• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Closest match you've ever had?

Patsie

Smash Journeyman
Just wondering, because I just had the closest match ever.

It was a GB set against a really good Snake player. He's really campy and leaves grenades all over the place and handles all of his projectiles really well.

Anyway, he easily takes the first game with two lives. I take the second game on a technical two-stock. The last game, (9 minutes for a 4 stock) comes down to all nine minutes being gone because he kept camping and I tried my best to avoid it.

So, we go to Sudden Death, where he has the huge advantage with grenades and what-not. We're both jumping around looking for a KO hit, so it takes around a minute or so. Out of nowhere, bombs start falling from the sky (I didn't know this was a sudden death feature before). I get hit with a bomb and fling to the sky with a star-KO, and put down my controller knowing the loss. A split-second later, he gets slammed by a bomb and gets KO'd off the side literally a millisecond before I was about to lose my stock.

In all honesty, he's probably going to dispute the match because he's so pissed, but whatever.

Amide

Smash Lord
That's awesome! One time in Sudden Death, Bowser Bomb into G&W FSmash. Both get hit, death difference less than a tenth of a second.

Mr. Escalator

G&W Guru
NNID
MrEscalator
Best match ever :]
Its a shame you didnt know about the bom-ombs, but its awesome that it got the Snake player too.
If he disputes it, hit him with a Nine.

bebar

Smash Cadet
When it comes down to sudden death its fun, soo intense. Heres my closest match yet.

I had a good match with my buddy who plays as Zelda. It was either 5 or 3 stock forgot, but that doesn't matter. Anyhow, he was high % and had 2 lives left when I was a fresh 0% on my last life. I had buckets two thirds full with dins. Then i catch one more filling my bucket completely, shortly after I KO him before using my bucket. Now, i have around 60-80% while he is fresh 0% with one left for both of us. He catches me in a up smash and we both thought it was over, I think I went as far off the map to the top right corner as possible without dying, when i was falling down he sets up to sweet spot a fair, I release the bucket and kill him. I was so stoked.

Mr. Game and Penguin

Smash Apprentice
That's nothing. One time I was facing my friend's toon link, and we were both on our last lives. It was final destination, and it was pretty close till I got in a couple of turtles. He was at about 60%, me 40%. I hit him off, he come back, crushes me with a dair, and does his f-smash, which woulda killed me had not I DI'ed while using my fair. I sweetspot the ledge, jump and airdodge, turtle, and gimp him with my d-smash. He goes flying, and comes back for a spin-attack recovery from below. I slow-fall a key, which hits him in the middle of his up-b, and he bounces off the left lip of FD. He quickly does his up-b again as a last ditch effort, and he hits me with all but the last hit, in which I DI out of. We both start to fall, and I up-b. It pushes him up (the trampoline), and we both get caught under the lip. Then we both start to fall again, and guess who wins? The 2-d guy with the parachute.

napZzz

Smash Hero
I was g&w against a snake....and I got him to about 200% the ***** did'nt want to die and I was at about 120% and against snake thats very scary to be getting up close. I did'nt know what to do, I could risk going in for an aerial but he is waiting for that to dodge and tilt, I thought over and over again while he threw grenades and planted mines and mortar slid around the field, the whole time I was dodging it. But then, I tried a shield to grab approach and he sticks me! I grow scared, and I decide to jump at him in a last ditch effort and saw hiim set him upself up and heard NOW! Right before then I airdodged because I thought I could try to catch him in lag of a move and I dodged the mine he stuck me with and he went a flyin off screen! He was very upset lol

Cosmo!

nerf zelda's dsmash
fighting chexr's wolf on delphino at "who's best in the midwest?"

it was match 3, 1 stock each and i was at like 140%. I got a random fsmash and killed him at like 95 after the hit, winning the set

bebar

Smash Cadet
****, some crazy stuff happens. I vote nappys best one yet tho, lets hear em everyone!

napZzz

Smash Hero
fighting chexr's wolf on delphino at "who's best in the midwest?"

it was match 3, 1 stock each and i was at like 140%. I got a random fsmash and killed him at like 95 after the hit, winning the set
I've heard from some stuff from disciple on chexr's wolf, how good is it really?

and snakes my main and I love him, but I have so many **** problems fighting against him. I know his moves inside and out so its not like its too difficult for me to fight him because most snakes do the same thing for the most part. Its tilt when their close, and when they are away they cook nades, shoot nikita's, and lay mines. They mortar slide to edgeguard and maybe as an approach. Mortar spam at the edge is always what you have to get through, and the ftilt....**** that ftilt.....**** IT!

DavieBoy

Smash Apprentice
Those matches that go down to the last smash attack are always fun. I remember a few times in sudden death a snake player was getting ready to throw his hand grenade at me than all of a sudden it blew up in his hand resulting in an SD that was funny.

napZzz

Smash Hero
haha he tried to cook his nade and it backfired (literally). And there's more snake's do but I dont want to waste time in the g&w forum like I keep doing :D. Unless I write some anti snake guide....

frenchclops

Smash Cadet
Best close kill ever...my friends and I were trying to speedrun the game to unlock everything on a friend's console and we were doing sudden deaths on Norfair. Two of them died pretty quickly, and I fell off and into the lava, and as I was hit up I hit my opponent and knocked him off, causing him to die before me by a fraction of a second.

D

Deleted member

I was playing on one of my friends completely idiotic Stage Builder Stages (which is a huge box with one hole) when i got over 700% bouncing off the stupid walls. My opponent (a awesome Sonic) had like 85% because he just hit me and hit me again on the rebound bounce. So the Sonic hits me with the homing attack and i bounced towards the teeny hole (the side of the stage) and I shield right when I'm hitting the wall which cancels the momentum and i grab the edge. the sonic does the homing attack again and misses and we're both standing on the one block. We both had one stock and I knew my only chance would be to jump off the edge and pray he dies first. So i jump off and Sonic followed. I was below Sonic when I used up B and he also used up B and that stupid spring hit me! I died just as the stupid Sonic was turned into that multicolored blast thing (When you get KO'ed) I was just furious

CAPTAIN Z-X2

Smash Rookie
it was a team battle i was the ganon and my teammate was ice climbers and there opponents where ike and fox won that one the skin of my bones. the sudden death was funny but i was so nervous.

Dizzynecro

Smash Journeyman
A Team fight were my partner died i had to kill a 2 stock ROB and a 1 stock Ike with one stock and at 100%+. I won.

napZzz

Smash Hero
lol. I was ness v a game and watch. I would've won because we play by tourney rules so sudden death does'nt matter who ever has a low percent wins, so I would have won but he got a 9 somehow...1 sec..come on :/

Neb

Smash Lord
Lol, think of it as karma. G&W isn't to fond of his players playing other characters, it was probably just an anger backlash, pfft, :/. Its bologna, but how else do you explain something like that...you got 9'd, :{. I'm sure that felt different coming from someone else, lol.

SKMakou

Smash Rookie
I'm at ~100% last life against a snake who just started his last life. We were playing on Corneria though. I hear those beautiful lasers charging up jump off the edge bucket them and jump back. He actually hits me with a utilt pushing me to the edge of the ceiling. I come down get a hammer off and then boom! OIL PANIC! I win. He was really good though, he deserved to win the match.

coolbananas

Smash Cadet
Teh Valley of Justified Bemusement, Norway
I'm playing as Ice Climbers against a game and watch. Was a 5 stock match. we were both even skill level, so we both had 1 stock at the same time, and at about 100% for each of us, I made the mistake of trying to KO him with the Up+B nana hit thing, but he air dodged, ran to where I was gonna land, and up smashed me sending me off the stage, but My nana was right on his tail, and forward smashed him off the stage before popo actually lost his life. My G and W friend was so angry, he literally unplugged his controller and threw it out the window!

napZzz

Smash Hero
Lol, think of it as karma. G&W isn't to fond of his players playing other characters, it was probably just an anger backlash, pfft, :/. Its bologna, but how else do you explain something like that...you got 9'd, :{. I'm sure that felt different coming from someone else, lol.
Haha I was just playing some kid I had just met and he was g&w so I was like whatev I'll just use ness (cuz he's awesome!). And then that 9 smacked me...lol. So far I've noticed that snake matches are the epic ones muahahaha he and g&w have something going with each other.....and today off stage I fair'ed my friend (i was g&w this time) off stage into the side of the level and he somehow techs it and comes back up and I somehow lose to that **** utilt of snakes...**** THAT UTILT! **** YOU SNAKE!

Mr. Spam & Death

Smash Rookie
I was fighting a pikachu a little while back, and I was at 200 something % and he was at like 60% both on our last stock. So I had my bucket 2/3 filled up when he used his thunder, and I bucketed it. after a few close calls im at 250% and hes at 150%, I run at him and he uses his side smash. Right before it hits me, I use my oil panic. There was a minute where the oil from the bucket hit the side smash and it stopped both attacks for a sec or 2, then my oils second hit goes through the side smash and pwns that pika like a falcon punch to the testicles. awesomeness

Sanzi

Smash Apprentice
sometimes when me and my friend are on our last lives at like.... 200 percent each. we call these "heart attack moments"........ one time it was so intense tht i just paused and asked him if he wanted to call it a draw, just to end the pain,

DKKountry

Smash Ace
Corneria... Fourth Planet of the Lylat System
Some of the closest matches I've ever had were dittos. Regardless of where the character is on the tier list, if both players are adept with the character, it's sure to be an interesting match. My favorite high-tension dittos have usually been with my brother and I using either Olimar or Diddy. It's always fun because although we're both very good with the characters we choose, we have very different tactics and skills so the matches are not monotonous mirror-fights.

Top Bottom