• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Children and "violent" games

mountain_tiger

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4441-8987-6303
Link to original post: [drupal=3257]Children and "violent" games[/drupal]

A couple of weeks ago, I was down at my aunt and uncle's house, and it was basically a family get-together. As they were all talking in the other room, I was given the job of entertaining my cousin and cousin once removed (aged nine and seven respectively), which turned out to be very easy, because they were simply playing Stair Dismount on their iPod Touches. If you haven't played it before, basically the goal is to push the stickman down the stairs and cause as much pain as possible. No gore or anything; it's just a grey doll.

Anyway, they weren't too happy with this, claiming that it encouraged him that causing people suffering was good, and removed it from his iTouch. The thing is, I really don't think it was causing him any psychological harm. Provided you're able to tell the difference between reality and fantasy, there's nothing wrong with playing such games. People tend to think of children as being more gullible than they actually are. He's pretty smart for his age, and I'm pretty sure he knows it's wrong to push people down stairs. I've been playing fighting games since I was eight, and I never went round beating people up...

What I found perplexing was that despite them objecting to him playing Stair Dismount, they had no problem with letting him play Tekken, which contains much more violence and intent to hurt people than Stair Dismount does... Maybe the fact it had silly characters like kangaroos and pandas had something to with it, but then they'd think that would be child cruelty...

Obviously there should be a limit to these things, and at the end of the day it's the parents' decision. But if a game contains comic violence and doesn't have gore or swearing or the like, I don't see what the problem is. It's no worse than the stuff you see in, for example, Tom and Jerry. Take a look at this cartoon:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-nnoNgwY3k

Skip to 3:20. There'd be a huge outcry if a cartoon like that was made for kids nowadays (and in fact the offending scene is often cut nowadays) but at the time people had no qualms with it...

Do you think that children are influenced as much by games involving pain as some parents seem to think? It just seems like over-protectiveness IMO.

Insetick

Smash Apprentice
On one hand, evidence seems to show that kids with games are no more violent than those without. Then again, you've probably heard about teens who emulate a hit and run like GTA.

If parents are teaching their kids well, I think kids should grow up fine despite violent games.

Chronodiver Lokii

Chaotic Stupid
BRoomer
I actually did a project about this for my theology class last year. (Sadly, i played devils advocate and had to talk about the side that says video games are awful...it was painful.)
http://www.mavav.org/
That was one of my main sources....yeah...a little extreme.

Basically, everything depends on the mental health of the child, their grasp on reality, and their upbringing (among other factors). Don't blame the game or the companies, they aren't the ones controlling your kids. They just are trying to make money and make/sell the games for people to enjoy. If your kid is gonna be violent/imitate video games, don't let them buy them.
I agree, if scenes like that were played nowadays, it'd be banned in a heartbeat. Back then, violence in satirical or fictional ways was a-okay. That same generation is against video games, though, which is kind of funny.

Mr.Freeman

Smash Ace
Pretty much everyone whos posted has got the point, it really all depends on how the kid was raised. I've only heard of one guy who's an anti-videogame activist: Jack Thompson.

The guy was a lawyer, but they disbarred him in '08 (he got fired from being a lawyer permanently). He's constantly used videogames as a scapegoat for the crimes of the people he's defended.

finalark

SNORLAX
As far as I'm concerend, the ESRB is there for a reason. If you don't like what your nine-year-old is playing, then its YOUR FAULT for buying him said game. If you think that the reason why little Jimmy is getting into fights on the playground is because of that "Ultra-violent Murder-Master 3000" thing that all those kids are into these days, then its YOUR FAULT for purchasing it and letting your kid play it. For the love of God, there's nothing wrong with the games, it's something wrong with the parent (or the person in question just can't tell fantasy from reality).

Anyway, I've never played the game mention so I can't say anything about it. But one things bugs me...

WHY DO A NINE AND SEVEN YEAR OLD OWN 2-400 DOLLAR IPODS!? Seriously, when I was seven years old I owned a GBC that had the hell scratched out it's screen by the time I was eight! Kids don't take care of stuff like that!
If you found this jaringly off-topic, please ignore it

Skrlx

Smash Champion
The only game I'd keep away from my kids is GTA

Mota

"The snake, knowing itself, strikes swiftly"
I played Mortal Kombat as a kid and even fluked a couple fatalities. I turned out fine, I think.

I agree, adults don't give children enough credit, they're very open minded.

Oracle

Smash Master
It depends on the parenting and the children. It's never completely the game's fault. I disagree with letting children play stairfall because it does instill the view that violence towards other humans is amusing and it doesn't accomplish anything within the game (neither do any of these mindless iphone games, but that's beside the point)

Tekken isn't as bad, however, because it puts the player in a competition with the goal to win. Here, the enjoyment is caused not by the violence itself, but by the fact that you defeated your opponent or pulled off some combo or something like that. Games like stairfall are only acts of violence meant to be laughed at.

cutter

Smash Champion
I played Quake when I was just 7 years old :p

I pretty much agree with finalark said. Parents will blame the video game for causing trouble to their kid, but in reality the parents themselves should take responsibility instead for allowing their kid to play said video game.

mountain_tiger

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4441-8987-6303
WHY DO A NINE AND SEVEN YEAR OLD OWN 2-400 DOLLAR IPODS!? Seriously, when I was seven years old I owned a GBC that had the hell scratched out it's screen by the time I was eight! Kids don't take care of stuff like that!
Then you won't like the Firefly, a mobile phone marketed specifically at children aged four and up...

Basically, the seven-year-old already had it on his iPod Touch, so my cousin downloaded the Lite version (which is free). They expressed doubts for this and removed this. However, the seven-year-old's mother didn't do the same for his iTouch. Granted, my aunt and uncle are in their early 50s, whereas she's in her late 20s, which probably has something to do with it...

Tekken isn't as bad, however, because it puts the player in a competition with the goal to win. Here, the enjoyment is caused not by the violence itself, but by the fact that you defeated your opponent or pulled off some combo or something like that. Games like stairfall are only acts of violence meant to be laughed at.
See, I'd have thought it would be fighting games that would be more of a concern. The main reason people play them is because you can beat people up with no risk of getting hurt IRL (unless the person next to you gets really frustrated I guess...) And since Tekken contains stuff like chainsaws and swords and other ****, it's definitely more 'realistically violent' than pushing a grey ragdoll down some stairs. Plus Tekken uses sex appeal as well...

Obviously there are limits (I wouldn't let him play CoD or Left 4 Dead), but I can't help but think that some of the games people complain about really aren't all that influencing, and that time would be better spent... doing something else.

GarraLeeLink7

Smash Apprentice
Psh... Parents Are So Stupid These Days... <.< Lighten Up Would'ja? Seriously, And Stop Being Such Hypocrites Like My Friends Dad:

Wen We Were Like, 8 We Were Playing Mortal Combat (D< SNES BETCH! FUZZ YA! XD) At My House Wen He Walked In... He Threw A Pissie-Fit, And Lectured My Parrents, And Somewhere Along In This "Heated Discussion" Alex (My Freind) Asked Why He Was So Mad, And Then He Halled Of And Smacked Him Upside The Head, Made'M Cry, Then Told Him He Was A "Stupid Cry-Baby"...

See What I Mean? What A Frikin Hypocrite... And If That Doesn't Do At-Least 10x The Mental (And Physical) Damage As The Game Did... I Don't Know What Would...

AnyWays Point Is I Played "Violent Games" All Threw My Childhood... And I Don't Go Shooting & Killing People, (But Punching Is A Different Story XD [32-2-1 Boxing Record] haha) And If Anything They Taught Me Not To **** With People... (Especially The Ones Who Look Like Rapist's/andor/Characters In Video-Games)

El Nino

BRoomer
BRoomer
Well, I did always want to be Sub-Zero from MK when I was a kid. I just couldn't get the freeze thing to work on anyone.

And then I discovered liquid nitrogen.

Anyway...

I think the psychological evidence that's out there suggests that kids who are violent are that way because they have been exposed to real life violence, not pretend game violence. No matter how "real"-looking it is, unless you actually feel it, I don't think it counts as violence. If a kid tries to imitate violent behavior from a game, I would bet that this kid has more serious problems at home.

Furthermore, just thinking about the number of people who buy and play violent games, I think there'd be a much more major epidemic of violence if there were actually a direct correlation between the two. Considering how many copies of GTA got sold, if they did directly contribute to violent behavior, we would probably all be on drugs and on fire. All of us. Like, right now.

I think most people who are opposed to violent games are opposed to them because they find them to be in "bad taste." Which is fine. A lot of those games are probably in bad taste. But that don't make 'em the downfall of civilization.

Top Bottom