• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Clone Engine Misc. Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

y.toonlink

Smash Ace
You're crazy. The PMBR could definitely add a new character into this game, make them work, and make them complete; I mean they DESIGNED this game after all.

Also they'd be crazy not to add any new characters, why work so hard on a clone engine and stop at two characters? This is a huge potential for them to reach a larger audience.
Just remember, the pmbr cant attract too much attention to prevent appearing as competition to ssb4. The premise of p:m is to provide melee gameplay. Their editing and balancing makes it feel like a whole new game, but they cant literally make a new game because in the end, its still a brawl mod.

splat

Smash Lord

I'm sorry guys, I couldn't resist. I know I've said before that I'd be fine with just Mewtwo and Roy (and I really am), but the hype has just gotten the best of me. Also, I made it into a roster layout for fun. I am aware I messed up on the locations of Fox and Falco.

As for my picks, let's start with the obvious two: Roy (who is confirmed to join PM) and Mewtwo (whose agreed upon by the entire thread).
Then there's also Pichu, who is also a regular mention in this thread - somewhat of a joke character, high-risk but high-reward, I'm curious what the PMBR could do with Pichu. I was kind of iffy about putting him on there - we have a lot of Pokemon already, and it's not like we'd miss Pichu had he never been in Melee. Then again, the second part could be said for Roy as well, so I just slapped him in there.
Lyn actually stems from a rumour that started on the Reddit page, I think. I don't care much for Fire Emblem, but the description the 'leaker' gave actually sounded pretty good; got me hyped a bit.
Isaac would be awesome, he could really bring something to the table that we haven't seen in PM yet. The effects needed for him to work fluently could be too much of an effort though, where other options may probe to be better.
Slippy I put on there because I can't help but feel Fox and Falco are the two defining characters of Melee. I'd like to see the PMBR built a semi-clone of them from the ground up, and see how it turns out.
Last is Claus, or the Masked Man. I don't know why, I just love his character design (and Pik's render thereof).
EDIT: After I posted this, I realized that there's no Masked Man reference in Brawl. There's a Claus outfit for Lucas, a Claus sticker and a reference to Claus in Lucas' trophy description, but no Masked Man. Serious bummer.

I tried picking some characters that would be swell to see, but not the biggest hype generators for Smash 4 to stay away from the ever-threatening C&D.

Anti Guy

Couch Tomato
BRoomer
NNID
CouchTomato87
Alright so I just wanted to make a comprehensive list of characters that could possibly be in contention for the coveted clone spots. I'm trying to keep everything all in one place and filter out the ones that won't even cross the PMBR's mind... Some things to keep in mind:

1. Roy, and any quality character would take at least 700 hours to make, especially because of animations. That's why clonses/partial clones are the most appealing. Despite a lot of people's distaste for clones, this seems to be huge pro for any character to be in P:M
2. P:M is not an official Smash. So it's possible that characters that would not be possible for SSB Wii/3DS might just be possible because of fan support and maybe the cloneability. Geno, for an example, was for whatever reasons a popular fan character (although I personally do not care for him at all) back in the Brawl days.
3. Adding a new character with the clone engine takes a ton of work, so they better be well worth the effort. For that reason, I won't even mention obscure characters that have no big reason to join the cast, or characters that have more deserving spots in their series (i.e. any random ass Sonic character that's not Tails, Knuckles, or even Shadow)
4. This is a Nintendo game, so third party characters shouldn't be getting that much attention regardless (i.e. no need to have 3 Sonic characters). Also copyright/C&D issues.
5. I'll frequently reference a character's odds of making it into Wii/3DS, because character that will probably make it (like Little Mac) should be avoided for C&D reasons. If I don't mention it, then the odds are right between "likely" and "unlikely." I also reference if a character has been in Brawl in some form or another (sticker, trophy, etc), also for C&D reasons.

There are 7 clone slots. I doubt all of them will be used. So with that said, I'll be summarizing up some of the characters that have been mentioned by at least more than one person and grading how good of a candidate they are for the P:M team. I'll look at three categories and giving them three grades (A-C):

Value - how much value do they have as a character, as a mascot, as an iconic character of their series, etc... basically how much they deserve to be in Smash
A: Iconic character or brings a lot to the table
B: Fairly important character... or an iconic character, but in a saturated series (Pokemon, Mario).. or has some other minor flaw
C: Not very important

Effort - how much work would it take to make this character? I'm just giving an estimate here...
A: As easy as can get. Pretty much a clone, or very simple animations. Having an established moveset helps too.
B: Will take some work and creativity. Significant animation work
C: Need to develop from scratch and take a ton of time. Is this even worth it??

So here's the list...

Pichu (Pokemon)
Value - C
Effort - A

The only other clone. I highly doubt Pichu, like Dr. Mario, will make it in, since he is extremely unpopular. He's also in a super-saturated series (especially after adding Mewtwo). The mindset I would think PMBR is: "What will everyone's reaction be if we announce Pichu? 'Oh, great, Pichu -- the last clone I wanted,' would be the majority, and we just spent 700 goddamn hours making this furball." He'll probably be a special alternate costume if anything, like Dr. Mario has been recently revealed to be.

Black Shadow (F-Zero) and Ganondorf (Legend of Zelda)
A two-in-one package where the current Falcon-clone Ganondorf will be reskinned to his archnemesis Black Shadow, and the clone slot will be used to recreate Ganondorf using available models

Value - A - Many people have wanted a true-to-Ganondorf Ganondorf, and while not as many, people have also asked for more F-Zero representation.
Effort - B - Ganondorf will need all new animations and projectiles.

Black Shadow - Black Shadow is Captain Falcon's archnemesis, first appearing in F-Zero X. F-Zero is actually a pretty sizeable franchise, with at least 5 games, more than Star Fox (3 characters) and Mother (2 characters), yet it only has 1 character. If it were to have another, there are 3 main candidates: Samurai Goroh (Falcon's rival from the very first game), Blood Falcon (his clone), and Black Shadow. Samurai Goroh, while already an assist trophy, would require a lot of work. Blood Falcon is already a costume for Falcon, and he doesn't add much. Black Shadow, on the other hand, fits the villain role, and due to his dark and evil character, perfectly fits the playstyle of the current Ganondorf, down to the shadow side-effects. And of course, he's significant in the story.

Ganondorf - Many people, including me, have been disappointed at Ganondorf being a clone of Captain Falcon because that is not how his character works in the Zelda games. While Captain Falcon has never been seen outside his car (allowing the developers to be creative with his moveset), Ganondorf HAS. He's either using magic (OoT) or swords (WW, TP) when fighting Link. A lot of people don't want to see another sword-user, so his sword could be restricted to a few of his moves. One idea that have been thrown around is his signature electric attack from OoT (neutral B - chargeable like in the game). Like Zelda, the rest of his moves can be creative. Perhaps a down B could be a chargeable attack where he raises his fist in front of his face, charges, and then releases a blast from the the Triforce of Power, knocking everyone in a radius back.

In general, the most opposition to this idea are players who like Ganondorf just the way he is and can't see him in any other form (despite him being much different in his actual games)

Pros
-Relatively easy to implement - part of it is just a texture reskinning, the other part is using a fully established model and giving it a new moveset and animations.
-Can rectify one of the most complained about clone implementations
-Gives F-Zero a much needed character

Cons
-Some resistance to changing Ganondorf
-Will have to create moveset from scratch. He has some established moves though.

Lyn (Fire Emblem)
A popular FE lord, female character, and assist trophy

Value - B - Another sword user in a saturated series (Fire Emblem). However, fairly popular, and is one of the top candidates if FE were to get another character, if not the top choice
Effort - C - Will need new animations.

Background - While not the main character of the US's first Fire Emblem game (that goes to Eliwood), Lyn is the first lord you get to play, and she's pretty damn popular. She also has a unique sword-style that can make her different than all the sword users. Also a bow user, so we might be able to vary her moveset up a bit. See Chrono's post for an example moveset. While I can say with absolute certainty she won't make it in SSB Wii/3DS, her popularity with fans here make her a candidate for a P:M slot (and actually, not being in Wii/3DS is a bonus because we won't have to deal with copyright issues).

Pros
-One of the most popular FE lords
-Unique sword style differentiates her from other FE lords
-Female - diversity FTW
-Assist trophy
-Will almost definitely not be in Wii/3DS

Cons
-Will require quite of bit of work, including custom sound effects.
-Moveset must be designed from scratch.
-Already have 3 Fire Emblem characters, and one of the clone spots goes to a FE character already
-While popular among FE characters, is she very popular overall?

Hector (Fire Emblem)
Can't mention Lyn without mentioning her axe-wielding comrade lord from the same game

Value - C - Lyn is generally more popular. Eliwood is the main character, Lyn is the first lord, but Hector (while being the third lord) is probably the third main character and requires his mode to be unlocked. While still extremely important in his own game, in the broad scope of Smash Bros and all that is Nintendo, he's not that important.
Effort - C - From scratch, completely.

The third lord of Fire Emblem (the Sealed Sword). You don't actually get to play his storyline you unlock his mode after beating the game. There are two main reasons people want him: 1) "He has an axe!" (making him different than other characters) and 2) "He's my favorite lord!" (I'm not kidding). They are actually quite legit, but compared to the other applications here, they kind of pale in comparison. He doesn't have an assist trophy, and his moveset would be have to be even more built up from nothing. His main competition is Lyn, and that's a tough one to beat.

Pros
-Most popular after Lyn, I believe
-The AXE
-Will almost definitely not be in Wii/3DS

Cons
-Inferior to Lyn in terms of iconic weight/importance and possibly popularity
-Not very popular outside of Fire Emblem
-Will require a lot of work.
-Already 3 Fire Emblem characters, and one of the clone engine spots goes to a FE character already
-Moveset must be designed from scratch.

Sukapon/Skapon (Joy Mech Fight)
The pink robot from Nintendo's first fighting game

Value - A - One of the Nintendo's few games to be represented in Smash, and it also happens to be Nintendo's first fighting game. Has a lot of game-introducing power to those unfamiliar with the game, similar to Ness, Marth/Roy, Ice Climbers, and Game & Watch.
Effort - C - Easy model, but difficult unique animations and skeletal structure (updated from Silentd00m and cmart)

Background - Joy Mech Fight was Nintendo's first fighting game... but unfortunately it was one of those games that A) never made it to the US and B) came at the end of a console's lifespan (often a death sentence). The game itself played like Street Fighter II controls-wise, and all the robots had no joints, allowing it to be smooth even on the NES. Its storyline was a super ripoff from Mega Man, with an evil scientist making robots go crazy, and the good doc brings a non-combat robot, Skapon (whose main job is to entertain as a comedian) to fight and save the day. But given that the PMBR won't add Mega Man for copyright reasons, the ripoff is almost poetic if Skapon is added in lieu of Mega Man's absence. One of the biggest drawbacks is that I feel he might actually be a very likely candidate for SSB Wii/3DS as one of Sakurai's obligatory "surprise!!--who the hell are you!?" characters (Ness, Mr. G&W, ROB), which might potentially cause issues down the line if the work is already said and done. But that's very speculative at this point.

Pros
-Untouched franchise that can pay homage to Nintendo's first fighting game and also has the ability to expose players (like how many of us learned about Earthbound, Ice Climbers, Fire Emblem, Game & Watch, and more)
-Existing moveset from his original game to base moves off of
-Fitting Mega Man "replacement" (in spirit)
-Easy sounds to make
-Sticker in Brawl (makes him eligible, for copyright issues)

Cons

-Difficult animations
-Not very popular, but unlike other candidates (*cough*Waluigi*cough*), is not actually hated either... more just not very well known, which is also a pro (see above)
-Fairly good possibility of being in Smash Bros Wii/3DS

-Joy Mech Fight is relatively obscure, so it's not like he's representing a popular franchise

Waluigi (Mario Bros / Wario?)
WAAAHHH!! When will he appear in anything OTHER than a party game!?

Value - C - Never the main character of any game, the main villain of any game, or even a major supporting character of any game... but WAAAHH!!
Effort - B or A -- depending on if using PSA's developed outside of the PMBR (of course modifying it to fit in P:M's standards) is an option. Either way, he's also an assist trophy, and many of his animations can be easily based off the Mario Bros.

Background - I don't think I need to say much about Waluigi. Everyone knows who he is. He's easily one of the most divisive characters for speculation, and for what it's worth, that's a big con. It's not to the PMBR's benefit to spend a lot of time working on a character that at most half of the community would enjoy. HOWEVER, Waluigi has been getting a lot of work done outside of the PMBR, by Marioking64 (see his videos) and KingJigglypuff As one of the few characters to get such a well-executed PSA, and considering that all 7 slots probably won't be used, if the PMBR can use their work and port it to P:M standards, it could be a really quick job (again, assuming this is possible). Even I (who thinks Waluigi shouldn't be in) would have no complaints.

Pros
-Has one of the most developed PSA's out there -- Check this out!
-If the PSA is really well-developed, PMBR can hopefully use most of the work (obviously to MarioKing64DS/KingJigglpuff's credit) and do some changes to put him in P:M with relatively little work compared to other characters.
-Adds a little completion to the roster to give Wario a counterpart
-Already an assist trophy
-Very high chance of not making it into Wii/3DS

Cons
-Very divisive character
-Does not have any major role in the Mario games to earn him a spot
-Assist trophy
-Will almost certainly not be in Wii/3DS

Andy (Advance Wars)
"Advance Wars character" was mentioned, but it can't be anyone other than Andy.

Value - A - Most recurrent protagonist of an unrepresented major series
Effort - B - If implemented as a Snake clone, the main work would be his model.

Background - Advance Wars is probably the biggest franchise without representation in Smash Bros. And Andy is the only main character to appear more than once (sorry Jake and Will). The idea has been brought up that he can use Snake's moveset. I'd imagine him being much weaker but faster, so he could be a clone, but quite different. Of course, i'd like him to be able to use his wrench too!

Pros
-Would represent the largest franchise that isn't represented in Smash Bros
-Can be a Snake clone

Cons
-Would need a lot of model work
-Would need custom sound effects

Ridley (Metroid)
But he's too big!

Value - A - Fits the villain role for the Metroid series, which isn't oversaturated either.
Effort - A/B - Has a model in game... but he's gonna be a lot smaller. There's quite a bit of custom PSA work which can be used as a base, at least.

Background - First of all, the size argument is pretty BS. Captain Olimar and Bowser already show that. Ridley has been shown to be only slightly larger than Samus at times, so shrinking him is fine. Anyways, I mentioned polished PSAs for Waluigi above, but Ridley would be the other big one. That can help a lot when it comes to work needed to implement him.

Pros
-Incredibly strong fit, already in Brawl
-Extremely popular, not as controversial as Waluigi
-Extensive PSA work done already

Cons
-Some people still think he's too big.
-If PSA's won't be used for any kind of help, then this would be quite a big project.

Dark Samus (Metroid)
The other big Metroid villain

Value - A - Probably most significant character in the franchise after Samus and Ridley, being the main antagonist of the Metroid Prime series.
Effort - A - Very clone-like. Many animations can be reused. Also some PSA work done that can be used as an example.

Background - If Ridley doesn't get in, then Dark Samus is an excellent alternative for franchise villain. While she isn't in most of the games like Ridley, she was at least the main protagonist for the largely successful Metroid Prime series (and unlike many other characters that have been suggested, she lasts through multiple games). She can share many animations with Samus, but also has her own unique moves. I imagine she'd be a very fast character (in contrast to Samus' slower playstyle), considering how she zips everywhere when you fight against her. Some animation changes can include making her move like Mewtwo (floating), as well as rolling like Mewtwo (disappearing and reappearing). Likewise, her projectiles would probably be weak scattershot Phazon attacks, in contrast to Samus' heavy-hitting ones.

Pros
-Super cloneable. Very easy to make a faster version of Samus
-Strong presence in the franchise
-Battles from her game can provide inspiration her a few unique moves and animations
-Probably would not have issues with sound clips either
-Popular choice

Cons
-Inferior choice to Ridley (but much more doable)

Isaac (Golden Sun)
"..."

Value - A - Original protagonist of a popular Nintendo RPG and another fairly big franchise that is unrepresented.
Effort - C - Assist trophy model already exists at least

Background - The main character of Golden Sun. Movesets with him can be pretty creative and based on his Psynergy abilities. Many people have said "Felix, because I like him more," but forget it. Felix was the second main character. There is absolutely no reason for him to be put in before Isaac -- unless the PMBR decide to put BOTH of them in (Felix as a clone). Isaac has seniority.

Pros
-Very strong fit.
-Represents a major unrepresented franchise
-Assist trophy

Cons
-Uses swords, but his moveset can be mixed up with Psynergy.
-Decent chance of being in Wii/3DS

Dixie Kong (Donkey Kong)
The only other Kong to have her own game

Value - A - Multiple appearances, had her own game. DK series has a small roster.
Effort - A - Can be clone-ified off Diddy with a few changes to incorporate her ponytail.

Background - Not much to say other than what I said above. The only other DK character that has a legitimate spot for contention is King K. Rool. The big problem with him is that he's not really cloneable and should require his own moveset. I would rather err on the side of less work.

Pros
-Major DK character
-Cloneable
-Lots of support from fans
-Appears in Brawl (I forget in what form)

Cons
-Decent chance of making it into Wii/3DS (per SunJester)

Krystal (Star Fox)
Because we need more Star Fox characters

Value - C - First appeared in a not-very popular Star Fox game during the series' slide
Effort - C - Would require her own moveset... unless you want ANOTHER clone.

Background - Krystal is frequently brought up as a character that deserves a slot. Maybe it's because she's female, but I don't understand where this comes from. She's a supporting character in a game that wasn't even meant to be a Star Fox game originally, and later joins as a teammate in later games. The series already has one teammate and one rival though.

Pros
-Uses different weapons
-Female diversity?
-Appeared as a trophy in Brawl
-Very small chance of making it into Wii/3DS

Cons
-Supporting character of a 1) saturated franchise and 2) games of said franchise past its glory days (Star Fox 64)
-Would need a lot of work from models and animations to moveset to sounds

Tails (Sonic the Hedgehog)
Sonic's Luigi

Value - B - Super iconic Sonic character. If anyone from Sonic should make it in, it's him. But do we need a second character from a non-Nintendo (guest) franchise?
Effort - A - Pseudoclone, Luigi style. He can borrow many moves from Sonic, but also diverge in several, making him more Luigi-like than an actual clone. Still, much less work needed.

Background - Everyone knows who Tails is, so I shouldn't need to say much. If a Sonic character is to be considered, then it must go to Tails. However, the big question should be should another Sonic character even be considered in the first place? Remember this is a Nintendo game. Sonic and Snake are pretty much guests, and adding additional characters from their games is a little overkill. That being said, this is a mod, and the makers are free to do what they want. My personally feeling is that if another third party character were to be added, then it should be Tails, and stop there. I won't even bother with a Knuckles entry for this reason (you'd already know what I say. He's also Luigifiable, but Tails has priority).

Pros
-Second most iconic Sonic character
-Luigifiable
-So many Sonic fans. Feed their voracious hunger.
-Did appear in Brawl
-Very high chance of not making it into Wii/3DS

Cons
-Yet another 3rd party character

Shadow (Sonic the Hedgehog)
Because people keep bringing him up

Value - C - Why Shadow over Tails?
Effort - A - Cloneable, a lot of PSA work done

Background - Read above for Tails on why Shadow shouldn't belong. But he does have two things going -- some die-hard supporters and a much easier job than Tails because of previous PSA work and his closer similarities to Sonic.

Pros
-Cloneable
-Lots of PSA work done.
-So many Shadow fans. Feed their voracious hunger.
-Almost guaranteed of not making it into Wii/3DS
-Assist trophy (thanks, Rikana)

Cons
-Yet another 3rd party character
-Does not even deserve the second slot within his own franchise

Raccoon Chuck

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3437-3568-6776
The main problem I see here is the fact that assist trophies don't really help. As Shadic has stated, they have a minute count of scripted animations, and their models lack quality in comparison.

BronzeGreekGod

Smash Lord
Oh ya someone made a point that made me think about this issue.. since the PMBR cant put in any characters that are gona be in SSB4, they may not even be able to put in any characters that have potential to be in the next game. I wonder if they communicate with nintendo on these matters.

SunJester

Smash Ace
You know I'm actually a fairly decent fan of giving Black Shadow G-Dorf's moveset and working on a new one for 'dorf.

Other than that I'm fairly certain Lyn, Isaac and one of Sonic's stupid friends getting in. Lyn can use some animations from the other 3 FE characters in this game, Isaac is a sword wielder and I'm sure they could make him a semi clone of Link or Ike or something, and one of Sonic's friends because they all spin to win like Sonic.

Dixie would be a good choice (could be a semi clone of Diddy), but I feel given her inclusion in DKCR : TF she'll probably be included in Smash 4 (she was almost in Brawl)

There's also a distinct maybe on Pichu, since he could be a clone of Pikachu. (I'd rather see Plusle and Minun in a IC-esque combo if they were going to do that)

MVP

Smash Ace
i can't imagine the pmbr would dump hundreds into thousands of hours into the clone engine if they only intended to implement 2 out of the available 7 characters

Trinsic

Smash Apprentice
There's also a distinct maybe on Pichu, since he could be a clone of Pikachu. (I'd rather see Plusle and Minun in a IC-esque combo if they were going to do that)
I've never liked the idea of Plusle and Minun as IC-Pikachus in Smash, even if it was something originally planned for Brawl. I feel like it really takes away what made the ICs distinct, that coupled with the Pikachu similarities makes Plusle and Minun sound like they would be kind of stale on release. If it weren't for their names showing up on the original Brawl roster, I highly doubt anyone would be suggesting them as characters.

On Lyn, she is my favorite FE character and I wanted her in Brawl. That said, I'm not sure what the PMBR could do with her. I'm sure they could come up with something good, but how much can you do with a sword wielder that isn't already seen by the other FE lords or Links? She has the bow, but unless that's incorporated into like half of her moveset I don't know how much it would help make her feel fresh. Plus I feel like FE has enough characters with Roy. I'd much rather see characters from series that don't already have someone playable, but still show up in Smash in some way.

Tuvillo

Smash Apprentice
Lyn would just be a Marth-sized Metaknight with Link's bow >.>

That huge post was really helpful, by the way. I'm fine with all suggestions, even Lyn. (Though any other non-sword FE character just sits with me much better)

y.toonlink

Smash Ace
Oh ya someone made a point that made me think about this issue.. since the PMBR cant put in any characters that are gona be in SSB4, they may not even be able to put in any characters that have potential to be in the next game. I wonder if they communicate with nintendo on these matters.
I think that they are able put characters that could potentially be in ssb4, just ones that havent been confirmed yet (assuming p:m finishes development of said characters before any official confirmations are made). They said they dont have plans to backport any characters, so they shouldn't have any problems if the character was released on p:m before ssb4. It would be like getting in trouble for Toon Link being playable on p:m before his confirmation on the dojo. Even if Ridley was playable (pretty please?), who's to know his moveset will even be the same for both? The only characters they should watch out for are ones that had absolutely no reference in Brawl, like Megaman. That said, we could even get Villager, but that might be a bad move considering he was a big part of the ssb4 hype.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero

Andy (Advance Wars)
"Advance Wars character" was mentioned, but it can't be anyone other than Andy.

Value - A - Most recurrent protagonist of an unrepresented major series
Effort - B - If implemented as a Snake clone, the main work would be his model.

Background - Advance Wars is probably the biggest franchise without representation in Smash Bros. And Andy is the only main character to appear more than once (sorry Jake and Will). The idea has been brought up that he can use Snake's moveset. I'd imagine him being much weaker but faster, so he could be a clone, but quite different. Of course, i'd like him to be able to use his wrench too!

Pros
-Would represent the largest franchise that isn't represented in Smash Bros
-Can be a Snake clone

Cons
-Would need a lot of model work
-Would need custom sound effects
There is actually a far better choice for a Snake-clone Advance Wars character: Sami.

Unlike Andy, Sami actually has experience using the weaponry Snake uses.

This is all official artwork.

Also, although Sami may not be as important in Andy in the first Advance Wars (she shares equal importance with him in the sequel), keep in mind Lyn (a popular choice for one of the slots) is less important than Hector and Eliwood in FE7.

Sami is basically the Advance Wars equivalent of Lyn.

Sami makes perfect sense as a Snake clone. And Advance Wars is one of the most overdue franchises for a playable character (it has had seven games developed by Intelligent Systems).

Also, I agree that one thing they need to watch out for with Lyn is avoid making her a Marth-sized Meta Knight (which can turn even uglier considering Project M has Melee physics).

splat

Smash Lord
There is actually a far better choice for a Snake-clone Advance Wars character: Sami.

[...]

Sami makes perfect sense as a Snake clone. And Advance Wars is one of the most overdue franchises for a playable character (it has had seven games developed by Intelligent Systems).
Very much agreed on that last sentence. It's a tad saddening that a Nintendo series with this many installments - 12 - is still largely ignored for Smash.

As for Sami: I quite like her, but I don't think she's very recognizable. When it comes down to it, Sami appeared only in three of the games, as a side character. No, I think there's a better pick:

No, I'm not kidding. I even made a thread on the SSB4 Character boards eons ago because I'd love to see him.

Tuvillo

Smash Apprentice
Megaman in SSB4 seems to have (mild) projectiles as A-Attacks. This could be an interesting take on creating ideas for some of these characters.

For example in Sengoku Basara, a complete hack-and-slash game, there's a character who has a handgun, shotgun and rifle as all her standard attacks.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
As for Sami: I quite like her, but I don't think she's very recognizable. When it comes down to it, Sami appeared only in three of the games, as a side character. No, I think there's a better pick:
Sami is no more of a side character than Lyn, and unlike Lyn, she had a role in more than one game in her series. She is a co-protagonist with Andy in the two GBA Famicom/Advance Wars titles. She also makes an appearance in Dual Strike.

Ninka_kiwi

Smash Ace
Sami would be a really interesting pick honestly, As it would add another unique franchise into brawl's character roster.
The only problem I see with her is voice clips, though I think Project M could scout out voice actors/actresses for any character they chose who has no voice clips of their own.

Anti Guy

Couch Tomato
BRoomer
NNID
CouchTomato87
You forgot krystal.
Updated my post:
Krystal

Value - C - First appeared in a not-very popular Star Fox game during the series' slide

Background - Krystal is frequently brought up as a character that deserves a slot. Maybe it's because she's female, but I don't understand where this comes from. She's a supporting character in a game that wasn't even meant to be a Star Fox game originally, and later joins as a teammate in later games. The series already has one teammate and one rival though.

Pros
-Uses different weapons
-Female diversity?

Cons
-Supporting character of a 1) saturated franchise and 2) games of said franchise past its glory days (Star Fox 64)

Unlike Andy, Sami actually has experience using the weaponry Snake uses.

Also, although Sami may not be as important in Andy in the first Advance Wars (she shares equal importance with him in the sequel), keep in mind Lyn (a popular choice for one of the slots) is less important than Hector and Eliwood in FE7.

Sami is basically the Advance Wars equivalent of Lyn.

Also, I agree that one thing they need to watch out for with Lyn is avoid making her a Marth-sized Meta Knight (which can turn even uglier considering Project M has Melee physics).
Sami is no more of a side character than Lyn, and unlike Lyn, she had a role in more than one game in her series. She is a co-protagonist with Andy in the two GBA Famicom/Advance Wars titles. She also makes an appearance in Dual Strike.

I'm not sure where you got the idea that Sami was a "co-protagonist" (meaning she has equal weight as Andy)... there was nothing in the games to suggest that. Andy was the center of the spotlight for the first two games, while Sami was by definition a supporting character. I don't think the PMBR would spend their time making a supporting character over a protagonist -- and most of the community wouldn't be particularly thrilled either. Despite Andy not being an infantry specialist, there's no reason why he can't use weapons (if he's in the army, I'm assuming he's had training with firearms...); you can also apply Earthbound logic where how Ness and Lucas could use moves that their teammates could use, Andy could work the same way. I think the only way Sami would actually have a decent chance if there was a huge support for her among P:M players that overshadows her actual weight in her games and Nintendo gaming in general... I'm talking about support like people have for lesser characters like Lyn and Geno.

Tuvillo

Smash Apprentice
I just played a LOT of Joy Mech Fight, and seriously man, that game is amazing.

All-in Sukapon!

MagnesD3

Smash Master
Updated my post:
Krystal

Pros
-Uses different weapons
-Female diversity?

Cons

I'm not sure where you got the idea that Sami was a "co-protagonist" (meaning she has equal weight as Andy)... there was nothing in the games to suggest that. Andy was the center of the spotlight for the first two games, while Sami was by definition a supporting character. I don't think the PMBR would spend their time making a supporting character over a protagonist -- and most of the community wouldn't be particularly thrilled either. Despite Andy not being an infantry specialist, there's no reason why he can't use weapons (if he's in the army, I'm assuming he's had training with firearms...); you can also apply Earthbound logic where how Ness and Lucas could use moves that their teammates could use, Andy could work the same way. I think the only way Sami would actually have a decent chance if there was a huge support for her among P:M players that overshadows her actual weight in her games and Nintendo gaming in general... I'm talking about support like people have for lesser characters like Lyn and Geno.
Krystals popularity is strong but so is her anti fanbase... but anyways another great addition would be Saki from sin and punishment if you want to make a thing for him.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Despite Andy not being an infantry specialist, there's no reason why he can't use weapons (if he's in the army, I'm assuming he's had training with firearms...);
Andy: What's an airport?

I think that quote rests my case.

Overall, I think Sami would make the best choice for a playable Advance Wars character, and I am working on an elaborate reasoning for her.

However, you are definitely wrong on her not being as important as Andy in Black Hole Rising.

As I said before, she is no less important to the GBA Advance Wars games than Lyn is to FE7.

Virum

Smash Ace
NNID
SiLeNtDo0m
3DS FC
3368-3441-2801
Just a quick interjection, a number of these have Effort listed as A/B mainly because they have a model in Brawl already but really they shouldn't be. An assist trophy model is basically useless to us as it's far low quality in terms of just about everything (as aforementioned) Consequently, a new model would have to be made from scratch anyway. But even when we do have a good model to work with from the get go (Ridley for example has his high quality boss model which if anything might be a little to high quality as the rig is more detailed than that of the other characters), the bulk of the work is out into the animation. The estimate of 700 hours was for the animation alone .

As a result characters with unique bone structures are very difficult for us to do in a realistic time span as this is of course something we do in our spare time. Sukapon is listed there as an A for example when really he should be a C at best because of his unique bone structure.

Just thought I'd shed a little more light.

Anti Guy

Couch Tomato
BRoomer
NNID
CouchTomato87
I just played a LOT of Joy Mech Fight, and seriously man, that game is amazing.

All-in Sukapon!
Haha yeah, Joy Mech Fight is surprisingly good for its time. You're living proof that his inclusion would do a lot for exposure. :p His biggest problem is that not many people know of him.

Krystals popularity is strong but so is her anti fanbase... but anyways another great addition would be Saki from sin and punishment if you want to make a thing for him.
I did think about Saki. I'd put him in the same boat as Little Mac. Both characters that would have a very high chance of making it into Wii/3DS (although it was stated above that that probably doesn't matter much) and also characters that require their own movesets... Since they're assist trophies like Lyn (and thus would require the same amount of work), I'd rather have them than Lyn though if copyright stuff isn't an issue.

Andy: What's an airport?

I think that quote rests my case.

Overall, I think Sami would make the best choice for a playable Advance Wars character, and I am working on an elaborate reasoning for her.

However, you are definitely wrong on her not being as important as Andy in Black Hole Rising.

As I said before, she is no less important to the GBA Advance Wars games than Lyn is to FE7.

Yeah Andy is missing some parts of his brain, but that was more for tutorial purposes than anything.

You keep saying I'm wrong about Sami not being important as Andy in AW2. Give evidence... Are you going by her little subplot with Eagle? If so, that's pretty much all that is -- a subplot.

And again, I'm saying that the comparison to Lyn is irrelevant because 1) Lyn would actually deserve the title "co-protagonist" (having her own story) and 2) I'm saying Lyn deserves it more because she's next up in line within FE7 and also because she has more fan support.

Just a quick interjection, a number of these have Effort listed as A/B mainly because they have a model in Brawl already but really they shouldn't be. An assist trophy model is basically useless to us as it's far low quality in terms of just about everything (as aforementioned) Consequently, a new model would have to be made from scratch anyway. But even when we do have a good model to work with from the get go (Ridley for example has his high quality boss model which if anything might be a little to high quality as the rig is more detailed than that of the other characters), the bulk of the work is out into the animation. The estimate of 700 hours was for theanimation alone .

As a result characters with unique bone structures are very difficult for us to do in a realistic time span as this is of course something we do in our spare time. Sukapon is listed there as an A for example when really he should be a C at best because of his unique bone structure.

Just thought I'd shed a little more light.
Thanks for the clarification. I know that the models would be from scratch, but I was figuring that having some kind of base to work off would help a lot artistically (having all the proportions right, etc -- then you can just improve on the textures)... compared to creating someone like Andy, who'd be from scratch. Correct me if I'm wrong though. Either way, you're right that that's still insignificant compared to animations.

As for Skapon, I'm not really sure how his bone structure would make him that difficult. Can't you just have transparent limbs or something?

StarWaffle from lsteam.net was able to make that texture that with no problems with visuals. After seeing that, I figured it wouldn't be that hard.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Yeah Andy is missing some parts of his brain, but that was more for tutorial purposes than anything.

You keep saying I'm wrong about Sami not being important as Andy in AW2. Give evidence... Are you going by her little subplot with Eagle? If so, that's pretty much all that is -- a subplot.

As for Sami in AW2, all three COs (Andy, Sami, Max) get an equal share of mandatory missions both in Orange Star and as allies in the other nations’ missions.

Sami (along with Max) are also promoted equally as much as Andy is in all the official artwork for the GBA duo Famicom/Advance Wars titles.

The only other character that I think would work as well as a Snake-clone than Sami would be Pico from the F-Zero series (who is personally my favorite pilot in the entire series). However, I think Sami would be better received as a character than Pico, and also serve to represent one of Nintendo's longest running franchises (Famicom Wars).

BronzeGreekGod

Smash Lord
This is to AntiGuy's comprehensive post...

Great list, love all the points, and I agree with most of it!

First of all I wana say I love that more people want Ganondorfs move set transferred to Black shadow, and then Ganondorf getting his own move set. I feel like after Mewtwo, that should be the next main important effort on the PMBR's list. I don't know if they're on the same page as that, but I really really hope that its a possibility!

The only 4 characters I don't care for on the list are Pichu (which most will agree with), dixie, tails and shadow.

Pichu.. for obvious reasons - also im sure he can be a skin like Dr Mario

Tails and shadow both can be skins as well

Dixie - also could be a skin lol, but I dont think she has anything special to bring to the table.. unless they decided to go "ape s**h" and give Diddy a complete overhaul and make him a Diddy Dixie duo (similar to ice climbers but perhaps with a dynamic twist where you can switch between characters with down b or something)
I know thats highly unlikely, but that would be the best thing for dixie.. otherwise i think shes kinda pointless.

A couple of characters I think would be worth adding to the list :

Ray from custom robo - Hes so cool and custom robo deserves to be represented more

Masks Link - (always has a mask on and can use down b to switch masks like pokemon trainer would with the pokemon)
I know that one is very unlikely, but god how awesome would that be? - Final smash ONI LINKKKK

Dark Samus - this would be clone ish since samus already exists. Clearly dark samus can be very different, but many animations can be reused so this could be more likely.

Saki from sin and punishment - cool obscure character

King/Captain K. Rule - Donkey kong villan needed.. no?

Obviously theres no chance all of these characters will get in, and some of them are even less likely than others, but its just something to talk about!

Would you have anything to add or say to this list AntiGuy?

cmart

Smash Lord
Anti-guy - To put it simply, the further a character model strays from the existing cast's base proportions, the more the workload intensifies. WIth a humanoid character, there's a decent chance you can port and crib off of existing animations from a number of characters - with a non-humanoind you have to do everything from scratch or already have a direct body match to copy. You should be looking not at how simple/complex a model is, but if there's any analogue already in the game. Your example of Skapon would require doing the entire animation file from scratch - hardly an easy or trivial amount of work.

Also - shoutouts to Starwaffle, he's PMBR too

Rikana

Smash Champion
Effort - how much work would it take to make this character? I'm just giving an estimate here...
A: As easy as can get. Pretty much a clone, or very simple animations. Having an established moveset helps too.
B: Will take some work and creativity. Significant animation work
C: Need to develop from scratch and take a ton of time. Is this even worth it??
Another major thing you forgot to add to that is implementing things such as command grabs, reflective properties, and articles (all which requires extensive coding and file editing). Especially dealing with articles. These are major things that can hinder a project from finishing for months.

Anti Guy

Couch Tomato
BRoomer
NNID
CouchTomato87

Ray from custom robo - Hes so cool and custom robo deserves to be represented more

Masks Link - (always has a mask on and can use down b to switch masks like pokemon trainer would with the pokemon)
I know that one is very unlikely, but god how awesome would that be? - Final smash ONI LINKKKK

Dark Samus - this would be clone ish since samus already exists. Clearly dark samus can be very different, but many animations can be reused so this could be more likely.

Obviously theres no chance all of these characters will get in, and some of them are even less likely than others, but its just something to talk about!

I don't care for many of the characters on my list too, but I just included ones that have popped up frequently and tried to be objective about it (like I don't really want Dixie, even though I couldn't think of any cons for her when I wrote it). As for the ones you've mentioned... Ray, Saki, and King K. Rool are all very viable characters, but like I said in a previous post, they're all C effort characters because they require their own animations and movesets. I could probably add them if they're more popular. Mask Link is beyond the scope of what they can do, I think (or if they can, it'd take much much more than 700 hours). Dark Samus is probably legit and very cloneable. I can probably add her later.

Anti-guy - To put it simply, the further a character model strays from the existing cast's base proportions, the more the workload intensifies. WIth a humanoid character, there's a decent chance you can port and crib off of existing animations from a number of characters - with a non-humanoind you have to do everything from scratch or already have a direct body match to copy. You should be looking not at how simple/complex a model is, but if there's any analogue already in the game. Your example of Skapon would require doing the entire animation file from scratch - hardly an easy or trivial amount of work.

Also - shoutouts to Starwaffle, he's PMBR too
Fair enough. I'll update my post with that then.

Another major thing you forgot to add to that is implementing things such as command grabs, reflective properties, and articles (all which requires extensive coding and file editing). Especially dealing with articles. These are major things that can hinder a project from finishing for months.

I know, but aren't those things shared by any new characters being made? I was mainly trying to point out things that would distinguish one candidate from another, while that is all baseline stuff that would happen regardless.

Shadow Huan

Smash Champion
I don't care for many of the characters on my list too, but I just included ones that have popped up frequently and tried to be objective about it (like I don't really want Dixie, even though I couldn't think of any cons for her when I wrote it). As for the ones you've mentioned... Ray, Saki, and King K. Rool are all very viable characters, but like I said in a previous post, they're all C effort characters because they require their own animations and movesets. I could probably add them if they're more popular. Mask Link is beyond the scope of what they can do, I think (or if they can, it'd take much much more than 700 hours). Dark Samus is probably legit and very cloneable. I can probably add her later.
Dark Samus would work perfectly if done right imo. while technically (literally) a clone, the way that it fights is completely different than Samus. taking moves from the battles in Metroid Prime 2 and 3 gives us...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQCR-6w29K0

Super missles that are actually "Super", a scattershot beam attack, the "meteor" move in which it uses it's entire body as a weapon, and an energy shield.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U4Xp_gRLB8M

a boost ball type attack, a charge shot with freezing capabilites, a friggen hyper beam type attack, and missles like Samus

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IPEykOoTNSg

not sure how much of use you can get out of the final battle, maybe alternate costumes? (Speaking of which the Light Suit is so sleek)

not sure what you can take from the battle in the 3rd, but here it is lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xK5P90HVHnM

all in all, if done right, could be a very interesting character

BronzeGreekGod

Smash Lord

I definitely think masks link is outa the question lol, i just think he would be such an amazing fit. I actually think they could probably make it work, but I know the work they'd need to put in would be way too immense to make that an expectation.

Now as for ray, i feel like his moves can be based off of a character like samus and/or fox (perhaps a combination if thats even possible). This being said, we dont want him to be a clone, but i think those characters moves could be used and changed enough to make him his own character. I could be wrong of course.

And Dark samus of course would be a great clone, they could give her/him/it(?) the same move set but change the moves to suit her/him/it better.
I like these ideas:

Dark Samus would work perfectly if done right imo. while technically (literally) a clone, the way that it fights is completely different than Samus. taking moves from the battles in Metroid Prime 2 and 3 gives us...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQCR-6w29K0

Super missles that are actually "Super", a scattershot beam attack, the "meteor" move in which it uses it's entire body as a weapon, and an energy shield.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U4Xp_gRLB8M

a boost ball type attack, a charge shot with freezing capabilites, a friggen hyper beam type attack, and missles like Samus

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IPEykOoTNSg

not sure how much of use you can get out of the final battle, maybe alternate costumes? (Speaking of which the Light Suit is so sleek)

not sure what you can take from the battle in the 3rd, but here it is lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xK5P90HVHnM

all in all, if done right, could be a very interesting character
I think I'd make the scatter shot a fully charged neutral b blast (the more its charged the bigger the scatter)

Id say the screw attack (up b) could be swapped out with a chargeable boost ball attack where you can choose the direction it moves in. (this makes the move kind of similar to the screw attack with a twist)

Down b can be swapped out with that energy field thing (it can work similar to samus' bombs, but instead of a bomb being dropped that explodes after some time, theres kind of an immediate explosion)

and id make the misstles (side B) into a freezing missile type of move. Although freezing moves will be tough with the terrible freeze mechanic in brawl, unless they're working on improving that already.

Chzrm3

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3926-5442-3703
Yeah, I really like that big list of character choices. I think characters like Dixie and Tails are the way to go, for sure - if Roy is 700 hours of work, I have no idea what a character made from scratch would be. O_O Of course, I could just be biased, because Dixie and Tails are pretty much my favorite characters from that list. : >

I love the idea of a Samus clone, too, whether it's Dark Samus or someone else. She's got such a fun playstyle, I'd love to see what they could do with that.

Sanity's_Theif

Smash Ace
This is to AntiGuy's comprehensive post...

Great list, love all the points, and I agree with most of it!

First of all I wana say I love that more people want Ganondorfs move set transferred to Black shadow, and then Ganondorf getting his own move set. I feel like after Mewtwo, that should be the next main important effort on the PMBR's list. I don't know if they're on the same page as that, but I really really hope that its a possibility!

The only 4 characters I don't care for on the list are Pichu (which most will agree with), dixie, tails and shadow.

Pichu.. for obvious reasons - also im sure he can be a skin like Dr Mario

Tails and shadow both can be skins as well

Dixie - also could be a skin lol, but I dont think she has anything special to bring to the table.. unless they decided to go "ape s**h" and give Diddy a complete overhaul and make him a Diddy Dixie duo (similar to ice climbers but perhaps with a dynamic twist where you can switch between characters with down b or something)
I know thats highly unlikely, but that would be the best thing for dixie.. otherwise i think shes kinda pointless.

You cut out Shadow and Tails, saying they can be costumes, and then put in Dark Samus?

...Really

Anti Guy

Couch Tomato
BRoomer
NNID
CouchTomato87
I definitely think masks link is outa the question lol, i just think he would be such an amazing fit. I actually think they could probably make it work, but I know the work they'd need to put in would be way too immense to make that an expectation.

Now as for ray, i feel like his moves can be based off of a character like samus and/or fox (perhaps a combination if thats even possible). This being said, we dont want him to be a clone, but i think those characters moves could be used and changed enough to make him his own character. I could be wrong of course.

And Dark samus of course would be a great clone, they could give her/him/it(?) the same move set but change the moves to suit her/him/it better.
I like these ideas:

The more I think about it, the more I like it, especially given the vibe I'm getting from the PMBR is that they're heavily partial to clone characters. Added Dark Samus:

Dark Samus (Metroid)

Value - A - Probably most significant character in the franchise after Samus and Ridley, being the main antagonist of the Metroid Prime series.
Effort - A - Very clone-like. Many animations can be reused. Also some PSA work done that can be used as an example.

Background - If Ridley doesn't get in, then Dark Samus is an excellent alternative for franchise villain. While she isn't in most of the games like Ridley, she was at least the main protagonist for the largely successful Metroid Prime series (and unlike many other characters that have been suggested, she lasts through multiple games). She can share many animations with Samus, but also has her own unique moves. I imagine she'd be a very fast character (in contrast to Samus' slower playstyle), considering how she zips everywhere when you fight against her. Some animation changes can include making her move like Mewtwo (floating), as well as rolling like Mewtwo (disappearing and reappearing). Likewise, her projectiles would probably be weak scattershot Phazon attacks, in contrast to Samus' heavy-hitting ones.

Pros
-Battles from her game can provide inspiration her a few unique moves and animations
-Popular choice

Cons

I also reevaluated "Effort" for a bunch of the characters above. Most of the assist trophy characters have been re-ranked as C, while characters that have easier animations were B or A.

Overall, it seems like Black Shadow/Ganondorf is the most favored character right now.

Personally, I'd hope to see the following the 7 slots:

Veterans: Roy and Mewtwo (2)
Medium-load project: Black Shadow with Ganondorf (1)
Clones (light-load): Dark Samus, Tails (2) - I still don't know why I'm saying Tails, because I don't care for him, but of the clones, I'd rather have him than Dixie
Heavy-load project: Skapon (1)
Borrowed PSA: Waluigi (1) - only as a borrowed PSA, if you can "port" them into a slot. I don't care for Waluigi, but DarkMario64's work on him is amazing.

BronzeGreekGod

Smash Lord
You cut out Shadow and Tails, saying they can be costumes, and then put in Dark Samus?

...Really

Yes because of the following reasons:
Tails and shadow are 3rd parties
Tails is too similar a clone to sonic
Shadow i think is too complicated to create the right way and hes not even that iconic
Dark samus can be a "clone" but with large enough differences to make her practically not a clone
We also need more Metroid rep

BronzeGreekGod

Smash Lord
OH! Antiguy, another thing i forgot.

Baby bowser.

He would be a complete clone basically, but a much faster weaker version of bowser. I think this would be worth it because there shouldn't be that much work involved in doing this, and bowser is so slow that some people may not like using him (i personally like bowser but it would be nice to have a faster version of him as well).

Baby bowser isn't one of my top choices, but it would be a decent addition if nothing else was possible.

MagnesD3

Smash Master
The more I think about it, the more I like it, especially given the vibe I'm getting from the PMBR is that they're heavily partial to clone characters. Added Dark Samus:

Dark Samus (Metroid)

Pros
-Popular choice

Cons

I also reevaluated "Effort" for a bunch of the characters above. Most of the assist trophy characters have been re-ranked as C, while characters that have easier animations were B or A.

Overall, it seems like Black Shadow/Ganondorf is the most favored character right now.

Personally, I'd hope to see the following the 7 slots:

Veterans: Roy and Mewtwo (2)
Medium-load project: Black Shadow with Ganondorf (1)
Clones (light-load): Dark Samus, Tails (2) - I still don't know why I'm saying Tails, because I don't care for him, but of the clones, I'd rather have him than Dixie
Heavy-load project: Skapon (1)
Borrowed PSA: Waluigi (1) - only as a borrowed PSA, if you can "port" them into a slot. I don't care for Waluigi, but DarkMario64's work on him is amazing.
I'd say saki doesn't have the best chance for making it in so on could be the best opportunity to include him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom