• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

chivalry among warriors

GIJOE

Smash Rookie
Hey guys i just saw the comp. video of the tauts and being a old fashion, chivalry minded warrior myself. i thought it be cool to standarize a en`garde in a sense before matches. you know how the the screen flashes go and you can see a thing and that can suck , well id say in a one on one match for glory that the players pick there en`garde taunt to do at the begining of the match. any thoughts?

Indignant

Smash Journeyman
Allow me to explain. In the sport of fencing, before the match begins, you salute your opponent, the judge, and the audience (if there is one, and I cannot remember the proper order at the moment). You bring the sword up vertical in front of your face, tip it toward your opponent, the judge, and the audience in turn, and bring it down with a swish before getting in the proper position.

What GIJOE here is proposing is that we institute something similar in Competitive smash with character taunts. Each character would have a specific en 'garde taunt chosen by the community which would symbolize this salute to your opponent.

Interesting to say the least and a strange formality for Smash, but it could be fun. I cannot judge the idea, as I don't attend tournaments. However, the tourney-goers here can weigh in on it.

Indignant

Smash Journeyman
The idea is that you don't attack your opponent until you are both ready...in effect, nullifying your strategy Hitzel. Both taunts would be done before a character MOVED.

NessPaulaJeffPoo

Smash Cadet
Allow me to explain. In the sport of fencing, before the match begins, you salute your opponent, the judge, and the audience (if there is one, and I cannot remember the proper order at the moment). You bring the sword up vertical in front of your face, tip it toward your opponent, the judge, and the audience in turn, and bring it down with a swish before getting in the proper position.

What GIJOE here is proposing is that we institute something similar in Competitive smash with character taunts. Each character would have a specific en 'garde taunt chosen by the community which would symbolize this salute to your opponent.

Interesting to say the least and a strange formality for Smash, but it could be fun. I cannot judge the idea, as I don't attend tournaments. However, the tourney-goers here can weigh in on it.
thank you for clearing that up.

and actually i have seen some videos already where people are doing this.

TempestFunk

Smash Cadet
I don't think the huge "GO" covering the screen will be that much of a problem.

While it would be cool to have a kind of 'en' gaurd' before matches I'm not sure that taunting will do that trick, they are 'taunts' after all so while some would work (ie, mario tipping his hat, link brandishing his sword) others would just be more insulting or intimidating (ie. bowser roaring, dancing, or chomping: none of these are really 'good sportsmanshippy)

taunting at the beginning of a match would be less respectful and more arrogant, kind of like saying "I don't even need to try to win"

S2

Smash Lord
I think the same effect can be reached with a handshake and general politeness when you in a tournament.

Really, most people at tournaments are nice anyways. People who are being jerks are the minority.

But yeah, it's an interesting idea. Kinda cool actually, but I don't think people will adopt it.

GIJOE

Smash Rookie
thx indigent for clarifying my point... i got the impression for what i say in the video of taunts that all the characters have a engarde taunt, character specific taunt, and a humiliation taunt, more specifically look at fox, cpt, F, and marth's taunts.

GreenKirby

Smash Master
NNID
NoName9999
Except chivarly is dead, and there will be ****heads who will take advantage of the other person's nobility.

Top Bottom