• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Charlotte, NC: ACM Brawl & SCIV Tournament

East

Crappy Imitation
Doing Tricks in a Mansion Location: Tokyo, JP
Quoted from the guy who made this under tournament listings. Maybe it'll get a little more publicity here...

Meant to get this up sooner. We're doing this tournament in a different building, Overcash, to try to accomodate for space. Still keeping the alternations on Brawl's rulesets. I need to find out the number of people interested in the various traditional fighters (Marvel, 3S, GG) to get an idea of what to host since they didn't get a good turnout (though the pentathalon did well). Likewise, I'd like to try to have an N64 Smash Bros tournament going but I need to see the interest.

Saturday, October 18th - 1PM to 9PM. The main events will be our Brawl No Item tournament and our Soul Calibur IV tournament. Spectators will get in free. Entrants will pay $5 for the host/cover charge while the actual tournament entry fee will be $10 for each. The Brawl Cage matches tournament entry fee is $2. Full rules and division of winnings outlined below. We will also be selling $1 tickets for our prize drawings where the winners will be able to pick from various gift cards. Tournament entrants get a ticket for the prize drawings free. We'll be selling Papa Johns pizza for $2 a slice and canned sodas for $1 with a dinner deal of 2 slices and a soda for $4.

Any mid round rule changes by entrants are subject to disqualification.

-----

Soul Calibur IV (Xbox 360) - $10

* Double Elimination. Matches will be best 3/5 rounds, finals best 4/7 rounds.
*Stages set to random select
*Algol, Yoda, Vader and created characters are banned. Apprentice allowed.
* Prize winning percentages will be 70/20/10 (1st, 2nd, 3rd)

-----

Brawl No Item tournament - $10

We'll be doing things a bit more traditionally than we did with our item tournament so I'm copying this from a few other rulesets with a few edits.

* Matches will be Three Stock, 7 minute time limit.
* Double Elimination. All matches will be 2/3, with all finals being 3/5.
* Random seeding will be done by location. This is due to us not having our own ranking charts for skill levels.
* First match is a blind pick, where the competitors will tell their character to a judge (including special forms like Zero Suit Samus or selecting a specific Pokemon Trainer starter) then proceed. The stage will be random selected from the list of Neutral stages. The loser of the first match will then pick the next stage from the list of Neutral or Counterpick stages, then the winner may choose his character, the loser will choose his character, and the match will begin. The same will happen for the third match, if necessary.
* The same stage can not be played twice in a row in a single set unless by random select.
* Players who are late for their match will lose a stock for each pasing minute they are not present. If/when they show up, they will have to play the full match time period with the reduced stock.
* Stalling underneath a stage is an automatic disqualification for that match.
* Prize winning percentages will be 70/20/10 (1st, 2nd, 3rd)

Neutral:

* Final Destination, Battlefield, Yoshi's Story, Smashville, Lylat Cruise

Stages for Counterpick:

* Delfino Plaza, Distant Planet, Luigi's Mansion, Bridge of Eldin, Frigate Orpheon, Battleship Halberd, Castle Siege, Corneria, Rainbow Cruise, Green Greens, Brinstar, Pokemon Stadium 1, Yoshi's Island (melee)

NOTE: You may play any banned stage as long as both you and your opponent agree and ask a judge. If both agree, there will be no complaints.

Banned Stages:

* Hanenbow, Pictochat, Green Hill Zone, Mario Circuit, Skyworld, Norfair, Mushroomy Kingdom, Rumble Falls, Pokemon Stadium 2, Spear Pillar, Port Town: Aero Dive, Shadow Moses Island, 75m, Mario Bros Arcade, The Summit, Flatzone 2, WarioWare Inc, New Pork City, Hyrule, Big Blue, Onett

-----

Brawl Cage Match tournament - $2

This is our third cage match event. The others went well, despite not having a lot of entrants. A good point was brought up about Heavy Gravity being a huge setback for heavy characters so we may opt not to use it. Then again, without it some characters have huge runaway abilities. Ice Climbers might get an HP nerf to compensate for the partner having full HP.

* Heavy Gravity will be on. (tenative)
* Damage set to 1.2%
* Matches will be 200HP, Four minute time limit. The one with the most HP at time limit wins.
*No items.
* Double Elimination. All matches will be 2/3, with all finals being 3/5.
* First match is a blind pick, where the competitors will tell their character to a judge (including special forms like Zero Suit Samus or selecting a specific Pokemon Trainer starter) then proceed. The stage will be random selected from the Cage match stages (Shadow Moses Island + created stages). The loser of the first match will then pick the next stage from the list of Cage match stages or choose a different character, while the winner keeps their character. The same will happen for the third match, if necessary.
* Prize winning percentages will be 70/20/10 (1st, 2nd, 3rd).

Location and directions

Overcash Building Room 213 (New building & room - 2nd floor)
Central Piedmont Community College
1201 Elizabeth Ave
Charlotte, NC 28204

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=...35217452,-80831213,4964217294133329492&dtab=0

Visitor parking is in the new (brick) parking deck next to the bookstore and across the street from the old (concrete) parking deck and the IT building. There is a lot of road construction nearby. The Overcash building is straight down the sidewalk ("Bojangles building") with the entrance being to the right of the Bojangles entrance. There you will see the box office/theatre area, the elevator, and the large steps to the second floor. The room will be down the hall to the left after you come off the stairs/elevator.

East

Crappy Imitation
So I sent him a message to get some information, but I checked his activity and he hasn't logged on since the 9th of this month. Unfortunately I don't have any contact info, and I live on the other side of uptown [Johnson and Wales] so I dont' care to just take a trip all the way there and then have to come all the way back, if I dont' have to [no car]. Hopefully Zamuel will respond, if not, this may be a flop.

Zamuel

Smash Cadet
I owe everyone a formal apology for not responding sooner. This is actually our 4th tournament and due to previous tournament listings on SWF getting few to no responses I wasn't actively checking this. Since we've been alternating between a modified version of Jack Keiser's Item Standard Play and normal No Item play, I assumed I had been shunned for item play and people weren't coming. Most people we get tend be regulars from CPCC, some guys from UNCC, and a stray pickup here and there from advertisements.

Signups start at 1PM and the tourneys start around 2PM. We tend to have 16 for the main Smash tournament and 8 for the Stamina mode.

[edit] I'm a bit of a nut so I'm more than willing to actually walk down to J&W if you know of any spots around your campus I can post my flyers. I need to figure out who keeps tearing the down over here at CP...

East

Crappy Imitation
Unfortunately J&W has this stupid *** posting policy, where you could actually get into legal trouble for posting up "unapproved flyers" by the campus activities boards. Luckily, I know a great deal of, if not all the smash players here so I've been giving out the word as much as possible. I have one friend who really wants to come and two other possible friends coming with me. The next time you do this, let me know in advance and [because I actually hold a little bit of power and leverage at the university] I'll see what I can do advertisement-wise. But the most I would be able to do today is post a flyer on my own door.

EDIT: Also I'll be more than happy to do some stat keeping, and if you have a few extra DVD-RW's or DVD-R's and a DVD Recorder I can see if I can rip, cut, and post some of the matches here on Smashboards.

Zamuel

Smash Cadet
That doesn't surprise me as far as the flyers are concerned, but that would be a big help with recording stuff. Previously, I had put some low quality stuff stuff on my YouTube when I hand-cammed but I just bought a Dazzle to try to direct feed (still need to set it up though...). There's only one computer in the room so I only expected to record the finals for a few of the games.

I also have a question about the J&W guys. We've been alternating item and no-item play. Since the next fighting tournament (November?) will be be items on, will they still be interested in entering or not?

BTW, do you know how to use tio?

East

Crappy Imitation
I'm pretty sure that one of the guys doesn't care if items are on or off. I know myself and my friend Blur don't care for items, and I'm not sure about the 4th guy. If you guys were to host an item play tourney, I'd probably come for a few friendlies, and probably help out with set-up but probably wouldn't partake in the brawl tourney.

I don't know much about the dazzle, other than the name and what it doe, but I'll do a little research. I'm sure you're gonna need a spare set of AV cables though.

And no, I've never heard of Tio, what is it? Movie editing software?

Zamuel

Smash Cadet
And no, I've never heard of Tio, what is it? Movie editing software?
It is actually software for setting up tournament brackets: http://www.allisbrawl.com/tio/

Nobody will be there if items are allowed. Trust me, I'm Dark Hart.
The interesting thing about items on vs off at our events is that while the exact people has shifted, both have had the same number of entrants. I support both and can understand the views of people from each side.

stingers

Smash Obsessed
:(

Is anyone gonna be driving past Hickory for this shindig?

I'll pay for gas :laugh:

I haven't been to a tourney in so long :(

East

Crappy Imitation
Well, I figure there isn't anything wrong with letting the casual players have a tournament every once in a while. I'm not a casual player, but I could see how it would appeal to them, like competitive play appeals to me.

Diff'rent Strokes said:
They'll have theirs, and you'll have yours, and I'll have mine.
And together we'll be fine....

Because it takes, Diff'rent Strokes to move the world.
Yes it does.
It takes, Diff'rent Strokes to move the world.
Sorry Stingers, won't be passing by, unless Hickory is some small town inside the bank of america or wachovia building. I'm in uptown charlotte.

stingers

Smash Obsessed
'tis cool East :p I wasn't expecting much of a response anyway :( Hickory is a ****ty town :laugh:

Hopefully I'll be able to make a different (non-item) event you guys have :p

East

Crappy Imitation
Hey Zam,

I've been workin with the tournament organizer, and I think I've gotten it down. Do you need me to come over Saturday a little early to help get the video recording down and make sure everything is up and running?

P.S. Tio is freakin sweet!

Zamuel

Smash Cadet
Hey Zam,

I've been workin with the tournament organizer, and I think I've gotten it down. Do you need me to come over Saturday a little early to help get the video recording down and make sure everything is up and running?

P.S. Tio is freakin sweet!
Sure. 12PM is unload/setup time, which gets you first dibs on free pastries (but also involves unloading the truck...)

And yes, Tio is made of win

Top Bottom