• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Classic Games

Tsunade

Smash Rookie
Even with the release of all of these new games that have tons and tons of features, add-ons, online play, etc. i'm still obsessed w/ some of the oldest games.

Some of favorites are Ms. Pacman, Super Mario RPG, and Toy Pop.

what are some other great titles?

The Halloween Captain

Smash Master
Does Paper Mario count?

When a game hides it's graphical inefficiencies behind an interface that looks exactly how it is expected to look anyway, it stays a classic forever.

I can honestly say that while Paper Mario doesn't look great, the fact that I expect no more than a pop-up book graphically enables me to almost completely ignore the fact that the graphics are bad.

The fact that it's an awesome RPG in it's own right helps a lot, though.

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
Super Metroid.

Best game ever.

Scott!

Smash Lord
Ms. Pac-Man is a great one indeed. I have that for my Genesis.

Also on my Genesis, I had the Aladdin game, which was awesome, though I always had serious issues with the lava level. I loved it though; the secrets were fun, and it was a good platformer. I also got it free from my cousin when he didn't want it anymore, so that's nice. Also, the game based on the movie The Pagemaster was a ton of fun. Where else can you throw squishy eyeballs at flying books, bounce on pirates, and dodge literary icons while searching for the exit (and a few library cards along the way). An awesome game based on an awesome movie based on an awesome book based on an awesome concept.

Another one I remember, and have played through to the point where, even now, many years since I've touched it, I'd still know most if not all levels, is Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins. Now that was a fun game. Fire flowers were awesome, and the bunny ears of flight and glory were pretty sweet.

airsmasher

Smash Apprentice
Ms. Pac-Man is a great one indeed. I have that for my Genesis.

Also on my Genesis, I had the Aladdin game, which was awesome, though I always had serious issues with the lava level. I loved it though; the secrets were fun, and it was a good platformer. I also got it free from my cousin when he didn't want it anymore, so that's nice. Also, the game based on the movie The Pagemaster was a ton of fun. Where else can you throw squishy eyeballs at flying books, bounce on pirates, and dodge literary icons while searching for the exit (and a few library cards along the way). An awesome game based on an awesome movie based on an awesome book based on an awesome concept.

Another one I remember, and have played through to the point where, even now, many years since I've touched it, I'd still know most if not all levels, is Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins. Now that was a fun game. Fire flowers were awesome, and the bunny ears of flight and glory were pretty sweet.
The other day I was at a store, and saw the SNES version of Aladdin. I wasn't sure whether or not to buy it, as I've heard mixed reviews. I know the Super Nintendo and Genesis versions are identical, so...
My favorite classic games are Pokemon Red, Banjo-Kazooie, Demon's Crest, Ristar, Mortal Kombat, Donkey Kong Country, and Kirby Super Star.

kigbariom

Smash Lord
Kirby 64 Crystal Shards

All-time best Kirby, instant classic,
As for greatest classic and best video game on Earth,
Super Mario 64.

Notice all the 64's in that statement,

Sobchak

Smash Rookie
God, lego racers reminds me of lego island. I loved that game and I would still give it a run-through today if I had it. Anyone remember Boogerman?

c3gill

Smash Ace
Zombies ate my Nieghbors, Super Mario World, DK Country (all 3 of them!), LoZ: LttP....

and im realizing now that while NES was my first system, the SNES completely rocked it. SNES had a large amount of classics.

Jimnymebob

Smash Champion
NNID
Jimnymebob
Most games for the Amiga were great- especially Zool 2, Superfrog, The Chaos Engine, Monkey Island 2 and James Pond 2 Robocod. The Master System was a beast, as was the Mega Drive.

Also- Centipede and Break Out>>>>>>All.

D

Deleted member

This one is pretty obscure but, I'll say Communist Mutants from Space. I loved Super Mario Bros., Galaga, Castlevania, Street Fighter II, China Warrior, SMB 3, Blaster Master, Super Mario World, Super Mario RPG, Yoshi's Cookie, Wario's Woods, Dr. Mario, Tetris, and most of all Chrono Trigger. There are probably 100 more I could list.

urdailywater

Smash Hero
Does Paper Mario count?

When a game hides it's graphical inefficiencies behind an interface that looks exactly how it is expected to look anyway, it stays a classic forever.

I can honestly say that while Paper Mario doesn't look great, the fact that I expect no more than a pop-up book graphically enables me to almost completely ignore the fact that the graphics are bad.

The fact that it's an awesome RPG in it's own right helps a lot, though.
Pretty much agreed. That game was an instant classic in my heart. I don't like the new super paper mario as much as it, though. It's mainly because of the fact it's less strategy and story which was kind of a downsider. =/

I still have it on my n64. It was one of the several 24 N64 games I didn't sell in order to get a gamecube.

edit: can't forget super mario bros. 3.
Yah, I grew up a little later in the NES age (aka right when n64 was about to start) but super mario bros. 3 was the one game that kept me interested in gaming for a long time. I remember our worn down NES which would hardly play video games (it was so broken), but I would sit in front of the tv for hours trying to get the game to play.

If it broke down on the intro screen, I'd sit for 3 more hours. It was that good of a game, and still is. :D

trueganon

Smash Journeyman
I gotta agree with c3gill on Zombies Ate My Neighbors. It's still one of my all time favorite games ever. I also love the original Breath of Fire games, 2 and 3 are my tops. I still play 2 on the Wii .. um.. thing. I forgot what it was called.

New games are just...new. They don't have the same retro-y awesomeness as the golden oldies.

Overload

Smash Lord
ZAMN is a beautiful game. I bought a second copy, boxed, just to hang on to.
The other day I bought 60 Atari 2600 games from the flea market for 60 bucks. I'm very into old school stuff.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
I'm inclined to close this because it's becoming a list topic.

Either actually discuss the games, or I close. Read my "Open Source gaming..." topic to see how to do topics like this and prevent it from being "List Topic" closed.

Top Bottom