• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Clean up time

Capt. Olimar

Smash Cadet
Alright, just because I'm not playing competitively anymore doesn't mean we should let this place get trashed. It kinda got turned upside recently, but it's about time we returned things to how they were, and how they should be. So this thread will be used to discuss what directions we can take and ideas for threads that can help our community.

I'm going to fix our stickies and bring back threads that will give us topics of discussion. Quite a few threads will need new management, but some perhaps need to just take a different path on how they're handled. What I feel is something we shouldn't do so much is specifically set the topic in stone. For example, whenever we've had a stage thread, we've put a stage in place and focused discussion on it. And while this is good, and gets us the information we're talking about, this is not how I feel the Olimar board works best. Instead, let's say the thread was just a basic stage discussion thread. A thread where people can give their opinion on stages, where people can ask questions on what stages they should be using or what stage they should take a character to or should ban. I really feel this gets a lot more done, letting the thread and topic run its course.

Similar paths could be taken for threads like Tournament Results. Who really checks the OP of tournament results? What is it being updated for? Most of what's done in the tournament results section is "hey guys I got _____ at this tournament and beat these guys!", "aww yeah, good ****". And I really think that that's what the thread should be for. A place to talk about tournaments. A variation of a social thread, but on a specific topic. While social threads are great, this is a board that's frequented often by Olimars that do go to tournaments often, or want to talk about tournaments or something related to them. And that's definitely something that deserves a thread for discussion. So using one of these instead of, or in combination with, what was a tournament results thread, I think would be great.

The video thread is another one that's a bit unorganized, mostly because of Noa's disappearance. I normally would say "anyone wanna take over it?" but that line's been said too many times already. Similar to tournament listings, I think it serves its purpose better just being a "hey guys, got some new videos up" and "can someone critique this match?" thread. Really think that a different direction needs to be taken on a lot of threads in general and the Olimar board can become more beneficial to the community and expand.

HaiWayne

Smash Cadet
"For example, whenever we've had a stage thread, we've put a stage in place and focused discussion on it. And while this is good, and gets us the information we're talking about, this is not how I feel the Olimar board works best."

I disagree, if there is only one single thread for discussion of ALL stages, what if someone want to find information on a specific stage? he would have to look through ALL the posts in the stage thread to get some (if any at all) information that he wanted. But if there are threads for just specific stages, someone could get the information they want much faster. Same thing with match-up threads. We have threads for specific match ups, which I find more useful than a thread for discussion all matchups

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
We've tried a thread like that twice, and discussion doesn't happen the way it should. That would be a good thing to have and do, but that's not the way the Olimar boards work. Here's the old stage discussion thread, in case you haven't seen it. And while we did get a good amount done, discussion was mostly the same few people talking. I feel that if we left the thread open for discussion of any topic, instead of making it as if the thread's purpose is for talking about whatever the topic of thread is, the thread would be more of an active place of discussion and that is what the Olimar boards need right now. We don't need the type of thread you suggested, the type of thread we've tried to lead. We need activity, discussion, expansion. Then we can work on what's next. But not right now or any time in the near future, in my opinion.

Edit: And for that matter, I don't think we have someone that can manage it when we have so many other threads we need managed more so. We need a stable community before we try anything like that.

Blissard

Smash Lord
1) The OP wasn't in DarkOrange :c

2) With the tournament listings and stage discussion threads, I think it's meant more for visitors. For example, if I wanted to see how Bowsers were doing, a cluster of sporadic posts about tournament results wouldn't be very convenient. So, unless the discussion is eventually summarized into the OP, it'll be hard to reference back for help. I see other boards with seperate Video Library and Video Critique threads, which I rather like.

3) I'd be willing to help with threads as an organizer or summarizer of the information, but I can't offer any valuable input for threads myself (especially those such as Video Critique).

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
Are we a board that caters to visitors or are we a board that caters to our community? We've tried to be a board that has things set up for visitors and that has 1) not gotten anything done and 2) died. We can have things set up after we get a community built that we know can handle it, as I said earlier. It's not what's important right now, contrary to popular belief. Until then, we need threads for discussion. That's what's important right now. Building our community and discussion. Not turning our board into a library. We can worry about that another day.

Edit: Look at our board. Look at its activity, its community. Do you really think that having threads that are organized for informational purposes will help fix the problem of our community dying more so than threads geared towards discussion? Because I in no way do.

Jane

Smash Hero
i agree with everything, hilt.

are you going to make new threads for said discussion, or should we just go ahead and use the current tourney and video threads for that official "discussion"?

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
On that topic, I like the idea of using Capt. Olimar to manage our threads, giving the password to select members (don't ask, we'll choose you, haha). This will make it easier to manage threads. I don't know if all important threads will be run by the thread, it'll depend on what others think. For those that don't know about him, Capt. Olimar is an account that can only post in the Olimar boards that was made for just this purpose. How we make use of the account is also something we should discuss in this thread.

Edit: I'm not sure yet, Jane. Starting over may not be a bad idea for at least the tournament discussion thread, since our current thread of that nature is completely geared towards listing results. For threads like these, that don't need an OP specifically managed, I think starting a new thread under Capt. Olimar's control would work, since they don't necessarily need to be managed by anyone. Basically, we just need to remodel the place.

Jane

Smash Hero
i think it makes a lot of sense. that way no one person i stuck with a thread. it will be easily adjustable as far as thread manager goes.

so that would mean brand new threads? :O :yeahboi:

BSL

B-B-B-BLAMM!!!
NNID
bsl883
3DS FC
3308-4560-2744
On that topic, I like the idea of using Capt. Olimar to manage our threads, giving the password to select members (don't ask, we'll choose you, haha). This will make it easier to manage threads. I don't know if all important threads will be run by the thread, it'll depend on what others think. For those that don't know about him, Capt. Olimar is an account that can only post in the Olimar boards that was made for just this purpose. How we make use of the account is also something we should discuss in this thread.

Edit: I'm not sure yet, Jane. Starting over may not be a bad idea for at least the tournament discussion thread, since our current thread of that nature is completely geared towards listing results. For threads like these, that don't need an OP specifically managed, I think starting a new thread under Capt. Olimar's control would work, since they don't necessarily need to be managed by anyone. Basically, we just need to remodel the place.
:rotfl: :yeahboi:

-Vocal-

Smash Hero
I'll update the video thread :( Sorry I haven't in so long; on two different occasions I had finished updates and then when i submitted them SWF said something about "you have logged in since you started" and wouldn't post them AND erased my progress, which kinda discouraged me. I promise I'll get it done before Wednesday night

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
You don't need to apologize, Vocal. I'm trying to make it so that there's less of a sense of responsibility. The old video thread served more of a purpose of sharing videos that were and a place for people to ask for critique, which I feel is what's important in a video thread for the community. Also, if we make the thread with Capt. Olimar, you can still be the main person to update it, or rather, set how the format and everything will be done, while others can pick up your slack if you're busy.

-Vocal-

Smash Hero
You don't need to apologize, Vocal. I'm trying to make it so that there's less of a sense of responsibility. The old video thread served more of a purpose of sharing videos that were and a place for people to ask for critique, which I feel is what's important in a video thread for the community. Also, if we make the thread with Capt. Olimar, you can still be the main person to update it, or rather, set how the format and everything will be done, while others can pick up your slack if you're busy.
Yay ^_^ My fancy formatting shall not be wasted!

Sky Pirate

The best defense is a lot of frigging healing
NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
Ideas:
1 - General Gimmick Thread - Describe little things we can do in different match-ups (like Utilting Falco out of SideB) and things that other people can do to us (Jab/laser locks, G&W's UpB stagespike, etc.)

2 - General Research Thread - Point out the tools and definitions needed to test things and amass data gathered into a single thread.
It'd be nice if people would get curious about certain things and want to test them themselves rather than waiting for someone else to do it.

3 - I loved the idea of the thread that gathers threads with good information together in a single place.
Maybe we could translate it to the board itself.

Honestly, I think we just need a General Social, Stage Social, Match-up Discussion, Video Thread, Research Thread, Q&A/Directory (could put idea 3 in the second and third posts of this thread), and Tourney Results/Discussion as stickies, all managed by Capt. Olimar (excluding the General Social).
As we could have multiple people able to update everything as they see it, it might be wise to set formats to use for each.
I'm a little nervous that the wrong person might get Capt. Olimar's password (or may already have it) and decide to ruin the OPs, so perhaps storing backups occasionally over certain other posts would help prevent that.
We should set a date for wiping everything clean and redoing it.
Also, I loved Vocal's pretty video thread. ^_^

EDIT: Once something is tested and proven to be true, it's TRUE. The game code doesn't magically change, so the main problem we would have with data collection would be inaccuracies in the original author's data.
Take that however you want to.

Dnyce

Smash Master
I have a lot of free time this weekend, and plenty of drugs... so I'll probably start writing again. Somewhat inspired to get shiz down for some reason

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
Ideas:
1 - General Gimmick Thread - Describe little things we can do in different match-ups (like Utilting Falco out of SideB) and things that other people can do to us (Jab/laser locks, G&W's UpB stagespike, etc.)
I could see this going places. If anything, it would give us plenty, plenty to talk about. I misunderstood you when you first suggested the idea, but now I think this is something we should definitely do.

- General Research Thread - Point out the tools and definitions needed to test things and amass data gathered into a single thread.
Not a bad idea. This is something that probably won't be something good to focus on for awhile, though.
It'd be nice if people would get curious about certain things and want to test them themselves rather than waiting for someone else to do it.
Hahaha.

- I loved the idea of the thread that gathers threads with good information together in a single place.
Maybe we could translate it to the board itself.
I don't know if this is something that is necessary. Not now at least.

Honestly, I think we just need a General Social, Stage Social, Match-up Discussion, Video Thread, Research Thread, Q&A/Directory (could put idea 3 in the second and third posts of this thread), and Tourney Results/Discussion as stickies, all managed by Capt. Olimar (excluding the General Social).
As we could have multiple people able to update everything as they see it, it might be wise to set formats to use for each.
I'm a little nervous that the wrong person might get Capt. Olimar's password (or may already have it) and decide to ruin the OPs, so perhaps storing backups occasionally over certain other posts would help prevent that.
We should set a date for wiping everything clean and redoing it.
Also, I loved Vocal's pretty video thread. ^_^
I agree with all of the thread ideas, and think they should all get put up as soon as possible. We can decide who has direct charge of each one (for formatting purpose and general management) and get things underway.

Also, I can see everything a post has said at any point in time. So if someone ruins a post, it can be easily reverted. That said, who has access to Capt. Olimar's account is going to be a bit limited.

I say we get ready to release these threads as soon as possible.

Thread Ideas, both new and old:

Social Thread: Fine as is, we can mess around with the OP whenever we feel we should.

Q&A: Nothing to change here as well. It serves its purpose fine as a general question answerer. The OP doesn't need to be managed, really.

Guide: Deflowered will hold us. Our new guide is going to take time, but I'm going to bring life back to the creation thread to push it along a bit more. If others find the time to assist in it, that would be great.

Matchup Thread: Here's something I'm not sure about. I think the main Matchup thread should be more of a Matchup Discussion Thread, with just general talk about different matchups. How our matchup discussions and topics are managed beyond that I'm not sure about. This is something that I feel should be discussed in that thread, and not this one, as there are several directions we can take with this.

Thread Directory: Whether this is something of importance is debatable. It'll depend on how well our other threads are managed. We may not need this type of thread.

Tournament Discussion: This is something we should create as soon as possible. Like the social, its OP will not need management.

Stage Discussion: Clover, if you would like to create this thread sometime, feel free. There are several purposes it'll be able to serve, it just needs a solid burst of activity at the start. If it doesn't die at the beginning, we'll be able to keep it alive in the long run.

Video Thread: Vocal will be running this through Capt. Olimar. Everything about the thread (title, formatting, and the over all purposes it serves) can stay the same. But if it's owned by Capt. Olimar, another can be involved if Vocal is busy. However, while having videos is good, the main purposes and reasons for the thread being alive, are for it to be a thread for the Olimar Board to share videos and request critique. This thread can be created sometime sometime soon.

Once again, the main thing we need right now is activity. As long as everything isn't sloppy, we don't necessary have to make everything as organized as possible. Mediocre organization is fine, but we need activity as a community if we're going to build up our board in the long run.

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
First thread is up! Clover put up our stage thread with Capt. Olimar's account. Feel free to use it however you see fit. An idea I thought of, recently, is Taking one of Capt. Olimar's posts (probably this one) and creating a thread with it, and moving all recent posts from our video discussion thread to that one. That way the thread won't be empty upon starting, as it's one of those threads that's a bit difficult to get going from the beginning. But this'll start it off with a few posts of a kick start, and any discussion that was going on recently in the thread won't come to a halt.

Sky Pirate

NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
I wouldn't mind helping Vocal with updating the new Video thread since so many of our topics won't really need a whole lot of constant updating.

On the subject of the tournament discussion thread, who's going to make the new one?
It's not like it'll need constant updating or anything, so we'd just need someone that's mentally stable and able to make a pretty OP.

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
Just so you know, Clover, feel free to volunteer yourself for making/managing any thread you want, lol. Fino has also volunteered himself as well, and I'm fine with him taking the reigns. I sent Vocal a PM regarding Capt. Olimar's account and my idea about the video thread, so I'll wait a bit for a reply. Otherwise, I'll go ahead and put the thread up with his formatting, and just let it be managed afterwards. And yeah, like you said, the Tournament Discussion thread doesn't need a large amount of management. Just a solid OP a good pickup of discussion.

Sky Pirate

NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
Okay. I just didn't want to do every OP myself because they would all end up looking similar and boring.
Howeverrrrrrrr, I suppose I could do one or two more. :3

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
Well you'll be consulted about this one :p

Going to give Capt. Olimar ownership over the following threads:
  • Video Thread
  • Our Current Guide
  • Matchup Directory
  • Thread Directory
  • Tournament (contents will be modified sometime)
  • Q&A Thread if Zori doesn't care
  • This thread! X:
  • Creating our Guide Thread
  • Any other thread I created that I feel like giving him, lol.
  • Olimar Social

I'll do this after awhile today. Also going to give Noa the password as he was the person running the tournament thread and our Social. Sound good?

BSL

B-B-B-BLAMM!!!
NNID
bsl883
3DS FC
3308-4560-2744
yeah, i dont actually care who you give it to. i was :troll:an

Top Bottom