• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Chicago-Land Power Rankings (Updated 12/30/2011)

ORLY

Smash Master
The Boss needs to be doing better than 15th!

I'm going for top 5, next edition.

:phone:

Dekuschrub

Smash Master
whatevvvv i beat cosmo and matt at hdr ! I GOT THE WINS BABY

I GOT THE WINS

hahah actually 5 lookin good for me. time to start slumping hard! :)

Quaz

Smash Master
I like that list

Im so happy you considered me an honorable mention ^^ too bad I wont be playing much anymore probably soo it'll probably either stay that way or I;ll just disapppear forever.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
#19-20
Not sure about Bzoo. He's done some good stuff. I like him here because he's above sveet and that makes sveet mad.
:mad::mad::mad:

edit- i **** 2/3 of the bottom 10, so i don't give a fuuuuck

zDuck

Smash Journeyman
Few notes/explanations

edit: I hope more players from MI, MN, and OH come to IL tournaments. From MI: Shady, Taki, shaeden, tr3mor, and bigy (maybe kail) do some **** stuff. MN should come to more tournaments so we can rank Aaro and Chexr. I take back what I said about OH, no way in hell do I see them coming over here and doing anything. IN step up your game.
taki is from pittsburgh

darkatma

Smash Hero
duck also beat anthony kitsune, that should put him above rat.

trail sucks, shouldn't be on there :p

LE should be higher, or will rise up in ranks soon

Velynn's placement at SMYM shouldn't be considered: he thought he had a fox but was sorely mistaken

Also if I were on this list i would be at rank 5.5

Tomacawk

Smash Master
purdue will ALWAYS john for ckit. it's a rule.
I think it's because they're probably telling the truth rather than johning
but still
no johns jorje

iamthemicrowave

Smash Master
too late n1kkaz...i already johned for him. but i know his true power while you scrubs can only guess

also remember that he knocked out kels(playing fox) with falco at a huge MW tournament, the same kels who was on a massive winning streak and hadnt lost to someone from the MW for a longggg time, who just got 13th at p5...real talk. i was def expecting kels darkrain epic grandfinals but cunning was like naw son

also he came the closest to beating cosmo out of anyone(except darkrain and matt r) at SMYM...almost wins dont count but its still impressive.

ps cunning play fox next time

Scythe

Smash Master
too late n1kkaz...i already johned for him. but i know his true power while you scrubs can only guess

also remember that he knocked out kels(playing fox) with falco at a huge MW tournament, the same kels who was on a massive winning streak and hadnt lost to someone from the MW for a longggg time, who just got 13th at p5...real talk. i was def expecting kels darkrain epic grandfinals but cunning was like naw son

also he came the closest to beating cosmo out of anyone(except darkrain and matt r) at SMYM...almost wins dont count but its still impressive.

deku was just as close and he didn't camp like a mofo

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
Velynn's placement at SMYM shouldn't be considered: he thought he had a fox but was sorely mistaken
I made the same argument at one point.

[4/16/2011 11:51:15 PM] Little England: thats a john
[4/16/2011 11:51:18 PM] Nicholas Kooy: yeah
[4/16/2011 11:51:21 PM] Little England: if you aren't playing to win
[4/16/2011 11:51:25 PM] Little England: then play friendlies
[4/16/2011 11:51:26 PM] Little England: lol

true but cunning was playing marth like a fob
U mean samus' worst matchup amongst top tiers?

kels... hadnt lost to someone from the MW for a longggg time
Like a few months since dart beat him and tom beat him. Also kels drops sets to rando-puffs from canada.

iamthemicrowave

Smash Master
deku was just as close and he didn't camp like a mofo
cunning was ahead in percent on last stock and only had to run out the timer. unfortunately he jumped into a toe when he shouldnt have been approaching. deku was never ahead in percent on last stock but died from a hilarious toe/up air collision. both very close but i would give the nod to cunning, but it doesnt really matter cuz they both lost.

also theres nothing wrong with camping, no johns.

i did beat cosmo at SMYM...he just happened to win when it mattered more lllol
looool pretty much.

U mean samus' worst matchup amongst top tiers?
this argument belongs in a different pointless thread.

Like a few months since dart beat him and tom beat him. Also kels drops sets to rando-puffs from canada.
true. i think kels still won the SG where dart beat him, i know tom won the SG where he beat kels in GF. and kels lost to idea in winners so its not as important(still outplaced idea with 2nd after getting scraped by unknown).

i think you need to give more value on tournament size tho. To me, matches from smym size tournaments are worth far far far more than locals/smaller regionals. i mean cmon, its smym. thats where midwest legends are made and destroyed. *cough* dart beating trail *cough* ;)

Rat

Smash Lord
did you say marth was samus's worst top tier match-up?

Let me tell you about this character named shiek.

You might not know about her as she's not on the character roster. Yep she's sort of a secret character. Here's how you do it. Select Zelda then hold the A button while the game starts. If you failed at that try pressing Down + B.

Now you might be saying. "I didn't know you can press two buttons at the same time!"
Well i'm here to inform you that you can and should be pressing multiple buttons at once.

Now once your playing shiek against samus walk up to her and hold the L or R button. Here's where to two button part comes in. Once she does anything either press A (Still holding L or R mind you.) If you are feeling fancy press X+Diagonally down towards samus+L/R. After that fancy manuever is completed press the Z button.

You will we be grabbing samus.

Next press A a couple times. You should see Shiek slapping the **** out of samus.
Good. Now press down. This will put samus floating nice and in front of you. Here's the trick with this next part. After you press down, she's ****ing helpless.

Ok now press X or Y to jump. Then press forward + A. With this complicated motion you get to slap samus again.

Now here's the trick. Land before she does (learn to be fast) and press L again. This will put up your shield. If samus does anything, grab her. If she airdodges, grab her. If she jumps, grab her anyways.

Press down again. See a pattern yet? No? Ok well then jump and press forward + A again.

Once you repeat this enough times, Samus should be off the stage. Now I want you to either throw needles at her. Or get on the ledge and do a back air. Don't **** this part up. A lot of people who think "woah i'm playing this awesome secret character" really screw this part up. Here's the secret. You need to actually hit samus with your needles and bair. It's just that easy.

Now don't worry if samus is shooting missiles and trying all sorts of crazy ****. She does that. But here's the truth. That **** sucks. Just keep moving forward and pressing shield. Then keep grabbing and slapping samus. You can do this. It's not hard.

Here's a list of people who have successfully switch to shiek and beaten samus.
Kels, Tink, Matt, Deku, Andale.

You can do this with shieks help. Shiek believes in you.

Juggleguy

Smash Grimer
Premium
Velynn's performance at SMYM shouldn't hurt his ranking. He played 0 matches as Puff, you already know that. If Velynn were to go Mewtwo and lose to average joe 1 and average joe 2 at a local, that shouldn't change your perception of him as a Smasher playing to his full potential. Just because SMYM was on a bigger stage doesn't mean an ill-advised character decision should be magnified.

He's still one of two Midwest players to ever beat Teczero. Also 2-0 lifetime vs Dart, 8-0 vs Duck, 5-0 vs Moose, 3-0 vs BigD, 3-0 vs Vro.

Dart!

Smash Master
Velynn's performance at SMYM shouldn't hurt his ranking. He played 0 matches as Puff, you already know that. If Velynn were to go Mewtwo and lose to average joe 1 and average joe 2 at a local, that shouldn't change your perception of him as a Smasher playing to his full potential. Just because SMYM was on a bigger stage doesn't mean an ill-advised character decision should be magnified.

He's still one of two Midwest players to ever beat Teczero. Also 2-0 lifetime vs Dart, 8-0 vs Duck, 5-0 vs Moose, 3-0 vs BigD, 3-0 vs Vro.
lifetime = played once? i shouldn't be considered in that list.

Rat

Smash Lord
@Juggleguy
Damn. You bring up a lot of good points. I want to address them but I'm not quite sure what to respond to.

So here's a bunch of things I think you're bringing up.
1) The value of a result
2) For Velynn, the specific results looked at
3) Player accommodation
4) The objective of the PR
5) What is skill
6) Accuracy of placement
7) Why play in a tournament

Do you want me to discuss any of those? Or am I misunderstanding what you're saying?

Tink

Smash Hero
rob said:
....He's still one of two Midwest players to ever beat Teczero. Also 2-0 lifetime vs Dart, 8-0 vs Duck, 5-0 vs Moose, 3-0 vs BigD, 3-0 vs Vro.
10. Duck - Ann Arbor, MI

13. Moose - Ann Arbor, MI

17. Vro - Chicago

the tec0 set was legit, but the others are alll below him :/(not counting dart johns)....if he had beaten anyone in the 1-5 range i could see him going up. but bringing up cases of ppl lower then him doesnt seem like much an arguement 0_o.

(not saying these other players arnt good...but power ranking status, they arnt the top :/)

edit: id like to see a tier list power ranking type of list made....but with no 1/2s or a./b. after each tier...so it would just be:

Class S(our best player...kels)

Top Tier(in no particular order)
cosmo/matt/tink/deku

and so on down.....make it alot easier....and less ppl would compain....but i guess it wouldnt be veryyy accurate like ppl want :/.

sanchaz

Smash Lord
10. Duck - Ann Arbor, MI

13. Moose - Ann Arbor, MI

17. Vro - Chicago

the tec0 set was legit, but the others are alll below him :/(not counting dart johns)....if he had beaten anyone in the 1-5 range i could see him going up. but bringing up cases of ppl lower then him doesnt seem like much an arguement 0_o.

(not saying these other players arnt good...but power ranking status, they arnt the top :/)
lololololololololol at your signature, at a quiet part of a libary.

Kels88

Smash Lord

LMAO Are you really going to count that? Not to take anything away from Ckit but i was playing very bad that tournament. If you are using this then you might as well put Smashguy up there too because he knocked me into losers and i played all Fox.

Dekuschrub

Smash Master
yeah i was gonna say that too kelly

but purdue just feels this need to hype up ckit cuz he ***** them all so bad

what they dont realize is ****** them all is not hard

HoChiMinhTrail

Smash Master
yeah i was gonna say that too kelly

but purdue just feels this need to hype up ckit cuz he ***** them all so bad

what they dont realize is ****** them all is not hard
ckit is a monster lol...

he just pwned dart with his falco at my house not too long ago...

his fox is ****ing gay as **** it makes me hate this game....

that beind said.. he hasnt palyed in **** so its hard to rank him... although neither have i

sanchaz

Smash Lord
hahahaha. john is on your threat list. chicago has own ways of trolling.

Top Bottom