• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Clearing a Yellow Pikmin Misconception

The_NZA

Smash Lord
So, Sakurai's blog says that Yellow Pikmin have more range than the other pikmin (with attacks). Echos guide says this is untrue.

I played around with testing yellow pikmin, and i found out that Echo is indeed right concerning the Fsmash and Dsmash. However, Olimar's most useful Smash attack (Usmash) does indeed benefit in range with the Yellow pikmin. I did not test this up to down (when your enemy is above you), but i did test it when your opponent is next to you. What i found was, you can be farther away from your opponent and hit them with the upsmash with yellow pikmin, than with the other types of pikmin. This might be useful if your prepping an Upsmash for the kill. Just change to a yellow and enjoy.

Test. Respond. Comment. Call me stupid. etc.

The_NZA

Smash Lord
I used to play Ness in Melee (and i was pretty **** good too)
:).

TrueRedemption

Smash Journeyman
anybody confirmed? Personally have a lot of work to do now, but if its not been tested late ish tonight i'll get to it. If so its a nice detail to know, although it will only really be useful if its a somewhat noticeable increase in range. We shall see i suppose.

-True

DeuceBlade

Smash Champion
You know.... I use olimar alot and I have never really used his up smash like many suggest... I really prefer his dsmash or side smash... I should try to work it into my gameplay.

Yakt-NJ

Smash Cadet
Yellow seem to have a larger hitbox if not more range. I feel like when I use yellow pikmin my moves tend to connect and stay connected longer (specifically referring to the up air). It seems way easier to DI out of a red uair than a yellow uair, and a yellow one does just about as much damage. I haven't done any real testing with the range of yellow vs red, I usually just treat them as equals, unless the up air is concerned. If it's a bigger character, I prefer a red pikmin for the up air because it's more damage and easy to connect with all pieces of the attack. Yellow seems to work better for smaller characters who are hard to catch in the hitboxes.

snowbonez

Smash Apprentice
huh. Thanks for the tip.
well, you're making a mistake by not using the upsmash!
i suppose i was like you, not implementing the upsmash, and only using downsmash.
right now though, i bareley downsmash, and i try to upsmash all the time.
if you hit with a well placed upsmash, all your dreams will come true!!

scalpel

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-1322-7073-9341
Hm... on the contrary, my results show that Yellow Pikmin have the furthest forward-smash range out of all of the Pikmin. I've tested this so much. Yellow Pikmin, indeed, have the most range in terms of forward-smashing. Yes, the blue pikmin's animation may appear to fly further by 1 millimeter, but it doesn't actually hit the target as far as yellow pikmin.

The point is, the animation of the Pikmin does not matter nearly as much as them actually hitting the opponent. The blue pikmin has the furthest forward-smashing animation. It really does fly further than the others. However, it doesn't actually HIT as far as yellow pikmin in forward-smashes. For example, the blue pikmin actually hits further down the stem on its head, whereas the yellow pikmin hits the opponent with the very tip of its head, thus making the yellow pikmin having a further forward-smash range.

nmaster64

Smash Cadet
NNID
Nmaster64
3DS FC
4210-3983-6182
I agree, I think this is more an issue with differing hitboxes among the Pikmin then any technical "range" difference...

I've definitely noticed my yellow Pikmin attacks have a higher rate of connecting then the other colors...

scalpel

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-1322-7073-9341
I agree, I think this is more an issue with differing hitboxes among the Pikmin then any technical "range" difference...

I've definitely noticed my yellow Pikmin attacks have a higher rate of connecting then the other colors...
Hi there, nmaster64! Thanks for the confirmation. I strongly believe that Sakurai was not joking. Olimar's yellow pikmin really is an asset.

nmaster64

Smash Cadet
NNID
Nmaster64
3DS FC
4210-3983-6182
Anyone who can make some little images showing the Pikmin's hitboxes is god btw... ;)

Top Bottom