• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Coin Battle Tactical Discussion

CRASHiC

Smash Hero
So, I never understood how to approach coin matches, and should I ever be in a coin match money match one day, I'd like to know what I'm doing. What are the basic strategies in coin matches?

Maniclysane

Smash Lord
Hit people, get coins.

Nado gives so much money MK is even more broken in coin matches. His multihit moves make coins everywhere. Avoid characters that don't have multihit moves.

ook

Smash Lord
^ Moves like those only give a lot of small coins. The big coins and dollar bills are worth much more.
And since your opponent can also pick up the coins after a second or so... I'd say it's better to go for strong moves that give one or two big coins/bills. Not long, weak multi-hit moves that give a bunch of small ones and leave your opponent close enough to steal them, or hit you before you can pick them all up.

Also, when you die, you lose half your coins. That's pretty much what the match revolves around.
So if at all possible, try to time your kills so that your opponent dies near the end of the match, and don't die yourself.
Because of that, camping is pretty much the way to win coin matches. :ohwell: They're kind of gay.

Though I did a $2 coin money match at the last tourney I went to, and won by 4 coins. :)

Maniclysane

Smash Lord
I would check to see what the difference between multihit and single hit moves that do the same damage before we conclude wether single or multihit moves are better.

Smash Journeyman
Captain Falcon is really really good in coin battle since he has powerful moves, fast ariels, fast running speed, and the falcon kick which beats money out of people while collecting it.

Marth and Lucario are really good too.

edit: WTF at giant signatures lately??????????

ook

Smash Lord
I would check to see what the difference between multihit and single hit moves that do the same damage before we conclude wether single or multihit moves are better.
K, I checked.
MK's fair did 10%, and gave 10 coins. MK's tornado did 15%, and gave 15 coins.
The coins were spread across the entire stage, some fell off the edge, and some could easily be picked up by the opponent.

DK's bair did 13%, and gave 16 coins. DK's uptilt did 9% and gave 10 coins.
But those were divided into fewer, bigger coins that didn't travel as far away. So they could all be easily be picked up before the opponent got a chance.

This is one of the few situations that Meta Knight's planking and air camping do not serve him as well. (:
No, they work even BETTER. Kill the opponent, then plank/camp for the rest of the match. Since you lose half of your coins when you die, and it's a timed match, the game revolves around who dies less or who dies last.

Planking/camping/playing gay is the way to win coin matches. It's stupid

Tesh

Smash Hero
You can blow yourself up with Link, Toon link and Snake for free coins. If you are really really worried about someone camping with a slight coin lead.

Kitamerby

Smash Hero
You can blow yourself up with Link, Toon link and Snake for free coins. If you are really really worried about someone camping with a slight coin lead.
Then MK drops down and dsmashes you once you reach 100% or so.

Back to the drawing board. :<

Top Bottom