• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Chicago-Land Power Rankings (Updated 12/30/2011)

ORLY

Smash Master
Vro and Rat would be an excellent applicants, IMO.

But Matt and Cosmo are solid too.

Dart!

Smash Master
im all for matt and cosmo cause they are the only options....but there are alot more worthy ppl in the MW that should be in the mbr....i also think commitment to the game should be thought on for members, and cosmo/matt dont have ALOT of commitment as say someone like dart :/.

that being said, MW should step its backroom members up!
i go to tournaments, alot. other than that i don't really have much of a "voice/opinion" i just play. if only that was good enough to get me in -_-

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
You better flex your fingers, youre gonna have a lot of typing to do roy lolololol

edit- also, why wouldn't i be a good candidate? I'm the only person in the chicago area who actually puts work into the community... everyone else just plays the game. MBR is more about active discussion and they have projects coming up that they need people to put work into. Its not an empty title or anything like that.

sanchaz

Smash Lord
You better flex your fingers, youre gonna have a lot of typing to do roy lolololol

edit- also, why wouldn't i be a good candidate? I'm the only person in the chicago area who actually puts work into the community... everyone else just plays the game. MBR is more about active discussion and they have projects coming up that they need people to put work into. Its not an empty title or anything like that.
Sveet, this is sooo true, no one else in chicago does shiz in the community in the chicago area, just think what would happen if you stop hosting tourneys. people in the chicago may be the best in the midwest, but jesus chirst, help this guy out! Shout out to sveet for doing work. and yea I'm lurking

HoChiMinhTrail

Smash Master

you are a fine canidate, i am just itching to **** someone at this game. how do we help you out?

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
Roy, lets SC2 it up. I'm switching [back] to terran methinks

As for smash goes, who knows the next time we will be in the same room.

Rat

Smash Lord
Yeah, I need to talk to vro some more though.

Also I'm applying to that MBR thing too. I need to link the awesome work I did in the PR group so I'm reposting it here.

Also sveet don't be a hater. You do a ton around here, but other people also kick ***. Trail started the MW livestream thing. I host smashfests. Vro ran the motherfing VRO ZONE.

Awesome PR stuff
Rat said:
Alright all you ****nballs. I'm pulling a sveet!!

Here's a list which takes 2 things into consideration: Size and Placement.

Tournaments I used:
POE3
SCSYN3
SSBO XLV
SG: NG1
SSBO XLVI
SSBO XLVII
HD: Remix
SG: NG2
Vro Zone (July edition)
MAS July

Please note that this is a raw version. Imma do more stuff to it later.

Power Rankings:
Rank - Name - Average Score

1) Kels 9.420613088

2) TomR 9.173917828

3) Tink 9.082974739

4) MattR 8.950340798

5) Cosmo 8.833127518

6) Dart! 8.356557673

7) Andale 8.247270086

8) Little_England 8.169013707

9) BigD 8.039011552

10) Rat 7.947640998

11) Goosefactor 7.897010397

12) Trail 7.851998824

13) Vro 7.558788753

14) KirkQ 7.508557371

15) 18Spikes 7.435226515

16) Fro 7.313750532

17) Jayford 7.260580369

18) ORLY 7.187004068

19) Sveet 7.083510799

20) John! 6.941128877

21) IamtheMicrowave 6.815009065

22) Al Cheato 6.578735632

23) Vorheese 6.536406769

24) Captain Pron 6.371465072

25) CykoFox 6.108636654

26) LanceinthePants 6.005561568

27) Looshkin 5.997230295

28) Bees 5.702345702

29) ******** 5.698841699

Here's the formula I used:
(#ofEntrants * 10) / (TournamentPlacing + #ofEntrants)

It generates a number between 9.999999 and 5. Basically the closer you get to first the closer to 10 you get. The closer you get to last the closer to 5 you get.

Cons:
Small Tournaments are volatile.
Take SG: NG1
Vro got a 6.4 @ 9th place
whereas Tom got a 9.411764706 @ 1st.

So some results are a bit off. I had a modifier where winning a tournament was auto worth 10 (instead of some number around 9.X) not sure if that was good or bad now.

The next step is to give a Weight Value to each tournament, then run the numbers again. I'll give you those results when they are done.

Also if you want all of the data i've created I can upload it or something.

john!

Smash Hero
i like rat's idea of a statistically based list. that being said, it seems like purdue's biweeklies give them an inflated ranking (e.g. fro/jayford placing over chris/joe/me). maybe this will disappear once the tournaments are weighted.

and i support all you guys who are trying to get into the mbr. rep the midwest! :cool:

Devil Ray

Smash Lord
rat's list only measures tournament performance, it doesn't necessarily list who the best players are in what order.

if smash was a sport where everyone attended every tournament, then this would be the best way to measure that. but with distance, laziness, money, whatever...not everyone will be able to play each other or attend the same tourny. deku not being there is obviously not legit

either way, for a power ranking you're gonna need some subjective reasoning. you can use numbers and some guesswork, but i don't think you can use just either one.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
Rat, i think you would be a great in the MBR, but im simply saying that most of the people from the midwest are barely active in the regional boards, let alone posting in the back room frequently. TBH i don't think many people would really put real work into the proposed backroom projects besides you, juggleguy, myself and maybe a few others. But my opinion doesn't matter in terms of who is picked. I will support anyone who is picked.

HoChiMinhTrail

Smash Master
rat's list only measures tournament performance, it doesn't necessarily list who the best players are in what order.
Although this may be true, how else can you realistically rank players without starting a huge debate lol. Raw data should be the basis behind any legit ranking system. Besides, those who are above me know that i roll on them, that's all that matters :).

Also, what ever happend to all round robin tournies, I feel that those are the only tournies that truely represent who the best players are.

Rat

Smash Lord
Here are my pros and cons

RR
++Accurate Placement
+Lots of games for players
+No Elimination
+/- 'Lame Duck' Period
-Unexciting for viewers
-Tie Breakers
--Long

Double Elim
++Hype. There are stories and a climax.
+Tournament Gold Standard
+/-Medium Speed
+/-Player Elimination (Saves some people time, but creates disappointment)
-Inaccurate ranking for those 5th-Xth place.
-Don't face many different players
-Lucky' brackets: Minimized with seeding

Single Elim
++Fast
+Hype
-Few games: Little experience for scrubs
-Elimination without a second chance
--Highest potential for 'Lucky' brackets
--Highly inaccurate

Swiss
+Accurate
+No 'Eliminations" but players are out of the running in a similar fashion to Dbl Elim.
+/-Takes awhile and Complicated to explain
-Point system can be abused
-Tie Breakers

Dbl Elimination/RR Hybrid
+Hype (less than Dbl Elim because of opportunity cost for those watching last pools.)
+Accuracy
+More Matches B4 Elimination
+/- More Possible Placements
+/- Small Lame duck period per RR
-No Loser's Semis
-Longer. 8man +1 Round : 16man +2 Rounds : 32man +3 : 64man +4 : etc. (relative to Dbl Elim)

Rat

Smash Lord
you mean the Dbl Elim/RR hybrid?
or
Pools (RR with stages of elimination)?

I added just the Hybrd.

Vro

Smash Lord
The obvious decision is to run two single elimination brackets within one tournament and increase the emphasis of money matches or grudge matches.

Then you record each person's record on a sliding scale from 1 - 100, starting at 50. Use standard deviation and some fancy logistics to gauge everyone's power level.

Finally, you create a league of top players that crew battles other crews, travelling around and taking their money.

Little England

Smash Master
Purdue, W Lafayette IN Rancho Cucamonga, SoCal
When was the last update for this...I believe the beginning of January? That's about four months. That's probably the most amount of time we should have between updates.

Sveet, although I believe five panelists are ideal, if only me you and Rat wanna do that job then let's do it. Three panelists should work quickly and ties will be easy to break when it comes to making decisions. :)

Rat

Smash Lord
I'm ok with that.

I'm concerned that I'm too stubborn. If we only do three, please tell me if I'm being unreasonably biased.

Tink

Smash Hero
isnt jason leaving soon? isnt that gonna mess things up for panelist and hisss actual placing on the list?

Rat

Smash Lord
I'm not sure what you're saying, tink.

Are you trying to say if someone is about to leave they shouldn't be on the list?
-Uh you can only make a ranking based on what a person has done. Regardless of how active/inactive they might be in the future. (Like bigdizzle going to chile.)

are you saying if someone isn't around they won't be able to judge someone's skill?
-This isn't true either. You judge from tournament results (more importantly who beat who.) Opinion doesn't really matter. Though, it can be used to get a general sense of someone's skill.

Tink

Smash Hero
a, i dont think big D should be on the list anymore...anyone leaving for an abundant of time from the region, shouldnt be in the PR....they are no longer MW at the time....or else i dont see why m2k isnt at the top of our list for being hereee for 6 months and beating us -_-.

b, really? i would think the pr should be more then just pure results placment. or else i wouldnt have been second all that time -_-.i would think mms+seriously would account for someeething :/. i mean, if we just going from purely results based only, then why do we even need panelists and we can just point this up and be done with it?

edit: b wasnt even what i was really talking about, but responded to that....i dont think u should be a panelist anymore if you going to be outta the region for a long time :/ just my opinion on it....its not like were low on applicants for pannelist :/....this might not even apply to england, who might be back the next semester. idk

Little England

Smash Master
Purdue, W Lafayette IN Rancho Cucamonga, SoCal
I think I should be on the next PR since I was very active for this ranking period. I'll be leaving in May and I'll be back in August. If there is another update during that ranking period I should not be on it. It doesn't matter either way though. I'll be whoopin you young bucks after Summer SoCal training! ;)

Outside of singles bracket, I think the only other thing that should count for rankings are MM's only for deciding REALLY close placements. lol

Tink

Smash Hero
ya, my bad, i didnt mean this onee...i just ment future ones, cause i assume panelists picked are gonna stayyy panelists...and i thought you were movin back to cali....not just for a couple months.

Kels88

Smash Lord
Whoever is 2nd on the PR should do a lot of $mms with me.
And for the record, Tink, everyone did consider M2k the best in the Midwest while he was here.

Top Bottom