• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Guide Character specific strategies for Roy

Flamin Roy

Smash Ace
I play Fox and roy and to prove im legit i dunno how to prove that but im a legit fox and roy i recently came in 5th my last tourny with roy
What a fox wants to do to roy watch out for thunder punches or a defensive fox which would SHDL and grab to u airs the entire match. An offensive fox would drill shine n-airs to shine and put crazy pressure on you to avoid that you can cc ang combo off of his mistakes most fox players would mess up every once in a while like when i played M2k he made some mistakes proving not everyone is perfect. you could shield grab a offensive fox because once he hits your shield the player may miss the L-cancel and leave himself open for a split second so its good time have a very accurate reaction time and finally if your playing an aggresive fox be patient he'll come to you and you can punish him for being reckless throw in a couple of mind games and get him off the stage of your on a stage like finalD Fox will sweet spot to avoid unnessary damage but on Pokemon S. it will be easier to edge gaurd a fox if he flys in from the middle neutral B him from the bottom counter from the top predict where his going and forward smash him which is easy because fox's fire fox is very predictable and i can instantly tell where a fox is going to go because of the way DIs while falling also try gimping his recovery it will help a lot a good way to do that is if you are up a stock with a high % then knock fox off the stage and if he is on the bottom then you can drop down and counter him he has about a 10% chance of living if he dies you successfully gimped his recovery killing him on a low percent at the cost of a stock on a high percentage but make sure he is low so he cant get back up trust me it may sound crazy but it saved me so many times and its a crowd pleasure.

LSDX

Wah!
Superb guide, YTMND!

I have learned quite a good amount of knowledge concerning about boy Roy. If only we could have such intelligent threads such on this on this board (dreams.....). I'll try the best I can!

Nø Ca$h

Smash Champion
welllll, id love to help revive this thread. the metagame has changed sooo much.

i think if this thread gets up and running, dogy or another mod should close the random "roy vs x character" threads. and it should all be discussed here.
it IS stickied, isnt it?

lets get this show on the road, eh?

fatalmztake

Smash Apprentice
Hey, I'm looking to be a possible Roy main and I was curious as to what some of your opinions are and if you have any advice. I'm between Marth, Roy, and Sheik but im trying to stay away from top tiers. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
Hey, I'm looking to be a possible Roy main and I was curious as to what some of your opinions are and if you have any advice. I'm between Marth, Roy, and Sheik but im trying to stay away from top tiers. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!
The thing about Roy that's great is that people always underestimate him. If you play smart and don't get overwhelmed by the spacies/Marth/Sheik/Peach, you can actually do very well. Look at Sethlon for example. I also play Roy in friendlies, always, at tournies and so forth. And I do pretty well oftentimes.

You just have to get those solid grabs and have good spacing. Being fast is useless without being mindful of the game.

He also has some interesting/creative combos that nobody will be familiar with. So if you like being original, Roy's the way to go.

Nø Ca$h

Smash Champion
if your looking to start roy and need advice, go to handsockpuppets guide for begining roy. ;)

p.s. personally, i use marth, sheik, and roy also. sheik is who i use for warm ups, or when im rusty. marth is a good character to use when my roy fails. :)

fatalmztake

Smash Apprentice
if your looking to start roy and need advice, go to handsockpuppets guide for begining roy. ;)

p.s. personally, i use marth, sheik, and roy also. sheik is who i use for warm ups, or when im rusty. marth is a good character to use when my roy fails. :)
Well I figure if I main Marth and use him most of the time, I'll be alright since the best marth in my region is offering to help me out. And I was thinking of having Roy as my back up but to do that I need to be the best I can be with him.

Nø Ca$h

Smash Champion
if you wanna main marth and second roy, go for it. its up to you. use who your comfortable with. if you wanna get better with roy, play, play, and keep playing roy.

fatalmztake

Smash Apprentice
if you wanna main marth and second roy, go for it. its up to you. use who your comfortable with. if you wanna get better with roy, play, play, and keep playing roy.
Yeah but my melee comunity tells me to go with a high tier character and to just stick to characters mid tier up.

Nø Ca$h

Smash Champion
its seriously up to you. dont main someone cause they want to, use who you like. All the better when you prove them wrong.

Nø Ca$h

Smash Champion
SO THAN DONT USE HIM!!

if you like him use him if not than dont! simple as that.

im trying to revive a character specific thread, not a who should i use thread.

fatalmztake

Smash Apprentice
i apoligize for being so rude. main them both if you cant decide
also im kinda not the one to be asked for advice
It's cool man, no worries. I think that's probably what I'm going to end up doing, but I do have a question about Roy you probably can answer. Why do people keep telling me that Marth and Roy are completely different but yet they have the exact same attacks? The only big difference I can see would be spacing since Marth has the longer sword of the two. But How are they played completely different because of this one difference? Thought you might be able to enlighten me. If not I'll start a thread asking if this isn't the right thread. Sorry again for not being on topic :(

Nø Ca$h

Smash Champion
its ok, thats an easy question.

well marth generally has less lag than roy. marth also has a higher shorthop. so marth can usually throw out two airials in one short hop, while roy cant. roy has to depend on guerilla war tactics and bait and punish setups just to get his kills in. marth's air game is ****, arguably the best. roy has a horrible air game aside from shffls, which forces roy to rely on his ground game and shffled approaches.

theres more to it so if u dont understand fully, make a thread

fatalmztake

Smash Apprentice
its ok, thats an easy question.

well marth generally has less lag than roy. marth also has a higher shorthop. so marth can usually throw out two airials in one short hop, while roy cant. roy has to depend on guerilla war tactics and bait and punish setups just to get his kills in. marth's air game is ****, arguably the best. roy has a horrible air game aside from shffls, which forces roy to rely on his ground game and shffled approaches.

theres more to it so if u dont understand fully, make a thread
No, I understand it now thanks. I just didn't see why my melee community kept telling me their so different when I though if you figured out how to use marth well, you could apply it to Roy. Thanks for clearing that up.

TresChikon

Smash Lord
It all boils down to this:

If you plan on winning and playing professionally, play Marth.

If you want to just have fun and explore the Melee cast, by all means, go for Roy.

I main Fox, but I never use him in friendlies, it just gets so plain, it's way more fun to try out G&W or Yoshi.

With low tiers, you can only get so good, and hit a plateau, but with Fox and Marth whose styles are constantly developing, they are your best shots at staying with the times.

fatalmztake

Smash Apprentice
It all boils down to this:

If you plan on winning and playing professionally, play Marth.

If you want to just have fun and explore the Melee cast, by all means, go for Roy.

I main Fox, but I never use him in friendlies, it just gets so plain, it's way more fun to try out G&W or Yoshi.

With low tiers, you can only get so good, and hit a plateau, but with Fox and Marth whose styles are constantly developing, they are your best shots at staying with the times.
Thanks man! Yeah I think Marth is going to be my main while Roy will be my secondary.

fatalmztake

Smash Apprentice
Since this is a character specific thread. I was wondering what is Roy's hardest match up and why? Also, if you face a Marth with Roy, how do you approach him since his aerials **** and he has the spacing. Last I checked, Roy has to approach using SHFFLing uair. Any advice?

spider_sense

Smash Champion
Since this is a character specific thread. I was wondering what is Roy's hardest match up and why? Also, if you face a Marth with Roy, how do you approach him since his aerials **** and he has the spacing. Last I checked, Roy has to approach using SHFFLing uair. Any advice?
Well, space with fairs, while keeping a moderately safe distance so you don't get grabbed, if you can predict his forward smash, go in for a free grab. Also keep yourself well grounded, don't be all up in the air, unless you get yourself a d-tilt in which case you can follow it up and an upair, neutral air or another fair; all with reasonable distance. Additionally make good use of his sword dance, since (imo) Roy's is better. Also tech chase with the SHFFLing upair to f-smash or f-tilt.

Oh yeah, watch out for his DI. If he DI's behind you, then F-smash in that direction.

Nø Ca$h

Smash Champion
im not sure exactly what roys hardest match up is. peach is hard cause her radishes can be agrivating. and her dsmash basically eliminates your option of dtilt.
ganon is hard cause he can poke through your shield with all of his airs. and he can CC DED as well as other moves roy depends on. not to mention how hard he is to kill.
sheik is a panzy.

those are just off the top of my head though.

fatalmztake

Smash Apprentice
im not sure exactly what roys hardest match up is. peach is hard cause her radishes can be agrivating. and her dsmash basically eliminates your option of dtilt.
ganon is hard cause he can poke through your shield with all of his airs. and he can CC DED as well as other moves roy depends on. not to mention how hard he is to kill.
sheik is a panzy.

those are just off the top of my head though.
Alright, thanks to both of you for answering those questions.

spider_sense

Smash Champion
Yeah, Roy wrecks Falcon. I have vids. :D

Anyways, what are some applicable tech chases that Roy can use? I'm going to second Roy and make him beast. So help me out Roy boards.

Nø Ca$h

Smash Champion
dthrow and fthrow are good for tech chases. you can DD before the opponent lands to force him to tech in a direction you want. its usually best to follow up w/ another grab or DED. you need to now your opponents tech patterns thoroughly to pull an fsmash.

i.e. you grab the enemy and your back is facing the edge. you dthrow. if they tech toward the edge, fsmash. if the tech in place, fsmash. if they tech through u, fsmash or regrab. if they dont tech, fsmash.

but pls stay on topic people. xD

spider_sense

Smash Champion
dthrow and fthrow are good for tech chases. you can DD before the opponent lands to force him to tech in a direction you want. its usually best to follow up w/ another grab or DED. you need to now your opponents tech patterns thoroughly to pull an fsmash.

i.e. you grab the enemy and your back is facing the edge. you dthrow. if they tech toward the edge, fsmash. if the tech in place, fsmash. if they tech through u, fsmash or regrab. if they dont tech, fsmash.

but pls stay on topic people. xD
Ah alright. I was thinking of other means of tech-chasing, like using upairs to f-smashes, or d-tilts. Think that would work? I haven't really seen any Roy mains use that.

Nø Ca$h

Smash Champion
oh lol. i guess that would work. but uair>fsmash doesnt work on all characters / all %. like it wont work on peach or jiggs... then again, its hard to get them into a tech chase.

yeah on a fox, you can force them to tech, and then follow up w/ uair>fsmash if u would like.

vZakat

Half Genie
As far as uair for tech chasing, I only do it when they do a get-up attack. I think with roy it's better to go for the strait forward approach than try to be fancy with the uair->fsmash.

Virusbluemage

Banned via Warnings
I'm not sure if people know this already. But people may think that after dtilting you have an extreme lag afterwards, I'm sure you've been in a position where your opponents jumps or rolls away from your dtilt, and you try to block but they hit you anyways. Well it turns out that for whatever reason you can't shield out of your dtilt until the entire animation is done, but you can roll, jump, DED even wavedash out of it so really the move has hardly any lag.

Top Bottom