• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Chrome OS

Anthony523

Smash Apprentice
To be honest.... It looks absolutely terrible I expected a lot more innovation out of Google since they only make EVERYTHING... I currently have Ubuntu Netbook Remix running on my Netbook and I know it's much better than what Chrome will be
Don't get me wrong I love Google and what not I use Google Chrome as my Browser but Chrome OS is basically you boot into it then your on a webpage.... There's no applications that you can download they just expect everyone to use everything Google has to offer such as docs and Gmail... It doesn't work that way though..

GoldenHeartNeko

Smash Rookie
To be honest.... It looks absolutely terrible I expected a lot more innovation out of Google since they only make EVERYTHING... I currently have Ubuntu Netbook Remix running on my Netbook and I know it's much better than what Chrome will be
Don't get me wrong I love Google and what not I use Google Chrome as my Browser but Chrome OS is basically you boot into it then your on a webpage.... There's no applications that you can download they just expect everyone to use everything Google has to offer such as docs and Gmail... It doesn't work that way though..

It's a cloud OS. The whole purpose of the OS is directly aimed at people who do pretty much everything on the internet. It's made strictly for internet usage while using web apps to simulate common, every day features of a normal user just in case they need more than the internet.

It's an amazing concept for Netbooks and that's it because Netbooks are strictly designed for web browsing, anything more is simply moving outside the boundaries.

It's an over glorified web browser yes, but it boots in seconds flat and because its cloud-based, works pretty much on any computer that gives you access to said apps.

And its not even like you HAVE to use googles web apps.

Anthony523

Smash Apprentice
It's a cloud OS. The whole purpose of the OS is directly aimed at people who do pretty much everything on the internet. It's made strictly for internet usage while using web apps to simulate common, every day features of a normal user just in case they need more than the internet.

It's an amazing concept for Netbooks and that's it because Netbooks are strictly designed for web browsing, anything more is simply moving outside the boundaries.

It's an over glorified web browser yes, but it boots in seconds flat and because its cloud-based, works pretty much on any computer that gives you access to said apps.

And its not even like you HAVE to use googles web apps.
Woah woah woah woah.... Hold up here... My netbook can do A LOT more than just browse the internet... Everyone says "Oh it lacks in power" but actually it's pretty darn fast.. and the only reason you should want a full sized laptop or a desktop computer is if you want to play WoW or edit tons of photos and videos
I admit when the Chrome OS comes out I'll try to get a live CD if there is one available but I'm almost definitely not going to install it... I think I'd rather stick to my current XP/Linux set up which runs beautifully...
Oh yeah I forgot to mention Hyperthreading works like a charm.

Super_ness

Smash Journeyman
The thing is that Microsoft crapped up the netbook market. Netbooks should have been uber-cheap (sub-$200) internet browsers. Nothing else.

It's like some programming languages. Just because they can be abused to do something doesn't mean they should.

Super_ness

Smash Journeyman
Here's a Chromium Live USB that runs nicely. Neat thing is that this build is based on Ubuntu 9.10 so you can use apt-get to install programs. I'm gonna see
what happens if I install the package ubuntu-desktop...
http://chromeos.hexxeh.net/

EDIT: Forgot mention, it has a terminal, virtual terminals, and a local filesystem. If it got a decent file manager, this would be just plain awesome for netbooks!!

jckkeith

Smash Rookie
Google Chrome OS, this ones much related to Google. People claimed Chrome OS to be Microsofts Competitor, but the product is about a year away from its launch. Now how can you possibly state something as Microsoft’s Competitor when you even don’t know how it is like, especially when it’s 1 year away from public release? Funny isn’t it?

Top Bottom