snake, Meta Knight, King Dedede
A: Mr. Game & Watch, Marth, Wario
B: ROB, Falco, Lucario, Olimar
C: Donkey Kong, Wolf, Pit, Fox, Kirby, Ice Climbers
D: Ness, Zero Suit Samus, Diddy Kong, Peach, Zelda, Toon Link, Pikachu
E: Samus, Bowser, Luigi, Ike, Sonic, Mario, Jigglypuff, Lucas, SheikZelda, Link, Pokémon Trainer, Captain Falcon
U: Ganondorf, Sheik, Yoshi
(...)
I don't get it!
In the "Most up-to-date rankings, no details" list (only two days old), Ganonondorf is under U, which probably means he has never reached top 8 in a competition, and yet in the "details" list, it is written that Ganon is under D (with a top4 reaching).
If the "Most up-to-date rankings, no details" list is more recent than the "details" list, how did Ganon disappeared? How can an update suddenly decide that previous record suddenly doesn't count?

GUIGUI

Smash Journeyman
GUIGUI please learn to read. Tournaments more than 2 months old are dismissed.
OK, I see it, now, tough it should be tell with the rest of the rule above on the the Original Post, rather than just be mentioned on the outdated list as if it was just a side note.

Also, directly mentioning when the "details" list was last edited on top of it would be useful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom