• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

-=ChuDatz Presentz: A Merry Xmas Bi-weekly! - CANCELLED

Status
Not open for further replies.

B0NK

Smash Lord
the schedule says doubles @ 12.... but I guess I won't know for sure until I get there

B0NK

Smash Lord
I showed up at around 12, chu was still asleep and no one was there except who I assume now to be eggm and cactuar playing melee.

Wasn't going to play melee so I left almost as soon as a walked in.

KageMurphy

Smash Master
Everyone take the money you didn't use to enter this flop and register for Pound 5, go go go.

Sleek Media

Smash Lord
Glad I didn't waste my time coming out early. Anyone up for Brawl later tonight?

Pyronic_Star

Smash Champion
we had a car full coming... then we called chu (no one was there) called esoj (said him and candy weren't coming) and called wall street (they said they weren't going anymore)... so why should md have come again?

Kaffei

Smash Hero
I was really, really disappointed that no one showed up for this biweekly. I had a lot of fun at sypher's tourney but MDVA really needs to step it up.. plz.

TheTantalus

Smash Hero
From what I can tell, MD/VA isn't dead or dying

It's more or less no one wants to attend ChuDat biweeklies. Planned or last minute, they always flop. I think the last 5 or 6 in a row have, going back to summer. It has nothing to do with location. I'm pretty sure these are the reasons:

1. People don't like the way you run tournaments (seed yourself away from people you don't want to play, randomly change rules and payouts to your liking, never post results thread or bracket)
2. The houses is super crammed with even 20 people there
3. You always have these after big tournaments when everyone wants to take a break
4. You don't advertise on AiB.
5. ChuDat chronicles

All those factors put together pretty much explain the consistent low to no turnout of these events.

Anyways, I think if you want to do successful events, you're going to need a new venue, Chu. And you're probably going to want to be closer to MD. The VA scene seems pretty limited ATM, Wall street, Woodbridge, and Originals is it. MD seems to have tons of new players and up and comings.

B0NK

Smash Lord
It's more or less no one wants to attend ChuDat biweeklies. Planned or last minute,

2. The houses is super crammed with even 20 people there
3. You always have these after big tournaments when everyone wants to take a break
4. You don't advertise on AiB.
5. ChuDat chronicles
What I quoted above is what I believe you are wrong about.

People wanted to come to Chu's, Maryland said they had a full car, I went and went back because no one was there or seemed to be coming.

His house being "crammed" is no big deal because people can step outside, and people haven't had a problem with that or other house tournies in the past. The size is plenty adequate to run a tourney. (Precedent: Five Guys, cramped, people still enjoyed it, 63 single entrants)

There are plenty of locals that don't go out to those "Big" tournament and don't need a break. For one this tourney was in VA allowing those who could not make it out of the way to your tourney last week. (Precedent: Veterans, held on the same day as a big tourney in NJ (either prototype or ktar, can't recall) Right before a MLG event, 45 single entrants)

AiB.... lol MD/VA is primarily based on Smashboards. This is nothing new. While I'm not saying it hurts it's definitely not a deciding factor on whether an event is successful or not. (Precedent: Plenty of events in MD/VA are never on AiB)

Chudat Chronicles only added to the hype and brought in OoS attendence. OoS that didn't know that stuff about chu prior to him posting it found it hilarious. Many locals already knew about that stuff and never stopped them from coming out to his events.

I find it funny that you give advice like this Tant. I'm not saying you are a bad TO, your a GREAT TO at running a tournament. But you have a problem seeing what it is that make people come out to events, and I've never seen you hold any huge without the assistant of others to do the inside work such as finding a venue or giving you incentives.

Your last event brought in less people than both of me and Brandon's events. And I'm sure less than stuff VGBootCamp has done in the past. Not only that but me and Brandon's events had NO OoS attendance and still got more people. Your event also had the nice boost of Pound 5 entry incentive and a venue you didn't have to search or pay for. You got the connections, that I can see, but you can't necessarily set something up like that completely by yourself without these connections. So I find it funny you give advice like this.

What is keeping his biweeklies from being successful is his reputation on how the events run. Which would have happen to this event. Once again this event wouldn't have started on time, probably would have started really late, ending at the usual 1 or 2am that no one wants to do. I'm pretty sure Falls Church lost the motivation to go when they called Chu and found he was still asleep. Also this event did not have any prior notice. Neither did his other events really. 2 Months prior notice is what is pretty much necessary to hold a hyped event and bring out people. Gives them plenty of time to plan and sets the date.

And people don't even want to use Chu biweeklies as smashfest to get better at this point. That's MD/VA's fault not Chu's.

KageMurphy

Smash Master
Last weeks event had a good attendance in 3 of the 4 events(teams always are iffy) and was held over the spand of 2 days. You can't compare them till you host a 2 day event and side events as well dawg cause some people only entered one event, with there being twice the amount of things to enter then yours u can't accurately compare numbers. Not mention bringing in OOS is never a bad thing D:

B0NK

Smash Lord
Bring in more people without OoS. (Which me and Brandon accomplished... twice) Strong local scene = more incentive for OoS to come. More locals + OoS would bring entrants close to 100 easily.

Our events brought in the target audience (MD/VA locals) and sorry we can't have OoS incentive like Pound 5 entry without taking the money out of our pockets. He didn't even have to find a venue to hold said two day event. (Also Five Guys brought in 79 people if we are talking about both events)

Plain and simple he is fortunate and has the connections. I'm not saying he can't run events, I'm well aware he is very good at it. (There's a reason he is running the Brawl tourney at pound.)

I'm saying some of his points were wrong and his background in running tourneys like these without all these great connections is limited.

KageMurphy

Smash Master
I know what you're saying Steven, I was just saying. Getting the local scene there was amazing, specially since some parts we kinda just winged it haha

B0NK

Smash Lord
I know what you're saying Steven, I was just saying. Getting the local scene there was amazing, specially since some parts we kinda just winged it haha
looool tru, not to mention dealing with management the day before and day of >.<

I'd love to run an event with you again, but Brandon doesn't play this game anymore and I don't live here half the year =/ Maybe during the summer we'll get something going again.

Kaffei

Smash Hero
i dont want chu biweeklies to die noooooooooo
everything else is too far

SOVAman

Smash Hero
We all quit in VA anyways except the try hards

like bengalz, kenny and chu

so if people wanna go to tourney you gotta go to MD, not like it matters anyways lol

TheTantalus

Smash Hero
I've admitted my hosting abilities are weak and I'm looking to improve. I'm trying to build my own franchise, and that was a good way to start.

But I actually had a ton of new players showed up from aib who only entered one event. It's a start.

Anyways, I'm offering advice, since things aren't going so well. I'll just keep quiet now, since trying to help out is apparently bad.

Sleek Media

Smash Lord
I've admitted my hosting abilities are weak and I'm looking to improve. I'm trying to build my own franchise, and that was a good way to start.

But I actually had a ton of new players showed up from aib who only entered one event. It's a start.

Anyways, I'm offering advice, since things aren't going so well. I'll just keep quiet now, since trying to help out is apparently bad.
Actually, I agreed with your points. I'd also like to add that we need more SMASHFESTS and not just tourneys. Sorry, I'm totally over paying $10 to sit there and have to timeout some cheap spammy Samus player on Rainbow Cruise. I just want to play for fun.

SOVAman

Smash Hero
Actually, I agreed with your points. I'd also like to add that we need more SMASHFESTS and not just tourneys. Sorry, I'm totally over paying $10 to sit there and have to timeout some cheap spammy Samus player on Rainbow Cruise. I just want to play for fun.
There are smashfest all the time you just gotta know the right people -_^b

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom