• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Charizard's Rock Smash

storm92

Smash Ace
As the title says, that weird hitbox is getting me with approaches on Charizard. My friend, who's also a competitive player, uses PT as a main, and with Ivy and Squirtle there's rarely a problem for me. Most the time, Charizard is easy to take out, being a large target, heavy and easy to punish with some laggy moves.
The problem is when he "camps" with Zard and Rock Smash spams. (I know, that sounds nooby)
With any character with a projectile, that would be simple to take care of, but seeing as I main Kirby, the only thing I have to work with is Final Cutter.
I of course have attempted Final Cutter, but half the time Rock Smash and FC's hitbox cancel out, and nothing happens, and the other half the time he just dodges/rolls to the edge and resumes. If I try to approach straight on, the disjointed hitbox murders me, even Fair which although seems to cancel out the rock bits, I'm hit by the end animation. I've attempted basically everything, including SH+Dair, Jump+Rock, SH+Hammer, and nothing's really seemed to work.
The worst part is, he does this camping when he's at a high percentage, so I'm trying to go for a kill and can't really sit back.
I was thinking maybe taking Charizard's ability and attempting to outrange him with Flamethrower, but I haven't got to try that out.
Help, please?

Kirby Magatsu

Smash Journeyman
I would suggest swallow the flamethrower, but with the lag your friend can punish you, try Dtilts, he is disjointed hitbox, besides the Kirby hitbox is reduced, and Dtilt can cause tripping in the tip, if the Charizard was at high percentage you can punish him with hammer or Fsmash.

But, i can't imagine the rock smash being so annoying ._.

Stalfoe

Smash Apprentice
Take Squirtle's or Charizard's power to out range him. Don't force the approach if you keep getting nailed by the rock smash. He will have to come to you eventually and at least you have something to pelt him with from a distance.

storm92

Smash Ace
I would suggest swallow the flamethrower, but with the lag your friend can punish you, try Dtilts, he is disjointed hitbox, besides the Kirby hitbox is reduced, and Dtilt can cause tripping in the tip, if the Charizard was at high percentage you can punish him with hammer or Fsmash.

But, i can't imagine the rock smash being so annoying ._.
Alright thanks, I'll try it out.
And yeah, I never imagined Rock Smash being so annoying seeing as its a fairly slow move, but because we were playing on Wi-Fi, the lag was getting the best of my ability to approach well and air dodge so I had to approach straight-forward.

Chexr

Smash Ace
For Rock Smash perfect shield the first hit and normal shield the rest. Then dash (to make up for push back from shards) and just grab him.

You should be quick enough to stop charizard from ever starting the flamethrower cause its so slow but if he gets it off it's easy to fly over him and dair it.

Dont try to steal the pokemon trainers powers It'll probably just hurt you more than it'll help and I wouldn't recommend camping or letting people camp with Kirby. It's better to be as close as you can be up in their face.

edit: Oops didn't see it was for on Wi-Fi. I don't touch the stuff normally but kirby's really bad with lag. I wouldn't worry about it.

SpikeSpiegel19

Smash Ace
in my opinion neutral B is Kirby's trump card by far. It can protect ur approach against campy characters in these situations. Also i test the neutral B against Charizard's rock smash with great success.

storm92

Smash Ace
After playing for a solid 2 hours with him today, I can say that the SH+AD+Bair from behind before he can turn and Rock Smash again works great. Charizard's Flamethrower works decently, and as Gonzo said his neutral B works really well too. I'm not having problems with this anymore now, thanks everyone. ^-^

kenja0

Smash Apprentice
"If I take a rock and smash it on my head, I will (defeat my enemy and) win the battle."

"What are my options? I know! I'll take a rock and smash it up against my head! Take THAT!"

"Oh no! He's going to smash his head on a rock, take cover everyone!"

"He completely pwnd me: he took a rock and ..." etc

If you think about it, it's kinda goofy. What was Sakurai thinking to use such a strange Pokemon attack? But it works as an offense which is kinda funny.

Walk up and do perfect-shields, he'll be provoked to move, your chance to attack him.

chingy

Smash Apprentice
charizard looks etally challenged slamming a rock on his head lmao well try copyin the flamthrower it might not wrok but oh well i think u should roll and dodge o get behind him and use the down smash if hes at high percentages he will fly up and die 0_o

Bnana

Smash Rookie
I would float above him and down B but that leaves a high risk for punishment if you miss...

SparkEd

Smash Journeyman
...I'm pretty sure you can just simply approach him and sidestep. :| Then again, the duration of the attack is easily overlooked.

Just shield it, grab if possible.

Azgner

Smash Apprentice
Stall him till Charizard gets tired, and he has to switch >_>
That's a good idea, but maybe he will prefer to play as a tired charizard. I mean, if he is able to keep his opponent at bay, reduced damage % e knockback wont scare him. But you might wait for him to tire before doing anything, just to be safer.

Top Bottom