• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Charizard's Rock Smash

HeroXL

Smash Journeyman
Anyone think it weird that NO ONE has used it in any of the videos yet? If anyone has seen this elusive attack being used, please share.

Al Calnos

Smash Journeyman
I've seen it a few times, but don't feel like digging through Youtube for them...

Granted, I don't remember seeing anyone landing it... It has short range, but looks like it could do some decent damage.

Wyvern

Smash Journeyman
I've seen it used. He just hits the rock with his head and it shatters immediately, hitting people in melee range. I was disappointed...I thought it would be a short-range projectile, like he launched the boulder at someone or something. It's pretty much just an alternate forward smash, though.

Gerudo Warrior

Smash Master
i have seen it. It does not seem like it has any use as of yet. I guess we will find a use for it. But Charizard is a Monster. Smacking a rock on his head!

Wizard99

Smash Journeyman
Seems like it has too much lag to be used effectively. Just like Ness's neutral B...

ngtm

Smash Cadet
its an amazing edge guard..what you can do is jump up a couple of times and fall down into the rocksmash while they enemy is trying to recover. It goes a little past melee range and is a very decent attack. but it does have some delay which means that it should be used pretty sparingly. also the attack can just be used on the edge when someone is hanging off the ledge. It has amazing vertical range- it basically makes an extending sphere of damage separated from charizard in a sense.

Kujirudo

Smash Lord
I remember watching a video where a guy used Rock Smash about 5 times in a row without landing it. It sure is weird that they didn't make it a projectile, that would make more sense actually.

ngtm

Smash Cadet
ya you might be right but i definitely think charizard is made to balance against the other pokemon and their projectile focus.- maybe to match bowser a little. Sure a ranged attack would be nice but it just adds an extra facet to ptrain by making different pokemon have different focuses.

Chaotic Yoshi

Smash Lord
It's very useful.
It's on par with a forward smash, but the rock smash is quicker.
It act's as a disjointed hitbox (I blocked projectiles and stuff with timing it).
It looks awesome (important).
Good edgeguarding.
Gives you a decent disjointed wall when recovering to avoid getting knocked further out.

ngtm

Smash Cadet
It's very useful.
It's on par with a forward smash, but the rock smash is quicker.
It act's as a disjointed hitbox (I blocked projectiles and stuff with timing it).
It looks awesome (important).
Good edgeguarding.
Gives you a decent disjointed wall when recovering to avoid getting knocked further out.
amen..exactly what i've been trying to say this whole time i love it

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
the reason they aren't using it is because it's not good... the only utility I've dound for it thus far is using it in the air and hitting when I land... and even then... almost never...

really his Fsmash and his Fair are so much better... there's just no reason to use it... it's a nearly worthless move

ngtm

Smash Cadet
the reason they aren't using it is because it's not good... the only utility I've dound for it thus far is using it in the air and hitting when I land... and even then... almost never...

really his Fsmash and his Fair are so much better... there's just no reason to use it... it's a nearly worthless move
i really don't think you've found the good use for it yet. it has its place just keep looking. it has its positive regards too it just seems like you're ignoring it. my support is just to repeat what Chaotic was saying. There are a lot of attacks like that- you plan ahead and know when to use it.

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
i really don't think you've found the good use for it yet. it has its place just keep looking. it has its positive regards too it just seems like you're ignoring it. my support is just to repeat what Chaotic was saying. There are a lot of attacks like that- you plan ahead and know when to use it.
oh no.. I didn't igroe i, but after I fiound out his Fsnash came out quicker and hit harder, I deemede rocksmash unecessary... it breaks stages quickly though

ngtm

Smash Cadet
oh no.. I didn't igroe i, but after I fiound out his Fsnash came out quicker and hit harder, I deemede rocksmash unecessary... it breaks stages quickly though
are u sure it hits harder? either way what rocksmash does is that it has lasting damage so if you attack someone with their shield up it'll most likely break through it and still knock them away if they're shielding. Theres also a possibility of dropping guard early but i've seen both happen. its just another hard hitting attack with its own positives and negatives. it definitely has a place in a brawl tho.

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
rocksmash has a few hits too it... unless you hit with all three, it does less damage than Fsmash. even if you do, it has less knockback. It reams sheilds and terrain, but it's so slow.

ngtm

Smash Cadet
I find the fsmash much slower than the rock smash. I use rock smash to get back on to the field now off the ledge, very useful attack.
totally agreed fsmash seemed slower and less mindgamesy in general. they both have their spots...keep for creative play i think ruling out one move for another isn't a good way of looking at it...

Sliverstorm

Smash Cadet
it has great knockback. It was my kill move for a while. The thing is, the hit+knockback come at the end of the move. The rock shows up, he hits it, it explodes, and THEN come the dmg. I don't know how it compares to Fsmash in dmg+knock, but you can do it coming down out of the air, lining up the rock with your enemy- i.e. it has an advantage over Fsmash in that you can start the attack in midair instead of being a sitting duck.

ngtm

Smash Cadet
it has great knockback. It was my kill move for a while. The thing is, the hit+knockback come at the end of the move. The rock shows up, he hits it, it explodes, and THEN come the dmg. I don't know how it compares to Fsmash in dmg+knock, but you can do it coming down out of the air, lining up the rock with your enemy- i.e. it has an advantage over Fsmash in that you can start the attack in midair instead of being a sitting duck.
AGREED this is what i've been trying to convey this whole time props to you my friend...its just you have to think ahead with it...like how you play with a lot of the heavy weight characters. its a good move- i love it

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
it does look fun though, I mean charizard bashes a rock with his head... but, besides being great for target test, it just wasn't stellar. it does great damage if you can hit with the whole attack, which normally doesn't happen... but it's terrible for KOs... it just ain't that great a move

Rhubarbo

Smash Champion
Charizard shouldn't have EVER had Rock Smash. Seriously, before Pokemon Trainer was confirmed, if someone asked you to make a Charizard moveset, you'd never put Rock Smash as a move.

Charizard could have had dig, seismic toss, sword dance and many more. Actuall, I think Charizard's specials should have been like this:

^ Fly: Instead of working the way it does, Charizard would ascend vertically, then charge downwards diagonally.

> Fire Blast: Charizard releases a fire ball which grows the farther it travels

Neutral Dig: Charizard digs underground. You can move him around and release the button to have him re-immerge.

Final Smash Blast Burn: Charizard unleashes a fireball, which when makes contact, has similar effects to a smart bomb.

Zauron

Smash Journeyman
I now understand the point of this weird move since a friend used it against me.

It's basically a smash plus blocking at the same time, with the ability to use it in mid-air.

The rock appears instantly and while out, protects from all attacks from the front and prevents anyone moving past it. Prpjectiles and melee attacks hit the rock and do no damage, and it pushes people back out of grab range. Then the rock is smashed which is a decent attack with multiple hit boxes, and of course these also stop incoming attacks.

A friend put their back at the edge of the stage and started hopping and spamming this and it was very difficult to hit them without getting hit by the attack. We went from thinking it was useless to whining that it was cheap and irritating. He even started using it as a wicked off-stage edge guard since the rock made it hard to slip past him in mid-air.

Niko_K

Smash Master
In a match against Percon, the Rock Smash did a full 40 damage to me. I believe this was caused by the close range and all the rocks hitting me..Its on video if it has never been seen yet.

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
<_< the rock most definitely will not block things.

however, I've decided that I like the attack, it's a nice way to put a free 35% damage on your enemy at the begining of the match

Seison

Smash Journeyman
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zqn-rukQvKI

here is a video that shows rock smash in action. its at 0:17 seconds. It look to have more range than people have been saying. I saw it in another video too, and it had huge knockback. I don't remember what percent his opponent was at though.

I.T.P

Smash Ace
I dunno, I didn't find it very usefull, I still think it's slow and weak, and hitting it properly is very hard, his Fsmash is much better, and so is his Fair - the edge guard monster move.

but hey, I only started maining him(the trainer) a couple days ago, I might be wrong. I'll definately try what zauron said.

still, Zenigame for the win!

Zauron

Smash Journeyman
<_< the rock most definitely will not block things.

however, I've decided that I like the attack, it's a nice way to put a free 35% damage on your enemy at the begining of the match
Are you sure? Have you tested this thoroughly? It sure seemed to be blocking things when we tried it. I would go in with air attacks and projectiles and they would not hit charizard, just hit the rock he had in front of him instead. Maybe it doesn't offer complete protection (low attacks would probably get past the rock), but it does make it very difficult to hit him from the front while the rock is out.

Perhaps he is also unflinching during the rock attack? If so, that may also have contributed to our difficulty with stopping him from spamming the rock attack over and over without being knocked out of it by our attacks. This was one guy against 2 others doing nothing but trying to stop him, he finished us off just spamming that one attack the first time he decided to test it out. Now he doesn't spam it but anytime someone starts to dash or short hop toward him, he does the rock attack and always hits them without them being able to hit him. The FSmash is not anywhere near as effective at stopping people from rushing him.

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
Are you sure? Have you tested this thoroughly? It sure seemed to be blocking things when we tried it. I would go in with air attacks and projectiles and they would not hit charizard, just hit the rock he had in front of him instead. Maybe it doesn't offer complete protection (low attacks would probably get past the rock), but it does make it very difficult to hit him from the front while the rock is out.

Perhaps he is also unflinching during the rock attack? If so, that may also have contributed to our difficulty with stopping him from spamming the rock attack over and over without being knocked out of it by our attacks. This was one guy against 2 others doing nothing but trying to stop him, he finished us off just spamming that one attack the first time he decided to test it out. Now he doesn't spam it but anytime someone starts to dash or short hop toward him, he does the rock attack and always hits them without them being able to hit him. The FSmash is not anywhere near as effective at stopping people from rushing him.
nope.. I've definitely eaten projectile fire to the face through the rock.

Sliverstorm

Smash Cadet
I forgot to add, I'm pretty sure this is a sheildbreaker. Either that or it just does so much dmg it breaks the shield- either way, ppl don't seem to be able to sheild against it. Don't just give up on a move right away- if anything, this move probably holds the most utility potential- i.e., it does things besides just dmg.

Top Bottom