• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Classic Mode Minigames

Kirbunny431

Smash Journeyman

Target Test: Appeared in all three Smash games. The player must break ten targets without dying/running out of time. In SSB64 and SSBM, target tests were unique to each character. In SSBB, there are only five target test stages in the whole game, getting progressively harder with each level.

Board the Platforms: Only present in SSB64. Players must board all of the platforms without dying/running out of time. Much like target tests, characters each have their own unique course.

Race to the Finish: Present in SSB64 and SSBM. Players must make it to the exit in a certain amount of time. So far, there's only been one course per game. In SSB64, players had to fight their way past three Fighting Polygons to get to the end. Melee offered a much longer and more diverse stage, with three potential paths to follow.

Snag the Trophies: Present in SSBM. Three trophies fall from the sky, and the player needs to hit them into a cage to obtain them. Only one stage has ever existed for this minigame.

What minigames games do you want/expect for SSB4's classic mode? Should Target Test go back to being unique for each character? Should BtP, RttF, and StT return? Should they be altered in any way? Discuss!

Kirbunny431

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, I agree. Melee's method of extending times for slower characters was okay, but there'd be much more potential if each character had their own RttF.

:phone:

Kink-Link5

Smash Hero
In a pipedream, individual character movement options and cancels, especially edge, ledge, and land cancels, would have a huge role in making the courses.

Run-off ledge drop wall jump into double jump tornado waveland yeahhhh

ItsSilverLPs

Banned via Warnings
I would love to see RttF and BtP back.
Target Test should be individual again, same with BtP, and probably even RttF.
RttF should also be selectable in the menu.

DakotaBonez

The Depraved Optimist
I really liked the 5 target smash in brawl.
Each was designed for huge potential in speed runs and any character had a chance at making a new potential record. It was like some crazy puzzle and you could complete them by breaking the targets on a different but non-stop path each time. It was crazy fun using the items and discovering how to use them for trick shots. Like on that one level where ya throw the sword way up high and it hits a target which make it rocket downward, and while it's spinning part of it goes through the wall hitting a target that you'd normally have to walk around to reach, and then you catch it midair and throw it left into a target where it ricochets into 2 more targets.
I'd like to see them incorporate Co-op Target smash levels. Imagine the puzzles you could make for 2 people!
Items in Target Smash was the best Idea ever.
I'd like to see more puzzles like that.
Imagine using cracker launcher to fire those bouncy fireworks around walls to hit targets.

Dude what if you could make your own break the target levels and Share them!

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
I agree that each character deserves their own Board the Platform, Break the Targets, and Race to the Finish stages (which by the way, the latter needs to be a "stadium mode").

Oh, and while I'm at it, an awesome reward for beating all of them would be the ability to play all of them with different characters. C'mon, who doesn't want to play a Ganondorf Race to the Finish as Sonic, or vice versa=??? :laugh: That would be so freaking sweet. I know that would add a lot of hours to those modes for me if that was in the game! It would also allow for more world records involving Smash WiiU and 3DS to be defended and broken, and would ultimately produce some epic speed run videos! :)

Kirbunny431

Smash Journeyman
I really liked the 5 target smash in brawl.
Each was designed for huge potential in speed runs and any character had a chance at making a new potential record. It was like some crazy puzzle and you could complete them by breaking the targets on a different but non-stop path each time. It was crazy fun using the items and discovering how to use them for trick shots. Like on that one level where ya throw the sword way up high and it hits a target which make it rocket downward, and while it's spinning part of it goes through the wall hitting a target that you'd normally have to walk around to reach, and then you catch it midair and throw it left into a target where it ricochets into 2 more targets.
I'd like to see them incorporate Co-op Target smash levels. Imagine the puzzles you could make for 2 people!
Items in Target Smash was the best Idea ever.
I'd like to see more puzzles like that.
Imagine using cracker launcher to fire those bouncy fireworks around walls to hit targets.

Dude what if you could make your own break the target levels and Share them!
All very nice sentiments. I must say that I preferred the individual target tests, though. Brawl's 5-level target smashes weren't bad, but I just liked the more personal ones. Who knows? Maybe we can have both individual Target Tests and just plain regular ones.

Creating Target Tests and such would be fun, too!

I agree that each character deserves their own Board the Platform, Break the Targets, and Race to the Finish stages (which by the way, the latter needs to be a "stadium mode").
Yes, yes, yes, and YES! I really wish RttF was selectable in Stadium. That would've been great.

Oh, and while I'm at it, an awesome reward for beating all of them would be the ability to play all of them with different characters. C'mon, who doesn't want to play a Ganondorf Race to the Finish as Sonic, or vice versa=??? :laugh: That would be so freaking sweet. I know that would add a lot of hours to those modes for me if that was in the game! It would also allow for more world records involving Smash WiiU and 3DS to be defended and broken, and would ultimately produce some epic speed run videos! :)
Also yes. I can't imagine myself doing very well on Sonic's target test with Ganondorf, but it'd be fun nonetheless.

That'd be a whole lot of records, though. If the next Smash has 50 characters (rough assumption), then that's 2500 potential records for Target Test alone. If we include BtP and RttF, then that's 7500 possible records to make and break. Amazing potential.

At least, I think I'm doing that math right. It's summer, so I tend to get a little lax with stuff like math.

---
Edit: Updated the OP. Fixed a couple things and added pictures, because everybody likes pictures.

DakotaBonez

The Depraved Optimist
Ok Ok obviously this thread's majority want individual target smash, I can understand that XC
I was thinking that a cool feature to add alongside break the targets or race to the finish or whatever game they include, is a harder difficulty where bob-ombs rapidly fall.
Or maybe that could just be a new special mode for fighting. Constantly having those bombs appear like in Sudden Death.
I still stand by the inclusion of items in target smash. And a Target Smash stage creator would be the sickest.

A fun game to play in Brawl is CrackShot. Basically you make a Stage with high rising walls on either side and a pillar in the center seperating them. Cover the roof in Spikes so as to keep anyone from spawning up top. Basically ya wanna make it so 1 player spawns on the left side and the other spawns on the right. It works 2 vs 2 also. Anyway make some openings in the center pillar to shoot fireworks from the cracker launcher through. Or just make a low pillar that can't be jumped while holding the cracker launcher. Set the game mode to Stamina and the Cracker Launchers to very high and try to KO yer opponent.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
huh... speaking of Classic Mode... I remember an idea I once had which is to randomize things a little bit more than Melee or Brawl. while Melee, the stage decided the type of battle, in Brawl, the stage decided the series character. and the bonus stages could be less predictable... something like this:

[COLLAPSE="Classic Mode"]in 2vs2 battles the first opponent mentioned by the announcer (in other words, P3), decides the stage, which, like in Brawl, is based from the character's series. in this model, the same style of battle never occurs in a row.

Stage 1: 1vs1 or 2vs2 - any opponent
Stage 2: 1vs1 or 2vs2 - battle style depends on previous stage
Stage 3: Giant (2 allies) or Multi Man Battle - any opponent
Bonus 1: Break the Targets

Stage 4: 1vs1 or 2vs2
Stage 5: 1vs1 or 2vs2 - much like stages 1 and 2
Stage 6: Giant (1 ally) or Multi Man Battle - depends on Stage 3's battle style
Bonus 2: Board the platforms

Stage 7: 1vs1, 2vs2, Metal
Stage 8: 1vs1, 2vs2, Metal - either Stage 7 or 8 could be a Metal Battle
Bonus 3: Race to the finish

Stage 9: Any battle style - Could be 1vs1, 2vs2, Metal, Giant with no allies or Multi Man Battle. An unpredictable stage, though 1vs1 or 2vs2 depended on the battle style besides Metal during Stages 7 and 8. if 1vs1 during Stages 7 or 8, then this would never be a 1vs1.
Stage 10: Multi Man Battle against a team of your own character of choice.
Stage 11: Free for all against random opponents. Always on Battlefield.
Bonus 4: Grab the Trophies (like Melee)

Final Stage: Vs. Master Hand (and Crazy Hand in the same conditions as Melee and Brawl) in Final Destination[/COLLAPSE]

focusing on the bonus modes, they could also put the Home Run Contest as a bonus stage, with the score depending on how far you could launch Sandbag. of course, Board the Platforms and Race to the Finish should return as well... in terms of Bonus stages, Brawl's Classic mode was lacking.

for Break the Targets, they could have the five difficulties for each character, in other words, five individual Target Smash stages for each character and difficulty combination.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
The following is what I had in mind for Classic Mode...

[collapse=Classic Mode Concept]Classic Mode should revert back to how it operated in Melee, but with some various additions...

Stage 1: 1 vs. 1
Stage 2: 2 vs. 2
Stage 3: Multi-Man Battle (x10)
Bonus 1: Target Smash
Stage 4: 1 vs. 1
Stage 5: 3 vs. 1 (giant)
Stage 6: Multi-Man Battle (x15)
Bonus 2: Platform Jump (AKA: Board the Platforms)
Stage 7: 1 vs. 1
Stage 8: Multi-Man Battle (x20)
Stage 9: 1 vs. 1 (metal)
Bonus 3: Race to the Finish!
Stage 10: Fighting Alloy Team (x30)
Stage 11: 1 vs. 1 vs. 1 vs. 1 (Free-for-all)
Stage 12-1: Master Hand (all skill levels)
Stage 12-2: Master Hand & Crazy Hand (Normal, Hard, Very Hard, and Intense only)

All opponents would be random, meaning no franchise orders or anything. Also, you never face the exact same character more than once; if you face Mario in stage 1, he will not be your opponent for the other stages. Your teammates from stage 2 and stage 5 can still end up as your opponents though.

Regarding Master Hand, you'd only face him on the Very Easy and Easy skill levels. If you're playing Normal, Hard, Very Hard, or Intense, however, Crazy Hand will appear if you reach stage 12 without continuing, and within 15 minutes.

Regarding the Intense difficulty level, it won't be available right off the bat. To unlock the Intense difficulty level, you'll have to complete the first 5 skill levels first. Fortunately, clearing the Intense difficulty level isn't mandatory, as it's merely a bonus difficulty level.[/collapse]

Kink-Link5

Smash Hero
I feel like there are too many multi-battles in that, and especially the free-for-all feels tacked-on in Brawl.

The mode draws inspiration from the battle types in their smash64 1P order, as well as Melee's Adventure mode battles.

Stage 1: 1 vs 1
Stage 2: 1 vs x10
Stage 3: 1 vs 1
-BONUS Stage 1: Break the Targets.
No life penalty if failed.
Stage 4: 2 vs 2.
Teams are chosen from a list of candidate teams to make sense in some form
Stage 5: 1 vs 1
Stage 6: 3 vs 1 Giant
-BONUS stage 2: Board the Platforms
No life penalty if lost.
Stage 7: 1 vs 1
Stage 8: 1 vs x15
EXTRA Stage 8-2: 1 vs 1 Giant of the team of 15
(Defeat the team in less than 40 seconds on easy-normal, fought automatically on hard-intense). No life penalty if lost.
Stage 9: 1 vs 1 Metal
ALTERNATE Stage 9: 1 vs 2 Metal
(if Stage 8-2 is cleared)
-BONUS stage 3: Race to the Finish
No life penalty if lost
Stage 10: 1 vs X Viruses
(Easy: 15 Normal: 20 Hard: 30 Very Hard: 35 Intense: 45)
Stage 11: 1 vs Master Hand
ALTERNATE Stage 11: 1 vs Master Hand and Crazy Hand
(If playing on Hard-Intense)
Credits: Credit, Sticker, and Trophy Shoot.

Kirbunny431

Smash Journeyman
I'd honestly prefer any of those over Brawl's Classic Mode. Classic in Brawl is so...dull. I barely managed to clear it with all of the characters.

I think I like Kink-Link's the most, though. Kinda reminds me of the conditional battles in Melee's Adventure Mode.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
I would like if all of the minigames came back, give or take Snag the Trophies.

I had planned to explain my reasoning, but I think it would be easier to just agree with Kink-Link.

MelMoe

Smash Journeyman
I want a claw machine mini game that u can win trophies & other collectibles out of.

And all other previous mini games.

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
Race to the Finish was one of my most favorite minigames, but it sucked when it didn't return... I mean, Sonic was in SSBB. I would love to see how fast it would take him to get to the other side. Lol

JavaCroc

Smash Ace
Individual Target Test and Race to the Finish should come back. Not sure about Board the platforms, it would feel redundant next to the other two.

Also, bring back Melee's Target Test music.
Yes, that music should return. Or even SSB64's bonus stage music. Both are good. For variety, we could have both and the game randomizes between the music choices.

As for bringing back RttF, heck yes bring it back. I don't care if it's individual or not, but I suppose it'd be sweet. Target Tests should be individual as in Melee and SSB64. Board the Platforms would feel kind of redundant given both TT and RttF involve platforming to a good extent.

As for Snag the Trophies, I loved that mode, but it could probably be better implemented in the other modes, battles, TT's, and RttF's by just randomly having trophies spawn in those modes. Still, StT's stage and music were nostalgic.

In regards to normal battles in Classic Mode, they definitely should be more randomized than in Brawl, more akin to Melee's Classic Mode. A possiblity to extend the mode for longer playthroughs with more battles would be nice too. For extra minigames in longer playthroughs, just throw in Home-Run Contest or StT.

Kirbunny431

Smash Journeyman
Gee, M&SG, it was certainly a surprise to come back from vacation to find my thread stickied! :bee:

Individual Target Test and Race to the Finish should come back. Not sure about Board the platforms, it would feel redundant next to the other two.

Also, bring back Melee's Target Test music.
I see your point, but I still want BtP to return. For the sake of nostalgia, and the fact that it means more content for us!

Also, yes. That music needs to come back.

Yes, that music should return. Or even SSB64's bonus stage music. Both are good. For variety, we could have both and the game randomizes between the music choices.

As for bringing back RttF, heck yes bring it back. I don't care if it's individual or not, but I suppose it'd be sweet. Target Tests should be individual as in Melee and SSB64. Board the Platforms would feel kind of redundant given both TT and RttF involve platforming to a good extent.

As for Snag the Trophies, I loved that mode, but it could probably be better implemented in the other modes, battles, TT's, and RttF's by just randomly having trophies spawn in those modes. Still, StT's stage and music were nostalgic.

In regards to normal battles in Classic Mode, they definitely should be more randomized than in Brawl, more akin to Melee's Classic Mode. A possiblity to extend the mode for longer playthroughs with more battles would be nice too. For extra minigames in longer playthroughs, just throw in Home-Run Contest or StT.
I'm all for a more randomized Classic mode. Also, integrating StT into the other modes would be a bit like in Brawl when you sometimes see trophies lying around, only more widespread. But while StT's simple purpose can be accomplished in a variety of ways, I'd still be a very happy camper if the minigame came back.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
SSB64s' is good, but I think Melees' is tons better. It's just more exciting and upbeat. I just don't like the 64 music very much.

And I would be fine with BtP coming back, even if it might feel redundant. Hopefully the team will have enough time to make individual courses for each characters.

Ooh! Ooh! Back to the music thing: what if we had different remixes of the minigame theme for each mode(i.e. one for BtT, one for BtP, and another for RttF).

Kirbunny431

Smash Journeyman
I wouldn't mind having a My Music option for the bonus stages, to cycle through various bonus songs (from 64, Melee, Brawl, and 4).

Remixes would be cool. I don't know much about music or musical terms, so I can't offer any ideas. But I would assume RttF's version would be pretty fast-paced, and StT's would be a very calm and relaxing mix.

Hypercat-Z

Smash Lord
Honestly I think individual bonus stages are a memory hog. Few cleverly designed bonus stage being playable by every char in the game are a better solution.
Plus, what about turning the home run contest into a bonus stage?

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
Honestly I think individual bonus stages are a memory hog. Few cleverly designed bonus stage being playable by every char in the game are a better solution.
Plus, what about turning the home run contest into a bonus stage?
Bonus stages don't take up nearly as much space as music files. Standardized bonus stages ala Brawl are boring and repetitive to play through.

Kink-Link5

Smash Hero
Bonus stages don't take up nearly as much space as music files. Standardized bonus stages ala Brawl are boring and repetitive to play through.
This is right on the money. .brstms take up a huge partition of Brawl's disc.

All this talk about stages and trophies taking too much space and time is really quite funny. Honestly a single days hard work is enough to make several basic models, and textures take a matter of a few hours at most to make. Hard coding is far and away the largest time consuming part of developing a game, followed by main graphics engine pieces and character movesets.

SubparSmashBrother

Smash Ace
This is right on the money. .brstms take up a huge partition of Brawl's disc.

All this talk about stages and trophies taking too much space and time is really quite funny. Honestly a single days hard work is enough to make several basic models, and textures take a matter of a few hours at most to make. Hard coding is far and away the largest time consuming part of developing a game, followed by main graphics engine pieces and character movesets.
HOW DO YOU KNOW THIS? WHERE IS YOUR PROOF?

you're going to be so disappointed...

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
HOW DO YOU KNOW THIS? WHERE IS YOUR PROOF?

you're going to be so disappointed...
As for the music thing...
The music files are several MB apiece - most character files are a few hunderd KB. Stages can range from a few hundred KB to a few MB. Nes games are about 8 MB apiece, so not much bigger than most music files. The Ocarina of time partition is over 50 MB.

EDIT:
Largest music file: 8 MB
Largest Stage: 4 MB

Character directory: 662 MB
VS Stage directory: 147 MB
Adventure Stage Directory: 504 MB
Music directory: 1 GB

Metal Overlord

Smash Hero
I want a claw machine mini game that u can win trophies & other collectibles out of.

And all other previous mini games.

This is actually a pretty good idea, reminds me of WarioWare for some reason

JAAAAAAVAAAAAA

Nice to see you, my fellow Smash music lover! Having badass ideas as usual :cool:

Although when it comes to Snag the Trophies, I remember Oasis having an idea where the platform to knock the trophies in would be mobile this time and there would also be multiple trophies instead of just 3 of them

JavaCroc

Smash Ace
JAAAAAAVAAAAAA

Nice to see you, my fellow Smash music lover! Having badass ideas as usual :cool:

Although when it comes to Snag the Trophies, I remember Oasis having an idea where the platform to knock the trophies in would be mobile this time and there would also be multiple trophies instead of just 3 of them
Awesome to see you too, Overlord. Missed you. :)

That Oasis idea is unique. Sounds like a cool way to revive Snag the Trophies. Maybe it could, as well as any other minigames we've suggested/discussed here (Board the Platforms, Target Test) be integrated into Adventure Mode as special, hidden bonus areas you can discover in levels for an additional prize like a trophy.

Hypercat-Z

Smash Lord
How about a Duck Hunt bonus stage?
Ducks comes from left or right at various height and uncostant rate, but advising with a quack one second before like in the Target Test of Wii Play. But instead of the gun this time you have to hit them with your character. Oh! And some ducks are carring trophies on their back.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
I had an idea recently : what if we had Target Tests for each character, but each one had multiple difficulty levels? Like, say on the easiest level, you're under no time restrictions, but on harder one there's a time limit? Or something similar.

Kirbunny431

Smash Journeyman
Oh look, it came back. I thought it was gone for good. Neat!

I had an idea recently : what if we had Target Tests for each character, but each one had multiple difficulty levels? Like, say on the easiest level, you're under no time restrictions, but on harder one there's a time limit? Or something similar.
That could work. I wouldn't mind something like that.
Although I'm opposed to there being more than one individual Target Test per character. That'd be way too much otherwise.

Propeller Toad

Smash Journeyman
Oh look, it came back. I thought it was gone for good. Neat!

That could work. I wouldn't mind something like that.
Although I'm opposed to there being more than one individual Target Test per character. That'd be way too much otherwise.
Agreed as it would be best to at least see unique Target Test stages implemented for each character once again. However, if they were able to add slight variations of it for an extra or two levels of each character's Target Test stage, then I wouldn't mind this at all.

Personally I loved the individual Target Test stages from Melee and SSB64 as it allowed players to get used to the different characters and their varying gameplay styles + movesets. I still remember the stages for characters such as the Ice Climbers in Melee (the retro IC style Target Test level was such a nice throwback).

Also I'd love to see Snag the Trophies and Race to the Finish return. I personally thought that the Classic Mode in Brawl was a little less unique than that from the previous games as it had very little to offer other than battling different varieties of characters.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
I hope, in addition to bringing back the Melee target test music, they bring back the ability to switch to an individual characters leitmotif like you could in Melee. I'm not sure if you could do that in Brawl or not, but I think it's a pretty neat feature.

Kirbunny431

Smash Journeyman
Agreed as it would be best to at least see unique Target Test stages implemented for each character once again. However, if they were able to add slight variations of it for an extra or two levels of each character's Target Test stage, then I wouldn't mind this at all.

Personally I loved the individual Target Test stages from Melee and SSB64 as it allowed players to get used to the different characters and their varying gameplay styles + movesets. I still remember the stages for characters such as the Ice Climbers in Melee (the retro IC style Target Test level was such a nice throwback).

Also I'd love to see Snag the Trophies and Race to the Finish return. I personally thought that the Classic Mode in Brawl was a little less unique than that from the previous games as it had very little to offer other than battling different varieties of characters.
Indeed. I'd like to see more throwback Target Tests like the Ice Climbers one.

Yeah, Brawl's Classic Mode was rather dull. (Although that's not just because of the lack of unique minigames.) Either way, SSB4 certainly needs to bring back the unique side-stages.

I hope, in addition to bringing back the Melee target test music, they bring back the ability to switch to an individual characters leitmotif like you could in Melee. I'm not sure if you could do that in Brawl or not, but I think it's a pretty neat feature.
Wait, WHAT? In all my years of owning SSBM, I never knew that was possible.

Top Bottom