• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

CNU Present;s: A CNU Event Newport News, VA 2/28 MELEE/BRAWL

SpeedYoshi

Smash Journeyman
my number: 703-966-7449
if you have any issues

Where:
CNU <-- Link
1 University Pl
Newport News, VA 23606

-take the 17 / JClyde exit for NN south
-follow that until it ends(don't turn)
-take a right
-parking lot is on your right

Venue Fee: $5 for food/drinks
Melee singles: 5$
Melee doubles: 5$ per person
Brawl Singles Entry Fee: $5
Brawl Doubles Entry Fee: $5 PER PERSON

When: Feb 28, 2009

Melee:
11am- 11pm
teams starts at noon
30 minutes for food between singles and doubles
ssign ups for singles: starts at 3pm

Melee:
General rules

* Bring your own controller.
* Double elimination bracket.
* 4 Stocks.
* 8 minute time limit.
* Items are set to "off" and "none".
* All sets are best of 3, excluding winners, losers, and grand finals which are best of 5.
* In the event of a dispute, controller ports will be selected by Rock-Paper-Scissors, or by a coin flip.
* You are allowed one stage reset on the random stage at the beginning of a set.
* No player may choose a stage they have already won on in that set unless agreed upon by both players. (Dave's Stupid Rule)
* In the case of a GameCube malfunction, the game will be restarted from the beginning, no matter what time it crashed.
* All decisions made by tournament officials are final.
* If the timer runs out, the victor is determined first by stock and then by percentage.
* Any action that can prevent the game from continuing (i.e., freezing, disappearing characters, game reset, etc.) will result in a forfeit of that match for the player that initiated the action.
* Wobbling is banned after 300%.
* Excessive stalling is banned.
* Fire Ganon is banned on Venom

Set format (In Order of Procedure)

1. Opponents choose their characters for the first match.
* Double blind character selection may be called for the first match.
2. Each player may announce one stage to be banned for counter picks of the set.
3. The first stage will be randomly selected from the starter list. Players may also agree to start on a stage.
4. The loser of the previous match announces the next match's stage from either the Starter Stage List or the Counter Stage List.
5. The winner of the previous match chooses their character.
6. The loser of the previous match chooses their character.
7. Repeat steps 4-6 for all proceeding matches.

Neutral stages
Battlefield
Dreamland 64
Final Destination
Pokemon Stadium
Yoshi's Story
Kongo Jungle 64 (Doubles only)
Fountain of Dreams (Singles only)

Counter pick stages
Brinstar
Corneria
Jungle Japes
Poké Floats
Rainbow Cruise
Green Greens
Peach’s Castle
Kongo Jungle 64
Mushroom Kingdom 2 (Doubles only)
Great Bay (Doubles only)
Mute City (Singles only)

Banned stages
Big Blue
Brinstar Depths
Flatzone
Fourside
Hyrule Temple
Icicle Mountain
Kongo Jungle
Mushroom Kingdom 1
Onett
Venom
Yoshi's Island 64
Yoshi’s Island with the pipes
Fountain of Dreams (Doubles Only)
Mute City (Doubles Only)

Brawl:

Bring.
Wiis.
...and TVs.

I can't stress this enough............oh right, and copies of Brawl haha XD

RULES:

(If you need these explained to you, please find me at the tournament or anyone I deem as a Tourney Organizer for assistance)
Prize Payout is 60/30/10 with the only possible change being that 4th place gets his entry fee returned [that's the best I'll do unless a lot of people show up]

3 Stock
8 Minute Rounds
Double Elimination Bracket
Best 2 out of 3 except Winners/Losers/Grand Finals which are best 3/5
NO ITEMS [not even Smashballs]
Team Attack ON
Life Stealing IS allowed

Bring Your Own Controller
No button modifications allowed
No "turbo" buttons may be used either
YOU ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR MAKING SURE THE CONTROLS FOR YOUR TAG ARE WHAT YOU WANTED THEM TO BE. Please take the time to make sure of that before the tournament/match starts. If you didn't take the opportunity you had to do that and realize the error mid-match, too bad: you have to play out the match.

No Unnecessary Pausing
NO COACHING IS ALLOWED. This rule is quite flexible. Ask me about it.
Standing DDD infinites [and variations thereof, like chaingrabs at an edge] are BANNED. I can't remember if I banned walk-off chaingrabs or not...someone help me make that call plz?
ICs infinites are LEGAL
No Stalling [subject to my judgment or that of another TO]

Again, please see me or another TO for further explanation if you don't understand any of these rules. We'd be happy to clarify things for you so that no one has any bull**** happen to them at the tournament.

STAGES
NEUTRAL STAGES (set to Random):
-Final Destination
-Battlefield
-Smashville

COUNTERPICK STAGES:
-Yoshi's Island (DS Version) <---NOTE: no longer a neutral. No debating this.
-Lylat Cruise
-Halberd
-Frigate Orpheon
-Pokestadium 1
-Brinstar
-Delfino Plaza
-Castle Seige
-Rainbow Cruise
-Jungle Japes

rhan

Smash Hero
Great Bay as a counterpick for doubles?! And Peach's Castle???

Fine by me! :)

I can bring a setup. T.V/Melee/Cube/Powerstrips?/VCR?

SpeedYoshi

Smash Journeyman
we don't actually have a brawl setup, although we have 3 melee setups, so we can give a tv for brawl if necessary

Poehlcat

Smash Apprentice
Great Bay as a counterpick for doubles?! And Peach's Castle???

Fine by me! :)
Yo Great Bay is the ****. Young Link is banned there, however, except in the special event of a young link ditto.

EDIT: Nice job on Present;s by the way Pat.

rhan

Smash Hero
I really hope you're not serious...... :(

Banning a character is stupid... And what's so special about Young Link on Great Bay anyway? :confused:

Hidden MachineS

Banned via Warnings
I'll be surprised if this has more than 20 people honestly. Sorry, but brawl is too dominant in this region, especially with 3 brawl tourneys happening in VA, MD, and NJ respectively.

Hidden MachineS

Banned via Warnings
Not only did I hear about it, I watched the finals while I was at planks house for his tourney. But I'm just saying that there are 2 decently big tourneys in MD/VA the same day. I really do hope you get a big turnout though.

Kukulza

Smash Apprentice
I'll drop by YRW and reserve the study lounge for the brawl players today. Like speed said, we'll need help with all the brawl stuff (Toasty!? :D) since we know next to nothing about it but its always nice to grab more of the smash community.

rhan

Smash Hero
Call up Toasty and check.

PTZR knows quite a but about Brawl. But eh who knows. He plays the AiB ladder so he should know some rules. I don't even know if he's going to this yet so meh.

toasty

Smash Hero
Norfolk/Virginia Beach, VA - IT'S SOVA, BABY! &lt;
Please use the information after the ******** line and put it in the first post for the Brawl Ruleset.

ALSO Please put Brawl [you can say it's by me if you don't want it associated with CNU XD] in the thread title. Please. =D It would help motivate people to accept the $5 venue fee for food and such if you add in that I'm trying to make it a going away party for Whodat so we'll probably use the money to order pizzas too [I'll handle that, and ALL of the drinks/snacks too if no one feels like doing it, I don't mind :)]

<3

[please COPY everything using the quote function so you also get any coding I may have in the text]

Bring.
Wiis.
...and TVs.

I can't stress this enough............oh right, and copies of Brawl haha XD

RULES:

(If you need these explained to you, please find me at the tournament or anyone I deem as a Tourney Organizer for assistance)
Prize Payout is 60/30/10 with the only possible change being that 4th place gets his entry fee returned [that's the best I'll do unless a lot of people show up]

Singles Entry Fee: $5
Doubles Entry Fee: $5 PER PERSON

3 Stock
8 Minute Rounds
Double Elimination Bracket
Best 2 out of 3 except Winners/Losers/Grand Finals which are best 3/5
NO ITEMS [not even Smashballs]
Team Attack ON
Life Stealing IS allowed

Bring Your Own Controller
No button modifications allowed
No "turbo" buttons may be used either
YOU ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR MAKING SURE THE CONTROLS FOR YOUR TAG ARE WHAT YOU WANTED THEM TO BE. Please take the time to make sure of that before the tournament/match starts. If you didn't take the opportunity you had to do that and realize the error mid-match, too bad: you have to play out the match.

No Unnecessary Pausing
NO COACHING IS ALLOWED. This rule is quite flexible. Ask me about it.
Standing DDD infinites [and variations thereof, like chaingrabs at an edge] are BANNED. I can't remember if I banned walk-off chaingrabs or not...someone help me make that call plz?
ICs infinites are LEGAL
No Stalling [subject to my judgment or that of another TO]

Again, please see me or another TO for further explanation if you don't understand any of these rules. We'd be happy to clarify things for you so that no one has any bull**** happen to them at the tournament.

STAGES
NEUTRAL STAGES (set to Random):
-Final Destination
-Battlefield
-Smashville

COUNTERPICK STAGES:
-Yoshi's Island (DS Version) <---NOTE: no longer a neutral. No debating this.
-Lylat Cruise
-Halberd
-Frigate Orpheon
-Pokestadium 1
-Brinstar
-Delfino Plaza
-Castle Seige
-Rainbow Cruise
-Jungle Japes

SpeedYoshi

Smash Journeyman
done, except the editing of the topic title(doesn't give me the option?)
also, we do have the 2nd room for extra space

MaSHi

Smash Journeyman
haha i love that cnu lobby area. with the fireplace and boardgames. that should be the venue.

MaSHi

Smash Journeyman
yep. haha if you wanna.

don't expect much rofl. =P

what was it?

$1mm on rainbow 2/3 and then $1mm on fd 2/3?

MaSHi

Smash Journeyman
haha stupid question but.....the red A means what? cause the red line circles all the way to bottom left. lol. am I suppose to just go to the A...or the red circle? haha.

speed + mash = teams? =P

nooooo?

Poehlcat

Smash Apprentice
haha stupid question but.....the red A means what? cause the red line circles all the way to bottom left. lol. am I suppose to just go to the A...or the red circle? haha.
The red A doesn't mean anything that's just where google maps put CNU when you type it in. The blue area is where you park. The building that's circled in red is where the tourney is being held. The building is called York River West.

toasty

Smash Hero
Norfolk/Virginia Beach, VA - IT'S SOVA, BABY! &lt;
c3gill - hard to say. we've got some friends from NoVa who are trying to come through and most likely and they're a group of 5 or 6 then we've got 10-15 people around here who almost always show for Brawl.

Right now I'm gonna guess a list here:

(for Brawl)

Between definite and most likely
toasty
Kadaj
Famous
D0N
MaSHi
BlackG
ESOJ
Candy
Kornnnnn~
Boss
Hey It's YO
Chaosknight
Whodat

Will probably be there or just plain maybe:
DragonCharlz [cmon man, you can't p***y out on this one! it's Whodat's going away party :(]
TheHangedMan[ditto]
Sen[...come through, son!]
JWolf [play singles this time too? <3]
ttocs
SCHOOLIEDEE?!?!?! no Johns son!!!
KILN
Gonzo

I know some of these people probably won't be there or necessarily enter in the tourney, but I'll do my best to make sure they do ^_^

MaSHi

Smash Journeyman
me definite melee and brawl doubles and singles. mashi and yoshi taking cnu son! =P

Top Bottom