• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Choosing Your Starter: IKE take TWO

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
I'd start Squirtle just to stay far away from Charizard in this one. I don't remember the exact percentage Pikachu and chaingrab Charizard to, but it was pretty significant if I'm remembering correctly. Even without a chaingrab, I feel Squirtle does the best of the three. Charizard gets juggled rather easily but is still capable of knocking Pikachu out...just not as easily as Squirtle can. I feel Ivysaur does decent here.

On the whole, chaingrabs are lame.

Asa

Smash Hero
I'd say start squirtle first. My charizard always gets wrecked by pikachus, can't he do 0-80% in chaingrabs on him?

CoonTail

Smash Lord
From other posts I believe its 0 to 86% but as steeler said if the pikachu even hits you with one thunderbolt or a non DI'd d-smash the chain grab is halved.

Overall squirtle is the best option for straight forward fighting Pika......I would like to see what Ivy can do here because if we could run Ivy till late percents then get zard in for the kill we could get the most out of Ivy because I feel Ivy's spacing will cause pikachu issues then once Ivy has hit the wall of fatigue zard can finish up the job at high percentages and escape the CG. Just an idea but straight forward Squirtle obv does it best.

Vermy

Smash Champion
SSS all the way.
Squirtle out for all of stock 1.
Ivy + Zard stock 2.
Fresh Squirtle stock 3.

CGs are gay, thunder's gay, pikas recovery is ridiculous.
I hate that little yellow rat.

Bestiarius

Smash Ace
@Bomber: It's a quote from the movie Anchorman. Look it up. High-larious.
@Coontail: You mean putting myself down? I just know how n00bish I am and just wish I could have some real (lagless, i.e., hopefully non-wifi) tourney experience. But thanks for the tips. I'll try some, but I don't have 6 hours a day to devote to Brawl.
About Pikachu: I mained Pikachu way back in my Melee days and I like him in Brawl so I'll give my input. Squirtle seems best for the aforementioned reasons, so I'd say start with him. I'd sack Ivy at high %'s because Ivy is stupidly bad here. With Zard, I'll give the classic advice: don't get hit. Zard I think can probably hold his own, but no better. Whatever you do, DO NOT GET ABOVE PIKACHU!!!!!!!!!!!!!! OK, I'm done.

typh

BRoomer
BRoomer
so is lightning super effective against squirtle or what

i'm too lazy to test

Bestiarius

Smash Ace
Well, according to old data, no. At least, not according to the super-effectiveness thing in that was in the AT thread before that thread was assimilated into reflex's guide.

Vermy

Smash Champion
lightning doesn't count as super effectiveness. But a close range Thunder at pikachus body (not that you should be getting hit with one) has stupidly massive knockback.

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
Yeah, Sakurai didn't go all out on super-effectiveness. If he did, Charizard would hardly go flying at all from a Rock Smash.

Retro Gaming

Black and White Thinking
Actually, effectiveness only applies to PT, and the resistances are more or less useless because Squirtle doesn't want to resist weak fire attacks and the strong ones can still kill him well. The other two's resistances are only on PT's teams.

On the other hand, weakness to Fire for Ivysaur is bad almost all around (good for like Flamethrower only).

Long story short: Sakurai hated PT.

Bomber7

Smash Hero
CHaracter Discussion: PIT

OK so against pit we got an aerial fight here so we have the suggestion of starting with Squirtle and Charizard. Thoughts?

*I know, we spam rock smash, they will spam shield and we will lose.

Any other thoughts than that listed above.

*On a side note: Do y'all want to skip the discussion for Pokemon Trainer or attempt to have one for each and individual pokemon.

Bestiarius

Smash Ace
*I think we should thouroughly discuss PT. I mean, I would say ask the PT boards, but that's us, so we should comment on us the way we would get other boards to help us with their characters.

I think starting Squirtle is best because I like Squirtle in the air a lot more than I like Pit, just from handling both character, plus, Squirtle can combo better and is faster in many ways.

Charizard is also really good here. Refrain from Rock Smashing unless you're doing it to an off the edge Pit. Try to grab him and use Zard's grab game to get him off the edge. Then Flamethrower *****.

T-block

B2B TST
imo skip PT...this is a thread about choosing a starter, which doesn't really make sense in PT dittos. it would be fun to discuss the matchup though, but we should make a separate thread for it

Tien2500

Smash Lord
PT vs PT would be more effort that it would be worth.

Squirtle is good. Your options are pretty much a few frames faster on the ground or in the air and arrows won't bother you.

Ivysaur does ok here. IIRC they have it at about 45:55. Pit's range isn't that great which allows Ivy to function pretty well. Ivy isn't bad but Squirtle is better so why not.

Charizard as always gets juggled and comboed at low percentages which isn't very much fun. On the bright side the difference in KO ability is really dramatic so if you start with Zard you may be able to get well into Pit's second stock before he can get the KO.

I'd say start with Squirtle. You should be able to either KO first or set up a switch so Ivy can get the KO. Stock tank with Zard.

Magik0722

Smash Champion
Ivy does ok against zard
But zard is probably the best starter

You should make the choices based on who they start with

Ivy or squirtle: Charizard

Charizard or Squirle: Ivy

so if they start with squirtle start with who you are best with

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
i just try to do dittos the whole time. charizard ditto is full of dumb **** and squirtle ditto is two pixels dancing around each other.

Bomber7

Smash Hero
.... I go to sleep for a few hours and I come back to this? -_-

O well off to school. so far majority don't want PT discussion. When I get back today if theres more posts against it, then I will remove it when I get home.

Carry on. (MORE PIT DISCUSSION)

Bestiarius

Smash Ace
Tien, what do you mean when you say Pit's range isn't that great? Pit's arrows have unlimited range. Yeah, his other attacks are very limited, but he definitely outranges Ivy with arrows. Plus, most of his attacks seem to be faster. I would say it's 60-40 his favor, but even if I'm wrong, the other 2 definitely have better options.

On the PT ditto, I would always start Charizard simply because he is the only one that does not have a disadvantage to either of the other 2. I think Ivy is disadvantaged to Zard, but that point has been contested. If I was a betting man, my money would go with Zard in a fight over Ivy.

T-block

B2B TST
i actually always start ivysaur against PT, but i've been liking ivysaur vs squirtle less and less lately

aerial-wise squirtle beats out pit pretty easily, and squirtle's aerials are definitely faster than pit's.

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
pit has slow ground options btw. jab is like 6 frames, as is dtilt. utilt is 3 or so but has weak range. and pit's grabs suck.

Tien2500

Smash Lord
Tien, what do you mean when you say Pit's range isn't that great? Pit's arrows have unlimited range. Yeah, his other attacks are very limited, but he definitely outranges Ivy with arrows. Plus, most of his attacks seem to be faster. I would say it's 60-40 his favor, but even if I'm wrong, the other 2 definitely have better options.

On the PT ditto, I would always start Charizard simply because he is the only one that does not have a disadvantage to either of the other 2. I think Ivy is disadvantaged to Zard, but that point has been contested. If I was a betting man, my money would go with Zard in a fight over Ivy.
Lol. Obviously when I say Pit has limited range I'm not talking about arrows. Of course arrows outrange Ivy but they're not something that are going to shut Ivy down completely. I'd say 45:55 but 40:60 is also possible. Squirtle is definitely better and Charizard probably is too.

Bomber7

Smash Hero
I have a question, why wouldn't Ivysuar do well against Pit to start. I know our primary spacing tool (razorleaf) can be reflected, but Ivy is the anti aerial pokemon; why not start out with her first?

Or am I contradicting myself by saying it's probably best to let Squirtle build up your momentum and then blast pit away with Ivysaur and that is her primary purpose in this?

Popertop

Smash Champion
pit has slow ground options btw. jab is like 6 frames, as is dtilt. utilt is 3 or so but has weak range. and pit's grabs suck.
good pits will know his ground game and know how to use those options

his Fsmash is fast

and his grabs don't suck he can chaingrab charizard I'm pretty sure

Bestiarius

Smash Ace
Bomber, Ivysaur vs. Pit just strikes me as too slow. Sure, Ivy is the anti-air master, and Pit is angelic in the air (pun soooooo intended), but Pit is much faster than Ivy on the ground. Arrows can annoy Ivy to death, plus they also have decent knockback. Pit can also combo (not truly, but pretty dang well) using throws, jabs and Angel Ring. I just always have trouble finding good approaching options with Ivy against Pit, even more so than usual with Ivy. It just feels too slow to me. I have trouble against cpu Pits with Ivy, so I really wouldn't feel comfortable against a human Pit with him. Now, I love the other two in this matchup. It could actually be a case of the other two just doing so much better that I don't really consider Ivy.

Vermy

Smash Champion
2 fthrows>another throw from 0% is hardly anything to stress about. Its very avoidable. Once you hit 15-20% it's not going to do anything.

I have a lot of experience vs Pit. I have friendlies with him on a regular basis and Squirtle/Ivy is always the best choice, depending on the stage. As I've mentioned before, you can punish an attempt at a glide attack with ivys usmash. RL is slower than arrows but they cancel each other out.

Squirtle is the safer starter. Get around the spam, SDI the fsmash into him and at times the second hit won't connect. Forward hp charge kills work well, since if the pit isn't curving them down, you can slide right under them and BAM!

SSS ftw.

Bomber7

Smash Hero
Bomber, Ivysaur vs. Pit just strikes me as too slow. Sure, Ivy is the anti-air master, and Pit is angelic in the air (pun soooooo intended), but Pit is much faster than Ivy on the ground. Arrows can annoy Ivy to death, plus they also have decent knockback. Pit can also combo (not truly, but pretty dang well) using throws, jabs and Angel Ring. I just always have trouble finding good approaching options with Ivy against Pit, even more so than usual with Ivy. It just feels too slow to me. I have trouble against cpu Pits with Ivy, so I really wouldn't feel comfortable against a human Pit with him. Now, I love the other two in this matchup. It could actually be a case of the other two just doing so much better that I don't really consider Ivy.
would it be best to have a Squirtle-Ivy battery?

Bomber7

Smash Hero
I'm meh-ish ok with Charizard start but you know darn well depending on the stage, Pit will open up by spamming his arrows and unless you are good with maneuvering Charizard, you are going nowhere and you will take damage and it ill become frustrating. However, I know once Pit gets in Charizard's range, he's pretty much screwed.

CoonTail

Smash Lord
just walk up and powershield the arrows, it's not hard
Powershields and air dodges I view pits arrows not much different than lasers from space animals jus manuver around them and be smart once you get close youll know hell look for the CG if you open the match that way.

Top Bottom