• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Colorado Smash - MVG Presents: REVELATION 2 - MIDWEST NATIONAL! MVG QUALIFIER! May 16-17

Zenjamin

Smash Lord
Well, I prob do still suck, as i havent played since I last played you. (except for training mode)
but I do consider myself fairly knowledgeable. as to wha his weakness are.

spiritdragon

Smash Ace
Hey Ferdi, I would like to argue that high tier is the highest that DDD will be, even high mid tier is a possibility IMO.

DDD is excellent when you look at him on his own, statistically hardest character to kill, verry mobile in the air, chain-grab, strong, projectile, fair range, can WOP...

but against certain charcters, his speed and size will make for some verry difficult match-ups.
many of the projectile users can negate DDD's Dees, which are relatively slow, and many of those are the upper tier and popular charcters. so characters like TL, falco, and olimar can sit back and make DDD a huge spamable target and force him to come to them, and DDD's ground approach is his weakest aspect of his game.

further, DDD is unable to chain-grab about half of the cast, and all of those are in the upper half of your tier list. and the more popular ones at that. (except for marth... thank god)
? you posted yourself why he is excellent:

DDD is excellent when you look at him on his own, statistically hardest character to kill, verry mobile in the air, chain-grab, strong, projectile, fair range, can WOP...

I find projectiles to actually be a hinderance when playing against him, as any DDD I know(even myself), would simply shoot out a waddle dee, and then simply duck behind it, forcing projectile characters to move close. You also said that DDD's ground approach is one of his weakest aspect, and that's exactly it! By simply jumping(you also have 5 jumps whoamg) you become more versatile in order of approaches and tactics, as well as going over most projectiles anyway. Aside from Toon Link(which I consider the best right now), no other character can really spam projectiles against him. Maybe GaW because his black sausage is so massive that it covers DDD's entire approach.

Chaingrabs. Back in melee, Marth had the ability to chaingrab TWO characters, the spacies. That's it, yet his aerial dominance and powerful smashes allowed him to stay extremely high in the tiers. DDD, like you wrote, can chaingrab HALF the cast, that's like 17 characters including Marth, how is that not good? It's definitely not Ice Climbers but it still owns. His aerials, smashes, and tilts are also amazingly good.

Also, I'm considering adding an "Upper Tier" in between high and mid, so as to further break down the characters that fall in that category.(Peach, ICs, Olimar, etc.)

However, I do enjoy a good discussion about the tiers, as most people play a certain character more than I do, and could provide useful insights. Likewise, I need someone to explain to me why everyone thinks Olimar is so good, I would only say he'd be high mid/low upper.

InterimOfZeal

Smash Champion
whoever is arguing with ferdi is ****en dumb since this kid has as much free time and nothing to do then M2K
Is that my cue?

Most people don't know how to fight Olimar, that's why everyone cries "TOP TIER" with him. That and constant damage if he sticks you (nevermind the fact that you can just kill the pikmin/shake it off). With Olimar, you have to not care about damage.

That said, he still is probably going to be upper tier. Disjointed hitboxes of doom, no lag spammable grab, and ****ing purples are pretty obnoxious. His recovery and the fact that anything ever can outprioritize/match his fsmash and dsmash (just hafta see 'em coming and hit them) are going to keep him from being amazing later on, but he's good for now, fo' sho.

Ferdi, I still don't see why you say Peach is high/upper. I played your Peach, and I punished you the exact same way I punish every Peach ever. Shieldgrab and projectile. It didn't matter that you were able to predict and kill, I still did the rinse/wash/repeat cycle on her, and it worked. Granted, we only played one, maaaaaybe three matches (I can't 'member), but I still see Peach as mid tier, at best. Sure, she has good options, but you can negate them without even trying.

Also, Nite, she has no combos. She has fair into slap, but you can shield between slaps and punish her. GG, Peach, now stay down if you know what's good for you. Srsly.

InterimOfZeal

Smash Champion
Yeah, that's why she's not gonna sink lower than mid. Her ground game is actually reasonably decent, and it's harder to punish. Still, projectiles solve that problem.

Btw, Mike, did you want to smash today or not? I called and texted you, to no avail.

Timotee

Smash Journeyman
Tony sucks at not double posting!

As for what I think of Olimar...the sticking people isn't that great, unless you stick them right before a grab or such so that the latch stays. Apparently if you don't shake a pikmin off in the first few frames, it will stay on 8-10 rounds of dmg unless you kill it, which may be annoying depending on type/character.

But that move is mostly just for spamming people who can't get to you fast, Olimar's real strength is his ground game. Smashes with more range than Marth, but just as fast. Tether grab with non-tether lag. usmash to uair can rack up mad damage depending on the pikmins he has out. Aerial game..the only thing he's really got going for him is the super armor on his down B, which happens faster than an air dodge, and lasts for 4 out of the 6 hits in sonic's fair. Using it to reorganize your pikmins so you can throw a purple at someone on the edge is nice, but his recovery is still garbage.

Dunno, I think he's high tier material, but time will tell.

Zenjamin

Smash Lord
/shrug.
most jokes have some truth to them. but i know what you mean.

and ya, I know Ferdi is a smash Masth... but im gonna argue with him anyways.

I find projectiles to actually be a hinderance when playing against him, as any DDD I know(even myself), would simply shoot out a waddle dee, and then simply duck behind it, forcing projectile characters to move close.
I must say, this statment really confuses me...
if you carefully measure the heght of DDD (even crouching), and compare it to his waddle Dee, you will find that DDD is bigger.
seriously, DDD cant duck behind a Dee, you can just jump and then fire your lazer/bomb/arrow/boomerang/pikmin/fire/light arrow/ect...

and even if DDD could cower behind a Dee, whats to stop you from being the patient one and nailing him when he jumps out?

belive me, DDD can use the Dees as a tempoary sheild, but it will never protect him from a camping mindset.

You also said that DDD's ground approach is one of his weakest aspect, and that's exactly it! By simply jumping(you also have 5 jumps whoamg) you become more versatile in order of approaches and tactics, as well as going over most projectiles anyway.
as mobile DDD is in the air, off the stage, his jumps are a verry slow method of approach, not even faster then running. so other charcters have the option of just running a way, jumping up as DDDs jumps lose power, and spamming away.

Aside from Toon Link(which I consider the best right now), no other character can really spam projectiles against him. Maybe GaW because his black sausage is so massive that it covers DDD's entire approach.
mario cant, Luigi cant...
but with a camping and jumping mindset, i think most others can.

I can speak from experience that olimar definitely CAN.
olimar can run away and latch pickmin onto the big guy, he can throw them faster then the Dees, negating their defensive properties, so your options are to run right at him and try to spotdodge/sheild as many of them as you can (leaving you open to a grab), or to take to the air, in which case he can run away, and jump to try to latch them onto you.
again, you can try to airdodge to negate the effect, but then olimar can just use this tether or other aerials to knock you out of the air once you come out of the dodge.

ive talked to all of the top DDD players about it, and their suggestion for an olimar who knows how to camp, is to pick up a secondary.
I picked Meta-knight... my MK sucks... bad, but i know he has a better chance against TBNJ in a competitive match.

Brown NITE

Smash Apprentice
Is that my cue?

Most people don't know how to fight Olimar, that's why everyone cries "TOP TIER" with him. That and constant damage if he sticks you (nevermind the fact that you can just kill the pikmin/shake it off). With Olimar, you have to not care about damage.

That said, he still is probably going to be upper tier. Disjointed hitboxes of doom, no lag spammable grab, and ****ing purples are pretty obnoxious. His recovery and the fact that anything ever can outprioritize/match his fsmash and dsmash (just hafta see 'em coming and hit them) are going to keep him from being amazing later on, but he's good for now, fo' sho.

Ferdi, I still don't see why you say Peach is high/upper. I played your Peach, and I punished you the exact same way I punish every Peach ever. Shieldgrab and projectile. It didn't matter that you were able to predict and kill, I still did the rinse/wash/repeat cycle on her, and it worked. Granted, we only played one, maaaaaybe three matches (I can't 'member), but I still see Peach as mid tier, at best. Sure, she has good options, but you can negate them without even trying.

Also, Nite, she has no combos. She has fair into slap, but you can shield between slaps and punish her. GG, Peach, now stay down if you know what's good for you. Srsly.
Booooooooooo

Ey! Beat it
Put ferdi back up

Dabinsk

Smash Rookie
I agree with Ferdi. He is only good at high damages and there is really nothing good about his moves until he is at high damage.

spiritdragon

Smash Ace

I'm nearly sure I used her only once(I used everyone once cept for characters you asked me to use more than once like GaW and uh...someone else...Pikachu iirc). Perhaps you need to play me more, I just suck against Zelda cause really, aside from you, I've NEVER encountered ANYONE ELSE who plays as Zelda during my online matches. If you were there, combos still exist, I did a cool one on Tim last smashfest and because he didn't want me to record it(twas too good) I don't remember how it happened. Turnips are still good, floating aerials are still ****, and the slap comes out super fast now, as well as the dash attack being amazing due to the second hit. Dsmash, contrary to popular beliefs is very useful when predicting rolls because it brings them back, also works a number on shields. She has pretty good tilts. And Fsmash/Usmash kills. And remember, you're playing her with Zelda, who's Din Fire is IMO best projectile in the game. Her Usmash, Fsmash, jab plays a massive trap card on Peach's approaches due to it's somewhat disjointed range, especially since her ground game sucks. Try using someone else and see if it's just as easy.

I must say, this statment really confuses me...
if you carefully measure the heght of DDD (even crouching), and compare it to his waddle Dee, you will find that DDD is bigger.
seriously, DDD cant duck behind a Dee, you can just jump and then fire your lazer/bomb/arrow/boomerang/pikmin/fire/light arrow/ect...

and even if DDD could cower behind a Dee, whats to stop you from being the patient one and nailing him when he jumps out?

belive me, DDD can use the Dees as a tempoary sheild, but it will never protect him from a camping mindset.

as mobile DDD is in the air, off the stage, his jumps are a verry slow method of approach, not even faster then running. so other charcters have the option of just running a way, jumping up as DDDs jumps lose power, and spamming away.

mario cant, Luigi cant...
but with a camping and jumping mindset, i think most others can.

I can speak from experience that olimar definitely CAN.
olimar can run away and latch pickmin onto the big guy, he can throw them faster then the Dees, negating their defensive properties, so your options are to run right at him and try to spotdodge/sheild as many of them as you can (leaving you open to a grab), or to take to the air, in which case he can run away, and jump to try to latch them onto you.
again, you can try to airdodge to negate the effect, but then olimar can just use this tether or other aerials to knock you out of the air once you come out of the dodge.

ive talked to all of the top DDD players about it, and their suggestion for an olimar who knows how to camp, is to pick up a secondary.
I picked Meta-knight... my MK sucks... bad, but i know he has a better chance against TBNJ in a competitive match.
Have you even tried this? The waddle dees, when placed on the ground, blocks EVERY projectile except for Olimar's side B and Pit's arrows. Olimar's just goes through the dees, and Pit is the right height to be able to spam the arrow right above the dees. ROB's laser also just goes through the dees but I don't think that counts as a projectile, and you can easily block the laser, forcing him to charge up another one. Falco, Mario, Pikachu, Links, Sheik, etc. I think you're using the waddle dees the wrong way Zenjamin, once you place that first one, you jump and throw another one, and repeat thus closing the gap between you and the spammer. It is VERY hard for someone to try to SH and get a correctly placed projectile and still hit DDD, especially when DDD is crouching, usually it takes too much time anyway, cause when you jump in this game, I don't think you'll ever fall back down(man its so slow).

I don't get this part, what are you trying to say

Are you saying when DDD tries to approach and edgeguard? Or coming back towards the stage?

Now I see where you're coming from regarding Olimar, from those descriptions and running simulations in my head. And again, every character has a counter. Perhaps Olimar is DDD's. Do you see anyone else throwing pikmins and constantly damaging DDD due to his slowness? I think as time goes by, this will become an even matchup, although Olimar has great range, he still needs to get close to do ANY killing move.

what are your guys's opinions of Lucario? I like him a bunch, but according to Ferdi he sucks?
The only thing Lucario has, is the damage increase as his percentage goes up. As much as we think this is a blessing, it's not very easy to hang on to that 200% when alot and I mean ALOT of attacks will kill you at a percent that high. Plus most of his attacks are incredibly slow, and lacking KO potential. I'd put more but for right now that's really all there is to it.

D

Draknodred

good games Ryuudo, I'll want to play your Ike some more some other time. Ike is one of the characters I just haven't figured out, he rocks me hardcore :(

Ryyudo

Smash Rookie
Thanks for the games Drakno :) GGs man. Same goes for your Peach. For some reason, I just couldn't penetrate her defenses (If ya get what I mean. Eh, eh? ;D Ehhh :( .. )

And G&W seems to be hella different from Melee. You were doing things I didn't even know he was capable of and I kept falling for the same stuff often :(. Still man, GGs! I gotta learn how to fight Peach and G&W

Lol at Ice Climbers match :)

Zenjamin

Smash Lord
Have you even tried this? The waddle dees, when placed on the ground, blocks EVERY projectile except for Olimar's side B and Pit's arrows. Olimar's just goes through the dees, and Pit is the right height to be able to spam the arrow right above the dees. ROB's laser also just goes through the dees but I don't think that counts as a projectile, and you can easily block the laser, forcing him to charge up another one. Falco, Mario, Pikachu, Links, Sheik, etc. I think you're using the waddle dees the wrong way Zenjamin, once you place that first one, you jump and throw another one, and repeat thus closing the gap between you and the spammer. It is VERY hard for someone to try to SH and get a correctly placed projectile and still hit DDD, especially when DDD is crouching, usually it takes too much time anyway, cause when you jump in this game, I don't think you'll ever fall back down(man its so slow).
again, I dont understand why you are disregarding that DDD's opponet can jump to aim his projectiles over the Dees.
i know this is no issue for falco, and i cant imagine why this would be a problem for anyone else.
perhaps its hard fo you to aim it over the Dees now, but it wont be for long.

also, have you seen DDD's crouch?
its epic and a beautiful taunt, but DDD is almost as wide as he is tall. crouching does nothing to protect him.

I don't get this part, what are you trying to say

Are you saying when DDD tries to approach and edgeguard? Or coming back towards the stage?
I did word that horribly.
what I was trying to say, is this.

DDD's multiple jumps are excellent offensivly off the stage because the other guy has to DI towards DDD to try to get back to the stage.

but using his multiple jumps as an offensive means of approach against a quick charcter who has projectiles is folly, as his flossiness makes his air approach pretty slow.
so the quicker projectile user can run away, jump as you are in your 3ed or 4th jump, and hit you with projectiles or disjointed air attacks. bringing you back down to the ground, stunned, with nothing significant to show for it.

Now I see where you're coming from regarding Olimar, from those descriptions and running simulations in my head. And again, every character has a counter. Perhaps Olimar is DDD's. Do you see anyone else throwing pikmins and constantly damaging DDD due to his slowness? I think as time goes by, this will become an even matchup, although Olimar has great range, he still needs to get close to do ANY killing move.
ya, and you need to get close to olimar to avoid the pickmin, which he doesnt have do bother to let you do untill you are within killing range.... also, he really does have good range if he takes the 1.5 seconds he needs to whip out all of his pikmin.

every character has a counter
frack, you.

EDIT

D

Draknodred

Thanks for the games Drakno :) GGs man. Same goes for your Peach. For some reason, I just couldn't penetrate her defenses (If ya get what I mean. Eh, eh? ;D Ehhh :( .. )

And G&W seems to be hella different from Melee. You were doing things I didn't even know he was capable of and I kept falling for the same stuff often :(. Still man, GGs! I gotta learn how to fight Peach and G&W

Lol at Ice Climbers match :)
Yeah falling off twice at the start and then I can't handle Ike at all makes for a terrible game for me :|

spiritdragon

Smash Ace
again, I dont understand why you are disregarding that DDD's opponet can jump to aim his projectiles over the Dees.
i know this is no issue for falco, and i cant imagine why this would be a problem for anyone else.
perhaps its hard fo you to aim it over the Dees now, but it wont be for long.

also, have you seen DDD's crouch?
its epic and a beautiful taunt, but DDD is almost as wide as he is tall. crouching does nothing to protect him.
Dude, I've just tried this just now, by ducking, DDD makes himself an even harder target. Try it yourself, I SHTL with Falco and the top one(or two I already forgot) passes over DDD's height. The only way I can even remotely try to hit DDD was if I space the laser extremely carefully, and even then that's only one laser as the other ones get blocked by dees/overshoots. And during this time DDD could jump and throw another Dee in, closer to you. Fix your lag Zenja, I need to show you this.

I did word that horribly.
what I was trying to say, is this.

DDD's multiple jumps are excellent offensivly off the stage because the other guy has to DI towards DDD to try to get back to the stage.

but using his multiple jumps as an offensive means of approach against a quick charcter who has projectiles is folly, as his flossiness makes his air approach pretty slow.
so the quicker projectile user can run away, jump as you are in your 3ed or 4th jump, and hit you with projectiles or disjointed air attacks. bringing you back down to the ground, stunned, with nothing significant to show for it.

ya, and you need to get close to olimar to avoid the pickmin, which he doesnt have do bother to let you do untill you are within killing range.... also, he really does have good range if he takes the 1.5 seconds he needs to whip out all of his pikmin.
Then just roll to them, what's wrong with that? His roll is like one of the best. Plus I wrote that Olimar is a potential counter.

frack, you.

EDIT
lol

Zenjamin

Smash Lord
Dude, I've just tried this just now, by ducking, DDD makes himself an even harder target. Try it yourself, I SHTL with Falco and the top one(or two I already forgot) passes over DDD's height. The only way I can even remotely try to hit DDD was if I space the laser extremely carefully, and even then that's only one laser as the other ones get blocked by dees/overshoots. And during this time DDD could jump and throw another Dee in, closer to you. Fix your lag Zenja, I need to show you this.
thanks for that, but still, thats just against lazers, angeleable progectiles or falling projectiles are another story.

bet even against falco, doing that would limit your approach to a verry slow crouch, jump, throw, rince repeat thing. whereas falco has any number of ways to approach and counter, at any moment he can decide to stop the lazers and quickly run in there, and Usmash you while you are in the middle of a jump.

Then just roll to them, what's wrong with that? His roll is like one of the best. Plus I wrote that Olimar is a potential counter.
yes, I actually have found that that is the best option... which is a bad thing as predictable rolls are never a good thing.
i get one pikmin for every roll, and there is a good chance that i get grabbed coming out of a roll as his grab range is nuts.

P.S.
that "EDIT" I posted was a link,
sonic, ike, and other and other charcters are discovering moves they can do directly after they are Dthrown to escape the CG.

PPS.
i may have just fixd my issue. someone get online so we can test this out.

EDIT:
Frack!

Brown NITE

Smash Apprentice
reading this is kinda boring

Anywho

I rocked Lovo on wifi with shiek

I actually saved it cause of the amazing combo i did on him ^ ^

But im sure he was sandbagging that *******

And i swear
Whos the person saying i think wifi is like IRL?
I get the feeling it was tony >.>

But anyway thats false you douche

I just play wifi cause tournys will be on them

So i might as well practice for both (And i do)

Speaking of which my falcon is getting better its almost good to go just need to work on that sexy yet for some reason hard for me to use down air
I think thats all =/

Chap™

Smash Journeyman
reading this is kinda boring

Anywho

I rocked Lovo on wifi with shiek

I actually saved it cause of the amazing combo i did on him ^ ^

But im sure he was sandbagging that *******

And i swear
Whos the person saying i think wifi is like IRL?
I get the feeling it was tony >.>

But anyway thats false you douche

I just play wifi cause tournys will be on them

So i might as well practice for both (And i do)

Speaking of which my falcon is getting better its almost good to go just need to work on that sexy yet for some reason hard for me to use down air
I think thats all =/
wtf???.......

Zeela12

Smash Ace
what are your guys's opinions of Lucario? I like him a bunch, but according to Ferdi he sucks?
David uses lucario. He keeps on owning me with him. I can probably beat him with Ike if I tried harder, but Pit Vs Lucario (which is what I used most of the time) was basically like suicide.

Personally I think lucario is really good. I don't see why people are so against him. his aerials are really good, especially dAir. David just keeps spaming that, and I had no idea how to get out of it.

Lucario vs lucario is a good one, Ike is alright too. Takumi managed to beat david with lucario ditto, I used to beat him with pit, now he 2 stocks me, which is extreamly embarrassing.

Zeela12

Smash Ace
So...did you fix it or didn't you >_>

AND OMFG GUYS I FINALLY FIGURED OUT WHERE I HEARD THE SONG FROM.

This: http://youtube.com/watch?v=afNhig3DxI0&feature=related

I heard the remix of this waaaaay back from this:
http://www.ocremix.org/remix/OCR00996/
If you liked that, here's another remix of Corneria. by CarboHydroM, this has lyrics to it and all, good song.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=HCY_280WiI4

download it here:

http://carbohydrom.free.fr/music/CarboHydroM_-_StarFox_Forever.mp3

Demolisho

Smash Apprentice
David uses lucario. He keeps on owning me with him. I can probably beat him with Ike if I tried harder, but Pit Vs Lucario (which is what I used most of the time) was basically like suicide.

Personally I think lucario is really good. I don't see why people are so against him. his aerials are really good, especially dAir. David just keeps spaming that, and I had no idea how to get out of it.

Lucario vs lucario is a good one, Ike is alright too. Takumi managed to beat david with lucario ditto, I used to beat him with pit, now he 2 stocks me, which is extreamly embarrassing.
I honestly can say, in all the honesty I'm using which is honest. That the spamming of the dair is something you learn to get out of, just like Pit's arrow spam and his >B spam. (Don't try to attack underneath him)

Zeela12

Smash Ace
I honestly can say, in all the honesty I'm using which is honest. That the spamming of the dair is something you learn to get out of, just like Pit's arrow spam and his >B spam. (Don't try to attack underneath him)
Yeah of course. I think I just need to grab more. We didn't really play that many games anyways. For Pit, there's really no options of attacking from above. It's probably no real problem anyways lol.

Demolisho

Smash Apprentice
Yeah of course. I think I just need to grab more. We didn't really play that many games anyways. For Pit, there's really no options of attacking from above. It's probably no real problem anyways lol.
Grabbing is your friend indeed. Indeed it is indeeded.

Top Bottom