• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Claus/ness true mainers?

foxsmasher

Smash Cadet
Are there still(TRUE!) claus and ness players that are attending tourneys despite the fact that they will more than likely face a falco, D3, or marth player? I just started picking up claus(lucas) and really love his moveset but i've kinda been discouraged on the fact that not many people want to use them because of their place on the early "tier"list and how they simply cannot DI out of a CG. So just wanted to know if you guys are hanging in there with claus.

Thand

Smash Cadet
I'm sticking with Lucas forever. I've only been to one tourney so far, and I don't think I did too badly considering I was fresh meat (25th out of 83). One of the matches I won was against a Marth who was fully aware of his CG advantage... luckily, when he wasn't CGing me, he was too busy sucking.

Brinzy

Godfather of the Crimean Mafia
NNID
Brinzy
At this moment, I'm still with Lucas... but I have yet to go to a tournament because there aren't any available in the immediate area and I have better things to do during the day than to travel to a tournament. I'm not belittling tournaments themselves... but it's just that I can't ever get to them. Online tournaments aren't my thing either...

Anyway, so far, yes, I am. If I get Zelda to a better playing level however...

foxsmasher

Smash Cadet
Ah ok nice Thand that's what i want to hear lol i really want to main lucas and show even if he does get CG, he'll still win.

foxsmasher

Smash Cadet
Yes yes we definitely need to help lucas move up the char. ranking list. Once i become a little more stronger with claus then i'll go to a tourney and most likely place.

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
Of course I am.
The Deathgrab is overrated anyaways 1.3 characters for Ness and one for Lucas -_-

Krnxmatt7

Smash Cadet
NNID
bigkongboss
I place right in the semi-finals in a tournament with Lucas...until I faced a bannana montage from Diddy T_T

Tyr_03

Smash Champion
I don't have the time or energy for tournaments but I go to Cincinnati Weeklies every week and beat a lot of the "high tier" characters played by some really good players. Lucas can definetly handle characters like Wolf, Marth, Dedede, Ike, Metaknight, ICs, Ness, Falco, Snake, ROB etc. who place much higher than him in tournament results. All it takes is intelligent playing. Oddly enough, one of my toughest matchups is Toon Link. Go figure.

I never play any other character than Lucas. You'd be amazed how many people have no idea how to deal with him. Comments like "Wow I can't believe I just got beaten by Lucas" are frequent and oh so sweet.

Phelix08

Smash Apprentice
I don't see the chaingrab ruining lucas as a competitive player... Heck, even fox in melee could be chaingrabbed, and we all know how well he did. I know it's a serious disadvantage, but it's against a very small portion of the characters, and even so, you can always just have a secondary to handle those matchups.

Just think of it as a challenge, not a problem :p.

Plus, with any luck, someone will figure out how to break out. The community as a whole seems pretty freaked out about it. I'm sure sakurai didn't leave us with no escape (see sig :D)

GimmeAnFSharp

Smash Journeyman
They're my best two characters as far as technique is concerned; like anyone else, I can pull out a nasty MK and gimp/stagespike people at 40%, but I've invested a good amount of time in Lucas/Ness to say that my techniques with them are the most refined.

It's probably saying something that I can do boss battles on intense MUCH easier with the Mother boys rather than MK.
You'd be amazed how many people have no idea how to deal with him. Comments like "Wow I can't believe I just got beaten by Lucas" are frequent and oh so sweet.
No, no I wouldn't. :)

TechnoMonster

Smash Ace
I run into problems with the people I play against regularly, and people that have picked up/mained Lucas, because they know whats up.

I find Lucas to be a great answer to Wolf and DeDeDe.

Marceux

Smash Journeyman
I play Lucas against everyone except Snake, Marth, and G&W.

Avoid G&W at all costs. That bucket and turtle are pure poison.

Irsic

Smash Ace
Man, I can't wait to get to a tournament. Though, I bet I'll suck since I only really play online, and adjusting from button lag and lag period to no lag at all will probably be a bit of a shock to me.

Oh well. I think I could just some stuff with Lucas. I think he's an amazing character.

foxsmasher

Smash Cadet
Yes indeed. He is has a lot of potential to move up in tourney rankings. We just need a few lucas players to make that happen. I myself will be one hopefully.

barbehque

Smash Rookie
first of all, new here, hi.

so lucas was the first character i picked when i got the game so i guess i kinda just learned about the game with him. he's my main through and through. with game and watch mixed in once in a while, and ness occasionally. i'll be going to a two on two tourny on monday and plan in using him with my friend who'll be using DeDeDe. we're confident in our ability, we'll see how it goes

fear17

Smash Apprentice
yeah im sticking with lucas no matter what chain grabbing or what ever well eventually find out some minds games or techniques to win and hopefully i want to be a lucas who wins a tournament

Pai

Smash Cadet
NNID
Paestries
3DS FC
2036-7921-7608
Of course D: I wouldn't give up my Claus (Love that outfit <3) just because of chain grabbers.
That said, I still haven't been to a tourny, but I consider myself a good player. Only time and real experience will tell for sure though :3

barbehque

Smash Rookie
If team attack is on see if your friend can adjust and play as lucas, ness, or G&W. Any of those three with one of the other two is pure win.

can you go into detail about that?

i'm interested in how you figure.. besides the building up g&w's bucket, or restoring the boys' health

Masque

Keeper of the Keys
I play Claus as a means of making up for the fact that my beloved Masked Man is technically not playable--the alternate costume is my best bet. I was eager to play as him, and he certainly didn't disappoint. Claus is my new main, and will be until SSB4; hopefully then Masked Man will officially be playable and I will have a new main at that point.

Mains: Claus (Lucas Alt. Costume), Peach, Pit, PT

Dxt XXII

Smash Journeyman
In my first tourny I saw a lucas go really far. Then I thought lucas was cool and began to use him. Now today I have my first tournies as lucas (one singles, one doubles with kirby). Lucas can win, and I want to see it happen.:)

Top Bottom