• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"Clones"...why do people care?

VietGeek

Smash Hero
Link to original post: "Clones"...why do people care?

This has been a question that has concerned me for a while. While talk of these subjects has died down now that we are nearly a year away from the Landmasters fiasco, I've always wondered why, particularly the more casual audience, are so picky about these so called "clone characters?"

I'm quite sure this question has been asked many times throughout the course of Smash history. A classic perhaps.

Yes...why do people take issue with it? Isn't a clone simply an aesthetic similarity, yet with key mechanics slightly tweaked? Has humanity lost its insight and can only see what is right in front of them?

In Melee, Sakurai promised to get rid of "clones." While taking that literally, we could see his logic for Mewtwo, but what of Dr. Mario, Pichu, Roy, and Young Link? Why were thet removed from Brawl while Falco and Ganondorf were spared? Was it fanbase? Or was it...

Playstyle?

Ah, with my '08 join date and ignorance of the roots of Melee competitive play (actually, might as well make it casual play too), I will beseech to you my understanding of Sakurai's thought process.

To my understanding, Sakurai understood clones as not aesthetic similarities, but how the character is played.

For example, the casual fanbase will see Melee Fox and Falco as almost near-copies. Yet, are they in the midst of battle? They share common traits and strategies such as SHFF lasers, but move selection, comboing, the mindset behind it all, the mentality, is different...at least more so than...Dr. Mario and Mario. To my understanding. Dr. Mario had an arguably better forward aerial, no? But overall, he could be played similar to Mario and still have some success, and vice-versa, yes? But one could not say that with Fox and Falco, for strategies, real-time tactics are different. You could play Ganondorf and Falcon similarly, but Ganon emphasizes bair and dair to techchasing, while Falcon tries to get a grab off to set up into a knee. Again, they can play similarly, but their prevailing tactics are arguably...unique.

Yet...

Marth and Roy could be played similarly, although the success of sharing playstyles is questionable. However, their bread-and-butter is stereotypical...fair and fsmash. Marth was dominantly played more offensively than Roy due to his speed, the attribute of his Falchion being a sweetspot at the tip for optimum rewards for spacing safely, and less lag, plus superior combo ability as he had actual hitstun on his moves.

Roy had to be played more...defensively, no? With little hitstun, few poking moves and laggier aerials, plus as a fastfaller, perhaps succumbed to much more severe punishment, led to his optimum play being more defensive, baiting with dtilt, retreating with SHFFL fairs perhaps?

But Sakurai perhaps did not think that far, perhaps he simply saw the playstyles were similar enough...that they were clones not in an aesthetic sense, but would feel like a copy in the hands of the player as well.

In Brawl, the key targets for "clone comparison" are Link and Toon Link, Fox, Falco, and Wolf, perhaps at times Ness and Lucas.

One would say that Sakurai had failed, that the number of clones has not decreased, arguably, it has worsened.

But in his eyes...perhaps this was the greatest effort at perfection...well, in a Brawl perspective.

Link and Toon Link...they play differently. Toon Link has the mobility to do hit and run, his attacks are more easily chained together once he finds an opening, his moves of priority are different from Link's. Link cannot resort to hit and run as he does not have as much aerial mobility. However, he has excellent reach and power to swat away at enemies that do get through his line of defense. Can you play them the same? Sure, why not? Would it produce equally successful results? I would garner to say no.

Fox, Falco, Wolf. Perhaps the trio that gave new birth to this topic at the rise of Brawl. Yet as we all know, all three play distinctly different. Wolf is a character that demonstrates stage control through melee tactics, safe spacing, baiting and punishment. Falco can pressure at long-range, can play arguably the best hit-and-run game with phantasm, an excellent damage racker but lacks overly powerful kill moves that aren't telegraphed beforehand.

Instead, he ignores this by setting up gimps and racking up enough damage that a simple bair may kill fresh. Fox lacks a good approach, his camping game is inferior as his laser's deal no stun and he can no longer retreat with them. He is the "glass cannon." He is fragile, dies early, and if prone to mistakes, can be punished in a multitude of ways. Yet if he can capitalize on his opponent's mistakes, he can rack up quick damage, and also finish quick with his excellent smash attacks.

I could go on...but it seems my message has been delivered. For anyone who still dislikes these "clones" and feel Sakurai has done disservice to you in this way, you are wrong.

For he has created characters that if you look from an aspect beyond pure aesthetics, from the point of view of the controlling player, you will see he has delivered his promise. He has created unique characters with unique attributes.

P.S - I wanted to write something as I waited for my Code Geass fix...but it got out of hand...again. <_<

Jam Stunna

Writer of Fortune
BRoomer
3DS FC
0447-6552-1484
Maybe you're right. Or maybe Sakurai's decision to keep certain clones as opposed to others was a completely arbitrary one, like seemingly every decision he made in regards to Brawl's development.

VietGeek

Smash Hero
Maybe you're right. Or maybe Sakurai's decision to keep certain clones as opposed to others was a completely arbitrary one, like seemingly every decision he made in regards to Brawl's development.
In retrospect...

Perhaps.

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
"In Melee, Sakurai promised to get rid of "clones." While taking that literally, we could see his logic for Mewtwo, but what of Dr. Mario, Pichu, Roy, and Young Link? Why were thet removed from Brawl while Falco and Ganondorf were spared? Was it fanbase? Or was it..."

Stopped reading there. The smash roster is choosen primarily (obviously characters such as ROB don't fit into this) due to how important a franchise is. Star Fox and Zelda are bigger franchises so, Ganon was kept in to have four reps and Falco was kept in so SF would have three.

Jam Stunna

Writer of Fortune
BRoomer
3DS FC
0447-6552-1484
Stopped reading there. The smash roster is choosen primarily (obviously characters such as ROB don't fit into this) due to how important a franchise is. Star Fox and Zelda are bigger franchises so, Ganon was kept in to have four reps and Falco was kept in so SF would have three.
That makes absolutely no sense. Star Fox has never been big enough to warrant 3 characters. Neither has Kirby. And you yourself pointed out how ROB doesn't fit into that theory. Neither does Ness/Lucas.

OrangeTang

Smash Rookie
But then, why remove Mewtwo? He plays COMPLETELY unlike any other character. Roy and Dr Mario's movesets could probably EASILY have their movesets modified much as Falco did.

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
Dr. Mario was understandable. What could they have really done to change him in Brawl?

Mewtwo was not.
Mewtwo was unique in the first place, they could have changed him if they wanted to.
But alas, stupid not-first generation pokemon appeal to today's audience.

Roy was meh. A clone that COULD have been fixed in style, like Falco, but na. Too much work right? Ike takes his place, whatever.

Pichu was just unpopular.

Toon Link was just because they wanted something new and young Link was basically considered a "weaker" charecter choice to them.

PrepareYourself

Smash Ace
Toon Link was just because they wanted something new and young Link was basically considered a "weaker" charecter choice to them.
It'd be easier to make a non-clone character with someone unique like Toon Link than Young Link, who is just a younger link. (-_-) I don't really see why they still made him a clone.

I came up with a moveset right now as a matter of fact.

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
I'm nearly positive that Sakurai doesn't have the mental capacity for an argument like that. If you want to argue that, fine, but I don't think Sakurai gave a crap. I think he was just torn between giving a bunch of fanservice characters and working to give separate movesets, and he went to fanservice instead. That's what Brawl IS. It doesn't really improve Melee at all except, arguably, in content. I still like most of Melee's content better, but Brawl does have more. They were running short on time as it is, so they gave us multiple clones instead of one solid, unique character.

Easy as that.

Mith_

Smash Champion
It'd be easier to make a non-clone character with someone unique like Toon Link than Young Link, who is just a younger link. (-_-) I don't really see why they still made him a clone.

I came up with a moveset right now as a matter of fact.
Toon Link and Link are the same age I'm assuming.

So Young Link would have be be weaker than regular Link, so that's why I think they removed him.

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
Toon Link and Link are the same age I'm assuming.

So Young Link would have be be weaker than regular Link, so that's why I think they removed him.
Nah Toon Link is 12, Link is like 16-18 and Young Link from Melee is like 11.
And yeah he was weaker but he had better jumps and was faster, and he had fire arrows lol.
Still a clone though -__- (Young Link is the true Link!!)

Gygados

Smash Apprentice
Don't turn around, 'cos then I'll be behind you.
Nah Toon Link is 12, Link is like 16-18 and Young Link from Melee is like 11.
Wasn't he 7? TP Link was 16, I hear.

Anyway, I absolutely agree with everything sasukebowser said. They could have 'man-up'ed Mewtwo, after all, he IS the second most powerful Pokémon in the Pokédex! He is so different from Lucario.

Roy's fighting style could DEFINITELY have changed to be at a power and speed/lag level half way between Marth and Ike, but he was just a clone, he was slightly stronger than Marth, but Ike was probably more popular.

Dr. Mario could have been to Mario what Classic Wario is to WarioWare Wario. They wouldn't even had needed to change his attcks, but if they did, only aesthetically.

Pichu sucked. I mean, who wants to be weak, light and damage themselves?

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
Wait, wait, wait. I just realized that part about Mewtwo.

Mewtwo wasn't removed for being a clone. Or anything like that. While Lucario's moveset is definitely derived from Mewtwo's, I'm 99% positive that the Pokemon company wanted Mewtwo out and Lucario in. Sakurai made reference in an interview to the Pokemon company being the most difficult to deal with. I imagine they didn't want that many first gen reps. That's the one thing I don't blame Sakurai for.

And when you think about it, can you blame them? They want their new Pokemon, however crappy they are, advertised so people will buy the new games. Mewtwo is not catchable in any games except for the first four (Red, Blue, Green, and Yellow) and the two remakes of first generation, which they're not going to make money off of. Sure, you can get Mewtwo in the newest games, but you either need to be uber lucky on the GTS, have one of the other games, or hack. I hate it, but it makes sense for them.

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988

Mewtwo wasn't removed for being a clone. Or anything like that. While Lucario's moveset is definitely derived from Mewtwo's, I'm 99% positive that the Pokemon company wanted Mewtwo out and Lucario in. Sakurai made reference in an interview to the Pokemon company being the most difficult to deal with. I imagine they didn't want that many first gen reps. That's the one thing I don't blame Sakurai for.

And when you think about it, can you blame them? They want their new Pokemon, however crappy they are, advertised so people will buy the new games. Mewtwo is not catchable in any games except for the first four (Red, Blue, Green, and Yellow) and the two remakes of first generation, which they're not going to make money off of. Sure, you can get Mewtwo in the newest games, but you either need to be uber lucky on the GTS, have one of the other games, or hack. I hate it, but it makes sense for them.
True, but I say the most loyal Pokemon fans are from 1st gen. I mean, it's Nintendo fans that should be buying Smash, the die hards. Everyone remembers the old times of traversing the Unknown Dungeon in Cerulean to catch that ultimate beast Mewtwo. We all remember the first movie. Why care about the new when you have millions of loyal fans who fondly remember Mewtwo and are outraged at his removal?
And yeah it was the Pokemon Company's fault, they wanted an image update, even though Lucario is kind of an uninspired Pokemon....

Bowser King

Have It Your Way
I agree that mewtwo is old but I think that "Once you add a char you should keep him in" (not counting the clones). Marth is old yet he hasn't been in a game except for the original FE games and the upcoming remake that wasn't even announced during the production time of brawl (...and likely not in 06 when the roster was made).

Oh well =/

@ skyler

That doesn't prove anything. Starfox isn't a big franchise. Especially when compared to other series that got fewer chars.

-:bowser:Bowser King

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
True, but I say the most loyal Pokemon fans are from 1st gen. I mean, it's Nintendo fans that should be buying Smash, the die hards. Everyone remembers the old times of traversing the Unknown Dungeon in Cerulean to catch that ultimate beast Mewtwo. We all remember the first movie. Why care about the new when you have millions of loyal fans who fondly remember Mewtwo and are outraged at his removal?
And yeah it was the Pokemon Company's fault, they wanted an image update, even though Lucario is kind of an uninspired Pokemon....
Yes, we are the most dedicated Pokemon fans. But take a gander, if you will, at Nintendo's entire attitude these days. They're not trying to target the die-hard fans. They figure they've got them hooked regardless. They're aiming to capture the interest of some new fans (read: casual gamers), and they'll do whatever it takes -- including alienating their biggest fans -- to do so.

I agree with you, but Nintendo definitely does not.

Mith_

Smash Champion
So sad that nintendo has the most rabid and loyal fanbase, and they are treating us poorly almost on purpose
Its like a drug dealer treating a crack head however they darn well please because they are supplying the product and the buyer is too addicted to say no.

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
Its like a drug dealer treating a crack head however they darn well please because they are supplying the product and the buyer is too addicted to say no.
It's true, I still respect them enough for the incredible times I had with their old games to put up with the bulls*** they come up with nowadays. Before I got competitive with Smash, I got the games because they were the ultimate celebration of everything Nintendo. Now it's not got that magic anymore. There was something about the old Smash games that had the magic that Brawl doesn't. I mean, I actually prefer Melee adventure to the SSE =\.

Mith_

Smash Champion
It's true, I still respect them enough for the incredible times I had with their old games to put up with the bulls*** they come up with nowadays. Before I got competitive with Smash, I got the games because they were the ultimate celebration of everything Nintendo. Now it's not got that magic anymore. There was something about the old Smash games that had the magic that Brawl doesn't. I mean, I actually prefer Melee adventure to the SSE =\.
Melee adventure mode > SSE.

SSE got very boring, I couldn't help my friend beat it because I'd always fall asleep when we did it ha ha (no homo). I woke up at 1 in the morning and he and my other friend were watching the end credits :laugh:

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
Melee adventure mode > SSE.

SSE got very boring, I couldn't help my friend beat it because I'd always fall asleep when we did it ha ha (no homo). I woke up at 1 in the morning and he and my other friend were watching the end credits :laugh:
Lol the end credits were the best part. It had awesome music. Basically 64 and Melee credits lol. Man good times, good times.

Black/Light

Smash Master

WTH are you talking about?

He said that the Pokemon people where hard to deal with because of the PAPER work it takes to use their characters. GF has no say in how many characters are in brawl nor did they force him to give Pokemon the highest amount of PCs in brawl out of any series (if you count PT as 3 different move-sets and pokemon forced into one)

And PT pretty much blows the thought that GF wanted 4th gen to be shown over 1st gen. Hell, every pokemon in the roster is 1st gen save Luc.
(And Mew2 was going to be in brawl . . . his character file was in there)

I blame no one but the devs for Mewtwo. Sakurai has done TONS of things this time that made nosense (like the big character poll thing . . . that only ended up reasulting in Sonic's spot).

-------------
Anyway, people simply like having crap loads of choices. Just think of how different Peach/ Fox/ Pika/ Pit and IC are . . . now think of a brawl where ALL the characters were this different. Clones just yell out " we want to toss in so-and-so characters over focusing on making fewer characters but more original move-sets".

And as much as I love PT I would have taken those 3 pokemon as their own characters (their own Bv and tweaked moves/ stats) over having them together. :ohwell:

Mith_

Smash Champion
And as much as I love PT I would have taken those 3 pokemon as their own characters (their own Bv and tweaked moves/ stats) over having them together. :ohwell:
Unfortunately, PT reps Pokemon far more than Jiggs and Lucario. Not saying they shouldn't be in the game but without PT there would really be no red/blue/green ha ha.

Squirt, Ivy, and Zard should have their own down+B though. Maybe use a taunt to switch instead of getting rid of a whole move.

And the stamina thing sorta reminds me of the TV show, where Pokemon were to be depicted as "real" so if they were battling for a long time they would get tired. But PT comes from the game not the show, so that stamina thing is bull**** imo.

Female PT (Mudkip, Grovyle,Blaziken) for SSB4.

Black/Light

Smash Master
Unfortunately, PT reps Pokemon far more than Jiggs and Lucario. Not saying they shouldn't be in the game but without PT there would really be no red/blue/green ha ha.

Squirt, Ivy, and Zard should have their own down+B though. Maybe use a taunt to switch instead of getting rid of a whole move.

And the stamina thing sorta reminds me of the TV show, where Pokemon were to be depicted as "real" so if they were battling for a long time they would get tired. But PT comes from the game not the show, so that stamina thing is bull**** imo.

Female PT (Mudkip, Grovyle,Blaziken) for SSB4.
Yeah, thats pretty much how I feel. (I mean, come on! Why can't they change with a taunt direction that we don't use?)

I still find it amazing that the devs had the time to make PT (and gimp each to make the other 2 seem useful. Zard carries that 3some and with a Bv+ better B^ without getting tired he would be soo much better! :mad: ) over making Mewtwo or decloning a ton of other clonish characters.:ohwell:

I just miss Mew2 . .. if he had Luc's stats he would be soo bad *** in brawl but that will never happen now.:(

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
WTH are you talking about?

He said that the Pokemon people where hard to deal with because of the PAPER work it takes to use their characters. GF has no say in how many characters are in brawl nor did they force him to give Pokemon the highest amount of PCs in brawl out of any series (if you count PT as 3 different move-sets and pokemon forced into one)
Okay. When I read the interview, I do not recall seeing that, but whatever. I was thinking he said they were most difficult to work with as in they had the strictest terms.

And PT pretty much blows the thought that GF wanted 4th gen to be shown over 1st gen. Hell, every pokemon in the roster is 1st gen save Luc.
(And Mew2 was going to be in brawl . . . his character file was in there)
My point is that they wanted some more 4th gen than 1st gen. Like, if we had gotten Mewtwo AND Lucario, Lucario would be outnumbered even more than he is now. Plus, Jiggs, Pikachu, and PT and his Pokemon are more relevant to recent games than Mewtwo. Especially Pikachu and PT himself.

Also, I am aware of the Forbidden 7.

I blame no one but the devs for Mewtwo. Sakurai has done TONS of things this time that made nosense (like the big character poll thing . . . that only ended up reasulting in Sonic's spot).
Yeah, I guess I'll just give him even less credit. Trust me, I'm aware that Sakurai is an idiot, I just gave him a little bit of credit there.

Anyway, people simply like having crap loads of choices. Just think of how different Peach/ Fox/ Pika/ Pit and IC are . . . now think of a brawl where ALL the characters were this different. Clones just yell out " we want to toss in so-and-so characters over focusing on making fewer characters but more original move-sets".
Precisely. The problem with clones is that they are not really focusing on making solid characters; they just want fanservice. Which overall contributes to the piece of crap Brawl is -- that's ALL it is.

Overall, though, my point is still in tact. Mewtwo wasn't taken out for being a clone.

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
That makes absolutely no sense. Star Fox has never been big enough to warrant 3 characters. Neither has Kirby. And you yourself pointed out how ROB doesn't fit into that theory. Neither does Ness/Lucas.
That's what I assume would be correct, but upon looking at VGS wiki, you are correct. Sorry.

Top Bottom