• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Cloud Strife

Status
Not open for further replies.

hugemariofan

Smash Apprentice
Since Cloud FINALLY has a Nintendo Final Fantasy game which is exclusive on 3DS, I hope he gets in he's pretty much Square Enix's Mario

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I was wondering when a Cloud thread would pop up. If there was to be a SE rep, and either Sakurai or SE wanted it to be from FF (because otherwise DQ would be the obvious choice), then, after Black Mage, I suppose Cloud would have a chance. It's a lot of ifs though. I wouldn't expect him... ever... for Smash, unless we get like a FF7 remake or something on a Nintendo system down the line.

Here, Ill repost what I wrote in the FF thread:
I don't want to be the one that says this, but (other than possibly Black Mage) if a FF character is going to get in it's most likely going to be Cloud. Don't get me wrong, I'd much rather see someone like Terra, but Cloud's got ridiculously more popularity than any other potential FF character, and technically he has appeared on a Nintendo system. He would appeal and please the masses more than he would upset some Nintendo and FF fans, and would generate more hype and interest than other FF characters would, even taking into account all his detractors. He would most likely come in first in any hypothetical "FF in Smash" character poll, as there are alot of people that would like to see his inclusion, even if not many are here. Plus other than some generic reoccurring characters or Gilgamesh, he would probably be the best representation of his franchise, as he is the most well-known and popular FF character, and appears very regularly in FF products.

That being said, I don't think he's the most likely choice for a SE rep, just one of the two most likely FF reps. And again, I'm not a FF fangirl or a Cloud fangirl (like I said, I'd much rather have other FF characters over him), I'm just looking at it from a point of view that prioritizes the general consensus and overall reception (which is usually what Sakurai looks at as well) above a comparatively small portion of irritated fans.
Also, I would suggest expanding that OP, there's really nothing there. Like... nothing...

Oh, and Theatrhythm FF isn't exclusive to the 3DS anymore, now it's on the iOS.

What game might that be? First I've heard of it...
[COLLAPSE="Theatrhythm Final Fantasy"]
[/COLLAPSE]

JMan8891

Halfrican-American
I feel dumb, lol. I had heard about that, but I figured it was some sort of VII exclusive product. He appeared on the GBA with KH:CoM, if we are going by that line of thinking.

:phone:

3Bismyname

Smash Champion
i dont think this game is going to effect anything in terms of his chances for Smash. no character really plays a large role (if any) in the game. its not a traditional Final Fantasy which isnt a bad thing i guess but its really more of an Elite Beat Agents with Final Fantasy plastered on it. and hell wait a couple years and most people are probably going to forget this game was ever made. and yeah its on the IOS now.

Ill give you this though, this game does make him more eligable than Chain of Memories did

hugemariofan

Smash Apprentice
i dont think this game is going to effect anything in terms of his chances for Smash. no character really plays a large role (if any) in the game. its not a traditional Final Fantasy which isnt a bad thing i guess but its really more of an Elite Beat Agents with Final Fantasy plastered on it. and hell wait a couple years and most people are probably going to forget this game was ever made. and yeah its on the IOS now.

Ill give you this though, this game does make him more eligable than Chain of Memories did
Well it was a celebration of 25 years of FF does that help him a little?

shadowdude

Smash Apprentice
cloud will not be in ssb4 because he's from a playstation title like all the other ff game's except theatrythm so he's more likely for playstaition allstars if they make a second game.

3Bismyname

Smash Champion
oh yeah PSABR is doing DLC characters periodically for the next year. first pack is Emmet Graves from Starhawk and KAt from Gravity Rush coming out late Jan early Feb sometime around there. i suspect if Cloud is coming in then he'll come with Laura Croft as his rival due to both being owned by Square and Tomb Raider having a new game releasing in March

3Bismyname

Smash Champion
he is better suited for Playstation All Stars. his history is more fitted and his abilities would be better utilized.

shadowdude

Smash Apprentice
i only say cloud is more likely to appear in playstation allstars is ff is a playstation game.

If Final Fantasy were to get a character, it would most certainly not be Cloud.

He is just not very Nintendo related.

If they did pick one, I possibly see a choice from this list:

-Terra
-Cecil
-The Black Mage
-Moogle

shadowdude

Smash Apprentice
If Final Fantasy were to get a character, it would most certainly not be Cloud.

He is just not very Nintendo related.

If they did pick one, I possibly see a choice from this list:

-Terra
-Cecil
-The Black Mage
-Moogle
i'd say black mage has the best chance.

3Bismyname

Smash Champion
chances werent that good to begin with imo. at least with Final Fantasy. Final Fantasy is their main franchise with Cloud being the face of said franchise. since he's never had a major appearence on Nintendo their chances were minescule at best. but their other franchises like Chrono Trigger, Dragonquest, and Kingdom Hearts (while all good) would not identify the Square brand nearly as well as Cloud would. though they still stood an ok chance

Kuraudo

4Aerith
NNID
Kuraudo
I approve of this thread.

[EDIT]

Also, I'm not banking on getting Cloud, but (though Kojima "begged" Sakurai for Snake to be included), he really gained fame from the Metal Gear Solid series which found its mark on the Playstation. Twin Snakes helped remind folks about Snake's console NES roots, but either way.

If we get a Square-Enix rep, it'll be someone whose popular and represents the franchise well. At this stage of Smash Bros., it's gone beyond the niche of "MUST BE WITH NINTENDO", at least imo.

That being said, the 3rd party characters will be rare by comparison to the bulk cast imo. I'd be happy to have Sonic and either Knuckles or Shadow. After that, everything's roses for me.

Still though gimme Cloud plx

3Bismyname

Smash Champion
to be fair though, Snake did make far more appearences on Nintendo platforms than Cloud has. and theres a difference between begged and asked, Snake overall inclusion is due to the creaters connections, yes. but he does still have his own merits. but as far as we know Cloud doesn't have that luxury of creaters being friends and we know that his importance to Nintendo is near non existant. and i sincerely hope u arent betting on Shadow or Knuckles getting cause you'll be severely disapointed if u are

3rd Parties for SSB4 should be:

-Sonic
-Snake (MGS Snake Eater 3D) or Simon Belmont (Castlevania LoS MoF)
-Travis Touchdown
-Mega-Man

And IF there was a 5th choice:

-Pac-Man or Lloyd Irving

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Completely disagree.

Megaman
Pacman
Sonic

If room, Bomberman

3Bismyname

Smash Champion
3rd Parties for SSB4 should be:

-Sonic
-Snake (MGS Snake Eater 3D) or Simon Belmont (Castlevania LoS MoF)
-Travis Touchdown
-Mega-Man

And IF there was a 5th choice:

-Pac-Man or Lloyd Irving
Travis stands little chance. his own creator said he doesnt wanna continue with Travis anymore, trading him out for a new character altogether for a new game exclusive to mobile phones and tablets. overall he's a pretty unrecognizable character from a just as forget able series. i feel that way about Lloyd as well.

Kuraudo

4Aerith
NNID
Kuraudo
to be fair though, Snake did make far more appearences on Nintendo platforms than Cloud has. and theres a difference between begged and asked, Snake overall inclusion is due to the creaters connections, yes. but he does still have his own merits. but as far as we know Cloud doesn't have that luxury of creaters being friends and we know that his importance to Nintendo is near non existant. and i sincerely hope u arent betting on Shadow or Knuckles getting cause you'll be severely disapointed if u are
Oh I'm not doubting that. Just that when you think Solid Snake, you don't think Nintendo. You think Playstation and Metal Gear Solid. Same goes for Cloud, though Snake certainly holds more merit and has a deeper history with Nintendo. He's probably one of the most fitting 3rd Party characters that could grace the Smash series.

It's like saying "Yeah, I've moved on to new things, but I still remember how it all started. Back in Zanzibar Land. Back with Nintendo."

I'm just a fanboy of Cloud who sees the shot, but won't be surprised if it's a no-go.

And as for Shadow and Knuckles? I can see it. But I already got my true wish when I got Sonic in Brawl, and to a lesser extent, Charizard as part of the Pokémon Trainer (thank you Project: M!)

3Bismyname

Smash Champion
@hugemariofan uhm ok i don't see what that's got to do with anything. But that theory is a little flawed cause few people know that Haley Joel osment is sora. Besides the kids been better known as a voice actor for awhile now

hugemariofan

Smash Apprentice
@hugemariofan uhm ok i don't see what that's got to do with anything. But that theory is a little flawed cause few people know that Haley Joel osment is sora. Besides the kids been better known as a voice actor for awhile now

Nooo he's known for his oscar nominated performance in The Sixth Sense

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
Cloud belongs in Playstation All-Stars. (Just like Lara Croft, Gex, Kain, Sora (Disney character), etc. Most of Square Enix.) Also, Square Enix characters might not even appear in Playstation All-Stars because apparently Square is hard to work with.

Black Mage would be a better choice for Smash in all honesty.....lol rhyming.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
This thread fails to follow the standards for making a character support thread. I'm sorry, but I'll be locking the thread because of this.

If anyone wants to make a Cloud Strife thread, I'd suggest starting over, and referencing the other threads as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom