• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Cloud's Palette Swaps (Alternate Costumes)

fenyx4

Smash Journeyman
He has an alt AND a costume, actually.

Just the basic Shinra Uniform he wore in some flashbacks and a red recolor.
Oh, wow; very interesting! :o I didn't know that the Shinra Uniform actually had legitimacy as a costume from the Ehrgeiz videogame.. I hope that Cloud's hypothetical "red" costume would be along the lines of that red Ehrgeiz costume... To make room for that red costume in my "Cloud Strife alternate costume wishlist", I would probably remove (in order) the "Zack Fair" costume (because the only difference would be the hair, unless the SOLDIER outfit gets some type of decent tint) and then the "Manikin" costume (if we can't get the "False Character" alternate costumes of the Subspace Emissary, I have little hope for a "Manikin"-type costume..).

Last edited:

Kurodyne

where did i put my keys
NNID
KuroSensation
i kind of hope we don't get colors based on the party members and instead they base it on stuff he actually wore, if not generic colors

Marth's generic colors and Ryu's generic colors look a lot better than Shulk's or Lucina's awkward colors. Sure, Shulk and Lucina have a couple good ones (Reyn, Dunban, Cherche) but some look outright forced or just don't work out (Sharla, Riki, Nowi, Lissa)

i might vomit if i see Aerith's, Cid's, or Cait Sith's colors awkwardly placed on Cloud

Kurodyne

where did i put my keys
NNID
KuroSensation
Well, I think it's safe to say that his alternate red outfit (which is the same outfit that the normal one, but red) should be there...
I wouldn't be so sure
If he's being compared to Shulk so much, I might as well point out that Shulk also had alternate colored armor in his own game

I can't find any pictures of Shulk's alternate color armor, but here's Dunban's to give you an idea: http://i.imgur.com/IHpcJ.jpg

None of Shulk's obviously got used in Smash since they're all party members + swim shorts.

Last edited:

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
I wouldn't be so sure
If he's being compared to Shulk so much, I might as well point out that Shulk also had alternate colored armor in his own game

I can't find any pictures of Shulk's alternate color armor, but here's Dunban's to give you an idea: http://i.imgur.com/IHpcJ.jpg

None of Shulk's obviously got used in Smash since they're all party members + swim shorts.
Good point, but Sakurai also used some actual SF palettes for Ryu...

Shamsy

FIST OF JUSTICE
NNID
Shamsy92
Kingdoms Hearts would be the costume I'd like to see most. Maybe a palate homage to Leon or Tidus too.

Dhragen

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Dhragen
After seeing the Ehrgeiz red costume of cloud, i did some research and i assume it was based on the SOLDIER 2° Class uniform, which is red. I feel that there's a chance they could choose costume based on the 2° and 3° class (will make people to think of ShinRa Infantrymen outfit because of the color)

Maybe a palate homage to Leon
Why a costume based on a Firion's party member from Final Fantasy II, it's kind of random and oscure if you ask me. At least one based on Firion would make more sense, right? :)

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
About Shulk, Ryu and others newcomers, what matter is that most of the alt colors are references.

Obviously, there's the Koopalings, but Little Mac is full of references too, and the villagers as well. This also applies to veterans' new costumes, like Link's SS and Oni costumes, ZSS' shorts, or Metaknight's Galacta and Dark colors.

Of course we have exceptions, such as Dark Pit colors.

But no matter what, I think it's sure that we will get references of some sorts. In SSB4, there's no need to always have blue, red AND green colors anymore.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
I still think the red costume has a chance because it's an actual outfit he has in FF7

In SSB4, there's no need to always have blue, red AND green colors anymore.
Fun fact: neither Pac-Man, nor Shulk have a green costume. Duck Hunt is also in that list IF you don't count the green duck or green collar.

Last edited:

Ixbran

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
4549 - 7836 - 2775
I just need This as an alt costume for cloud, even if its just a Recolor with these details

Really, this is all I want in terms of an alt costume for cloud. I do want a KH costume, but that seems over reaching as they would need to include extra polygons for a wing and the cape. As I said this could easily be made as a simple re-texturing to his default costume.

Last edited:

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
Why a costume based on a Firion's party member from Final Fantasy II, it's kind of random and oscure if you ask me. At least one based on Firion would make more sense, right? :)
The motion sickness reference in Cloud's trailer was also pretty obscure, if you ask me.

Kurodyne

where did i put my keys
NNID
KuroSensation
About Shulk, Ryu and others newcomers, what matter is that most of the alt colors are references.
They are references, yes. I only called Ryu's alts generic because that's what they are; generic colors. He could have had palettes that referenced Akuma, Ken, Chun-Li, etc but instead he got his alternate colors from his own game.
Shulk also had alternate colored armor in his own game which could have been easily used for a blue alt and other such alts. Instead, he got colors based on party members.

Ryu got alts based on his in-game alts instead of other characters. Shulk got alts based on other characters instead of in-game alts.
Lucina got her alts based on other characters instead of other classes that she can use (color-wise, of course, I'm not expecting costumes for a costume). Villager got his/her alts based on his/her own outfits he/she can wear instead of other townspeople.

It can go either way, it's up in the air.

EDIT: And also there's a world of difference between having a small clip in the trailer that's obscure but still from FF7 and having a palette swap based on an almost totally unrelated character from a different game in the series.

Last edited:

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
I'd like a mix of in-game alts and character references.

I feel like Cloud deserves more than just either of those two.

Plus, he got the Advent Children outfit! Unless Crossdressed Cloud is in Smash, I doubt that I'd pick another costume...

mario123007

HELLO, YOU HAVE ENTERED THE DUNK ZONE
NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
So, i photoshoped Cloud's Render for make him look like a NES FF1 Warrior, and actually looks kind of cool

If they really made this, this will be my main color palette for Cloud.

Last edited:

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
I've already made like, three lists, but I think I figured a good one now.
  • First: Default
  • Second: Alternate red outfit
    • Same as first, but red instead of blue. Is an actual alternate outfit in FF7.
  • Third: Same colors as his crossdressing outfit.
    • I'd be surprised if Sakurai actually gave him the dress, but having something based on it would be great.
  • Fourth: Based on Tifa
    • White shirt, black pants, dark red gloves and boots, black hair.
  • Fifth: Based on Aerith
    • Red shirt, gloves and boots, pink pants, brown hair.
  • Sixth: Based on Barret.
    • Black shirt, green pants, brown boots, black hair.
  • Seventh: Based on Sephiroth
    • Black clothes and grey hair.
  • Eigth: Advent Children.

Last edited:

Kurodyne

where did i put my keys
NNID
KuroSensation
i just realized the person before was talking about Leon as in Squall from KH, not the obscure party member from FF2 lmao

i wouldn't be surprised to see a Squall palette but i'm not holding my breath at all.

Serell

Smash Apprentice
Shame to all of you who excluded a Zack alt costume in your alt list. Shame. Shame shame shame.

Seriously. Go buy a PSP and play Crisis Core. Yes, it is worth it to buy a PSP just for that game/amazing work of art.

Strong-Arm

Smash Ace
NNID
stormfury
3DS FC
2836-0207-2430
Shame to all of you who excluded a Zack alt costume in your alt list. Shame. Shame shame shame.

Seriously. Go buy a PSP and play Crisis Core. Yes, it is worth it to buy a PSP just for that game/amazing work of art.
Give me a zack pallette or alt and I'll die happy.

Drippy

Smash Ace
Not sure if anyone has mentioned it but I would die if his G-Bike outfit was an alternate costume even though it's highly unliekly since it's a mobile app game. I haven't played it yet nor do I real want too but the art for the game is oddly really good for a phone app game. Also am I the only one who wished he had the SOLDIER outfit from Crisis Core? I don't mean the Infantrymen outfit either but the actual SOLDIER outfit which has a very minor different design from the original. The only really difference is that there are two shoulder pads and none of the screws coming out of it which honestly looks extremely weird to me.

Last edited:

Drippy

Smash Ace
Considering the Advent Children outfit made it, anything is possible!
True I was honestly really surprised that outfit made it but considering the movie was pretty popular and I think well-received and it also makes an appearance in Dirge of Cerberus and Kingdom Hearts 2 it wasn't the most unlikely thing to happen. The G-Bike outfit is just a mobile app game and I'm not sure how well it did so it wouldn't be iconic enough to include. Honestly the Crisis Core SOLDIERs outfit with that minor little change would satisfy me. The Kingdom Hearts 1 outfit as his "Vincent" alternate would be nice too not that I would use it.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Considering the Advent Children outfit made it, anything is possible!
Advent Children outfit, yet we didn't get Armor Mewtwo. It's ALSO from a movie based on s video game! (Sort of...)

On topic, in addition to that, I'm not sure if they'd do alts based on the party, just because there's too many party members for that! Could see colors for Aeris, Tifa, Barret, Zack and Sephiroth though.

Drippy

Smash Ace
Advent Children outfit, yet we didn't get Armor Mewtwo. It's ALSO from a movie based on s video game! (Sort of...)

On topic, in addition to that, I'm not sure if they'd do alts based on the party, just because there's too many party members for that! Could see colors for Aeris, Tifa, Barret, Zack and Sephiroth though.
Didn't they do for that for Lucina / Shulk though and if you consider Fire Emblem, you technically have A LOT of party members. In addition, doing a quick Google search since I haven't played Xenoblade, apparently all of Shulk's color palettes are based off of his party members which is six of them, two less compared to FF7's Tifa / Yuffie / Barret / Aerith / Red XIII / Cait Sith / Cid / Vincent. Technically Cait Sith and Tifa share similar color palettes being Black and White and Vincent with Red XIII depending on how they do it could possibly be considered the same too.

If I'd guess though they'd probably do it on the most iconic characters from the game so a Sephiroth one probably Sephiroth one with a darker SOLDIER outfit and a pure white shoulder pad and white hair? Zack one with black hair and I'm not actually sure about outfit but I'd like to see the Crisis Core SOLDIER design which seems to be a much darker blue and two shoulder pads without the weird screws coming out the shoulders. Probably Tifa / Aerith / Vincent (homage to Kingdom Hearts 1 design posibly?) and one other random color. For all we know though, they could even just base his color palettes off of other FF protagonists too.

Last edited:

Serell

Smash Apprentice
Would definitely like to see a basic SOLDIER uniform. What Cloud has is basically his own twist on the SOLDIER uniform, but I actually prefer the basic design and liked how Zack never bothered to tinker with his uniform even when he became 1st class and was allowed to do so.

Jinlennon

Smash Cadet
NNID
Jinlennon
Sooooo disappointing...where are Zack's and Sephiroth's colours?

Last edited:
Top Bottom