• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Characters on Sakurai's Poll

FlipTroopa

Smash Lord
Sakurai has said he wants to expand to a more world-friendly audience. He could still do characters like Mike, because Star Tropics, albeit an American-only release, was developed in Japan. They know it's a Nintendo franchise >.>

Personally, if he puts in people like Mike, that would completely balance the universe after they slapped us with the Fire Emblem characters in Melee. As long as his contribution to "the western world" isn't just a buttload of crappy Metroid characters, all is well. But, so far, that seems to be the way he's thinking v.v

Mushroom Pie

Smash Rookie
I didn't dare to dream that freakin' MARX could end up in this game. Surely he was too obscure, being only one boss in one subgame of one SNES game. But lo! There he is! The fact that he's even being CONSIDERED has caused many of my major organs to shut down out of pure glee.

I really hope they don't use his ball form. They'd be missing out on so much potential if they didn't use his ultimate power form.... whoah, what if the Heart of NOVA showed up as Marx's stage!?

Heck, you can think up a movelist for him in a matter of seconds!

B: The black hole thing, lasts for as long as you hold down the B button. Doesn't actually do damage, but brings enemies within a certain range closer. Also has enough lag at the end so as to keep people from abusing it in combos, though still little enough to be useful.

Over B: Chuck an axe.

Down B: Two brambles shoot out of the ground on either side of him.

Up B: BTU: Boring Thrust Upwards.

Super Move: Prepares one of the death ray things. Suddenly, the sun and moon come in to block him. He looks suprised, but rather than stopping, simply makes the beam even stronger, shooting a hole through both of them and going straight through to the stage, hitting the other characters.

Kal aMari

Smash Journeyman
Y'see, it's movesets like that why I want him to be a boss. It's really the only way they can do him justice.

Man, just the thought of Marx in Brawl...his theme starts playing, you hear the signature laugh...then BAM! he appears right in your face!

FlipTroopa

Smash Lord
Uck... it's late. But whatever; I love you guys too much to not bother ;p Just 221-230, right?

221 - Vivian from Paper Mario TTYD. Reflects on her backstory a bit.

222 - Wants Jigglypuff to stay in the game, and be just as strong as ever. Not sure on what else he is saying, but talks about how Metroid is finally getting more rep, and could use even more. He refers to the [ridori], which I assume are the Chozo (ridori is short for a larger word meaning "migratory bird, bird of passage, etc.", having some sort of appearance. Since Samus and Zamus are still one character, the game needs a true separate Metroid character, and he is, as I can see, suggesting the Chozo.

223 - Wants Ike, loves Marth and Roy and Kirby. And, finally, somebody is asking for Magical Vacation characters! No specifics, just any character (the game lets you control a whole class, so I guess there isn't just one protagonist)

224 - He likes Adult Link, and jokes about the TP look. He mentions the Super Donkey Kong (DKC) games, and says his suggestion is "D D," which I figure is Diddy (a lot of the translations are phonetic)

225 - Blah blah.. likes Snake... blah blah

226 - More blah blah...

227 - Something I don't get. He mentions Toad losing a race, but this isn't a character suggestion letter. wtf does he mean?

228 - Well boys, rejoice. The first Pokemon suggestion (finally), and it ain't Blaziken (*phew* :p). Can you guess what it is? It's an odd one...

No?...

Sainaito? "Sir Knight?"

Gardevoir *nod* Our first Pokemon suggestion on the Japanese polls is Gardevoir ;)

229 - More FE9 characters >.> Ike and Soren (if that's who [senerio] is). So we got our mage-type FE suggestion as well, guys :p

230 - Something really weird about controlling Master Hand with the Wiimote (???)

Sakurai -- Remarks that it would be a neat idea, I think. I didn't really read either letters very in depth.

kilroy

Smash Journeyman
flip, i believe ridori is ridley. and for magical vacation, he seems to be talking about the male and female protagonists.

B.W.

Smash Champion
Y'know, I was thinking today.. I would like to see them have a Hammer Mario, since Mario does in fact use a hammer as a weapon.. Though was only on the RPG Mario games.. So what? People are suggesting Geno.. So... Yeah..

Resting_Fox

Smash Master
Well if they add another Special move button, they could just give mario hammers as his X-up [Y-up] since B-up is all that's needed for recovery.

And Yeah, FlipTroopa, I figured Ridori is Ridley, too. [kilroy jsut beat me to posting]. Just put the emphasis on the first syllable and use Engarish. Besides isn't Chozo the Japanese name as well? You can check on the SSBM trophies.

Vaztor

BRoomer
BRoomer
Why are the Japanese Suggestions becoming WORSE than the Americans?
Who would want Vivian in SSBB?
Couldn't they pick a better Pokemon then Gardevoir?
Why would you want to control Master Hand?
WHERE THE HELL IS SONIC?

YOSHIDO

Smash Ace
They need some of the street fight cast. Ken, ryu, Akuma, Chunli, Guile, Bison, Vega, Blanka, Balrog maybe. Dalsim.

icymatt

Smash Lord
Vaztor said:
Chalk it up to the obscurity fans being better writers.

Viv was the most useful partner in thousand Year Door...

They chose it because it was out-of-the-norm. It's a bit refreshing after reading 1000000 pleads for Deoxys.

It's just an interesting idea.

WHERE THE HELL IS SONIC?
Well, if the people who asked for Sonic were like this, no wonder they haven't printed a Sonic suggestion yet.

Shadow Calibur

Smash Ace
Geez, Vaztor, take it easy. For Sonic, I think he might have already been placed in the Brawl roster.

As for Vivian and Gardevoir, I believe they might have a chance in being in the Brawl roster.

FlipTroopa

Smash Lord
*slaps face* Ridley XD XD

I don't know why I wasn't reading it in Engrish before XD

And Vivian is a funky idea. I kinda like it. Being able to disappear would be a nifty special move :p

The_TooCool_Master

Smash Apprentice
Vaztor said:
WHERE THE HELL IS SONIC?
You seem to not understand the point of this poll. :ohwell:

Anyway, why hasn't this been stickied yet? :confused:

Bowser85

Smash Apprentice
FlipTroopa said:
And Vivian is a funky idea. I kinda like it. Being able to disappear would be a nifty special move :p
Vivian? As in Paper Mario Vivian? That wouldn't work Flip Troopa. Notice how in the game, she never jumps? Or when she floats, her "bottom half" stays fastened into the ground while she stretches upward towards Mario? (It's hard for me to describe it really.) How can they incorporate THAT in Smash Bros.?

handy

Smash Apprentice
Gardevoir rocks! Nice to see that they at least mentioned it. Also I'm happy to see that they mentioned Jigglypuff there, the puffster has to be in the game again! :D

Masque

Keeper of the Keys
Gardevoir would be pretty nifty, I'll admit.

And Vivian? Dude, heck yes. Vivian was probably my favorite PM sidekick from either game. Special moves would be easy, considering that you could just translate and adjust them from PM2. Just don't include the other two...that would be redundant and annoying. =) But yes for Vivian!

Tomasiarity

Smash Journeyman
Aeris said:
Gardevoir would be pretty nifty, I'll admit.

And Vivian? Dude, heck yes. Vivian was probably my favorite PM sidekick from either game. Special moves would be easy, considering that you could just translate and adjust them from PM2. Just don't include the other two...that would be redundant and annoying. =) But yes for Vivian!
Gardevoir rocks! But not so much for SSBB...

As for Vivian, I would like to tell ya something. In the Japanese version...

VIVIAN ITS A MAN!!!

And I find that pretty disturbing. Here is my source: http://www.themushroomkingdom.net/pmttyd_j2e.shtml

Caston

Smash Rookie
Heh, pretty good list all in all, glad to see Krystal mentioned, i would very much like her in the game, and yes, I have been playing Starfox since it came out on the N64, so shush.

Sora is a very nice choice, I like him and he has great potential, I love kingdom hearts.

I was hoping for Deoxys instead of Gardevoir, but he's just as cool.

parrothead

Smash Lord
If Sakurai said that he will not add Japan-Only nor "not released in Japan" content, then why is he interested in adding some (e.g.: Lip, Takamaru, Sukapon, etc.)?

ilabb

Smash Apprentice
I'm glad that there is a Pokemon finally mentioned, even if this list means nothing at all in the end.

GenG

Smash Lord
parrothead said:
If Sakurai said that he will not add Japan-Only nor "not released in Japan" content, then why is he interested in adding some (e.g.: Lip, Takamaru, Sukapon, etc.)?
I don't know who made up that rumor, but it's not true. Japanese characters have the same chances to be in if they are supported. He actually said that "I don't want too many japanese-only characters".

But the more likely ones to appear are Sigurd/Celice, Stafy, Takamaru and MOTHER3 characters. Other characters are ok but these are going to be in for sure.

Jenkins: Spy Monkey

Smash Journeyman
Vivian's a great idea. I'd love to see some representation of the Paper Mario series, and Vivian was my favorite partner (except for maybe Parakarry). Even if she was really a dude.

Someone was saying earlier she wouldn't work because she's stuck to the floor, but you could easily just change her up a little bit and give her a little ghost tail instead. That way, she could just float a little.

parrothead

Smash Lord
Sakurai shouldn't add too many characters per franchise, because some people on Earth wish for obscure (but unique) characters, like the ones I mentioned. Eventhough, some are not well-known and some are Japanese-Only, I still believe they would be suitable enough to add into SSBB.

That rumor that Samurai Panda said sounds incorrect, because there were some trophies about things from Japanese titles and other lesser-known titles, as well as when Sakurai added Captain Falcon and Ness in SSB64, Marth, Roy, the Ice Climbers, and Mr. Game & Watch in SSBM, and Pit and some other obscure/Japanese characters in SSBB.

FlipTroopa

Smash Lord
Bowser85 said:
Vivian? As in Paper Mario Vivian? That wouldn't work Flip Troopa. Notice how in the game, she never jumps? Or when she floats, her "bottom half" stays fastened into the ground while she stretches upward towards Mario? (It's hard for me to describe it really.) How can they incorporate THAT in Smash Bros.?
Well, she still "jumps" out of Mario's pocket, and when you leap onto platforms, her "tail" simply slides and finds a new base on that higher platform. It could be done. Not saying I want her in the game, but it's a unique idea.

And Sakurai said that now that Smash is world-renowned, he can't focus too heavily on Japan-only characters. But he might still do it because the FE guys were so popular.

I think what happened was that SSB he never expected to warrant a sequel. And it did. And he never expected Melee to be received so well outside of Japan. But it was. And now he's finally catering and accepting that Smash is a smash hit all over the place, and so he's going to try and please all of us. If this, in his mind, means not adding characters we've never seen before, then yeah, I guess that works. Personally I think it's the charm of Smash Bros. to see Japan-only characters (OR Western-only characters for our Eastern friends :p) because it expands the Nintendo fanbase that much further.

On that same note, I hope we're all just really overreading what he said. Because you could also read it to imply he's limiting obscure characters, if he wants to keep it recognizable to a world audience. He wants interesting, not popular, but interesting doesn't always equal obscure either. It could just mean the difference between a Wario and a Daisy. Wario is more unique and interesting as a fighter in game; Daisy is just really popular.

icymatt

Smash Lord
I did. Here's the stuff I recognized off the bat:

236. Wants Krystal
237. Wants the main character from DrillDozer
246. Wants Demiru (From Tomato Adventure)
249. Likes villains like Bowser and Ganondorf. Asks for Ridley.

The last guy also wonders if Meta Knight will use Kirby's victory theme.

Bowser85

Smash Apprentice
That's a good question actually. I can't imagine Metaknight doing a pose to that tune without pulling off a dance like Kirby. And why would Metaknight do the Kirby dance anyway? :laugh:

Sensai

Smash Master
Bowser85 said:
That's a good question actually. I can't imagine Metaknight doing a pose to that tune without pulling off a dance like Kirby. And why would Metaknight do the Kirby dance anyway? :laugh:
Ah, didn't you know Meta is actually Kirby's cross-dressing wife? So, maybe he'll (she'll) strip for us as his victory dance.

No, I'm making that up.

I agree, a lot of those characters are pretty crappy, but there are some jewels in there.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
Someone finally mentioned Jill from Drill Dozer

And this may just be me, but I expect more Japaness ccharacters in this game. There so many areas to take from.

parrothead

Smash Lord
Finally, Demiru/Demille is now on the list. That Demiru/Demille submission tells about his hilarious dancing and acting.

FlipTroopa

Smash Lord
Jill? Really? ^_______________________________^

I am about 99% sure, even before seeing her on this poll, she's in Brawl. Far too cool and original an idea not to include.

Okay guys, lemme work my LOL MAJIC

231-- Reminisces about Melee. Notes that Meta's cape deflects attacks.
232-- Famicom Wars suggestions! (Adv. Wars before Advance Wars for the rest of ya ;p) He wants the themes of Blue Moon and Red Star from the NES game in there, a Famicom Wars stage, and... He mentions including a character. I'm not sure if he's asking for a generic soldier, or suggesting that they appear as stage hazards with their vehicles on such and such character's stage.
233-- YES! He asks for Yoshi's Island "Athletic" as a track :D :D He also wants a stage from Yoshi's Island, not Story. He also wants a Wario Ware stage, with Mona Pizza's music or Ashley's Theme.
234-- Rambling, supports Sakurai and team.
235-- Majipuji? Anyone know who that is?
236-- Krystal. Also wants Slippy to make comments for both Krystal and Fox when they need help in battle, like he did in Melee with the secret taunt. Says he likes Wario and Snake.
237-- Jill from Drill Dozer :D He mentions how unique she could be, and the usefulness of a drill in battle. He says Drill Dozer looks like a kid's game, but if you actually play it, it's very very deep, and challenging (I can attest to that fact; very fun and involved game :p)
238-- He says Bowser needs to stay, because he's the perfect villain. He also, I think, is asking if Peach will change a little, now that she has her own game (though it's ambiguous; he doesn't refer to whatever it is he's talking about by exact name, just asking if she'll change). He also wants something called [guriguri]. That's not Green Greens, is it? He refers to it as if it were a character.
239-- Rambling.
240-- Asks if Snake will use more realistic weapons.

Sakurai-- Translated by Samurai already; says that even something like a survival knife can be seen as mature in some areas, so Snake needs to be limited. They are planning on a rocket launcher and grenades so far.

241-- Says he's Japanese, but now lives in New Zealand, and how the tourney scene is different b/w the two nations.
242-- Rambling a LOT. He mentions Pursuit Noboru here, too... what was that again?
243-- Rambling about developers and Oematsu.
244-- Worries that Snake, who is from a M rated series, will hold kids back from playing this game. Afraid of sales, since he works at a game shop.
245-- Something about the Sakurai "elegance song." Hm? Nothing to do with characters.
246-- Demiru from Tomato Adventure. He goes on about what cool tools he could use, and how great an addition he could make, since it was such a quirky game. He gives music suggestions, a stage suggestion, and other cameos. This guy is crazy about this game o.O
247-- Geno, for the third or fourth time. Awesome! ^.^ He basically cuts and pastes a previous suggestion for Geno, and points to it like "Here V" lol.
248-- Not sure what the hell he is talking about. I think Yamauchi.
249-- Hey Ridley fans, you can quit whining: this is a confirmed request for the character (others were a bit shaky, if I'm not mistaken). This guy mentions how often villains lose, and that's why Smash is great: because Bowser, Ganon, and, hopefully now, Ridley can finally kick their respective heroes to the floor :p
250-- Asks why Meta Knight is in the Kirby group, since the Kirby Win anthem does not suit him at all. He also remarks that it's weird other characters have this too, like Dr. Mario, Peach, and Bowser.

Sakurai-- Samurai took care of it already. Sakurai says that Meta Knight will get a rock remix of the Kirby Dance. Whether this means other characters from the same series get similar treatment I'm not sure.

Sniffnoy

Smash Cadet
FlipTroopa said:
238-- He says Bowser needs to stay, because he's the perfect villain. He also, I think, is asking if Peach will change a little, now that she has her own game (though it's ambiguous; he doesn't refer to whatever it is he's talking about by exact name, just asking if she'll change). He also wants something called [guriguri]. That's not Green Greens, is it? He refers to it as if it were a character.
I have no idea about the [majipuji]. The Japanese Wikipedia returns several meanings for [guriguri]:

Google-Translated Japanese Wikipedia entry for [guriguri]

So we have either:

1. An onomatopeia. I think we can rule this out.
2. Some anime character. Sakurai said no manga characters, I suppose he didn't say no anime characters...
3. "Green Green", Some Japanese game, a romantic game banned for those under 18 - a pornographic game? This sounds very unlikely.
3b. It's just an abbreviation for Green Greens, here meaning the Kirby level.
4. Some tune by some band. Not game related at all.
5. Something completely different not listed there at all...

...hm, I suppose that actually didn't help very much. :-/

Top Bottom