• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Cloud vs. Bowser

RebelXII

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Rebel133
I recently found myself facing a really solid Bowser, And I need some help with the MU. Any sort of help is much appreciated.

ValueMenu

Smash Rookie
NNID
RandMii
As a Bowser main, i can give you some tips. You have to respect his ground play. I hate to admit it but any energy item can pretty much wall a Bowser out as long as you use it intelligently. Use it wisely and he will have a hard time getting to you that way. You can also bait out an aerial by using clouds Neu B, spot dodge to avoid it, then short hop Up-air to start a string on him. Once Bowser get to the 60-80 percent, thats when you have to worry. Rage Bowser is amazing, even if its not that much.

Off Stage: Your goal would be to get Bowser off stage. Even though i dont have a problem with cloud, good cloud players would always try to get me off stage, and go for a gimp/stage spike/spike/trump/. (The most reliable way to end a Bowser besides a roll read). STAY AWAY FROM THE LEDGE UNLESS YOU WANT TO GET COMMAND GRABBED! I cant stress this enough. So many people think they are safe hanging out and waiting for an option. A good Bowser demands respect on the ledge. Not recommended, but in theory you could bait it out and punish with a well spaced F-Smash or Limit Neu-B. Besides that, standard get up option protocol. Personally, i love to use his Down-B on the stage to trick people, but in the tournaments iv'e played its only use is to get on the ledge faster...just don't jump below it and you'll be fine.

Platforms and Stages: Bowser, like most of the cast, cant 'be doing with' platforms. Bowsers big body and slower movement really hurts him when stuck on a stage. Use that to your advantage. Force him up there. Depending on the stage and platform, you can shark with Up-air to force him to do something. He can, however, Side-B into you if you are doing the same thing in the same area though. Mix it up. Read accordingly. Also, don't take a Bowser to TownAndCity or Battlefield. Their blast-zones are in Bowsers favor. Take him to Dreamland, Duckhunt, or FD. Starterville is neutral.

Personal Notes: Really pressure him with Clouds fast aerial, Wall him out with Neu-B, and when you go for a grab watch out for his grounded Up-B and try to get him off stage. Other than that, id practice more on basic game principles. Hes basically a walking hurt box if you use his speed and range to your advantage. One love, brother. -Value

Feel free to ask me anything, i know Bowser inside and out.

Last edited:

RebelXII

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Rebel133
As a Bowser main, i can give you some tips. You have to respect his ground play. I hate to admit it but any energy item can pretty much wall a Bowser out as long as you use it intelligently. Use it wisely and he will have a hard time getting to you that way. You can also bait out an aerial by using clouds Neu B, spot dodge to avoid it, then short hop Up-air to start a string on him. Once Bowser get to the 60-80 percent, thats when you have to worry. Rage Bowser is amazing, even if its not that much.

Off Stage: Your goal would be to get Bowser off stage. Even though i dont have a problem with cloud, good cloud players would always try to get me off stage, and go for a gimp/stage spike/spike/trump/. (The most reliable way to end a Bowser besides a roll read). STAY AWAY FROM THE LEDGE UNLESS YOU WANT TO GET COMMAND GRABBED! I cant stress this enough. So many people think they are safe hanging out and waiting for an option. A good Bowser demands respect on the ledge. Not recommended, but in theory you could bait it out and punish with a well spaced F-Smash or Limit Neu-B. Besides that, standard get up option protocol. Personally, i love to use his Down-B on the stage to trick people, but in the tournaments iv'e played its only use is to get on the ledge faster...just don't jump below it and you'll be fine.

Platforms and Stages: Bowser, like most of the cast, cant 'be doing with' platforms. Bowsers big body and slower movement really hurts him when stuck on a stage. Use that to your advantage. Force him up there. Depending on the stage and platform, you can shark with Up-air to force him to do something. He can, however, Side-B into you if you are doing the same thing in the same area though. Mix it up. Read accordingly. Also, don't take a Bowser to TownAndCity or Battlefield. Their blast-zones are in Bowsers favor. Take him to Dreamland, Duckhunt, or FD. Starterville is neutral.

Personal Notes: Really pressure him with Clouds fast aerial, Wall him out with Neu-B, and when you go for a grab watch out for his grounded Up-B and try to get him off stage. Other than that, id practice more on basic game principles. Hes basically a walking hurt box if you use his speed and range to your advantage. One love, brother. -Value

M8, This information is solid AF. I deeply appreciated.

Last edited:

Octagon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Firefly62813
3DS FC
4768-7531-8428

Bowser gives me a really tough time and this greatly helped for the matchup knowledge. I wanna add though that the short hop nair maybe a good option since it covers good space and comes out very fast. What do you think?

HFlash

Future Physician and Sm4sher
NNID
HFlash
Well spaced SH nairs one of Cloud's go to's in his general game play. Don't spam it though as a good opponent can catch onto it, perfect shield it, and catch your landing. Bowser is much better as a bait/punish character, so you shouldn't really be trying to approach him with aerials regardless.

Miley

Smash Cadet
Bowser is really bad at landing. As long as you're aware of random down B's you shouldn't just pressure with up-air. As he gets closer to the floor, make sure to fast fall your u-air so that if he air dodged into the floor you can get up-tilt out before he gets to do anything else then he's back in the air again.

He'll eventually at some point go for either d-air or down b and you punish him hard for that and let him know that's not okay.

Then you'll have them always trying to retreat to the ledge instead of trying to land directly on stage if you're juggling him hard enough

ValueMenu

Smash Rookie
NNID
RandMii
Bowser gives me a really tough time and this greatly helped for the matchup knowledge. I wanna add though that the short hop nair maybe a good option since it covers good space and comes out very fast. What do you think?
As short hop n-air may be a good approach, a good Bowser will learn to shield it and punish. With heavier characters its a good idea to keep them on their toes, make 'em move. So approach with n-air, then next time use retreating down air with Clouds extended hit box. The last thing you want is a Bowser to have time to think, it could result in your stock being lost. Keep the pressure going. Best approach iv'e seen with Cloud is abusing the down air extended hit box, making it clash, then going in for another attack. Just watch out for Bowsers rage, or it might be a trade instead.

ValueMenu

Smash Rookie
NNID
RandMii
Bowser is really bad at landing. As long as you're aware of random down B's you shouldn't just pressure with up-air. As he gets closer to the floor, make sure to fast fall your u-air so that if he air dodged into the floor you can get up-tilt out before he gets to do anything else then he's back in the air again.

He'll eventually at some point go for either d-air or down b and you punish him hard for that and let him know that's not okay.

Then you'll have them always trying to retreat to the ledge instead of trying to land directly on stage if you're juggling him hard enough
Not sure if your talking about FG Bowsers or Tournament level ones, but i honestly think Bowser has the best landing tools in the game. His side b not only negates landing lag but can scoop the opponent up if hes getting too greedy, also his down b is the best for getting onto the ledge, and can kill pretty early if the opponent gets caught off guard. His down a not only spikes, but can also push people away if too close. Its all about mixing it up. Also if he gets hit Bowsers down a will not go as far and will end in the air, letting Bowser attack out of it, with that knowledge you can side b out of it. (Personally i let people hit me so i can do that...gets them half of the time. I mix it up with forward air too, challenging almost every characters aerials.)

I do agree though, seeing a Bowser randomly do a down b makes me cringe everytime....you can pin point when he starts to cry knowing hes done. Haha.

Top Bottom