• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

-=ChuDatz Presentz: A Merry Xmas Bi-weekly! - CANCELLED

Status
Not open for further replies.

BMX

Smash Lord
Actually, I agreed with your points. I'd also like to add that we need more SMASHFESTS and not just tourneys. Sorry, I'm totally over paying $10 to sit there and have to timeout some cheap spammy Samus player on Rainbow Cruise. I just want to play for fun.
timing... out... a samus?

you fuggin suck -_^b

Kaffei

Smash Hero
Actually, I agreed with your points. I'd also like to add that we need more SMASHFESTS and not just tourneys. Sorry, I'm totally over paying $10 to sit there and have to timeout some cheap spammy Samus player on Rainbow Cruise. I just want to play for fun.
lolz if you think that's cheap then you probably shouldn't be coming.

Coney

Smash Master
first off, this sounds awfully entitled. who are you to say what the community NEEDS? haven't you only been to one tournament? i get what you're saying, i hate the idea of people forking over money just to go 0-2 against good players, but you haven't really gone to anything. and from the way you talk, i imagine you'd just get pissy when someone got "spammy" and not wanna play anyway. if you just want people to play with, find a club or something. if you want to get BETTER, that's what smashfests are supposed to be about.

i honestly think what we NEEDED was something like tant's event. it was great, had an overnight smashfest, encouraged a lot of local talent, just a great event overall. i'd like to see more stuff like that. there are places around here that can do it.

omni's smashfests were great, but he's since lost passion for the game. there are usually some here and there pretty often, and they're usually advertised, it's just not a formal date or anything.

BMX

Smash Lord
first off, this sounds awfully entitled. who are you to say what the community NEEDS? haven't you only been to one tournament? i get what you're saying, i hate the idea of people forking over money just to go 0-2 against good players, but you haven't really gone to anything. and from the way you talk, i imagine you'd just get pissy when someone got "spammy" and not wanna play anyway. if you just want people to play with, find a club or something. if you want to get BETTER, that's what smashfests are supposed to be about.

i honestly think what we NEEDED was something like tant's event. it was great, had an overnight smashfest, encouraged a lot of local talent, just a great event overall. i'd like to see more stuff like that. there are places around here that can do it.

omni's smashfests were great, but he's since lost passion for the game. there are usually some here and there pretty often, and they're usually advertised, it's just not a formal date or anything.
don't worry about him, he times out samus.

In all seriousness, a lot of smashers have lost passion for the tourney scene. Not the game, of course because this game is too much fun. Clearly, this needs to be addressed if there's going to be any future attendance.

Coney

Smash Master
what are the problems?

maybe this is something for another thread, but what specific problems are there with the tournament scene that drive people away? not challenging you, just asking

B0NK

Smash Lord
^^^This

More so because any TO would like to know this information to improve.

also LMAO @ this Sleek Media character xD

BMX

Smash Lord
From my own perspective:

1. I believe teams are a definite problem. It is an unfair balance of 3-5 teams consisting of two pros taking everyone out and making other lower ranked teams feel depressed about themselves. Considering the fact that doubles is the first event that takes place, it makes possible tourney entrants shy away from the singles tourney. This, of course, cannot be solved because no one has the power to force anyone to team with anyone. In the end, it's all about face, money, and competition.

2. Tournament location is a big problem, as well. We all live in different areas and a tournament location is always objectionable. It'll either be very close to some smashers while it'll be a far drive to others. The fact that we say we will come to a tournament 3 weeks before it happens and then turn back on our word the day before makes for an uneasy attendance. It always makes possible attendees say I don't wanna go if these smashers don't wanna go. Just like number 1, we can't force people to come, but we can give incentives for those who do come. My boy, Snap, is hosting a tourney Jan 15th and is giving cash incentives to those who have a lengthy drive to make to arrive to his tourney. It is a brilliant idea, in my opinion because it makes the tourney a lot more appealing. I believe that we need to the same for the sake of appeal(not the cash incentive, just throwing that out as an example). Tant's was very far for us Woodbridge peeps, but it was worth it. Unfortunately, my friend who drove us didn't like the tourney because he felt Tant didn't care.

3. The pros don't give a crap to those less than themselves. Obviously, this isn't true with most people because I've seen some pros talking to newbies and helping them as well. There is an easy solution to this. Sit down and play them. Teach them things about Brawl. This makes first timers come back for more. Please start doing this because the Smash community is suffering as it is.

I really don't see any other problems, but I haven't gone to many tourneys recently. These are the problems I see through my eyes, so take it with a grain of salt. I actually love what Tant is doing, so keep it up. For some of you pros, I know you've been trying to help those with less skill than yourselves, so keep that up.

10-_^b

I can't believe I typed this. O___O Y'all are the reason I don't go to tourneys now.

Kaffei

Smash Hero
I'm very new to the tourney scene so I can't exactly say much but I think the pro ppl should welcome the noob ppl more and teach them like bonk said.
When I came everyone was very welcoming to me and everyone gave me advice when i asked for it and stuff but i notice other noobs and u guys dont talk to them.

SOVAman

Smash Hero
From my own perspective:

1. I believe teams are a definite problem. It is an unfair balance of 3-5 teams consisting of two pros taking everyone out and making other lower ranked teams feel depressed about themselves. Considering the fact that doubles is the first event that takes place, it makes possible tourney entrants shy away from the singles tourney. This, of course, cannot be solved because no one has the power to force anyone to team with anyone. In the end, it's all about face, money, and competition.

2. Tournament location is a big problem, as well. We all live in different areas and a tournament location is always objectionable. It'll either be very close to some smashers while it'll be a far drive to others. The fact that we say we will come to a tournament 3 weeks before it happens and then turn back on our word the day before makes for an uneasy attendance. It always makes possible attendees say I don't wanna go if these smashers don't wanna go. Just like number 1, we can't force people to come, but we can give incentives for those who do come. My boy, Snap, is hosting a tourney Jan 15th and is giving cash incentives to those who have a lengthy drive to make to arrive to his tourney. It is a brilliant idea, in my opinion because it makes the tourney a lot more appealing. I believe that we need to the same for the sake of appeal(not the cash incentive, just throwing that out as an example). Tant's was very far for us Woodbridge peeps, but it was worth it. Unfortunately, my friend who drove us didn't like the tourney because he felt Tant didn't care.

3. The pros don't give a crap to those less than themselves. Obviously, this isn't true with most people because I've seen some pros talking to newbies and helping them as well. There is an easy solution to this. Sit down and play them. Teach them things about Brawl. This makes first timers come back for more. Please start doing this because the Smash community is suffering as it is.

I really don't see any other problems, but I haven't gone to many tourneys recently. These are the problems I see through my eyes, so take it with a grain of salt. I actually love what Tant is doing, so keep it up. For some of you pros, I know you've been trying to help those with less skill than yourselves, so keep that up.

10-_^b

I can't believe I typed this. O___O Y'all are the reason I don't go to tourneys now.
tl;dr

also @ Kaffei pro players don't give a **** about new players they just want your money lmao

TheTantalus

Smash Hero
Yeah I'm really sorry about the WB friend who came and I think I messed up something in the signups for him, ugh.

Very very sorry about that.

At any rate, we'll be doing pools going forward all the time, because it was definitely the money's worth for everyone. People got a ton of unique experiences and matchups and we definitely saw a ton of surprises.

Coney

Smash Master
At any rate, we'll be doing pools going forward all the time, because it was definitely the money's worth for everyone. People got a ton of unique experiences and matchups and we definitely saw a ton of surprises.
awesome. awesome awesome.

also tbh i think part of the fault is on the less-talented players. i see a bunch of new people kinda just...not playing, i guess. or playing in their own little groups.

if you wanna play better people, you have to make the move yourself. you can't expect a top player to come up to someone they don't even know and ask to play, they're always going to ask someone they know, someone at or around their skill level because it's what they feel comfortable with. you have to ask them, get acquainted with them. you can't really just expect them to come to you.

if you want to get better, you have to be able to show the initiative, i guess is what i'm trying to say.

i'm kinda guilty of this myself (smokey asked me to play once before i played winners finals @ xanadu and i said no, i was getting ready for the set) but i'm personally weird about playing friendlies during tourney anyway :<

Coney

Smash Master
then you're halfway there!

oh also tbh i don't like initiating friendlies with players i don't know because ddd isn't really a friendly character

if i can beat them without chaingrabbing i feel like i'm sandbagging and they don't think i care, and if they're good enough that i have to chaingrab i feel like i'm making people hate the game

it's a delicate dance

Omni

You can't break those cuffs.
BRoomer
wtf @ all this talking

if you're new you prove yourself and earn your keep into the community. this ain't barney's sing-a-long where we introduce "tommy the new kid" into our playground fun.

@boss: stop whining about md/va being dead mangz. you only do that when nobody shows up to Chu's. you should know by now that it is what it is yo. chu's place don't got that swag no more. more people from MD go further south for Woodbridge or Fredericksburg so no johns

here i'll show you how ur suppose to do it

1.) enter the new scene
2.) bass at the glory that is Omni and the rest of the smash scene
3.) realize how good we are
4.) do your own homework. dont ask us to spoon feed you. get near our level with your own ability
5.) earn respect
6.) ???
7.) profit

just sayin

Kaffei

Smash Hero
omni did u quit? just wondering cus i hear u're losing interest

@coney
then you're halfway there!

oh also tbh i don't like initiating friendlies with players i don't know because ddd isn't really a friendly character

if i can beat them without chaingrabbing i feel like i'm sandbagging and they don't think i care, and if they're good enough that i have to chaingrab i feel like i'm making people hate the game

it's a delicate dance
Ugh I have the same feeling as MK -.-

Omni

BRoomer
i haven't quit. i entered like 3-4 tournaments already this season?

i've just been busy the past two weekends

Sleek Media

Smash Lord
timing... out... a samus?

you fuggin suck -_^b
Yeah...try playing an excellent Samus with Mario on a stage like battlefield, then get back to me. Not everybody plays cutthroat counterpicking.

lolz if you think that's cheap then you probably shouldn't be coming.
That's good advice. So good, in fact, that everybody took it, and the tournament never even happened. It's just like I told you before, kid - keep chasing players like me away, and soon you'll have nothing left. Didn't take very long, did it?

So sorry for sounding entitled? Your local Brawl community is pretty much dead, so I think you all better start feeling "entitled" enough to at least say what you want and come to some kind of terms with each other.

Also, why are you so presumptuous about what tournaments I have and haven't been to? I've been to three since I moved to the NOVA area in September alone, and I attended many others when I lived in Orlando and Pittsburgh. I've played in tournaments with 20 players, and tournaments with 120 players. Fact is, some are alot better than others, and they've all gotten LESS fun as the rules became more strict and the metagame became overdeveloped. I know nobody on this forum wants to change that...which is why I'm done attending tournaments, with the possible exception of Otronicon (kind of a tradition with my college buddies).

Kaffei

Smash Hero
Yeah...try playing an excellent Samus with Mario on a stage like battlefield, then get back to me. Not everybody plays cutthroat counterpicking.

That's good advice. So good, in fact, that everybody took it, and the tournament never even happened. It's just like I told you before, kid - keep chasing players like me away, and soon you'll have nothing left. Didn't take very long, did it?

So sorry for sounding entitled? Your local Brawl community is pretty much dead, so I think you all better start feeling "entitled" enough to at least say what you want and come to some kind of terms with each other.

Also, why are you so presumptuous about what tournaments I have and haven't been to? I've been to three since I moved to the NOVA area in September alone, and I attended many others when I lived in Orlando and Pittsburgh. I've played in tournaments with 20 players, and tournaments with 120 players. Fact is, some are alot better than others, and they've all gotten LESS fun as the rules became more strict and the metagame became overdeveloped. I know nobody on this forum wants to change that...which is why I'm done attending tournaments, with the possible exception of Otronicon (kind of a tradition with my college buddies).

What are you talking about? I'm a newcomer and people are nice to me because I have a good mindset. I try to play the pros and I ask them for advice. I respect people who respect me and I don't get frustrated by things you call "cheap".

I don't really care what tourney's you've been to. I've only been to 6 and I have a better mindset than you. You just cry about meta knights and spammy people. You TIME out samuses yet you complain about spam

So stupid.

B0NK

Smash Lord
Also, why are you so presumptuous about what tournaments I have and haven't been to? I've played in tournaments with 20 players, and tournaments with 120 players.
Yooooooooo so have I

We must be special.

That's right everyone Me and Sleek Media here opinions matter more than everyone else. So don't bother saying anything.

Actually we have a better idea of what the scene in MD/VA wants and not only that but

Sleek Media said:
Fact is, some are alot better than others, and they've all gotten LESS fun as the rules became more strict and the metagame became overdeveloped. I know nobody on this forum wants to change that
we KNOW what the community on this board wants and thinks. I mean the community is completely blind to this OVERdeveloped metagame. We bringing D3 back to 3rd best character CGing everybody. That's how the metagame should be!!!

Everybody is just too blind to see that. So basically we da bess and WE OUT.

In all serious I've read all the post and thank you BMX, and Coney for sharing those very good points

Omni

BRoomer
stop speaking in "we" @ Bonk

sleek media, no one cares dude. if u have a problem with the community dont join. just dont act like u're saying something new or exciting or w/e.

we've been alive for 8 years without you. we're fine

Coney

Smash Master
our scene isn't dead, where did you get that idea? we have a full scene with a ton of good players, it's just that we're trying to expand a bit. there are some players that come to like, one or two things randomly (rise, p5, pg players)...whether these guys care enough to keep coming or not is up to them, we're just trying to encourage them

i think it's funny that you're saying chu's tournament is indicative of the scene dying, when we just had a 40+ man tourney with OOS rep and a 50 man tourney @ xanadu with the entire PR present.

i have absolutely no clue what you're talking about in terms of strict rules or metagame "overdevelopment." what the hell does that even mean? you either like the game or you don't. if you do, come to tourneys, play people, get better. if you don't, nobody cares why you don't, just quit already. if you like the game but not the community, that's indicative of a different issue altogether, though i still suspect we'd be better off not catering to people like you.

bottom line, everyone seems to throw up their hands when chu doesn't get any attendance when in reality, there are a lot of factors as to why. i think this region's moving away from a tourney-every-weekend deal like it used to be, and that's not necessarily a bad thing.

Karcist

Smash Journeyman
$10 entries into every ****ing tournament kills it for me, especially for doubles. I prefer to just show up and play friendlies rather than actually enter nowadays.

Coney

Smash Master
$10 entries into every ****ing tournament kills it for me, especially for doubles. I prefer to just show up and play friendlies rather than actually enter nowadays.
this is fair!

would pools increase your likelihood of entering? some tourneys have $5 buy-ins, would more of those help at all?

someone should probably make a separate thread about this or something

Karcist

Smash Journeyman
this is fair!

would pools increase your likelihood of entering? some tourneys have $5 buy-ins, would more of those help at all?

someone should probably make a separate thread about this or something
$5 buy ins are great. I regret missing Sassy's last tourney. I didn't see the thread since I hadn't been on much. Pools are good too IMO. I've only been to one of Chu's biweeklies because they always seem to fall on bad days.

I especially think doubles should be $5 entry though, considering how few people enter due to money johns. I find doubles to be way more fun than singles and thats mainly what I've been wanting to enter but only PRs enter because of the money.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom