• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Clash of the Titans 5! ~ Twitter Updates @vVv_ChiboSempai

Status
Not open for further replies.

Djent

Smash Champion
Ya but you don't know that before hand. Getting 2nd seed is usually pretty bad in a tournament, it makes it HARDER to win. This all just top player bias bull**** anyways.
Top player bias? How do you get that analysis out of what I said?

Top players will place high no matter what. It's everyone else who is affected by shenanigans such as Ally's. You're the one being biased toward them, as you seem okay with letting them undermine the seeding -> skill correlation. Which doesn't exist for them in the first place, but for everyone else.

Djent

Smash Champion
If you enter to try to place in the money, you had better be ready to beat someone good at some point, instead of hoping you will get an easy bracket and not have to face anyone good.

If you are entering to rep your character and/or just prove yourself, you won't impress anyone for long if you just got an easy bracket. If you place 7th being nothing but randoms along the way, its not much better than placing 33rd and losing to Ally and M2K.

From what I see, none of the top 8 players were in loser's bracket round 1 so its not like anyone got majorly screwed.
I don't give a **** where I place. I suck, and most of my enjoyment of this game is vicarious. The only thing that I actually care about is that my placing has meaning. Scenarios like the one you describe are made more probable when people don't take pools seriously, and that devalues the numerical ranking system. It may or may not have in this particular case, but that's irrelevant. It's wrong because it increases the potential of skewed placements.

Djent

Smash Champion
That's totally not true, but ok if you say so. =)

@djent ok so who's affected by getting 2nd seed? Only 1 player. Maybe 2?
Dapuffster would have taken 2nd seed in Ally's pool, but because Ally sandbagged against Pelca he got 3rd seed.

So instead of 1) Ally, 2) Dapuffster, 3) Pelca, we got: 1) Pelca, 2) Ally, 3) Dapuffster. There you go, Kage - 3 people in this pool alone were affected. And that's without even looking at the bracket.

ANTi_

Smash Hero
You're acting as if Pelca had no chance on beating Ally, even without the sandbagging.

Let's just pretend that Ally SD'ed 6 times as Snake ;)

xDD-Master

Smash Champion
Not really, it's to my own discretion if I want to try or not in pools. I also sandbag sometimes because it should be too easy to beat everyone anyways.
And people only get away with this because of the "more than one try" system (Top 3-4 advances in Pools & Double Elimination Bracket).

I think with only Top 1 advances in Pools and Single Elimination, nearly no one would troll in pools or bracket.

Not that I'm saying its better or something like that... I'm not sure. Both systems (Only One Try // More tries) have their own ups and downs...

steep

Smash Lord
Woo for the shortest GF's I've ever seen! Good **** by Bizkit against M2K in Loser's Semis. **** son puttin' in some sick work.

Tesh

Smash Hero
Bizkit vs Ally would have been a great set for grand finals. Ally has such a smart MK.

Djent

Smash Champion
@Djent: Ya I lost to Mango's Link and Marth so what? It means I wasn't strong enough then to beat him. I don't hold him against him for using these characters, it's his choice.. I'm totally ok with it hey I mean it's an easier matchup than Falco or Jiggs.. but I still lost. I don't care about my current skill of the game, I want to win! If I can't win vs the top players then I don't deserve to win, simple as that. I'll definitely always try to find ways to however... that should be everyone's goals but I guess the motivation is complete bull**** amongst most players.
I originally missed this part, so I apologize for my late response.

From the bolded text, it appears you are of the Ricky Bobby mindset, where "If you're not first, you're last." Which is fine, but if that's the case, why seed at all? Surely the best player will emerge from a random bracket as easily as a seeded one. Maybe I'm putting words in your mouth here, but it really seems that's what you're getting at...

Also, it's not fair to tell everyone else what their goals should be. Most people enter tournaments for the experience and don't care much about making it all the way to Grand Finals. For them, the placings below the top do matter, because they will only ever know it vicariously. They might care very much whether they're 25th or 9th, because it reflects their progression as players.

Also, I never said anything about Marth or Link; please refer to my sig. :embarrass:

Also, I think I'm done arguing with you for now. It's been interesting, but I'm tired and I'll probably have to wake up in less than 8 hours. Just so you understand, I don't think less of you because of your views - I just find their implications for meaningful results frustrating. Good night.

Djent

Smash Champion
You're acting as if Pelca had no chance on beating Ally, even without the sandbagging.

Let's just pretend that Ally SD'ed 6 times as Snake ;)
I'm doing no such thing. I would have loved to see him beat Ally in a legitimate upset, but Ally robbed him of that opportunity.

Divinokage

Smash Legend
I originally missed this part, so I apologize for my late response.

From the bolded text, it appears you are of the Ricky Bobby mindset, where "If you're not first, you're last." Which is fine, but if that's the case, why seed at all? Surely the best player will emerge from a random bracket as easily as a seeded one. Maybe I'm putting words in your mouth here, but it really seems that's what you're getting at...

Also, it's not fair to tell everyone else what their goals should be. Most people enter tournaments for the experience and don't care much about making it all the way to Grand Finals. For them, the placings below the top do matter, because they will only ever know it vicariously. They might care very much whether they're 25th or 9th, because it reflects their progression as players.

Also, I never said anything about Marth or Link; please refer to my sig. :embarrass:

Also, I think I'm done arguing with you for now. It's been interesting, but I'm tired and I'll probably have to wake up in less than 8 hours. Just so you understand, I don't think less of you because of your views - I just find their implications for meaningful results frustrating. Good night.
Ya that's fine, I don't normally force my views onto someone it's not my intention, but I would still like to see more spirit in everyone, that's not going to change. But to me, I don't understand how when you enter a tournament, you wouldn't want to win it. Sure in the beginning you learn and stuff but there's limits to how much losing you can take. lol. The spot light is for the people that do really well. I don't see how anyone wouldn't want that. Everyone wants to have some kind of attention, we are humans after all.. feeling loved is very important.

Ya I saw the other pools.. where Lain and Atomsk got 2nd as well.. why not penalize them as well? What if the other 1st seeds legitimately beat Ally and these 2? Would you say the same thing? The end result is STILL the same, the brackets will be ****ed, right? This can happen pretty often since it's impossible to win over everyone 100% of the time.. there's times where you can slip up and lose vs someone lower skilled than you. It definitely happens.

B_AWAL

Smash Master
Ok...

From a MORAL standpoint it was messed up

but in REALITY you all have to understand that ALLY was just HAVING FUN(2 a degree) and if no1 could beat him regardless its their own fault

Playing MK 2 win takes the fun out of the game cuz u have to be gay @ times...Well ALOT of times
So If he didnt wanna play MK or Snake and win he might have wanted to play another character 4 fun

SO WHAT he lost as a result but at least he did what he wanted 2... Which was ENJOY THE ****ING GAME

the major point is this... Yes it was unfair to every1 that had 2 fight him early... but if you can't beat ALLY then GET BETTER

HYPE MATCHES ARE GOING OT HAPPEN REGARDLESS

Not only that but OTHER PLAYERS WILL HAVE A CHANCE TO ADVANCE

Like u guys are being so pebble minded your forgetting the bigger picture is like 2 sides of a coin

Yes Ally screws over some players early.. but because of that other players gained an opportunity

TBH EVERY1 was thinking 1st & 2nd would be M2K & ALLY ANYWAYS!!! Well look @ what happened??? lol (Wait ADHD was here?)

We still got to see Junebug vs M2k, girl on girl action and other hyped **** lol

Angel.M <3 C:

Smash Champion
Everyone shut up about Ally and sandbagging pools. It didnt effect much. He played m2k in winners SEMIS not quarters like everyone was saying(I even said it, because of the information i was given). Ally playing m2k in semis isnt THAT big of a deal.

I mean I agree people should always go 100% all the time, but its hard for people to always go 100% because it's just not as fun. Going a secondary makes the game more fun for some people, and its not like Ally picked wolf and said "oh I'm picking wolf because I want to lose" Ally legit TRIED to win.

If you're scared to face ally, shut up and get better. STOP JOHNING. "Oh I'm facing Ally round 1. I got bracket ***** and ima lose." NO SHUT UP AND WIN STOP BEING A ***** YOU AREN'T FACING JESUS.

If I made grammatical errors or anything I'm sorry I'm really tired. Goodnight.

B_AWAL

Smash Master
Everyone shut up about Ally and sandbagging pools. It didnt effect much. He played m2k in winners SEMIS not quarters like everyone was saying(I even said it, because of the information i was given). Ally playing m2k in semis isnt THAT big of a deal.

I mean I agree people should always go 100% all the time, but its hard for people to always go 100% because it's just not as fun. Going a secondary makes the game more fun for some people, and its not like Ally picked wolf and said "oh I'm picking wolf because I want to lose" Ally legit TRIED to win.

If you're scared to face ally, shut up and get better. STOP JOHNING. "Oh I'm facing Ally round 1. I got bracket ***** and ima lose." NO SHUT UP AND WIN STOP BEING A ***** YOU AREN'T FACING JESUS.

If I made grammatical errors or anything I'm sorry I'm really tired. Goodnight.
What this guy said

& dis tourney needed more Sonic

:sonic:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom