• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Colorblindness.

XienZo

Smash Lord
thats why they gave the red one noses, yellows ears, blue ones mouths, purples hair, and whites.... weird eyes.

Olimarman

Smash Ace
That why you don't main Olimar. I don't mean to be insensitive, but its the truth. Its too hard to play without colors.

OlimarFan

Smash Ace
How do you think an Olimar player would go about getting around this?
You have colour blindness? :(
How bad is it? If you can't identify any of the colours, look at the size of the Pikmin.

Purple Pikmin=Fat
White Pikmin=Small
Big Ears=Yellow

Arg, Red and Blue Pikmin are pretty much the same in size...

CometStar

Smash Apprentice
I don't have color blindness. Sorry for the confusion. I was just wondering how those who do would go about getting around it. I know how important it is to know what colored pikmin do what. The idea of the thread popped up into my mind when I was looking over the SBR Rule Set for Brawl when I saw this:
Color Blind rule: Should a player have a color-based disability, he or she may request in a teams match to have a specific color for their team. This is so characters such as Lucario or Sonic can be granted the blue team so that there is not unnecessary confusion.
When I saw that I immediatley thought about Olimars play and how it could be affected.

DarkStraw

Smash Apprentice
There are differnt kinds of color blindness, some can see some colors but not all etc. I dont think they would have too much trouble distinguishing between the differnt color pikmin except for red and blues.
they might be able to change their TV color settings to fix this.

I know someone who is colorblind and he can see colors its just he cant tell the difference between some colors like blue and green etc.

CALOZ

Smash Apprentice
imo i dont think he will main him. And does the pikmins always change or does a colorblind person see the same color?

~Peachy~

Creator of delicious desserts
Pikmin have other differences from each other besides color......

Purple = The Rosie O' Donell looking ones.

Red = Long noses?

Blue = no ears, weird mouth.

Yellow = Enlarged Ears.

White = Smallest? Biggest Eyes?

I'm pretty sure that's how it goes. Although... Someone may have to look really close to the screen to notice the differences. ;)

Puddin

Smash Lord
thats why they gave the red one noses, yellows ears, blue ones mouths, purples hair, and whites.... weird eyes.
Yes, yes, I have the time to check if I'm about to throw I pikmin with a Nose or a Mouth or Ears.

They Pikmin are small, and it's hard enough to manage your colors let alone their teeny tiny body parts on the screen.

Why people continue to suggesting to check their body parts I do not know.

~Peachy~

Creator of delicious desserts
Why people continue to suggesting to check their body parts I do not know.
It's because that's another way how the pikmin are distinguished. ;)

If you can't see the differences, get a bigger TV, problem solved. (Just kidding) ;)

But really... people with disabilities find other ways to cope up with life and the things in it. People who are blind have a more acute sense of smell/hearing. I'm sure a colorblind person would find some way to distinguish the differences.

Btw, color blind people can still distinguish shades, and seeing how the Pikmin are lighter in color than others, maybe they can still be identified by shades.

White (lightest shade)
Yellow ( Second lightest )
Red (Third)
Blue ( Second Darkest)
Pikmin ( Darkest Shade)

^^ That's just a theory, but combined with some of the obvious facial feature differences, color blind people can find ways to tell the differences in pikmin.

Plum

Has never eaten a plum.
Premium
It would also depend on how colorblind you are. If you only can't see red, there is no problem. The gray ones are red :p
But if you are very unlucky and can't see any of the specific colors, stay away from Olimar. Yes, they do have body features but the only ones I can really see this working with are purple and white. They are different body sizes and it would be easy IMO to see it even without color. The others though are just too small. Yellow might have a chance with big ears but the nose and gills on reds and blues would be too hard.

Barge

All I want is a custom title
Most colorblind people can see the primary colors, red blue yellow

Jadedlink

Smash Apprentice
You could also use the whistle. It has a preset order. I use it to order my pikmin. Sometimes I look at the colors, other times I just count the number of whistles.

TheREALShadowChaos

Smash Journeyman
You have colour blindness? :(
How bad is it? If you can't identify any of the colours, look at the size of the Pikmin.

Purple Pikmin=Fat
White Pikmin=Small
Big Ears=Yellow

Arg, Red and Blue Pikmin are pretty much the same in size...
Most forms of colour blindness only means that you cannot see the different between two colors.... For example some people can't tell green apples from Red ones but can see all other colours.

The kind of colour blindness that you can see no color is extremely rare.

Colourblind people can see better in the dark BTW. That is a fact. If your colorblind your eyes will become more sensitive for light.

Kyas

Smash Journeyman
Most forms of colour blindness only means that you cannot see the different between two colors.... For example some people can't tell green apples from Red ones but can see all other colours.

Colourblind people can see better in the dark BTW. That is a fact. If your colorblind your eyes will become more sensitive for light.
This is because, in the eye, you have a smaller number conic receptors (which detect color) and a larger number of cylindrical receptors (which detect light) than the average person, right?

OlimarFan

Smash Ace

Really? Wow, that's pretty cool! I wanna be colourblind so I can see people in the dark!

Top Bottom